Start by marking “A Quest of Undoing (Tales From the Land of Ononokin, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Quest of Undoing (Tales From the Land of Ononokin, #1)

A Quest of Undoing

(Tales From the Land of Ononokin #1)

Why does questing have to be so persnickety?

Xebdigon Whizzfiddle is a wizard who has to find a quest, get it contracted, and finish it to the letter within 30 days or he'll lose his guild membership status, meaning he'll have to actually work for a living. At the perpetual age of 650, this is really no longer an option.

After interviewing countless people who are looking f
Published February 22nd 2013 by Crimson Myth Press

Start your review of A Quest of Undoing (Tales From the Land of Ononokin, #1)
Joel Bresler
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Xebdigon Whizzfiddle is a wizard with a problem.
Having been set up with the Wizards' Guild by a disgruntled and devious former apprentice, Whizzfiddle must complete a wizardly quest to the letter, or face the loss of his magic privileges.
The quest in question involves undoing a spell cast by another wizard against a handful of fantasy-world type beings, which rendered them opposites of their former selves. Thus begins what Whizzfiddle hopes will be the last adventure for an old wizard who prefer
Jennie Rosenblum
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a Goodreads Giveaway. I was hoping this would be something I could recommend to the middle schoolers - however it is much more of an adult book. The wit and humor as well as the characters make this a fun and entertaining read. A dragon, who is now a lizard, starting a nudie magazine, a gay elf and a giant who wants to be a wizard??? What could be more funny!?!? I will be recommending this to adult readers.
L
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

An imaginatively witty world wherein worldly Wizards and epic quests collide in a magnificent explosion!!

This truly inspired fantasy creation of sheer genius left me awestruck, for it was unexpectedly exceptional and just brilliant. As an avid reader of the fantasy genre (from high/ epic fantasy like Tolkien, Erikson, Elliot and Donaldson to the more contemporary and modern), I was greatly impressed by John P Logsdon’s well-written story. “A Quest of Undoing” contains similarities as to the out
Carole O'Brien
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, fantasy
I loved this book, it was very funny, It was a tale of a wizard who was very lazy and it turns out he has never finished off a quest, but now he has to complete one to keep his wizard status.

Have fun reading it is well worth the money, I will be reading more from this author.
Rebecca
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty good book. Certainly not amazing, but a nice fluffy read. I didn't find it particularly funny, as it is toted to be, but I did enjoy reading it. ...more
Jan
Aug 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
A fun little read to clean your palate before the next "big" book. I enjoyed the antics of the various characters. ...more
Teresa Barrera
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book a lot. The characters were fun and I also enjoyed the humor in this book. The narrator for the audiobook brought the characters to life and I'm definitely looking forward to the next book. ...more
Sion Morris
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I saw this series on a Facebook ad and its the first ad that's ever held any interest for me and I'm so glad I found out more about, not only this series of Comic fantasy world books, but that John P. Logsdon has also written several other series of comedic books including comic Space adventure, my favourite!

Anyway, back to 'A Quest of Undoing'. Its always a good sign when you are hooked into a world within a few pages. The writing is very natural and keeps you smiling and often laughing out lo
Allison Hawn
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"A Quest of Undoing: A Tale from the Land of Ononokin" is a fantastic read for anyone looking for something on the lighter side of fantasy. Funny, inventive and not laboriously detailed, this is a read that will have you smiling and chuckling the entire way through.

The book successfully parodies other fantasy and adventure staples, such as "Lord of the Rings," while maintaining it's own plot. Set in a rather distinct world, with bizarre characters and an interesting quest, "A Quest of Undoing"
Brandy
This book is a enjoyable diversion from the heavy reading that I usually have on my shelf. The story is reminiscent of an outtake on the hobbit. The group of misfits are on a quest with a little old wizard and many mishaps befall them. It was not predictable and did not feel contrived. Some of it was funny and other parts rather clever in their execution. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy tales of adventure, comic reading, and lighthearted stories of wizarding.

This book was won as
This book was a fun read, it was like a combination of Terry Pratchett + Piers Anthony + Craig Shaw Gardner.

There was a lot of whimsy, bumbling wizards, plays on words, and little insider jokes about the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings (and probably some more that I didn't have the geek-level clearance to understand).

