Start by marking “Say Goodbye for Now” as Want to Read:
Say Goodbye for Now

Say Goodbye for Now

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  12,839 ratings  ·  1,086 reviews
On an isolated Texas ranch, Dr. Lucy cares for abandoned animals. The solitude allows her to avoid the people and places that remind her of the past. Not that any of the townsfolk care. In 1959, no one is interested in a woman doctor. Nor are they welcoming Calvin and Justin Bell, a newly arrived African American father and son.

When Pete Solomon, a neglected twelve-year-ol
Published December 13th 2016 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Say Goodbye for Now, please sign up.
David I have read 8 of her books and have enjoyed each of them. I think her latest book, Allie and Bea, is my favorite. If you enjoy audio books, this is…moreI have read 8 of her books and have enjoyed each of them. I think her latest book, Allie and Bea, is my favorite. If you enjoy audio books, this is one of the best narrations I have listened to. (less)
Jamie Dacyczyn I noticed this, but also noticed it was most prevalent in the parts with Pete's 12-year-old point of view. The tone was slightly more grown up for the…moreI noticed this, but also noticed it was most prevalent in the parts with Pete's 12-year-old point of view. The tone was slightly more grown up for the part with the doctor's POV.(less)

·  12,839 ratings  ·  1,086 reviews

Cindy Burnett
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tlc-book-tour

Say Goodbye for Now is a beautifully written book that will stay with me for a long while. While the summary for the book focuses on the relationship between Dr. Lucy and Calvin, I felt the main character was actually Pete Solomon, who has become my favorite adolescent character in fiction today. Pete is such a kind and caring individual whose story is heart-breaking; I was rooting for him the entire book and was so thankful that he met Dr. Lucy.

The story opens in 1959 in a small West
♥ Sandi ❣

Family...that can be those you are related to or those you choose to surround yourself with. For 12 yr old Pete Solomon his family became those he choose. Dr Lucy Armstrong had chosen a solitary life sans family and friends, until she met Pete. An injured wolf hybrid brought them together. Then Justin and Calvin Bell entered the picture and the family became larger. It is the 1950's and miscegenation rears its head. Years go by, life goes on, and the world catches up to this family.
Cat
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I enjoyed this book. I really thought that this was going to be a book about a dog based on the cover. I obviously did not read the book's summary prior to starting this audiobook. There is a dog in the book but that dog is really not the main focus of the story. This was a story about race, love, and what really makes up a family. I am so glad that I stumbled upon this wonderful story.

This book is told from two points of view. Dr. L
CL
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's 1959 and the country is still prejudiced against anyone of color. When an abused 12 year old boy, Pete, finds what he thinks is a dog injured alongside the road he tries to help it and his best friend abandons him. Turned away from the vets because the animal is a cross between a wolf and dog he tries to make it several miles out of town to get help at a lady doctor who he has learned helps animals. Along the way he meets an African American boy by the name of Justin his own age and they st ...more
Judy Collins
Master storyteller, Catherine Ryan Hyde returns following Leaving Blythe River (2016) with another heartfelt powerful message with SAY GOODBYE FOR NOW.

—With highly charged topics, from untraditional families; love, loss, racial tension, animals, and the chance meetings of four unique souls drawn together by an unbreakable bond. Lives which will be enriched by one another.

Top 50 Books of 2016!

Interweaving a story of a heartbreaking, forbidden love in the South 1950s-60s Texas, with an unli
Amy
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

As much as I adore my creepy and intense thrillers and mysteries, over the Christmas holiday I wanted to snuggle up with a book that didn’t have a serial killer as a main character. I won a copy of Say Goodbye For Now from the author and was so exited as I’ve had several of her books in my TBR and hadn’t gotten around to them before now. I’m kicking myself now that I waited this long to read one of Ryan Hyde’s novels and I’m vowing here and no
Carole
Catherine Ryan Hyde knows how to write characters that I connect with better than anyone. I felt as though I personally knew Pete, Dr Lucy, Calvin & Justin. I thought this was going to be mostly about a dog, and though that's what brings these unlikely friends together, the dog is not central to the story. It's about being a good friend, helping someone, and doing the right thing. It's also about unfairness & cruelty. I was in tears after a certain hospital scene.
This makes my last book
Jules
I completely fell in love with this book and the characters within it. Catherine Ryan Hyde is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. Her stories are so emotional and touching, and her characters are so endearing and adorable, it’s impossible not to fall in love with them. This is a great story for animal lovers too.

