Start by marking “You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone” as Want to Read:
You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone

You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone

Eighteen-year-old twins Adina and Tovah have little in common besides their ambitious nature. Viola prodigy Adina yearns to become a soloist—and to convince her music teacher he wants her the way she wants him. Overachiever Tovah awaits her acceptance to Johns Hopkins, the first step on her path toward med school and a career as a surgeon.

But one thing could wreck their c
384 pages
Published January 2nd 2018 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone, please sign up.
Rachel Solomon Yes, that was the original title! It was always kind of a placeholder title -- I felt there had to be something out there that fit the book a bit…moreYes, that was the original title! It was always kind of a placeholder title -- I felt there had to be something out there that fit the book a bit better. Fortunately, my publisher agreed, and though it sold with the title FINGERS CROSSED, we brainstormed new titles, and YOU'LL MISS ME WHEN I'M GONE wound up being everyone's favorite!(less)
Annie AnniesBooks / AnniesJournals
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
The Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWar Storm by Victoria AveyardQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
1,052 books — 5,157 voters
Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi AdeyemiThe Hazel Wood by Melissa AlbertSky in the Deep by Adrienne YoungEverless by Sara  HollandAmerican Panda by Gloria Chao
YA Debuts 2018
156 books — 632 voters

More lists with this book...

Lola
Not many know this, but my father died from cancer when I was a baby. I don’t remember anything about him. All I know is what I’ve been told and what I’ve seen in family pictures.

Like Tovah and Adina, who underwent a genetic test for Huntington’s disease, my brother and I could get tested to see if we risk developing leukemia, like our father did, but because our family prefers not to dwell on the past, this isn’t something I’ve thought about before.

Until I read this book. What if my brother a
Elyse Walters
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Tomorrow , when we turn eighteen, Adi and I will take a genetic test that will tell us whether we’ve inherited
our mother’s Huntington’s disease, the asteroid that knocked our family out of orbit four years ago. The black hole swallowing her up".
Tova and Adina ( Adi), are Fraternal twins.
Adi doesn’t feel ready to take the test. She doesn’t want to know.
Tova does want to know.

Because of a past incident a couple years ago between the sisters - Adi has promised she would take the test with her
Heather
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 1/2

I really enjoyed this book. It was about 2 things I don’t read about to often; The Jewish culture & Huntingtons Disease. It also was about family to the core. Even though Adi and Tov are fraternal twins they are not close anymore and barely speak. Throughout the course of this book we see them finally get closer and try to understand each other.
📖

Huntington’s Disease is horrible and so scary. I felt for this family so very much. It was scary watching one of the twins learn that she will
Rachel Solomon
Update on 1/2/18: YOU'LL MISS ME WHEN I'M GONE is officially out in the world today!!

Update on 11/14/17: Now that advance copies are out in the world, I want to note that this book deals with heavy issues that aren't evident from the description. Adding a TW here for self-harm and suicidal ideation. If you would like specific page numbers or further information, please let me know, and I'm happy to provide that. You can contact me through my website: http://www.rachelsolomonbooks.com/con....

Up
Navessa
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Sonatas and concertos tell stories. They make you feel every possible emotion, sometimes all within a single piece…they are joy and tragedy and fear and hate and love. They are everything I never say out loud.”

There are a lot of truly lovely and meaningful quotes I could have used from this book to start my review of it, but the above best sums up this reading experience. Adina and Tovah’s story is full of joy and tragedy and fear and hate and love.

I have two sisters, and Adina and Tovah’s si
Jasmine
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone. Diverse readers especially. Trigger Warnings.
***Actual rating: 5/5 Tov Stars***

The thin ivory candles in the middle of the table are a third their original height. Jews are not to extinguish them; we are supposed to let them burn on their own instead. That’s what I have been taught.
Tonight I lean over and blow them out.

It’s official! You’ll Miss Me When I’m Gone just drew my reading year of 2017 to a close perfectly. Wow, I don’t even know where to begin with this splendid piece of writing by the lovely Rachel. This book is highly ed
Kat
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-2
Wow, this was a hard book to read, but really well written. Chronic illness and SERIOUS chronic illness is an issue that not enough books touch on, or often when they do, it’s often with a very light hand. I really appreciated the way author Rachel Lynn Solomon handled this heartbreaking look at the effects of Huntington’s disease, and the decision by two sisters to be tested after watching their mother slowly get worse over the course of four years since her diagnosis.

