Start by marking “The Painted Crown (Unbreakable Soldiers #2)” as Want to Read:
The Painted Crown (Unbreakable Soldiers #2)

The Painted Crown

(Unbreakable Soldiers #2)

Prince Istari has spent his life reviled: his parents wish he had never been born, the royal court of Belemere avoids him for fear of angering the king, and everyone else is kept away by his notorious reputation as a deadly sharpshooter. Now a hostage of peace in Tallideth, he is subjected to their hatred as well—even that of Regent Vellem, who once considered him a comrad ...more
Published November 16th 2016 by Less Than Three Press

To ask other readers questions about The Painted Crown, please sign up.
lady_knight There is a third book titles Stolen Crown but I don't know the release date. There is a blurb at the end of Painted Crown.
lady_knight Yes. There are a lot of important events and details in the first book that impact the events in the second.

Adam
This book takes a while to get going. I’m a fan of Megan Derr’s worldbuilding and story-weaving, so I didn’t mind, but it definitely takes patience to see how the plot will play out.

The romance plays second fiddle until the second half. Teverem and Istari develop a friendship and bond over the children, Teverem’s adopted nieces and nephew, but they don’t think of each other amorously until later on.

A low-key romance isn’t unusual for Megan Derr, but in this case it’s more so a result of who Ista
Deeze
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's always hard finishing a Megan Derr Novel. I just hate leaving the worlds I come to love.

While this one had a slightly darker feel to it than other, I was still captivated from the start. Istari was everything I love, cool and hard on the outside but soft as a marshmallow on the inside. His childhood broke my heart so seeing him finally get his HEA was wonderful.

The children in this gave me my dose of cuteness. I'd of loved to see their dogs though lol.

Romance wise there was plenty of build
DaisyGirl
4.0 Stars

Prince Istari was a sad, sad character. I felt so bad for his circumstances and I admired his inner strength. I loved the love story that developed between him and Lord Teverem. There were lumps and bumps along the way but that just added to the overall satisfaction at the end.

Bottom line: I can't wait for book 3! Gimme, gimme, gimme!
Chris, the Dalek King
To secure a peace between Belemere and Tallideth, Prince Istari–the legal son of Belemere’s last King–is to be held hostage in Tallideth. Istari’s father, in his madness, had tried to assassinate the royal family of Tallideth and use the chaos it caused to win the long war between them, and almost succeeded. Now, the new King of Belemere–Istari’s brother–has sent Istari to Tallideth as a hostage and a promise that Belemere will keep its side of the peace bargained between them.

It would be an und
Santy
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
*** 3.5 Stars ***

I really enjoyed The Painted crown.

I must admit that I hadn't read book 1, The Engineered Throne, but that really didn't affect the reading experience as the book could function perfectly as a standalone baring a few prior events which happened in book 1 that were explained over the course of this story.

First off, I loved Istari and the way he kept a great core of goodness despite the truly shitty hand that Life dealt him. He went out of his way to help all those in need and w
Ami
I liked the first book, The Engineered Throne, and when I saw that this one would feature a demisexual couple, I immediately decided to continue reading the series. Unfortunately, the demisexuality was part of my problem with enjoying the book in case of the romance.

Don't get me wrong -- it wasn't that I wanted more sex scenes. As an asexual myself, I always prefer the less steam/fade-to-black romance anyway.To me, that romantic built-up, the process, is WAY more significant than the horizontal
Lissel
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, kids-family
I’m not gonna lie. I thought I was going to like this one more tan I ended up doing. I guess it’s one of those cases of “it’s me, not the book”, thought to be more specific, it was the characters that put me off, particularly Teverem.

As a matter of fact, I found Istari to be interesting. He had many layers to him, but he was ultimately a character I could understand and relate to. Unfortunately, I found Teverem to be … flat. He was way too passive for my liking. He was very helpless and relied t
~nikki the recovering book addict
Huge Megan Derr fan, even if I don’t always love her books. I enjoyed this one, it’s definitely Megan Derr’s signature style of detail and intrigue and clever court drama. Although, perhaps because the High King’s Golden Tongue kind of set the bar higher, this one feels a tad lacklustre.

But maybe also because I’ve never had the stomach for murder, even if it’s a fictional character who deserves it. Istari kind of isn’t what I expected him to be. And while I always prefer my heroes to be less th
Melanie
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
At this point, I will happily take any Megan Derr book home with me. This was no exception.

Although I haven't (yet) read the first in this series, I had no trouble following poor Prince Istari, political prisoner of sorts in the country he had done a lot of damage. Istari has never really had anyone to care for him, so when his brother sends him away as a political hostage, and his fiance follows that up with a Dear John letter, he is understandably adrift. Soon thereafter, however, he meets you
Pjm12
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I re-read the first book in this series (The Engineered Throne, and although I loved it just as much, it isn't necessary because Istari only enters in the final chapters, and Tevi doesn't appear at all. The Painted Crown could be read without the first one, because sadly Vel and his prince make only a small appearance.

Prince Istari is a sympathetic character. He has had the most awful upbringing (we are glimpses along the way), and has only ever tried to do his best, and for his King and country
Susan
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to receive an ARC of The Painted Crown by Megan Derr. One of the reasons I love Megan’s writing is she truly paints the whole LGBTQIA rainbow, including all the less-seen shades. In The Painted Crown, Istari is bisexual and Teverem is asexual, but they still find happiness, which is what everyone wants. The HEA is much delayed due to assassination attempts by evil political adversaries and two uncertain men. This book has children as an important element and they were handled ver ...more
Riayl
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, mm, romance
Excellent follow up to The Engineered Throne. Can't wait to read the next book.
orannia
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, 2016
I loved it. I was worried when my favourite character from the previous book - Vel - was only in one scene, but I grew to love Istari. And I loved the theme of family that ran throught the story.
Jenn
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous fantasy from Megan Derr. I love her worlds!
Shelley
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
iam

I remember reading this book for the first time and it meant so much to me on a very personal level - my second read was a bit less emotional but I still enjoyed it greatly.
To everyone who ever felt like nobody would miss them.
Istari is many things:
A prince, because he is son of the queen;
A bastard, because his blood father is not the king;
A disappointment, because that's what all of three of his parents have told him his entire life;
A sharpshooter, even called the best there
Mel
What a great sequel to The Engineered Throne! I think it picks up the vibe of the former story perfectly and brings more depths to the world by focusing on a new set of characters who were in parts already introduced in the former book.