So if you like any of the three authors I mentioned in the beginning, then you will probably be entertained on some level by this book.

Chris
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway, which I entered mostly because my name was listed as one of the authors. It's a light comedic fantasy romp, following the wizard Whizzfiddle as he bumbles his way through a quest. I can't say much more without handing out spoilers, so just pick up a copy and read it! ...more
Gill
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book had me giggling and wanting more when I'd finished being a Terry Pratchett fan I didn't think I'd find any other books that matched that wit after reading this I think I may have just found it so much so I've moved straight onto reading the Full Moon Event and already I'm giggling ...more
Bryce Wilson
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A whimsical tale

Each main character grows in detail through the story. I like character development rather then all given out in a page or two monologue. I also enjoyed the dry humor more like Douglas Adams then Terry Pratchet.
Docxen
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good book i got a free copy and i must say was enjoyable. The wizard characters did remind me some what of Terry Pratchett's wizards. ...more
Nigel Brett
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, fun lighthearted easy read, can see a series of these books doing very well indeed.
Angie Hill
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!!
Angela
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, fantasy
Rating 1.5 When I began this book it seemed funny and whimsical but after a time the humor began to seem heavy-handed and tired. I would have stayed with it because I liked the quest and the main character, but what made me finally stop in disgust was the way that the gay character was handled. There were some sly digs in the beginning that I wasn't sure if they were just the kind of over the top humor the book is written in and not intended to be prejudiced or insulting but, as the story went o ...more
Eloise
Feb 16, 2022 rated it it was ok
I have a few problems with this book, unfortunately.

1, there are way too many characters for me to keep track of. All the characters have strange, non-English names (as is standard for fantasy novels) and because they were weird names I couldn't keep anyone straight. I should have written down who who who, that would have helped.

2. The storyline diverts too much. If if was just about the quest, it would have been better. But theres a subplot about the council, and other things that just made i
Chappy
So I read this quirky little adventure between audiobooks, thus it took a few weeks. It’s a hilarious, fast paced and simplistic in its writing, which made it all the easier to get through quickly. It looks like each new book in the series will be about new characters and new escapades.

Perks
• Enough characters to keep the book interesting as well as giving each character hilarious quirks
• A good length novel for a short adventure
• A multi book series with new adventures and characters with ea
Andrea Reynolds
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I must admit I was not expecting much from this book, though I had no logical reason why.
But I was wrong, I loved it!
It was a funny, enjoyable read with great characters. I mean who wouldn't love a seven foot tall dwarf, a four foot giant who wants to be a wizard, a gay elf, a lizard who is really a dragon and a power hungry, vengeful wizard. Add in a lad's mag with naked dragons and orcs and there's bound to be hilarious situations.
If you like funny fantasy then give it a read.
I would add I fe
Scott
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book of a large series which gives us you many options.
Great story of a bumbling wizard and a motley crew of quest seekers who are out to return their bodies back to their normal selfs.
Some quick witted and clever quips and moments abound in this story which makes for a pleasant read.
If you enjoy quacky and silly then this story is for you.
Narrator does a great job of conveying the wide range of characters throughout this story. Shall also be keeping an eye out for more of his
J
Feb 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
So in the first couple of chapters our main characters relates to a prince how some bandits are going "have a little fun" with a princess for something approaching a fortnight. But it's OK because she'll "learn a few tricks" that the prince will appreciate later and "she'll be fine" after being rescued by a wizard who will only demand she regularly prostitute herself to him multiple times a year for an indeterminate number of years.

Apparently I am supposed to view this as funny somehow.
It is not
Jill Turner
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
I bought this book because it is advertised as being similar to Terry Pratchett and there are mostly 5 star reviews. I am going out on a limb to say that I don't agree with this rating (sorry). I so wanted to like it because of the Pratchett connection but, because the book badly needs to be proofread, silly errors distracted my reading. Character names are spelled differently throughout (main example is Beckner/Bekner, but there are others) and I struggled to finish it because once I'd noticed ...more
Mark
Mar 28, 2022 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To summarize, I made it halfway through the book thinking this was written in the 70s or 80s and that I was so glad that modern comedic fantasy didn't rely on such awful ableism and sexism and homophobia... then looked for the publication date... and realized that this was published in 2013.

