Start by marking “Shifter's Sacrifice (One True Mate, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shifter's Sacrifice (One True Mate, #1)

Shifter's Sacrifice

(One True Mate #1)

An all wolf-shifter police force has been the only thing between humans and an unknown evil for centuries, but the pack is in danger of dying if they don't find their promised mates soon.

Trevor Burbank is a shifter cop in a world of humans who don't know the evil that wants them dead. If he does his job well, the humans will never need to know, but he feels like he's work
Kindle Edition, Original Heat Publishing Edition, 307 pages
Published August 22nd 2016 by Heat Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about Shifter's Sacrifice, please sign up.
Laura Jones The brothers were raised by their uncle, because their mother had died. Growing up as a shape-shifter, they are supposed to switch back and forth to…moreThe brothers were raised by their uncle, because their mother had died. Growing up as a shape-shifter, they are supposed to switch back and forth to get used to changing forms. Their uncle was clueless and let them stay shifted, and they never learned how to shift back to human. I think it's about impossible to learn after they grow up. Something makes me think they will learn though, and get mates for themselves.(less)

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔
description

So. This series I happened upon while I was going through my daily bookbub email. So here I am reading this series.

First off I'm a little bit disappointed with this book. So I'm giving it a round up to four stars as I am rating it 3.5. It had the potential to go places and get more interesting in its complexity. The beginning had me all sorts of 'what the fuck is going on?'
description
and 'what are all these weird names for these different shifters? the hell is going one?!'.
description

Cause seriously, this book jus
GimmeAllTheWerdssss
I really wanted to like this. I love paranormal/supernatural stories and this appeared to be right up my ally.

Initally it was the time jump/POV switch that caught me off guard. Then it was the fact that the Hero was rather weak. He was supposed to the leader and mostly alpha but nothing he did came across that way. He let others make decisions and I had to read around 3 pages of him wanting to kill himself.
Then it was the heroine who started off as this shy, kinda backwards, never fit in anywhe
Cheesecake
Ivy Deluca
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: shifter-romances
description
Yeah....not sure about this. I liked the setup for this 'verse, but the story just got bogged down with so much exposition about the rules. It needed to be streamlined and more time spent on developing the characters. If you care about the characters, then it's easier to digest all the rigmarole involved in setting up such a complex mythology for shifters.

It just felt like there was too many characters, not enough development. Ella and Trevor's personalities felt ill-defined and while I tried t
Notorious Book Tease
Interesting PNR

This is an interesting take on shifters and their origin. It took a little while to get into the story as there is a lot of “lingo” that is introduced but not exactly explained in context, and a lot of concepts and characters introduced. Overall, this was a quick, fun read, and I will be reading the next book in the series.
Cassandra
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
My Thoughts - 4 out of 5 Unicorns - I really liked it!!!
***Received a copy of the ebook for an honest review and I’ve already bought my own copy!

The cover is of course awesome because it has both beautiful beasts on it which is my favorite kind of cover!

This is the first time I’ve read anything by Lisa Ladew, but I do own several of her books and now this one too! This is the first book in a new shifter series called One True Mate. It is for adults only due to the steamy content.

This was defini
Amanda
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Allow me to summarize my interpretation of the book;
blah blah blah, long drawn out descriptions of their mythology, blah blah prophecy, blah blah more mythology, blah prophecy, blah the need to have a group orgy, blah prophecy and the inability to see what is in front of them, blah blah unneeded look into the secondary character's orgy with prostitutes, blah prophesied showdown, and finally very blah-requisite sex scene between mc's to end the book.

Too many loose threads that mean nothing. So. B
Namita
The heroine was a bit weak in my opinion. That’s why 3 Stars ⭐

All the other characters are awesome. I am looking forward to reading about Mac, Graeme and of course Crew. Hope the other heroines are so blah!
Romance Novel Giveaways Lauren Seiberling
A very cool and unique spin on shifters! Lisa created an awesome world in this book, complete with an epic adventure as the undertone for the series. I was pulled in immediately, and I loved the differences between this book and the ol' run-of-the-mill shifter books I have read in the past. I definitely felt the suspense as the story unfolded, wondering what would happen to Ella and, later on, Trevor. Lisa did an excellent job keeping me guessing! The book had some proofreading issues throughou ...more
The Romance Book Disciple (Samantha)