I found the protagonist, prince Istari, very relatable. Like, some characters are otherworldly great and special or funny and quirky, but he’s just a man—which doesn’t make him boring or anything, just someone like you and me. I felt for him and his vulnerable lon
Niquie
Started good, Istari is likable and sympathetic, but after a certain point him constantly mentioning how horrible his life was because became too much. And I ended up skimming after he agreed to help his dad. I just lost interest, which is sad because I really liked it in the beginning.

The romance is more of an afterthought, mostly Istari likes Tevi because he was kind to him and he loves his kids. I sympathized with how overwhelmed Tevi must’ve been during the story, but I never really felt lik
Relly
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-2017-read
Great second book

4 stars
This is a great addition to the series. I love the worlds this author creates and the tales spun around these worlds.
As with the previous book this world is perilous to everyone and each turn sees another problem. Told entirely from Istari's POV we get to understand his childhood and how that shaped the man he is today, never believing the good anyone sees in him. I enjoyed his interactions with his team, which showed the light hearted teasing.
The relationship between I
Rosie
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
I don't understand how I loved the first book so much, yet this one sucked so bad. The MC was a classic case of the misunderstood special snowflake who's oh so amazing if only someone would understand him! I didn't like him and the love interest had all the characterization of a wet rag.

I couldn't get through it. It makes me miserable to think about it.
Lada
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wanted to know the story, but I wasn't invested in it. I didn't like the MCs, and their romance was totally flat. There're also 4 children in the story. I think the only character who interested me was Morrin.
Tierra
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the continuation of the story from the first novel. I felt that there was a little too much repetition of issues between the two man characters and that this detracted from the story.

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Reviewed on The Blogger Girls

As restitution for the role Belemere played in the tragedy that struck Tallideth, Prince Istari is considered a hostage of peace and stuck in Tallideth for the next six years. Used to having hatred directed at him, Istari isn’t too surprised when he’s met with contempt during his stay. So when he meets the quiet and flustered Lord Teverem, he’s surprised by how nice Teverem is to him and a tentative friendship ensues. Until Istari meets Teverem’s nephew and
Justyna Małgorzata
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I don't mind brooding characters assuming they're not idiots at the same time. Istari was likeable enough, especially so in company of his comrades in arms. The parts that included Istari's sharpshooters were actually the best bits of the whole book. Such a great team! Such chemistry between them! Loved it. Loved every time Istari entered his "soldier/commander mode".
The plot is decent, with some interesting twists. What I struggled with was TOO MUCH CHILDREN. And I don't mean the actual number,
Jojo
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to roll around in this book and enjoy it forever. This might be my favorite Megan Derr book. And from me, that is saying a WHOLE LOT.

This book has two demisexuals, one bi, falling slowly in love. IT IS SO SWEET I CAN’T EVEN EXPRESS IT. They fall in love, save the world, and protect their children. Is there anything else I could possibly want in a book? Oh, how about some cool political intrigue and action and characters showing that they are way more than they seem.

Like book one, this
Morgan
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Pros: Megan Derr is very good at world building. As most of her books are fantasy (almost high fantasy) this is key. She gives enough background detail to build a map in the readers mind. Along with detail about the different coulters this allows for a rich reading experience.

Cons: One thing I find frustrating is Ms. Derr's over use of a plot device. I have read 4 books by this author in the last week and in each one the main character couples experience a breakdown in communication that results
Becky
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: heterochromia
Loved, loved, loved this. Megan Derr hits all my book-requirement buttons with this style of writing - thrills aplenty, slow developing love that stems from forced/indentured beginnings, inner doubts, musings and suppositions that you just know are misdirected and that deep down love is blossoming. Love it all.
M
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable

I read the first book in the series and it was OK, but this one is much better. Love Istari, and adore his team of sharpshooters and the action scenes which are sooooo good and not cliche at all. 5 stars for this one
Sarah Swarthout
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love this so much. It's all around just a great story, but you know I'm especially a slut for representation. Give me multiple ace-spectrum or aro-spectrum characters, or both, FUCK YEAH. I support the hell out of everyone but the Bad People. Just, ugh, so great.
Shelby
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in the Unbreakable Soldiers series. I can't I enjoyed this one as much as the first, probably due to not liking the characters quite as much, it was still a very enjoyable read. Can't wait for the third installment.
Less Than Three P...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Giveaway - The Painted Crown by Megan Derr - CLOSED 32 39 Nov 21, 2016 01:59PM
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com
maderr.tumblr.com
maderr.livejournal.com

Unbreakable Soldiers (2 books)
  • The Engineered Throne (Unbreakable Soldiers #1)
“Do not underestimate the strength it takes to be the hearth everyone turns to for warmth.” 1 likes
“I have found food general guidelines are: be polite, be pleasant, be brief. When even that is too much to manage, pick a quiet corner and look at everyone like they are the greatest of disappointments. Obey royalty, be respectful to those above you, ignore or indulge those below you, and always be generous to staff and tradesmen. One loyal servant is worth then kings.” 0 likes