Start by marking “Smoke & Mirrors (Brainrush, #5)” as Want to Read:
Smoke & Mirrors (Brainrush, #5)

Read Book* *Different edition

Smoke & Mirrors

(Brainrush #5)

The exciting conclusion to Brainchild, Book-4 of the Brainrush series.

The first three books in #1 Wall Street Journal bestselling author Richard Bard’s Brainrush series garnered over 2,000 Amazon 5-Star reviews, setting the stage for the continuing story spanning three continents and two more books. With “Brainchild” (Brainrush 4) called “a high-speed thriller that ignites
Published January 10th 2015 by Richard Bard

To ask other readers questions about Smoke & Mirrors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smoke & Mirrors

Start your review of Smoke & Mirrors (Brainrush, #5)
Mark
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Following on from "Everlast", the first in the duology, this one accelerates the pace of action to a level where I found myself forgetting to breathe at times. Richard's story-telling abilities are nothing short of brilliant, and they keep you hooked from the first page.

Both this one, and its predecessor are slightly shorter than the books I usually read. Personally, I prefer a longer book. In this case however, I had both books, kindly sent to me as advance reader copies by the author, so
Kelly
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is part two of the Everlast duology and follows on from book one without missing a beat. Jake is trying to locate his family and boy you don't want to get in his way. In the meantime his Children are fighting a battle of their own. It is quite the thriller ride, fast-paced and it will have you laughing, crying, gasping, shouting at the pages and even cursing Richard Bard.

If you haven't read any of this series, I recommend starting with Brainrush and offer this advice - fasten your seatbelt
Jeff
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Satisfying Conclusion. Originally, this book and its predecessor were called a "Duology" within the overall series, and in that sense, this book provides a satisfying conclusion to that two-book storyline (that I still feel could have been condensed into one book, even just taking these two books as is and combining them to form a 600 ish page book). It also does a good job of setting up the next book via a particular unresolved thread that leads to a blatant cliffhanger - so blatant that the ...more
Wendy
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wendy by: Goodreads/First Reads
"Ephemeral" the next adventure in the "Brainrush" duology which I won from Goodreads/First Reads is a high-powered rush that begins with Jake Bronson and his friends breaking into Jiaolong's headquarters in Hong Kong where he believes his wife and children are being held hostage. But as always the madman is one step ahead of Jake, escaping to a small village in the jungle where he not only dangles the prisoners daring him to rescue them, but threatens to unleash software that will bring global ...more
Steve
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The conclusion to the Everlast portion of the Brainrush series was outstanding. I finished this book in record time because I couldn't put it down. The book had me more than a little choked up before it was over. I can't wait to see where things go from here because... wow... that ending. The Brainrush series never fails to satisfy my need for mystery and adventure. But, wow... that ending! ;-)

Another must read novel. I loved it!
Dorothy
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

So much talent is spilled out in the Brainrush series. These books has so much action from start to finish.
There has to be a sixth book it simply cannot stop here, not like this. My mouth just dropped at the end.
If you are looking for a great thriller the Brainrush series is where you should start.
Keep up the good work Mr. Bard.
Granny
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ready for book 6

I enjoyed your books because they are well written and very entertaining. I am 68 yrs old and have read well over 1500 books in my lifetime. You are one of the best authors in your genre.
Con Brennan
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
at: Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase

These books were incredible! Received the first free and quickly read and bought all the others, the old standby of, I couldn't put them down holds true! Great character development, a little bit of every scenario you can imagine, incredibly fun read!!!!
Wilma
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just love these Brainrush novels. If you like high adventure and a little unbelievable in a story, you'd love these too. I could do with a little less talk about guns and weapons though.
Josiah
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Be prepared to buy #6 immediately as the story continues immediately. One of the better scifi fantasy books out there.
Chris Miles
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this wonderful book from Richard Bard for writing a review. I have not let that colour this review.

This is the second of the Everlast duology, being a follow-up to Everlast. It is important to be aware of this and to read Everlast before turning to Ephemeral. I am pretty sure that if you do read Everlast, you will definitely be wanting to go on to read this book!!