Shifter's Sacrifice is book 1 in the One True Mate series by Lisa Ladew, a new to me author. Starting a new series, especially one that requires world building can be a challenge. I am torn about Shifter's Sacrifice and here is why:

the world building was confusing at times. The author tries to not dump it all at once in the beginning, which is great, but the way things were revealed got a bit confusing at times. It felt that things were out of order and I missed something, only to figure it ou
Kristal Taylor
Oh my gosh what a great book. I loved everything about this book and the author. I can't describe how enticing this story is and how you won't be disappointed by reading the first book of this series. This book is seriously a wonderful story of angels, demons, Wolfen, trying to save the human arch from extinction except for the demons. This is the first book I've read from this author and the author has a vivid imagination. The Shiften (all Shifters) are desperate to ensure the end of their kind ...more
Alaina
Okay so I read another shifter book, but unlike any of the ones I've previously read, this one had really weird names for the different shifter species. I don't really know how I feel about that. I did skim through some parts just because I thought they were boring and I just didn't care about that character (aka the bad guy) I have no idea why but meh those parts just didn't grab my attention. I also thought that there were some unnecessary characters in this book, but I get that some were intr ...more
Jane
In Shifter's Sacrifice Trevor Burbank, a wolfen finds his 'One True Mate' when he meets Gabriela Carmi, a half and half angel woman that is the first true mate to be found after all the female shifters were eliminated thirty years before by an evil being from another realm.

Ella, as Gabriela likes to be called is confused by her powers and all the strange happenings in her life that makes her different. Trevor is part of the prophecy for the saving of all shiftens. Together they face evil, work t
Mindy
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good story. I really enjoyed diving into this new fantasy world. The author took a classic and gave it a new twist, changing some of the usual names of the creatures and making them into something new. The characters, Ella and Trevor, are really great. I enjoyed being able to go on this journey with them. I also really like Trevor's brothers, Trent and Troy. I hope the author will write something for them later. Off to read book 2 now.
Katrina
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Really 2.5* .
Weak hero, convoluted mythology, a lot of leads that initially appeared to be of importance but are not followed through , e.g. police badge and retinal scan door in h's house ; the pendant - lots of emphasis on it's significance but no explanation and than it just disappears . So , overall, meh.
Megan
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book more than I did. Ella annoyed me. She was kind of an idiot.
Ashlie
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was ok. Not my favorite book. I give it 3.5 stars. It was a sweet story had a good story line but had it’s dumb moments.
Trish R.
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It started a little slow but I loved it..

I was wondering if this book was going to be any good since it started kinda slow and the hero and heroine didn’t meet until page 25. But it got better and better and their meeting was worth the wait. (((He noticed her pulse beating in her neck and he watched it, fascinated by the bluish tinge he saw at the delicate cut of her collarbone. She was cold. He should offer her a coat. His truck to warm up in. Or to drive. Maybe to have as her own. Or he could
Shadi ***save your ratings use disclaimers**
I am tempted to rate this higher just because I like where the author went with the storyline. It has some originality, the world building was pretty good, I typically love prophecy books. So I really want to rate it higher.....unfortunately, I can't. The writing was stilted at times and I didn't connect with the couple really at all. I basically read it only for the paranormal side of the story and what was going to happen.

Also I know it's shitty of me because people need to move on but I reall
Tracy Dobbs
I wanted to like this more than I did. It has a great premise for the existence/origin of shifters. It's just that the main character, Ella, came across as so...well, fuck, I just gotta say it...stupid. At least at her stupidest point, when she trusts the fucking demon to let her sister (who she doesn't even like, WTF would she even trade her own life? stupid) go free, she is given the self awareness to realize that she is the dumb girl killed in horror movies first. I don't know how this scared ...more
Jennifer Beckman
Oct 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Lynn Thinking out loud
I really enjoyed this book. I love the world she has set up in here. Not to descriptive, but enough to give you a taste of it. Great background story for how it all started. I can't wait for the next book. Steam factor 4.
Theresa
Sep 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
DNF. Boring. Dull sex. World building was piece meal.
Siobahn Geldenhuys
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I found the concept really interesting with the reflections of Christianity in the religion of the wolves and think she has managed to take a tired genre and put her personal and intriguing spin on it.
Although not a major character in this book my favourite character is Mac and I'm very interested to see what his story is. He is antagonistic, rude and combative to those in the unit and those who he is surrounded by. Mac is definitely there to lighten some awkward scenes or s
Meiwilli
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Surprisingly refreshing...This ain’t your mother’s paranormal wolf shifter tale. A dictionary would've been nice, for all the new factions and entities.

