Start by marking “Starseers (Fallen Empire, #3)” as Want to Read:
Starseers (Fallen Empire, #3)

Starseers

(Fallen Empire #3)

The mysterious and powerful Starseers have Captain Alisa Marchenko's daughter, and she will do whatever she must to get her back, even if it means traveling to their stronghold and confronting them personally. Unfortunately, her strongest ally, the cyborg Leonidas, may become a liability since the cyborgs and the Starseers have a long history of hating each other. It doesn ...more
Published June 1st 2016

To ask other readers questions about Starseers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starseers

Sherwood Smith
Inhaled this third installment of what is developing into a quest with bigger questions and broader ramifications, while never letting either the delightful banter, or the fast action, flag.

As in the second book, I really like the sense of chaos conveyed in the aftermath of war. The range, from cannibalistic pirates to old pieces of the various armies trying to establish order ring true, and Buroker keeps the tone entertaining and the pacing moving along at a fast clip, which I appreciate. It co
David Firmage
Last part of this audible trilogy. The light sci-fi series has failed to grow on me.
Tammie

This was another fun ride with the crew of the Nomad. It was interesting to see the Starseers closer up. I enjoyed the character development for Leonidas. I enjoyed the bond that has grown between him and Alisa. I'm totally rooting for them to get together. I enjoyed the banter between th
Dan
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable installment in this light SciFi series.
Hannah
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I’m happy to report that Starseers was a massive improvement from Honor’s Flight, because I wasn’t sure what to think after the mixed bag that was the previous book. We finally get to know more about the mysterious Starseers and become better acquainted with Yumi Moon, not to mention there’s some (very much welcome) plot progress as Alisa finds the first real clues she’s had as to her daughter’s whereabouts.

After the second book, where nothing much happened at all except for a convoluted series
Liviu
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
the weakest installment in the series as the action devolves into self-parody on many occasions, especially on the Starseers base and the events there and around; the dialogue is still mostly entertaining (though even there there is some repetitiveness that starts becoming noticeable); on the plus side, a few new characters are interesting and one of Yumi's younger (Starseer step)sisters is actually the best new secondary character of the novels so far, while the plot thickens and the general st ...more
Ron
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
“Are you reading my mind?” “Of course. Would you trust anything that comes out of your mouth?” “Perhaps not in this case, no.”
More space opera adventures of Buroker’s fighter pilot turned pacifist and herder of strays. Alisa seems a magnetic for conflicting and conflicted companions and all the trouble which floats in their wake. The storytelling is fast paced and snarky.

“Did you expect something else?” “From you? I’ve come to expect inappropriate humor when it would be … inappropriate.” “I don’
Mandapanda
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As well as the edge-of-your-seat fight action, the growing attraction between Alisa and Leonidas, and the fascinating forward movement in the overall plot, this book was really FUNNY! Alisa cracks me up.
Borderstar
Too busy already reading #4 to write a proper review, so just a few thoughts below. I am not certain whether I liked this more or less than previous instalments...it's strange, as while I was reading it, I thought maybe it was slightly slower and a bit frustrating with the situation they were in, but actually thinking back on it, I liked all the elements we found out in this one...so I think a 4 stars again.

In this instalment we find out a lot more about the Starseers, maybe getting a bit too cl
Jane
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Actual rating 3.5 stars.

What exactly happened here? A lot of action. Plenty of dialogue that makes the reader chuckle quite a lot. A romance that kind of is there but kind of isn't. Some ill-timed, yet funny humor. More action and even more banter. The perfect recipe for a book that I might love.

There's something going on between Alisa and Leonidas and I'm rooting for it like crazy! There's nothing but a few glimpses and some wishful thinking (on Alisa's part) but the tension is definitely there
Navdha
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Full of action and mirth, which sometimes did annoy me but overall, I enjoy it quite a lot. Alisa might not be my favourite though. She's too selfish, impulsive and blunt at moments. Anyhow, I'm still waiting for kisses to be shared since we were last promised them in one of Buroker's interview at the end of the first book. Looking forward to the prequel and then the 4th instalment.
Mardia
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Giving up on this series--the worldbuilding could be interesting, but the characters haven't grown on me at all. The main character in particular keeps making bad decisions, or decisions that go against her own interests, without any real logic or explanation as to why, other than the plot requires her to be with these people and doing these things. Not for me.
S.J. Higbee
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this continuation of the series very much. The ongoing quest to track down her daughter takes Alisa into all sorts of scrapes and adventures that often involve her troublesome passengers. Though I do have to say that this would have been a 5 star review if she didn't, at times, take some really daft risks that endanger herself and her ship - and the chances of finding her lost daughter... Looking forward to tucking into the next slice of the adventure, anyway.
Katie
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice sci-fi action. Really enjoy the sarcasm and humor of the main character Alisa and her interaction with her crew. Each books reveals a little more of the story so although a lot is happening you only learn a few new pieces of the main storyline. I’m also enjoying the developing romance between Alisa and Leonidos. Definitely going to finish the series!
Mich Must Read
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This series is just snarky and fun. There are no heavy situations really. Just swashbuckling in space with hints of romance. A smart ass space pilot and a stoic cyborg make for a nice light read. So far, all three of these books should have just been one book. They pick up exactly where the last left off. I will definitely continue to the next one.
Cheryl La Pa
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my favourite in the series so far. We see Leonidis at his most vulnerable when pitched against the Starseers, who have incredible mind powers. I have fallen for the characters and their interaction. Love Alisa's witty humour and problem solving skills.
An outstanding series - so glad that it was recommended to me!
Jacob
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi
This series is still really good! Still an interesting overall story and quality character interaction.
Jamila
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such suspense, many inappropriate jokes, much love!!
Ornella (Nyx)
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Why are these books so short? They are like sci-fi crack.
Cyd O
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of lighthearted sci-fi
It is taking a lot of guts for Alisa to search for the thing most precious to her in a place so scary. The Starseers have a reputation that spawns fear in the hearts of just about everyone. It's a good thing that constant peril has led to a bit of trust between the crew, as this isn't going to be any easier than searching the last place to which they were led.