I finished the book to see if the book would redeem itself and absolutely fucking not.

Don't read this.
Kathleen
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book and indeed the whole Tales From the Land of Ononokin series, which I have read and thoroughly enjoyed. In fact I’ve read A Quest of Undoing before and it looses none of it’s charm second time around. An easy read that is funny, clever and entertaining! Have a read yourself and I’m sure you’ll be glad you did.
Daniel Lane
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was fun, and kind of fluff. I do hate it when the description says, "If you loved Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams, you will love this one!" Fun yes, as wildly silly as Douglas Adams, or as amazingly multileveled as Terry Pratchett, absolutely not. Push it on being silly without saying that he is the next Pratchett or Adams. ...more
Sam
Apr 16, 2020 rated it liked it
For the most part this was a fun fantasy adventure.

I enjoyed most of the humour and gentle mockery of other epic-fantasy-type books, although there were a few things that were a little too close to the bone and so did not amuse (early in the book with the comments about the princess quest, the lampooning of the gay elf etc.). I liked the characters and general story line, though.
Samantha Rense
Dec 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantasy with a twist of mirth!

The tone is light-hearted, while still being clever and engaging. Whizzfiddle, the protagonist, is the “straight man”, and everyone else provides the comic relief. The story moves along nicely, keeping to the fantasy adventure premise without bogging down in trying to be too cleverly funny. Well-crafted and easy to enjoy.
Bennah
Oct 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book so much!! Whizzfiddle and Gungren may not replace my love for Terry Pratchett and his world, but it sure helps. Although this book is way more humorous, and definitely goes for the obvious joke, I still really enjoy it. If you are a fan of Terry or Robert Aspin, give this series a shot.
Goodreads Librari...: Book cover changed 5 20 Feb 28, 2014 02:32PM
Goodreads Authors...: Free on Kindle this weekend! 2 8 Oct 12, 2013 06:28PM
Connecting Reader...: Free on Kindle this weekend! 1 8 Oct 10, 2013 08:34AM
The Humour Club: Free on Amazon this weekend! 3 9 Oct 10, 2013 08:30AM

• Accidental Magic (Myrtlewood Mysteries, #1)
  • The Good Troll Detective (Mantle and Key Paranormal Agency, #1)
  • Legends & Lattes
  • Freaky Briefs: 75 Short Absurdities
  • Dead Dragons, New Tricks (Dragon’s Daughter #2)
  • Never a Dragon (Dragon’s Daughter #1)
  • Experimental Magic (Myrtlewood Mysteries, #2)
  • Daddy Darkest (The Katie Bishop Series Book 8)
  • Thicker Than Blood (Dragon’s Daughter #3)
  • Dragon Fire and Pixie Dust (Dragon’s Daughter #4)
  • The Cult of Tiamat (Dragon’s Daughter Book 5)
  • Firesight (The Dragon Guardian Chronicles, #1)
  • The GodKiller (Skharr DeathEater Book 4)
  • Dogma of War (The Elven Prophecy #6)
  • The Defender (Skharr DeathEater Book 3)
  • Cadillac Beach (Serge Storms, #6)
  • The Spirit Siphon (Magebreakers #4)
See top shelves…
John P. Logsdon is a former game designer, producer, and software engineer who shamelessly digs into the deep recesses of his mind to bring forth oddball characters and hilarious plots. He writes primarily in fantasy, urban fantasy, and science fiction, but he's also dabbled in cozy mystery from time to time. To see John's vast library of laughs, visit www.johnplogsdon.com. ...more

Tales From the Land of Ononokin (8 books)
  • The Full Moon Event (Tales From the Land of Ononokin, #2)
  • Bob the Zombie (Tales From the Land of Ononokin, #3)
  • Gappy's Gadgets (Tales from the Land of Ononokin, #4)
  • The Kidnapped Prince (Tales from the Land of Ononokin, #5)
  • Saving Major Wiggles (Tales from the Land of Ononokin, #6)
  • The Ultimate Dragon Fighting Championship (Tales from the Land of Ononokin, #7)
  • Star Dwarves (Tales from the Land of Ononokin #8)