Start by marking “The First Time is the Hardest (Austin Brothers, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The First Time is the Hardest (Austin Brothers, #0.5)

The First Time is the Hardest

(Austin Brothers 0.5)

Mila Austin and her best friend, Lucas Gennery, made a pact: graduate college, return home, and start the rest of their lives … together.

One phone call changed everything.

Now, Mila is back in Radeno, Texas, lost and alone with an ache in her heart eased by the one person she shouldn't get close to—Lucas’s older brother, Ryan.

Grief bonds them, tethers them in a way Mila d
ebook
Published July 6th 2016

To ask other readers questions about The First Time is the Hardest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Time is the Hardest

Shannon Moore
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
"Two people brought together in painful circumstances, finding solace in one another, realizing that maybe, just maybe, there was more than losing someone they loved between them."

I'm going to start off by saying I'm usually not a fan of books where a character dies and the significant other starts a relationship with their sibling. I think in this case though it worked for me because the novella starts with the main characters having already heard about Lucas's death - it didn't start with
A Book Lover's Emporium Book Blog
5+ stars. Well any book that has me gripped and reaching for the tissues within the first 5% of reading is a worthy winner in my eyes, but then again I have complete faith in LA Cotton and her writing. She is one author that I will always one-click regardless of the blurb and I have never been disappointed by her and this novella is no different.
Mila Austin has her whole life planned out with her best friend and childhood sweetheart Lucas Gennery – 4 years apart while they go to college and the
Melanie
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Aww this book really got the feels going. Mila has to go home once she finds out her best friend Lucas; someone she has always loved, even though they were never a couple, has passed away. The whole time from her arriving home until the funeral, really got the emotions going as she struggled to come to terms with it.

There was one person who could really understand her grief though: Lucas' older brother, Ryan. Both of them devastated by Lucas' death, they find solace in each other, despite every
Melyssa Winchester
description

Title: The First Time is the Hardest
Author: L.A. Cotton
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series or Standalone: Standalone Series Novella (Austin Brothers #0.5)
Rating: ★★★★★

Review

description

I should have known based on the title that this one was going to gut me emotionally. But, of course, I went in with blinders on.

I took a week to review this because I couldn’t wrap my head around the sheer level of emotion I felt while reading it. I think this might be the first novella I’ve read that managed to catch me righ
A
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
ARC received in exchange for an honest review :)

*sighs* such a beautiful and emotional story... and for a novella to make such an impression... it takes an incredible author to do that :) I cannot wait to read stories about Mila's brothers, but make no mistakes... it's going to be a long time before I forget the story of Mila and Ryan... *sighs* they hold a piece of my heart... full review on the day of the release :)

edited to add my full review :)

I received an ARC of this stunning novella in ex
Stef - British Book Binge
When I read the blurb I was quite excited to read this new-to-me-author and ready to feel all the feels. Unfortunately that isn't what happened, for me anyway. I just could not connect to the story and ended up skimming a few parts.

This is a quick read which is great but i didn't get what I felt I should have. I felt no connection to any of the characters or any chemistry between Mila and Ryan. I'm assuming these two will get another book with a full detailed story>>?? Maybe I'm not sure.
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Based on the synopsis, I figured this book would be an emotional ride but I really wasn't prepared for how gutted I would already be by the fifth page! Keep tissues very close by!

Mila is Lucas' best friend and Ryan is Lucas' brother. They never really had much reason to interact outside of that and they really aren't close; until they experience tragedy and no one can understand what they're going through other than each other.

This book was definitely the emotional ride that I was expecting bu
Tracy- OMGReads
Ooh my feels. I was crying for about the first quarter to half of the book. Mila and Ryan's love story is hauntingly beautiful, a love forged from grief, a love against all odds. Mila and Ryan turn to each other when no one else understands their pain. Their families don't approve, considering the extenuating circumstances, and we wonder if their love will prevail.

The First Time is the Hardest is an introductory novella to The Austin Brothers. We learn a bit about each brother in this book, the
Michelle Austin
Page Count:116
Heat Level: 3.5 flames out of 5
Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Blurb:

One phone call changed everything.

Louise Roach
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OH MY WORD - THE FEELS!!!! This book has be in pieces almost straight away. It created so much emotion and I definitely needed the tissues. L.A. Cotton had me hooked to this book immediately and I loved finding out how the story was going to develop. I devoured this book in an evening, and could not put it down!

Mila is struggling, from the sudden loss of her very best friend in the world. He male best friend, who had gone to different colleges but after 4 years, had their whole lives ahead of t
Romance
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lost love, love that was never experienced, grief, mourning, and finally a new love that was meant to be.

The first time is ALWAYS the hardest. That is a testament to life; in this book we see Mila deal with a great loss, her best friend, her first love, Lucas is gone. An accident has ended his life, but the worst part is, that they were to start a life together. They loved each other they were suppose to have the rest of their lives together.

