Start by marking “Nirzona (A Love Story)” as Want to Read:
Nirzona (A Love Story)

Nirzona (A Love Story)

When Sidan’s family and village are swept away in the 2004 tsunami that ravaged Indonesia, he rushes home to Aceh, leaving behind Yogyakarta, his studies, and his beloved, Firdaus. Interrupting their plan to marry, Sidan promises Firdaus he will soon return to her side so they can spend the rest of their lives together.

But the unimaginable scale of loss and the political a
Published December 1st 2016 by AmazonCrossing (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Nirzona, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nirzona

Barbara J Kelly
Where,what,when.

Understood it was a love story of two different souls trying to unite through many obstacles but tried for the entire story, leaving the reader to ask, why did I waste my time and energy.
Calzean
This is a book of 2 love stories. One between Sidas and Firdaus. The second between Sidan and his land of Aceh.
The first story is ho hum.
The second about Aceh, it's relationship with the rest of Indonesia and the impact of the tsunami was well worth reading the book for (especially as the Javanese author was so empathetic with the Aceh people). I learnt a lot and it removed a number of perceptions I had.
Heather
Nirzona I have to admit that it took a while for me to decide whether this book was worth finishing. I was captivated by the first few pages but unsure how it was going to be a love story. When the love story did start to pick up, I was unsure if I was going to like it and then I fell in love with our female lead. Firdaus is amazing. It's not that she's gorgeous, though it's obvious that all the men around her think so. It's definitely not the lovesick way that she's portrayed in Sidan's POV sce ...more
Melissa
Another Amazon freebie. I'm not sure if it was the translation or the story, but I found this book difficult to get through. The love story isn't particularly impressive and the obstacles throw in the way of the love birds seem ridiculous. On the other hand a redeeming aspect of the book is the discussion of Aceh's relationship with Indonesia's central government and the politics that surround it- which I previously knew nothing about and found fascinating. Overall it was a slog to get to the fi ...more
Charleen Hird
Feb 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tooooo loooong

I have a bad habit of finishing a book - no matter what. I look for the great ending that makes it all worth while.

Spoiler alert. Didn't happen. When I got Two-thirds through I was ready for the never-ending journey to end.

Beautiful poetic writing. Story could be consolidated.
Chris
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sidan loved both his island and Firdaus and struggled to make a sacrifice to serve either completely. This book reminded me that are world is big and that there are many other places, poets, philosophies than the Euro-centric ones to which I have been predominantly exposed. Because of this, I missed many of the political, philosophical and poetic allusions throughout the book. I did get the deep love between Sidan and Firdaus and felt sad that technology or fate kept them apart. I also wonder ho ...more
Harry Allagree
May 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
In order to read this novel with any kind of understanding, one would have to know a good bit about Indonesian history, culture, language, etc. At this point, I don't possess that knowledge, so much of the book was incoherent to me. In broad strokes, it's a story about enduring love even when lovers are separated, as well as about loyalty to one's homeland & willingness to help in time of disaster.
Antonia (Toni)
Sep 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish this book. It was too boring and it dragged on. I think this book has a lot of potential, especially since it's sharing the rich history of Indonesia. The author just needs to make the book more entertaining and the characters need to be built better.
Sandy Bornfleth
This is a classic case of "lost in the translation ". Along with the simple writing techniques, possible due to the skills of the translator, the weak story line added to the disappointment. Just like a lot of other reviewers, I finish books that I start. But, it was painful!
A'Llyn
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the writing style jumpy and awkward, and it was a bit of a chore to get through it, but there's lots of interesting background I didn't know about Indonesia/Aceh, and it's fascinating to read a story from a cultural perspective so unfamiliar to me.
Sharon
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of the aftermath of the tsunami was interesting, but I found the love story off-putting. I could not seem to identify with characters well. The work after the wave was the best part of the story.
Elizabeth
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I received a free kindle version of this book through GoodReads First Reads. Unfortunately, the book just was not for me. I found it slow moving and lacking in focus. I am not sure if the story just didnt translate well or what, but I ended up not finishing.
Janet
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nirzons