As we've journeyed through the Fallen Empire series to this point, I've come to love the characters. Alisa, captain of the Star Nomad, is
Hallie
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm just guessing that what I'm about to gripe over begins in this book, given the title, and honestly don't have time to look and check. It does happen quite early in the series, and it keeps happening right until the end, and it's awful. As I said in the brief comments on the first book, this reads at times like a more 'adult' version of the Emperor's Edge series. There's the banter of that series often more sexual in nature, but sometimes it fails badly, and sometimes it's just phoned in with ...more
Kelly
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This series is deeply addictive. From Alisa's irreverent humor to the danger the Star Nomad keeps finding itself in, I'm hooked. Also, I'm deliciously anticipating the oft-mentioned massage Alisa keeps teasing Leonidas with. THOSE TWO.

Alisa's faith in the Alliance has taken a beating since we met her in book 1. Things aren't looking up for her in that regard with this book. She's been abandoned, lied to, and ... I don't know, other stuff. She's seeing the cracks in their armor now and what she's
cEe beE
This is a first. Cannot believe that I DNF a Lindsay Buroker book!

I couldn't stand Alisa at all. I don't understand her attraction to Leonidas, he was just boring. None of the other characters were that interesting and some were downright annoying like Alejandro. The search for Alisa's daughter is ridiculously stretched out for several volumes because Alisa likes to make stupid decisions that puts herself and her passengers in constant danger. That and drooling over her cyborg companion's muscle
Mike
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Whenever I am unexcited by my other reading options, I get the next Lindsay Buroker, because I know it will be entertaining, exciting, filled with amusing banter, and competently written.

That is what this is. I did notice one recurring error (the use of "may" instead of "might" in past-tense narration) and a few other minor issues, but generally the editing on these is very good.

I bought the next one straight afterwards, and I'm reading it now.
Jenny Koch
This series is getting better and better with each book. The plot and characters continue to entertain. Alisa has graduated from veiled innuendos to outright flirting at times (yay her) and it's hysterical.
Kay Dee
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
another terrific series by Lindsay Buroker!
this one will rank as number 2 in my love of her series and characters.
buy the books! read the books! love the books!

the main characters, Alisa and Leonidas, remind me sooooooooooooo very much of Armanthe and Sicarious from The Emperor's Edge Collection

first the women
both women's name start with an A (wish they didn't. since they are so similar, it's a lil confusing.)
both women are tall and can fight and are the leaders of their ragtag bunch
both are wi
Starfire
I read this as part of an omnibus that included Books 1-3 plus a prequel short story.

I'll review them all together here.

OK, there's a REASON that these books draw the inevitable Firefly comparisons. They have a distinct Space Western kind of vibe to them, and they feature a world in which there's been a war between a big, powerful, ordered side and a scrappy, disorganised, 'freedom-loving' side. (Also, Captain Alisa Marchenko kind of makes me think of a cross between Wash, Mal and Zoe all put to
S
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
A.M.
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own, e-books
Star-seers are a group that has honed their mind control abilities. They live in secret, hidden temples and no-one is entirely sure which side they were on during the war. They have factions of their own. All Alisa is sure of is that one named Durant took her daughter. She saw the feed herself and Sylvia told her their family had the right DNA.
Yumi, her meditating drug dealing passenger confesses that her mother is a star-seer and that she has a vague idea of where her hidden temple is. That’s e
Banshee
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alisa has heard of a Starseer temple on Arkadias that may have answers regarding the location of her daughter. Only Starseers don’t like guests so she’ll need Yumi’s help to get into there. Alisa’s also hoping that Yumi’s connection will make the Starseers more open and will answer her questions. This is going fine until the Alliance follow the Star Nomad to the temple and starts a battle.

This novel was great but the weakest of the four novels I’ve read to date. It was still amazing and I would
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Starseers [April 2019] 18 18 May 08, 2019 09:19AM

• Trial and Temptation (Mandrake Company, #2)
  • Dark Minds (Class 5, #3)
  • Beneath the Fallen City (The Omni Towers, #1)
  • Doubleblind (Sirantha Jax, #3)
  • Heaven's Queen  (Paradox #3)
  • Half Life (Russell's Attic #2)
  • Bones of the Fair (Darest, #2)
  • Warrior Wench (The Asarlaí Wars #1)
  • The Element of Death (The Final Formula, #1.5)
  • The Queen's Gambit (Rogue Queen, #1)
  • Children of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #2)
I'm a professional blogger by day and an indie fantasy author by night. Evenings belong to the dogs, tennis, and books.

Fallen Empire (8 books)
  • Star Nomad (Fallen Empire, #1)
  • Honor's Flight (Fallen Empire, #2)
  • Relic of Sorrows (Fallen Empire, #4)
  • Cleon Moon (Fallen Empire, #5)
  • Arkadian Skies (Fallen Empire, #6)
  • Perilous Hunt (Fallen Empire, #7)
  • End Game (Fallen Empire, #8)