In the midst of her loss and her pain she get close wi
Cassie
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I have read a few stories that had a similar vibe ~ the heroine is the childhood best friend of the deceased, having a hard time coping with the accidental death of younger brother and the older brother comes to rescue, but Lianne did a great job of giving this one a fresh take.

This was a good introduction to the Archer Brothers. This was Mila Jean Archer’s story, she was lucky to be graced with 3 big brothers that are there for her when her world falls apart. The Archers stick together
Lora
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4 1/2 out of 5 stars

Mila broke my heart from the first page. I felt her pain and wanted to reach thru the pages and hug her fiercely. And Ryan was just enough of an unknown to make me want to know him more. This story captured a piece of me and even days after finishing I’m having a hard time letting go.

I loved this story. The characters melted into my heart and though the book had a very sad start and definitely some sad moments in the novel, I found myself reading with a small smile more ofte
Louise McKie (Clare & Lou's Mad About Books)
*****5 stars and an unmentionable amount of snotty tissues and tears*****

So I should have known by the blurb and teasers I have seen that this book was an ugly cry book. Or well at least for me it was. Now when I say ugly cry I mean I spent most of the time reading it with tears rolling down my face and snot coming out of my nose.
Not the most attractive of looks I can tell you!!

This book is a story of grief, a story of how Mila deals with the loss of her best friend. The loss of the future they
Brigitte
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Coming to terms with losing someone close is never easy. This novella encapsulates the powerful emotions of the family and friends as they come to terms with a tragic loss.

Mila and Lucas are best friends with a bright future ahead of them. Their plan is to reunite after the four years away from each other but with one telephone call, Mila's heart is shattered. How is she going to face life without Lucas?

Mila returns to her hometown and here, the emotional turmoil that everyone who knows Lucas
Books Laid Bare
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Get the tissues ready!!!
I had one grasped by my side for much of the is short but emotional read, honestly I was a few pages in and I could feel the tears fighting their way forward.
Mila Austin’s future, her carefully worked future was ripped from her grasp when the boy that she had loved for almost as long as she could remember was killed in a road traffic accident. Grief didn’t do how she felt justice, she was bereft, he world and everything she had planned, gone in an instant.
Returning home f
Ebbie ~Author Groupies
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing

The First Time is the Hardest is a heartbreaking story. It had me crying from the beginning until the end. It's a great second chance at love story with a twist.

Mila had been best friends with Lucas for most of her life. They had plans to spend the rest of their life together after they graduated college but one phone call changed it all. Ryan was Lucas' older "troubled" brother. Mila and Ryan had never been close before but in the face of tragedy they formed a bond. Neither one of their famili
Lady Living  In Bookland
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
From the very first page l just had this feeling I was going to fall in love with this story. And I truly did. Head over heels!

Excerpt:
Lucas Gennery was my best friend.
He was supposed to be my everything.
My future.
And he was gone.

This absolute tearjerker of a story sees the devastating loss of a best friend, a brother and a much loved son. The impact of that loss is felt by everyone...

Excerpt:
I was broken.
Something had changed inside me. My heart continued to beat, but I felt lifeless. A livin
Tara Santiago

5 Down by the Lake Stars

You know you are in for something good when within the first 5% you are sobbing and emotionally invested in the main character.

This Novella follows the life of Mila, a woman who is grieving the loss of her best friend and find unexpected love along the way with the most unlikely person.

The story is filled with angst and you think you know where things are going and then the brakes come on and your shifting gears.

Overall, this was a great start to the series. As normal I
Barb
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am in awe of this authors writing. The characters and the story made me cry more than once. If an author can pull emotions from me just from the writing it's a big deal. I only have a few authors that can do that and I am adding this one to that list!

When Mila gets a phone call that her best friend in the entire world has died, her world falls apart. But when Lucas's older brother and Mila start getting closer than they have ever been their families start throwing fits and telling her that Ry
MJ's Book Blog and Reviews
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review by: Melanie
(4 stars)

Franci Neill
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
,i>4 Emotional Stars

This book is so much more than what I expected it to be and all in a good way. This is the story of Mila and Ryan and what happens when you find love in the least of likely places.

After a phone call that changes Mila's life she's just not sure what to do with herself and how to deal with the grief that encompasses her life. I felt every single emotion Mila was feeling thanks to the beauty of the words that Ms. Cotton has written. She was lost and felt alone until Lucas's o
Amanda Lee Disheveled Book Blog
I've been sitting her trying to figure out how to write this review. How to put into words how I feel. I'm a huge fan of L.A. Cotton, her books are always amazing in the aspect that some are full of drama, angst, feels and some are full of sweet love, cutesy heroines and chemistry that will give you teeny tiny goosebumps. But this book lacked that extra push and pull, and sadly I have to say that I only thought it was OK.