I actually bought this on Kindle ages ago, but kept not getting round to reading it. So when I spotted it available as an audiobook on Kindle Unlimited, I jumped at the chance to
Deanna Sletten
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, netgalley
Four lonely people find each other in a small, Texas town in the stifling time-period of 1959. When Pete finds a hurt dog/wolf on the side of the road, he takes the animal to Dr. Lucy, who lives alone on a small ranch and cares for injured and unwanted animals. Reluctantly, she helps the dog, and soon, her life becomes complicated as she becomes involved in the lives of Pete, his new friend, Justin, and then Justin’s father, Calvin. Normally, this would be a good thing, but in 1959, a white woma ...more
Ezinwanyi
This story grazes upon on a number of sensitive subjects. There was the issue of a female doctor, Lucille “Lucy” Armstrong, whose husband left her as her professional standing exceeded his. In addition, her adolescent son resented her because of her work schedule. Adding insult to injury, Dr. Armstrong was lacking in respectable patients as many people in the rural area of Texas refused to be treated by a woman. Then author also deals with the issue of child abuse and abandonment as the reader w ...more
Skip
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
What a wonderful book to pull on heartstrings, set in Texas in 1959. Young Pete finds an injured dog/wolf on the side of the road, and when the local vet refuses to help, a helpful nurse sends him to the reclusive Dr. Lucy, who cares for injured or unwanted animals. Pete befriends Justin, neither of whom has a mother; however, Pete lives in a loveless home, while Justin lives in a loving one, with father Calvin. Pete and his father's relationship deteriorates over his friendship with Justin beca ...more
Babydimps (Suzy)
I absolutely LOVED this book! It was one of those books that you just didn't want to end. This was my first experience with this author. I can't wait to read more from her.
Trudy
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars. So, I love this author and have read several of her books. However, this one left me a little flat. It's an awesome story, though. I just could not reach the level of emotion I should have felt while reading this. Some really horrendous events occurred here, but the characters' reactions were not realistic. They should have been "mad as hell", about some of the things which happened, but I just didn't get that while reading their dialogue.
In fairness, this book has received almost al
Melodie
Say Goodbye For Now has a lot to say. Taking place in rural Texas for 1959 through 1967, the author beautifully brings together a disparate group of people. Writing from the perspectives of a child and an adult, bound together by an injured wolf/dog.
The perspective of the twelve year old boy is juvenile as it should be, laced through with that uncanny ability of the young to be wise beyond their years. Lucy, the purposefully isolated doctor, runs the gamut of emotion from suspicion and exasper
Noriko
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautifully written book on friendship, royalty, and love. The subject matters dealt in this book are certainly hard-hitting and made me sick in the stomach at times, but this is undeniably one of the thought-provoking books that I read this year.

The story focuses on the main two characters, Pete and Dr. Lucy and they respectively have their own issues, Pete with his abusive father and Dr. Lucy with a dark past of having divorced and lost her son to pneumonia; she secludes herself away
Jenny Whetzel
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have only read a couple books by this author but know that I want to keep reading more. This is a fantastic story. The characters in this story are very likable and have a lot of depth to them. Lastly, this book has a positive lesson.
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I picked this book up after reading one which led to a huge reading slump and little did I know this book would be all I needed to cure it. I have previously read another book by Catherine Ryan Hyde, "Worthy," and although I adored it as well, I had no idea this one would be so much better.

One early summer day Pete and his friend are headed out fishing. Along the way, they run into a large dog alongside the road who has been hit. Pete immediately wants to help the dog, because that's just the ty
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
Another brilliant book by a very talented writer that keeps giving us stories that we cannot put down! Say Goodbye for Now was another book of hers that I was completely engrossed by. It kept me engaged and turning pages. She mixes characters, both human and four legged into a story that warms the heart, gives back hope and promise in the world. I highly recommend this book and know for certain it would be a book club hit!
Jan
Wow this was a wonderful book! It was a thoughtful, heartwarming story that tackled the difficult subject of racial prejudice in the late 1950’s. Hyde handled the subject well and with a lot of dignity.

I absolutely loved the main characters. Petey was a great kid showing such honor and bravery in each difficult situation he encountered. I enjoyed watching Dr. Lucy’s guarded heart open up to much needed healing. With the addition of Calvin and his son Joseph we have four hurt and oppressed human
Goth Gone Grey
Loving wins

The 1950's seem too recent to call this a historic fiction story. And yet, the antiquated views on race relations that were common in those times make it feel further away than it was. (Or, even sadder, that some still hold those views. But I digress.)

This is the sort of book that pulls you into another time while making you happy that those times are (somewhat, anyway, we're learning) in the past. A boy finds an injured dog, a friend, and a new family, the story developing slowly, wi
Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-stars
I keep forgetting how good Catherine Ryan Hyde writes. This story starts off slow with Dr Lucy by herself. Not able to practice medicine because the town wont accept her as a woman doctor; she resorts to taking care of wounded animals and lives alone in the house her father left her.

But one day that all changes with Pete, a little boy who found a wolf-dog injured and when the vet would not help him, he takes the animal to Dr Lucy. And that is when a friendship starts with not only the doctor but
Tiffy
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me all the feels. It may take a few moments to get them back in check.

