Start by marking “Too Wyrd (Runespells, #1)” as Want to Read:
Too Wyrd (Runespells, #1)

Read Book

Too Wyrd

(Runespells #1)

Nicola was never a hero. She was an everyday single mother, Heathen witch, and herbalist. And she was happy with her quiet life until the night Joseph showed up at her door with news that her step-sister joined a cult… and disappeared.

Pressured by family loyalties, Nicola goes back to Indianapolis, dodging old enemies and calling on old friends to help her. What she finds
Published September 8th 2016 by Black Rose Writing

To ask other readers questions about Too Wyrd, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Dianne
Give me a heroine with attitude, an excellent reason for wanting to keep the world safe, a bit of an unlucky streak, attitude, great friends and allies, and attitude. Thank you Sarah Buhrman for introducing me to Nicola! With a title like TOO WYRD I KNEW I was in for something special in the urban fantasy genre. Guess What? I got it in spades!

Nicola is your average Heathen witch. She is also a single mother who will do anything to protect her child, so I guess that alone makes her a hero in my b
C.L. Cannon
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never have I read a book with a more vivid imagining than Too Wyrd.

This book was so well-written that I forgot that I was reading at all. I became Nicola. Her experiences became my own. Every sight, sound, taste was a vivid rendering within my mind. The astral scene was exquisitely done. I found myself falling in love with these characters and this word. The banter is witty and entertaining. The relationships are believable and raw. This is easily the best book I have read this year. I cannot wa
Sable
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was requested to review this book by the author, Sarah Buhrman, a friendly acquaintance of mine from a mutual Facebook group.

To the modern Pagan, magic doesn't work like it does in the movies. Or in the sagas. Or the Eddas. A modern Pagan who practices magic believes that they are bending probabilities. For example, if one were to do a spell for more money, that money might arrive in the form of an inheritance, a $20 bill lying on the sidewalk, or a raise at work. It will take the path of leas
Aldii - perfectioninbooks
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
*3.5/5 stars*
Main problem with this: how hard it was to get into.

The writing:
I found quite hard to get into the story, I didn't feel entirely comfortable with the writing. I enjoyed the single POV but maybe other could have been good too.

The Story:
The world building in this was just amazing. I loved the world in this book, how the author took time to really think about the world and how it worked. We get a lot of explanations, of 'why it's the way it is'. I really enjoyed that. The mythology in
Donald Firesmith
In Too Wyrd, the first book in her Runespells series, Sarah Buhrman has crafted an exciting story with an inventive plot, good characters (especially the main protagonist, Nicola, and her good friend, Joseph), memorable dialog, and lots of exciting action. I generally enjoyed the religious backdrop in which all pantheons of gods, demigods, and demons exist, and it was interesting to see the Norse god Odin and the Valkyries as the good ones opposing the Jewish/Christian ones, who were the bad one ...more
G. Gaynor
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.33 out of 5 stars!!!

Talk about one edit from magnificence! What a surprisingly good ride into a hidden world!

Getting the little things out of the way, I would have appreciated a more fleshed out description of the characters. I was also a little distracted at how the MC changed to suit the pantheon in question. it would have been better if such a perspective had been established before the revelation of the driving issues.

The supporting cast was somewhat limited to two-dimensional capacities.
Chandra Fry
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
This book was fascinating, fun, inspiring, intriguing, and just kept me hooked! I highly recommend it!
Deliaria Davis
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Now Runespells, you may be thinking to yourself, what are those? Well, if you enjoy Marvel movies, or comics, then you may have a small understanding of what they are. The Thor comics and movies mention them. The sacred Runestones that Heathen Scrys us to read fortunes, are designed off of these legendary stones. Which if ever fallen into the wrong hands, could start Ragnarok. Now hold on, hold on, hold on. You are either going, I remember something about that! Or, you just shook your head and a ...more
Rob Edwards
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Too Wyrd by Sarah Buhrman we get a fascinating vision of magic in a modern setting, with a dash of Norse mythology and a solid helping of approaching Ragnarok.
Nicola is a single mother and pagan, looking for a quiet life. But when she hears that her ex is running a cult and her half-sister has joined it, Nicola is reluctantly pulled into a role she doesn’t want: hero. Can she untangle her sister and prevent Ragnarok?
For the most part, the way magic works in Nicola’s world is wonderful. That N
Michelle Cornwell-Jordan
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Too Wyrd: Runespell Series: Book 1 is now one of new favorite series! I really do not know where to begin. How do you describe a read that's altogether different, fresh and unique?! Well I guess I just did! lol.