It was very easy to read, and I read it fairly fast I literally devoured it
Joanna Brocklehurst smith
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OMG!!! Within the first couple of chapters I was sobbing like an idiot!!! The book is an instant ‘grab me by the throat and you ain’t putting me down till you’ve finished’. Which is exactly what happened, I don’t think I could have out it down if I had tried. This is an absolutely amazing read, I really can’t wait to read more in this new series by this talented author. One thing I know is, I am never disappointed with her work. Brilliant.
When Mila finds out that her best friend, soul mate and t
Shameca Smith
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 STAR REVIEW!

Even though this book was a quick read for me, it had me captivated from the first page. After planning their lives out together, Mila is finding herself planning on how to live without Lucas now. Her life is turned upside down, and the only person who really knows how she feels is Lucas' brother, Ryan. While learning how to cope with the loss of the person they both loved, something is ignited between these two and they try so hard to fight it. I loved Mila and Ryan. They are both
Michele A.
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mila and Ryan are left to try and move on from the death of his brother and her best friend, Lucas. Lucas died in a car accident and both were devastated by the loss. Mila returns home for the funeral and to begin her new life without Lucas in it. Ryan was the older brother but left home when he was 18 because he and his parents didn't get along and everyone saw him as the bad boy. He moved on with his life and didn't look back. When they both seek comfort in each other, they are left feeling co ...more
Sarah Dale
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
What an emotional novella. For a short read it really packed a punch and tissues are a necessity for most of the book! This book started off with a curve ball you don't normally get straight away and wow, your drawn in straight away with your heart breaking along with Mila and Ryan.

This book really told the story of loss and the stages of grief well. Mila and Ryan really go through the emotions of loss, guilt, confusion, at the beginning and the pull between them is completely real and your beco
Shelly Wygant
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well I am pretty sure that you know you are going to read a great book when you are crying within the first few pages. We meet Mila as she is headed back home and grieving. She was never close with her best friend's older brother but they form a bond with their grief.

The great thing about Ms. Cotton's writing of this story is that she made you feel the grief of Mila and Ryan. As they try to cope it will shatter your hear and then put it back together with them. Mila has family that supports her
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★

✿ ✿ ✿ ARC Giveaway! ✿ ✿ ✿
Part of the Shh… Summer Buzz Book Event 2016!
❀ Shh… Summer Buzz Book ARC Giveaway: https://goo.gl/uqgC3u
Win ARCs for all the Buzz Books featured!
❀ Shh… Summer Buzz Books: https://goo.gl/4p43qo
Jun-Sep book, release & ARC info!!
❀ Shh… Summer Buzz Book Calendar: https://goo.gl/78NlrK
All Buzz Books organized by week of release!
❀ Join Shh…: http://goo.gl/OmQUZv
Join for direct links to work. GR redirects all non-members to group home.
❀ RSVP: https://goo.gl/bvZGC3
❀ Author s
Lorena Tucholke
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-review
I'm a weird person because I love when a book makes me cry, and so I will love that book!
When I started this book I couldn't put it down, the story of Lucas, Mila and Ryan was amazing.
Mila and Lucas had all their future planed, they think they have the rest of their lives after college, but just when they finished the last year Lucas dies in a tragic car accident, and all their plans just vanished in a second.
In all her hurt Mila founds in Ryan a kind soul who is suffering just like her.
They d
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Forever Bound (1Night Stand, #5)
  • Shut In (Just This Once, #1)
  • Rachel and Connor's Little Black Book: Volume One (Rachel and Connor, #1)
  • A Brooding Beauty (Wedded Women Quartet, #1)
  • Filthy 4 (Filthy, #4)
  • Give Me Yesterday
  • Tasting Pleasure (Pleasure, #1)
  • Taken by the Cops (erotic menage)
  • In the Fold (Sibling Lust #1)
  • Rides A Hero (Slater Brothers, #2)
  • A Scandal, a Secret, a Baby / Marriage Scandal, Showbiz Baby!
  • The Expert's Guide to Driving a Man Wild (Bluebonnet, #3)
  • My Three Lords
  • 27 Truths: Ava's Story (The Truth About Love, #1)
  • The Waltz (Sexual Awakenings, #1)
  • War Poppy (War, #1)
  • Dear Tabitha (Forever Family, #2)
  • One Perfect Love (Wild Rush, #2)
Angsty. Edgy. Addictive Romance

Author of mature young adult and new adult novels, L A is happiest writing the kind of books she loves to read: addictive stories full of teenage angst, tension, twists and turns.
Home is a small town in the middle of England where she currently juggles being a full-time writer with being a mother/referee to two little people. In her spare time (and when she’s not c

Austin Brothers (2 books)
  • The Second Spark is the Brightest (Austin Brothers, #1)