Start by marking “Dating Sarah Cooper” as Want to Read:
Dating Sarah Cooper

Dating Sarah Cooper

Katie Hammontree and Sarah Cooper have been best friends since the 2nd grade. Katie's welcoming, tight-knit family is a convenient substitute for Sarah when her distant parents aren't around, and Sarah's abrasive, goal-oriented personality gels well with Katie's more laid-back approach to life.
But when a misunderstanding leads to the two of them being mistaken for a couple
Published July 30th 2014 by Siera Maley Books

To ask other readers questions about Dating Sarah Cooper, please sign up.
Siera Maley The story was written fully several years before Faking It premiered, so no, it isn't. It just coincidentally shares a fun premise :) and has a much…moreThe story was written fully several years before Faking It premiered, so no, it isn't. It just coincidentally shares a fun premise :) and has a much happier (and gayer) ending.(less)

Marie
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Faking-It done right
Kelly Quindlen
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt
Loved it, especially the happy ending
P. Industry
Katie and Sarah have been best friends since they were both in primary school; they might as well be joined at the hip, each complimenting the other in ways they now take for granted. This closeness lands them in hot water when they are mistaken for a lesbian couple and dragged along unwittingly to the LGBT club.

Although initially puzzled by these turns of events, Sarah decides to take advantage of the situation to get a hot bloke to notice her. Katie, protesting, is pulled along with her. As t
Dahlia
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was afreakingdorable. It really is Faking It in a YA, and was so happy-making my toes literally curled while I was reading. I wish I'd gotten a little more from the plot that went beyond what I've already seen on MTV, but those little shoutouts to all the unhappy lesbian book endings, especially after reading the dedication, were totally my favorite my part <3
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
I heard this is MTV's Faking It done right. This book is so cute and sapphic. It made me cry a lot. Let's blame it on the election.

Trope: Best friends to lovers. Life doesn't get better than that.
alyssa
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: f-f-books
this was so CUTE!!! and i read it in a few hours to help me get out of my slump and you know what I LOVED IT AND I MISS IT!!!!
Diana
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Teenage romance (coming out). Sweet moments but the angst parts affect (in my opinion) the real meaning of love. I'm referring specifically to one of the lead characters.(view spoiler) ...more
emma
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

If you are after a cute, fluffy f/f story, then this is for you! There were a few aspects of this I didn't like (mostly the lying about being gay for attention) but these were all addressed in the story and weren't shown as okay, which I loved. I've heard of this as being called 'faking it done right' and despite never having watched faking it, I totally agree! If you did watch it and feel cheated, read this. If you want a (mostly) feel-good coming out story, read this.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
First off, thank you to Dahlia for recommending this so vociferously that she actually even bought me a Kindle copy of this book. It maaaaay have taken me several years to actually read it, which might not seem appreciative but I am I swear. Now that I've finally read it, we can call it another success for the Rec-ing Ball because Dating Sarah Cooper's really adorable.

TBH though I did worry a bit at the beginning that I was not going to be into this book, because the whole "pretending to be gay"
Sabrina Grafenberger
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is Faking It done right.

I know that this book was written several years before the Faking It premiered and that all similarities are coincidental which probably makes it unfair to always compare these two.

But there's no getting around it when Dating Sarah Cooper is everything I always wanted from the tv show! Siera Maley shows us how interesting the fake relationship trope can be if it is handled properly. What a great book!
Veronika
Oh my, this was SO AMAZING. F/F #ownvoices romance where the characters pretend to be a couple... and then fall in love with each other/realize those feelings have been there for awhile. BEST fake-relationship book of ever, I swear.
Megzz
Oh my god I'm so giddy it's ridiculous. HOW is it that I discovered this book only a few days ago?

I'm usually not a big fan of coming out stories because I'm way past that point in my life and usually find it boring to read about teenagers.

But this book was such a great surprise! A real feel-good story with sweet mature characters and a lovely romance and a happy ending and it makes me want to run around my house naked singing love songs!!

Dating Sarah Cooper deserves its average rating. The st
Mel
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ff, ya, bi-character
Katie and Sarah are best friends, and for some dumb reason they pretend to be a lesbian couple. That sounds way better than it is, actually.

I just have to say that I loved Katie from the get go. She's so sweet and precious and I wanted to protect her from her crazy best friend 90% of the time. (view spoiler)

I also really enjoyed the characters from the LAMBDA club, they are so nice and supporting. The
Emily Mead
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqia
Omg, more people should be talking about this book. Though I was a little uneasy about the premise (two straight girls pretending to be a couple), they end up FALLING IN LOVE which is my ultimate favourite thing to happen in books. Very cute, happy ending, lots of The L Word references. Definitely recommend.
Lexxi Kitty
I was thinking, somewhere near the end, that this seemed like more of a 4 something star book than a 5. By the time the book ended, I couldn’t remember why and thought it more of a 5 star book. If I had recalled and rejected whatever my initial thought was, I could happily mark this a five. As it is, I’ll just put it as 4.5 for now.