Parts of the book I really enjoyed portraying everyday life. I did not enjoy all the "philosophical" discussion. It dragged the story down.
Susan
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc-read
Loved

I really liked this book. It was a beautiful description of the pathway to love and beautiful land. I won this book through Goodreads
Pat Hale
Oct 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not read this book. I tried two different times, but I just could not get into it.
Karen
Jan 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish the book
Endah
Oct 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam pasca-tsunami menyimpan sejuta cerita. Bencana akbar yang menghentak dunia itu telah merenggut ribuan nyawa penduduk Serambi Mekah, merenggut kecantikan provinsi di ujung utara Pulau Perca itu; memorak-porandakan alam dan kehidupan di sana seolah-olah masih belum cukup derita yang telah ditanggungnya selama ini. Seakan-akan sang bala bencana belum puas menyedot isi perut dan membuat kurus kering bumi kelahiran para Cut yang gagah berani ini.

Adalah Abidah El Khaleiqy, pe
Abduraafi Andrian
Oke. Ini adalah buku kesekian yang aku lupakan dan aku ingat pada saat aku harus ingat. Diingatkan oleh si Dia karena Dia bertemu dengan penulisnya pada jamuan makan malam tadi malam adalah hal yang memalukan.

Aku yakin novel ini mengesankan, dengan tebal buku yang standar dan ukurannya yang seperti notebook. Really? Notebook? With keyboard on that? Hoho... Maksudku buku catatan. Begitu nyaman digenggam.

Oke, sekarang masuk ke cerita. Saking banyaknya cerita yang sudah kutonton, dan pasti kubaca,
Tuscany Bernier
I wanted to love this story. I really did! I dance around 3 or 3 1/2 stars for it honestly.

I loved the fact that it was set in Indonesia. It's hard to find fiction in English set there. I love how the author described the beauty of Indonesia. She did a great job at building locations for the characters that readers can easily fall in love with. However. the actual character building has a lot of room for improvement. The characters didn't really do anything until the end so the climax felt like
Brinlie Jill
Jan 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I tried to read this for a month and couldn't get through it. The writing was really bad. I've been stuck at the airport for 5 hours with nothing to do yet I still couldn't get myself to read this. I'm not sure why anyone would publish this. The characters don't have any personality. And 'romance'? I didn't know why either person loved the other. It didn't talk at all about their history and the book gave me no reason to be invested in their story at all. Even when his mom died I felt nothing be ...more
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story, more for its descriptions of life in Indonesia than the love story itself. I suspect I have learnt more about Indonesia from reading this one book than I have in years of watching news reports and I am left wanting to know more. The love story itself is actually pretty sweet, although through some of the dream descriptions, I did find myself re-reading a few lines because I had got slightly confused. Quite deserving of its four stars.
Relena_reads
Dec 18, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not finish.

I assigned a book in translation as the 2nd Quarter Independent Reading, and was hoping that this would be my opportunity to complete the assignment alongside them. I could not get past the first few chapters. The translation was stilted, the exposition was so sparse that it was nearly impossible to follow, and there was no hook to keep me reading. I really wanted to finish this.
Michelle
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really tried to finish this book. I even made it to Firdaus' part where other reviewers said the book got better; it kind of did, but not enough for me to finish. If you appreciate incredibly slow build and your fiction more along the lines of rough poetry, then you may enjoy this story. It did encourage me to do research and expand my understanding of Indonesia.
Elizabeth
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway on my kindle. This book is beautifully written and probably not something I'd normally read. The two main characters are in love and keep missing one another when they go to where the other one is living. I had a hard time getting into it at first but then enjoyed their love story as it transpired. Interesting read.
Mychael
A beautiful but unfulfilling read

I loved the concept of reading the text messages between two lovers but the book developed extremely slowly and ended extremely quickly and abruptly
Erica Zimmermann
Dec 30, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible translation. I couldn't get through the whole thing.
Katherine
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. I'd highly recommend it.
Teresa Christensen
I had a difficult time reading/following this book. Maybe its the translation? I did enjoy how the author could describe the beauty of Indonesia though.
Arun Mehta