Tava and Adira are very d
Karlita | Tale Out Loud
Adina and Tovah Seigel may be twins but they were entirely different in every sense possible. The only thing that they have in common was the hate and jealousy they felt for each other.

Adina is a viola prodigy who devoted her whole life in it. She took her music very seriously and was not afraid to take the risk, being comfortable with her own skin or bringing herself with confidence and pride. She also had private lessons with her Indian music teacher, Arjun and her passion in becoming a solois
Andrea
This was such a haunting read.

I can’t give this anything less than 5 stars because I devoured it. I read it in one day, and by the end of it I was emotionally drained. This story broke my heart over and over again. I had to take little breaks between chapters to just catch up on my thoughts.

This follows two estranged sisters, who are complete opposites. One artistic and outgoing, and the other academic and an introvert. After their 18th birthday, they are tested for Huntington’s, which runs in
Dahlia
Oh, this was really, really good. And yeah, I'm excited to see more Jewish rep in YA that isn't Holocaust-related, but as a sister book, as a coming-of-age, as a book about teens looking to the future, as a book about examining your own worth through other's eyes, as a book about familial relationships on the whole...yeah, this is good.
Karen McManus
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A complex, nuanced book with a sibling story at its heart that's unlike anything I've read before. Rachel Solomon knocks it out of the park with this debut.
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

Gah, where do I even start, friends? So a lot of you know that I have been slumping, hard. For like, many months. And no book was able to really and truly "wow" me. Well, that is until I read You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone. Yep, Rachel Lynn Solomon, with her debut, no less, managed to break a slump that lasted the better part of a year. That is how good this book is. And now I am going to
nick

Wow! Just wow! Can I leave my review at that? Because honestly, I don’t feel like any review I write for You’ll Miss Me When I’m Gone is going to do the book any justice. It’s such a breath-taking story, and it’s one that made me feel all the emotions. This might only be Rachel Lynn Solomon’s debut, but judging from this piece of work, she’s here to slay.

This was such an emotional story, and not one that was easy to get through. I knew I had to mentally prepare myself for the waterworks that was
Marty :} (thecursedbooks)
Before I start reviewing this book, I want to tell you that You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone by Rachel Lynn Solomon is probably my favourite book of the year. It's one of the most powerful reads of mine, it was raw, it made me feel things. It was absolutely perfect and when it comes out in January, please make sure you read it because you have no idea what you're losing on.

"I thought I could force him to love me. Relationships are not about control, though, and perhaps that is why I have never had
Jen Hawkins
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read an early draft of this beautiful, haunting book as a sensitivity reader.

As the member of a family battered by Huntington's Disease, I believe with all my heart that this is an important book that everyone should read. It's conversely beautiful and tragic, and not in the ways you might think. The author paints the nuances of this disease with a deft and empathetic hand. Devastating realities are balanced by the complicated (but redeeming) love of sisters.

The Jewish culture presented is l
Ava
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I'm speechless. Preorder this beautiful, haunting book, please.
rachel
Edit: Dec 2 2016: This book just keeps getting better. OMG <3.

***
THIS IS MY CRIT PARTNER'S AMAZING DEBUT!!!!!!!!!

I have read many many drafts of this beautiful, important book. YOU'LL MISS ME WHEN I'M GONE is about two sisters, Adina (Adi) and Tovah (#TEAMTOVAH!!!), as they deal with their mother's Huntington's disease, college applications, romance/sex/love, being Jewish and what the heck that means (and if G-d even hears us when we're praying/upset/etc.), and what living - truly living - me
Julie Zantopoulos
This is the first book that I've read that had a heavy focus on the Jewish faith, practices, traditions, and language and it was wonderful! It was diverse not just in religious and cultural ways but also in the racial differences of love interests and physical illness rep (Huntington) as well. I was impressed by how well all the different topics merged into a well-told, cohesive, and touching story.

Tovah and Adina were complex and complete characters and I loved their interaction with their pee
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Fraternal twins await test results to see if either has inherited Huntington Disease from their mother, who is slowly losing her battle with the illness. Tovah plans for medical school while Adina, a viola prodigy, wants to study music. When one tests positive and the other negative, the rift between the sisters becomes a chasm.

I’ve known a few people with Huntington Disease which, in my opinion, is second to ALS in diseases I most fear. 100% of the people with the gene develop the illness and c
Vicky Who Reads
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: drcs, wishlist
5 stars

Oooooh this is a really good debut, you guys. I love all the themes about family, sisterhood, friendship, love as well as the darker things that are happening (TW) like depression and life-decisions.