With that out of the way I can turn to how I’m not sure how to say anything about this book without being all spoiler-y. I mean, it’s true that the book opens with th
Julia
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, lgbtq
"I didn't know I could be hated by as many people as I've felt hated by since. And I didn't do anything! I just loved another girl." She looked to me, and I stared back. I couldn't look away. There was something in her eyes I'd never seen before. "I just love another girl," she corrected quietly. "I'm so sick of being punished for it."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Fake Dating Trope + WLW = Everything I didn't know I needed

I really enjoyed the writing in this book, the characters are so realistic t
So as an LGBT person I am always very skeptical about LGBT fiction, especially "lesbian love stories". My experience so far hasn't been great, I find the stories lacking a lot the time, they are usually okay concepts but just not well executed. This was not the case with Siera Maley's Dating Sarah Cooper. This book was a breath of fresh air, the characters were likeable and relatable. The story was engaging and exciting, the balance was just right, it didn't feel like I was reading a "lesbian lo ...more
Ashley
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, lesbian, ya, lesbian-ya
Tbh best lesbian rom-com-y book I've read in a long time! AND A HAPPY ENDING, thank god! You don't know how many teen lesbian books I've read that start out all cute and then end in disaster for no reason. But not this one! The main characters were adorable together (and awesomely snarky)and the side characters are just as lovable.
Only prob I had was a few typos, but there weren't enough to detract from the story.
Yes, the premise is basically Faking It, but it's executed so differently and SO m
Yuri
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
wow, it's been a long time since a book got me hooked in this way. I think I kind of lowered my expectations for books, but this one definitely brought them up. It's a really cute and funny story, and it is easy to read, which for me is like winning the lottery because English is my second language.
I will absolutely re-read this, and I totally recommend for you to read it if you like happy endings.
Megan  (YABookers)
Dating Sarah Cooper is a cute f/f romance. It features both the fake dating trope and the best friends to lovers trope. It's funny, it's cute, and it's romantic. Highly rec.
Morgan
This falls under the tried and true lesbian fiction sub genre of “faking it—or am I”. It’s a cute surface level story to read on a rainy afternoon and not think too terribly hard about. This felt very after school special in parts and I could easy believe it was written by a non-lesbian (though it wasn’t) from how the experiences and actions of the “gay” characters just didn’t ring true but rather what someone without that experience would just assume. Characterization and proper arcs are not he ...more
M. Hollis
"I've seen enough movies to know what happens when you fall for your straight best friend. I can like girls; that's fine, but I don't want to get my heart broken. I'd like to like someone who will like me back, you know?"

I just love Siera's style and how she writes wonderful F/F pairings. So it was no surprise that I enjoyed this one as much as all the others.

Dating Sarah Cooper is a story about two best friends who are confused as girlfriends by other people. They decide to go with it after bei
Ali
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For big fans of Faking It, I suggest reading this, though it will leave you feeling much more satisfied than the series (which let's be honest, can be a little shallow). Whether you're gay, bi, questioning, straight or just trying to find your identity as a person in the world, it's the perfect blend of humor, romance, suspense and fun.
Bree Paige
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the story..
Well written..
There was no love scenes.. but the kisses was so magical. I think that would be enough.
I hope there was more sweet scene between them and jealous to add some spice..
✔✔✔✔
Ashley Blake
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqiap
Gah, this book was freaking a-dor-a-ble. I've never seen FAKING IT, which I've heard this compared to, so this was all very new and fresh for me and I loved it. Swoony, tense romance, self-discovery, and HEA lesbian-bisexual f/f relationship for the win.
C. Mack
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely

A really well written novel that reads from the first person perspective, this really helps to put yourself into the main characters shoes and allows the empathy to flow, making the story all the more real.
Shelly
A really cute short novel that I enjoyed! For those who want a f/f with a HEA (like one of the protagonists of this book), I recommend Dating Sarah Cooper
Kaitlin Wallace
Super cute book! I wish there was more about after the winter formal.
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
A super cute, fluffy YA lesbian contemporary. A happy ending and a super-duper shippable romance. I will be reading more of Siera Maley's books for sure.
kory.
Going into this book I had an idea that it was going to be Faking It in book form. The show aired in April of 2014 and the book was published in June of the same year, although I saw someone say it had been written years before? So, either way, it was Faking It in book form in my mind. (But no character in this book compares to Amy Raudenfeld, one of my favorite characters ever.)

It even got described as "Faking It done right" and honestly, just because the two girls who were faking end up togeth
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Blind Side of Love
  • The Sum of These Things (A Story of Now, #2)
  • Suddenly
  • Driving Lessons
  • Interference
  • Because of Her
  • Forgive Me If I've Told You This Before
  • Just Three Words (Soho Loft, #2)
  • Second Chances
  • The Music and the Mirror
  • All That Lies Within
  • Just Juliet
  • She's My Ride Home
  • Training Ground (Girls of Summer, #1)
  • Paper Love
  • Pitifully Ugly
  • Her Name in the Sky
Siera Maley was born and raised in the southern Bible Belt. After coming out as a lesbian as a teen, she relocated to a more suburban area and now lives with her girlfriend and very adorable dogs while she works on writing young adult lesbian fiction.
“I feel like I showed up to school naked or something. I say I'm dating a girl and suddenly all everyone cares about is my sex life.” 4 likes
“And I didn't realize it then, as Sarah and I left the parking lot and sped down the road in her little four-door, but I think that by the end of that very first school day I'd already fallen a bit in love with her.” 3 likes