Nicola goes on a what she thinks is another "rescue" mission to save her ill guided step-sister Muriel. But the mission becomes a quest and so, so, so much more! Too Wyrd is a reader's deluxe stew of yummy! Seriously it has everything! Adventure and action, kick butt warrior Valkyries and
Ailyn
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in exchange for a fair review

Too Wyrd is an urban fantasy that is full of mystery and drama. Nicola thought she had left all her trouble behind, but it is knocking at her door in the first book of the Runespell series. The story starts a little slow, but it quickly becomes a tangled web that draws me in. It is easy to see that the story has a strong background and the author had a setting that works with her characters.

Nicola and Joseph returns to Indianapolis to find Nicola
Melissa Rothman
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I won this book in a giveaway and I must say I did enjoy it I loved the cover, the story plot line was very interesting with lots of drama, the only thing I found that I thought needed a bit more clearer explanation on was the details of the gods like Odin I'm not very familiar with them so it came across a bit muddled for me. I did like the uniqueness of the physic and pagan myths and powers all in all I liked it and do recommend to others and thank you Sarah Buhrman I loved the bookmarker and ...more
Kyrja Kyrja
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers who enjoy exciting adventures!
What a thrilling adventure! Sarah Buhrman masterfully weaves the mythos of the Norse Pantheon into the chaos that is the modern world with exceptional care, skillfully crafting the story so if you’re not careful, not only will you eagerly turn each page to find out what dangers lie ahead, you just might learn something along the way! Realistic magic, authentic mythology, horrific monsters , and heroes – both reluctant and legendary – along with a generous dash of science, coalesce to provide you ...more
Becky Baldridge
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written, captivating story and characters, and heart racing action. I was absolutely riveted from the very first page. Nicola's tale starts out simply enough with a trip to find her wayward step-sister, but quickly turns into a non-stop race filled with demons, the Norse pantheon, a deadbeat ex, and a persistent detective. This is my first read by Buhrman, but it certainly won't be my last!
Aly
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was very interesting. I enjoyed it very much. It really appealed to me with the Norse mythology in it. I think that is not used is these types of storied very often. I was taken by the story and the characters. Everything was easy to understand in the book and it moved at a speed I was good with and the plot was exciting for me to read. * I received this book from the author--this is my honest review*
S.K. Gregory
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nicola is a great character. She is trying to live her life when she is dragged into her ex's drama. Add magic to the mix and she's in for a rough ride. Well written, solid characters and a good story. I would recommend it.
Lucinda
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a decent enough book and I enjoyed it. I learned more about the Norse god pantheon and myths. I did enjoy the interaction between Nicola and Joseph the most. Those two were just hilarious. All in all, I recommend the book.
Watson Davis
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
There’s so much I loved about this book, but so much I didn’t.

The world-building is very cool. The story takes place in Indianapolis and is mostly on the streets, with an emphasis on runaways and cast-offs. The magic depicted is very subtle and symbolic, based on real, fringe, new-agey ideas. I liked that.

The story depicts a world where many different pantheons and belief-systems exist side-by-side, each valid and true in their own way—although there is a pro-pagan/anti-Judeo-Christian slant. Bu
 Diana Davis
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Too Wyrd: Runespell Series: Book 1 Kindle Edition
by Sarah Buhrman
Disclaimer: I received and electronic copy of this book for review purposes

I don't even know where to start with how fantastic this book is. The depth and breadth of knowledge of Norse Myth? The deep and hilarious discussion of magical quantum theory? The discussion of the Hero's Journey held between the reluctant heroine and her herald? In jokes and pop culture references, from Aladdin to Spiderman splattered about