Rachel Lynn Solomon's debut, You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone, is a heart-wrenching novel about sisterhood, love, and loss.

Eighteen-year-old twins Adina and Tovah are vastly different, the rift between them widening with each passing year.

Adina is a viola prodigy who yearns to be a soloist--and co
Chelsea
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a heavy hitter. I knew it was going to be a tough read from the synopsis but I didn’t realize how hard. This book takes some dark turns. Where I was expecting it to turn into a wholesome family bonding, coming of age, dealing with tough times and grief with loved ones, it sidestepped. Both these sisters are overly ambitious which also means they are overly critical of themselves and each other. While I don’t think either girl is particularly likable, you are still rooting for them even i ...more
The Bookavid
i love this cover so much.
Sierra
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Content warnings: suicidal ideation, self-harm, chronic illness

I barely have words for how much I adore YOU'LL MISS ME WHEN I'M GONE, but, I shall try my best.

I didn't hate Adina. She might frustrate and infuriate me, embarrass and humiliate me, but I didn't hate her. I never could.

But tonight I came close.

EXAMINING SISTER RELATIONSHIPS
The relationship between reserved, grunge and biology-obsessed Tovah and headstrong viola prodigy Adina is unlike any other sibling relationship I've seen in YA.
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“You can spend lifetimes searching tragedies for reasons why.”

This was such a great human story. Everything felt so real and earnest. We follow estranged twin sisters, Adina and Tovah, as their lives are changed after one of them tests positive for Huntington's Disease - the same disease that has caused their mom so much pain. Now each girl must reconcile their futures, their faith, and their relationships in the face of this new information.

I really liked that Adinah and Tocah were just so huma
Jen Petro-Roy
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was fantastic. At first glance, Adina and Tovah are what critics of YA would call 'unlikeable protagonists.' But for me, that's code for 'well-developed and nuanced characters who are written unapologetically, with consideration for the full spectrum of emotions.' I loved the information about Judaism and their passions for viola and science.
Rachel Strolle
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
20 million stars/5
Kael
Physical TBR Series - Book 6

For more info on my Physical TBR Series click here.

This story revolves around a set of estranged Jewish fraternal twins, Tovah and Adina. After their 18th birthday, they undergo a test that will tell them whether or not they will inherit their mothers Huntington’s Disease. While one of the twins tests negative, the other tests positive. Obviously, this drives an even bigger wedge between the sisters.

*I will be spoiling the test results in my review, however it is reve
Shealea
You’ll Miss Me When I’m Gone is a heartbreaking, poignantly written tale that touches familial relationships, Jewish culture and religious practices, and the exhilarating thrill of first loves, while simultaneously addressing physical illnesses and mental health. It should be noted, however, that the novel also contains heavy content such as self-harm and suicidal ideation. A trigger warning has been provided by the author herself.

I picked up You’ll Miss Me When I’m Gone as my first read of 2018
Rachel Reeves
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher for providing a digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This is a wonderful dual POV narrative with twin protagonists (as a mother of twins, I am always drawn to book with twins in them). Each girl has such a distinctive voice, and there is so much to love about each of them. Even when they were frustrating, they were complex and interesting, so I loved reading their story. I also loved how so much of the Jewish religion and culture was part of the
K.A.
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this book from the first words.

The author's voice was spellbindingly beautiful, soft, delicate but strong. I felt every emotion deeply while reading. I loved Adina's passion for music, Tovah's love for science, and both of their very real, very honest flaws. This lyrical story is filled with the real-life traumas and chaos of a family tearing apart at the seams. Of twins ripped apart by disease. It has a slow, soft quality that is deep and rare and addicting. The perfect voi
Rachel Lynn Solomon lives, writes, and tap dances in Seattle, Washington. Once she helped set a Guinness World Record for the most natural redheads in one place. She's the author of You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone (out now from Simon & Schuster/Simon Pulse), Our Year of Maybe (1/15/19), and Today Tonight Tomorrow (2020). A short story of hers will appear in the anthology It's a Whole Spiel (Pen ...more
“I am into classical music, in fact,” I say. “It’s been around for more than a thousand years, its composers have more name recognition than whatever ‘indie’ music you’re listening to right now, and symphonies sell out millions of performances a year. So go ahead, tell me classical music is tedious or boring or inferior.” 1 likes
“It's easy to be inclusive, and yet most people just don't care.” 1 likes