Starts out very complicated, slow, unassuming, different and unpredictable where the story is leading. No real introduction to this world or the characters. I wasn't sure what to expect but kept reading and can best sum it up this way:

The Kilo/Khain Special Response Team (KRST) is made up of a group of Wolven with the primary goal of hunting down
Wendy Hodges
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Originally I bought this for the cover, unusual for me but come on it's Burton Hughes. Since then I have read a few by this author and enjoyed them so I decided not to just look at the cover but actually read the book, so glad I did. This isn't a normal shifter romance with a mild tale to go along with the mating of true mates, no! this has an in depth story of shifters in different types of roles like firemen, police and even in the state department. It is also linked with someone who more comm ...more
Country Goose
Just because I finished the story......

This is a book containing too much useless information that has nothing to do with the story. The backstory build up was all over the place and drags out pity parties. When I finished, the end left me with a "WTH did I just read?"

A little criticism for the author: If you don't explain something or give it substantial purpose, you need to leave it out. You pushed so much into your readers that we were overwhelmed, yet it left your characters empty.

Stop rea
Karen Voitik
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
>Book Review – One True Mate

>I am an independent reviewer. This book is the first in the Shifters’ Sacrifice series and ends in an HEA. Trevor and his brothers are cops. They are wolf shifters. Troy and Trent never shift to human and act as large dogs in the canine unit. In this world, shifters of all kind and other paranormal beings abound, but stay hidden from humans. The story is about Trevor looking for his one true mate, following a prophesy and trying to find and kill a demon. Ella c
Rachel
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Before I start this review, I have to ask this. Who, in the world, is a sucker for a cleft chin? Of all the features you can look for in a guy and you go straight for the chin……really?

Alright, time for the review.

This book literally drops you in the middle of a story. Words, species, phrases in general are all in a different language. Some are explained, but a lot aren’t and reader is left with a “WTF…?” look a lot of the time.

Then we get to the main characters…holy. Shit. It. Took. Forever. Fo

• Midnight Moonrising  (Moonrising, #1)
  • Shared for Love (Shifter World: Royal-Kagan #6)
  • Destined for Time (Myths and Legends #2)
  • At One's Pleasure (Keeping Her, #2.5)
  • Nessa's Two Shifters (Wolf's Pass Shifters, #1)
  • Cry Of The Wolf (Eye Of The Storm, #2)
  • Racing the Alpha (Dirt Track Dogs, #1)
  • Seduced by the Moon (Moonlight Shifters, #1)
  • The Bear Project (The Projects, #2)
  • Chasing Cassie (Shadowpeak Wolves, #2)
  • Claimed by Love (Wild Hunters, #1)
  • Insatiable (Luecross Wolves, #2)
  • The Alpha's Heart (Wilde Creek, #2)
  • Prymal Lust (Prymal Series)
  • The Baine Chronicles Series, Books 1-3: Burned by Magic, Bound by Magic, Hunted by Magic
  • An Unhuman Journey (Only Human #2)
  • Samuel (Samuel's Pride #1)
  • Falling for You (Trueblood, #2)

One True Mate (9 books)
  • Dragon's Heat (One True Mate, #2)
  • Shifter's Echo (One True Mate, #3)
  • Shifter's Innocent (One True Mate, #4)
  • Shifter's Rogue  (One True Mate, #5)
  • Bear's Redemption  (One True Mate, #6)
  • Shifter's Paradox (One True Mate #7)
  • Night of the Beast (One True Mate #8)
  • Shifter's Dream (One True Mate 9)
“She ran to catch up but he set a pace he hoped would keep her from talking. Past the sodas, he picked up a squeaky toy from a pile and squeaked it, grinning at Troy. Troy wouldn’t dare bite him in the store. He hoped. Ella pointed to a bag of dog food. “Do you need any of this?” Trevor laughed. “Hell no, they eat steak. The last time I brought some of that home as a joke Troy went in my closet and shit in all my shoes. Never again.” 1 likes