This book is bot
Beth
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is not my normal genre too read, so that was a huge difference for me, supernatural genre, I did enjoy the read for a change. Great for the YA audience, cool cover. Love these well thought out characters, intriguing plot, very creative. I look forward to checking out more from Sarah soon enough. Glad to have the chance to read it.
Yvonne Davies
With Muriel missing, and her ex starting up a cult, Nicola knew that she had to find out what was going on. Taking her best friend Joseph with her, she finds herself in the middle of potential war against the Norse gods. After a Valkyrie helps them confront her ex, Nicola got tricked to accepting a mission to find all the Runespells and save the world.
Whilst I enjoyed the story, I felt that results were achieved pretty quickly and at times without conflict. Nicola’s character was confusing as sh
Tresa
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
What an unusual unique story. A storyline involving Odin, different Parthenons, and Ragnarok... I found it a bit difficult to really get into at first, I kept picturing Tom Huddleston, Chris Hemsworth and such, BUT as the book progressed I became more invested in the MC Nicola, the action picked up, other characters weren't what they seemed. I ended up truly enjoying Too Wyrd, so if you find yourself lagging, definitely keep going!!!
L.N. Denison
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story from its very first page. It sort of drags you straight in, and you find yourself relating to the characters very quickly. I loved the way the story was told in the first person from Nicola's perspective. It's a mixture of Fantasy, mythology and real life, with a great tale built in to all its finery.

The dialogue was clever and the whole narrative, well written. If you like something a little bit different that combines most of the elements of a good, what I would cal
Annette Jordan
A modern magical tale, this work of urban fantasy is certainly entertaining. Meet Nicola, modern witch, herbalist and single mom, and now apparently hero. Through no choice of her own she becomes caught up in a dangerous adventure, involving Nordic runes, Norse Gods,Valkyries, demons and suspicious cops, all in an attempt to prevent Ragnarok and the death of most of Earth's population.
A smart, spunky heroine with a believable amount of struggle and fear make this a book that is easy to relate t
Dawne
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this story and look forward to the next installment.
InD'tale Magazine
3.5/5.0

“Too Wyrd” is an urban fantasy featuring a refreshingly ordinary heroine, despite her witchy abilities.

Read full review in the 2017 September issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Dan Melson
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
The Good:

The writing flows well. I was able to (mostly) keep reading smoothly. The elements of magic and fantasy feel organic and not forced. Works around the flaws in the protagonist to send the story where it needs to go.

Lengthwise, this is an actual novel, unlike many Amazon books that tease you into buying a novelette length serial installment. The author is selling you a novel's worth of reading, not a teaser that you're done with in ten or twenty minutes and asking "where's the rest?".

The
Leo McBride
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some books just get you. They just catch you right - and Sarah Buhrman's first book in her Runestones saga does that with me.
It's the story of single mother Nicola - who discovers her sister is mixed up with a cult and sets out with her best friend Joseph to try to rescue her. The kicker? Nicola's also a heathen witch. And it turns out this cult actually could bring about the apocalypse.
Plunging headlong into a world of urban fantasy, with Norse gods and the possible coming of Ragnarok, this i
Misfits farm
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Fantasy meets reality- of sorts. A world in which “others” live amongst and as humans but have powers. Then again so do the humans. A fairly lighthearted look at the fantasy world set in modern times, with a main character who has a big heart. A well written enjoyable unusual novel
I voluntarily chose to read this ARC and all opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased
Amanda Steel
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked the characters in this especially the main character Nicola and her best friend Joseph. Although Nicola is the one who has to step up and be the hero; all good heroes need help. Obviously I enjoyed the all the magic and mythology too. It made me laugh (in a good way) that the ex with super powers was called Keith (such a none scary name)
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Making Connections: 5275. - TOO WYRD (Runespells #1) by Sarah Buhrman 1 10 May 21, 2018 06:56PM
Need A Reviewer? ...: Urban Fantasy - Adult (not romance) 1 8 Jan 08, 2017 03:57PM
Norse Mythology as Fantasy Plot 1 1 Sep 27, 2016 03:37PM
Sarah has been writing for more than 25 years. She lives in the middle of nowhere with two monsters (the kids), an ogre (the hubby), and whatever drama-llama is coming to visit this week.

Sarah is the author of several books, including books 1 and 2 of the Runespell series, Too Wyrd and Fluffy Bunny, respectively. She has short stories in several anthologies, such as Twisted: A Horror Anthology, Ch

Runespells (2 books)
  • Fluffy Bunny (Runespells, #2)