Set in the late 1950s 4 people who aren't supposed to be seen together try to form a close knit family and friendships. Driven away by racism, hatred and violence they will have to work their hardest to try to make things work.

If you've not read this book. Get your hands on It ASAP.

Linda
Book selection for our October (2018) Book Club. Another great book by Catherine Ryan Hyde. Full of life's lessons. A story of love and hope.
Therese
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simply yet powerfully told story about abuse and racism, set in 1950's Texas and told through the story of a friendship between two young boys - one African American and one white - on the brink of their teenage years, an abusive and racist father, a female doctor whose emotional walls are brought down, a protective wolf-dog, and a budding romance between an interracial couple during a time of miscegenation, waiting for time and a change in law and culture to catch up with them.
Barbara
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Catherine Ryan Hyde, where have you been hiding? This story has such a lyrical, melancholy feel to it. The writing is so descriptive, every moment I felt I was there with Dr. Lucy as she took care of the gunshot wound of a thief, I was there as Pete's father berated him, and when Pete finds Justin after he gets beaten within an inch of his life, and for the tender, budding relationship between Calvin and Lucy. The writing had the feel of Kent Haruf, who has written so many great stories taking p ...more
Diana
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is a rare book that captures the essence of a critical period in history in a way that resonates today. As I reflected on the impact of Say Goodbye for Now, I came to see that for me, and perhaps for anyone disheartened by the current unrest in our country, this is a story about finding a way to carve out, and protect, a space for possibility while living in a seemingly impossible time.

Just as this novel was delving into the transformational power of woundedness, millions of the walking wound
Marvin
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this in spite of myself. It's a sappy story told without much creativity or style, the characters are cliched, and the dialogue is stiff and unbelievable. Yet for what it is, it works. The straightforward chronological narrative carries you along, and you quickly learn to care for the characters: a crusty female doctor with a hidden heart of gold living on an isolated ranch in Texas, caring for a bunch of abandoned, damaged animals; a 12-year-old boy, also with a heart of gold, nearly pe ...more
Eileen Goudge
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and Life-Affirming

As moving as Ms. Hyde's previous novels, this one hits all the right notes and leaves you satisfied, knowing that there are good people in a world full of bad ones
bella ϟ  [ bella farren ]
5 / 5 stars

My heart.

That ending.

I cannot recommend this book enough. I honestly did not know what to expect going in, and I took my sweet time when I realised what I had discovered. It was filled with so much injustice, love, anger, beauty, pain, empathy and unconditional care. The characters that fill this book are vivid and wonderful, complex and faulted.

I don't think I've read a book that has touched me like this one in a very long time. I would recommend that people go into this without k
Linda Lpp
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are so many excellent reviews about this book, there is little to add. I didn't want the book to end. I've hoped there would be a book to follow to take the story more into the future.
Personally to this day have deep scars related to a relationship with a wonderful man of Trinidadian descent. This began in the mid 70's, and recall the stares we would get when we were out and about. I was never sure in my own mind if my family would ever accept a permanent relationship with him. I was in m
  • Bound To Fate (Bound Series, #1)
  • Graceland
  • The Final Note
  • Baby Girl (Memory House, #4)
  • A Peach of a Pair
  • Beneath the Willow
  • Much Ado About Madams (Hearts of Owyhee, #2)
  • A Far Piece to Canaan: A Novel of Friendship and Redemption
  • Face the Winter Naked
  • Mammoth: A Novel
  • The Abandoned Heart (Bliss House)
  • The Center of the World
  • Dreams of Eli
  • The Secret of the Nightingale Palace
  • This I Know
  • The Underground Railroad
  • Judy: A Dog In A Million
  • Conspiracy of Silence
I am the author of more than 30 published and forthcoming books, including ALLIE AND BEA, SAY GOODBYE FOR NOW, LEAVING BLYTHE RIVER, ASK HIM WHY, WORTHY, THE LANGUAGE OF HOOFBEATS, TAKE ME WITH YOU, WHERE WE BELONG, WHEN I FOUND YOU, WALK ME HOME, SECOND HAND HEART, DON'T LET ME GO, and WHEN YOU WERE OLDER.

I'm an avid hiker, traveler, equestrian, and amateur photographer, and have released my fir
“You think you’ll get over the loss of someone. Eventually. Because it seems we get over everything, given enough time. And I guess in a lot of ways I’ve partially gotten over the traumatic event of her passing. But what you don’t realize, until you have to live it, is that it’s the absence of the person that’s the trouble. The ongoing absence. And when you’re missing someone, a longer time without them doesn’t solve the problem. The longer you don’t see someone, the more you miss them.” 3 likes
“Changing the laws of a country is not the same as changing its hearts and minds.” 2 likes