The Everlast series were the first books written by Richard Bard that I had read. I must admit to being
Linda
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Richard Bard has done it again...

This is the second book in "THE EVERLAST DUOLOGY BOOKS" and was just as good if not better than the first. It is also part of the "BRAINRUSH SERIES".

Mr Bard has a wonderful talent for writing a story that keeps you turning pages until you have no choice but to put down the book to get a couple of hours of sleep. He is a brilliant author and all of his books will keep you wanting more.

From start to finish this book has the reader on the edge of their seats
Daniel Allen
Aug 24, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Even as a trashy, easy read, this book stands out as one of the poorest excuses of a sequel as any. Why all the great reviews? ...or to be specific, a very few amount of overwhelmingly good reviews..Richard Bachman....oh...i'm sorry..i confused this with another fake name...i mean, Richard Bard...yeah, wow, not sure how i got that mixed up. So..guy who has a fake name so he won't get vegetables thrown at him in public takes time to have a group of unpaid people to read his books before printing. ...more
Teresa Bateman
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book and the first book in this duology "Everlast" through the Goodreads giveaway program and, to be frank, I had my doubts. The books I've won have been a mixed bag. Now I am left wondering--why have I never heard of this author before? I'm also going to have to get and read his previous books. This book was all-action all the time and reads just like a movie. In fact, I'd LOVE to see a movie based on the book. Jake Bronson saved the world in the past, but practically nobody knows ...more
Pat
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ephemeral is the second novel in Richard Bard's Everlast Duology Series and we once again join forces with Jake Bronson and friends Lacey, Pete and Skylar as they arrive in Hong Kong searching for Jake's family and best friend Marshall.

So, Game on. Back on that roller coaster of thrills and spills, chock-a-block with action, suspense, danger, cutting edge technology, superb characterization and multiple strands in the plot line that all weave together to produce one fabulously exciting, fast
Pat
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Patt Lisenbee
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To understand what is going on in this phenomenal book, 1st you read Brainrush, by Richard Bard, then The Enemy of My Enemy (Brainrush 2), after that, Beyond Judgement, then Smoke and Mirrors (Jake Bronson 4, of which all these are), then Everlast and FINALLY Ephemeral! And during all this reading, you will gasp, laugh, cry, hold your breath, clap a hand over your mouth, get watery eyes, wonder how the hell they did it, think they just CAN'T do it and have more emotions than you ever had in ...more
Lynn Hallbrooks
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: now-on-candi
I'm still trying to wrap my brain around it.

This is a Science Fiction/Techno-thriller with a twist of Family Drama.

Jake goes all out to locate his family and missing friends. The young man known as Dark Matter wants Jake to find them but for an entirely different reason. Will Jake be able to save the people he loves or will evil win?

This story is full of twists and turns all the way to the end that even I didn't see coming.

This book is for Mature Audiences due to Violence.

Bryce Wilson
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very gripping read

I devoured this book. So well written and engaging I just could not put it down. Hardly a dull moment anywhere in the book. My one and only fault with it was the ending..too Hollywood. Back home and safe then a final page to turn it all upside down and end with the opening of a new story sequel.
Skip Stein
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another smashing installment.

The saga continues and the pace never lessens. An amazing adventure that incorporates action, adventure, high tech, love, kids and relationships. Oh, forgot, science fiction and aliens too. Waiting on the next and maybe final installment is driving me crazy.
Bruce
Feb 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps I'm growing bored with this particular story formula. I've read a number of series where every book has the main character and his friends battling against a super-villain's group, and they're all starting to blend together. I found my mind wandering way too much while trying to finish Ephemeral. This kind of fluff is fun sometimes, but now I'm craving a deeper story.
Susan de Gracia
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read.

Another great book in the Brainrush Series. Non-stop thrills, heart-stopping suspense, and just plain heart. This is the first time I've had to wait to read the next book in the series (not available until 2017), and it's killing me. If you're already up to reading book #5, you know what I'm talking about.
Trevor
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The concluding part to the Everlast duology, see Jake rushing in to save his family and friends. With new allies helping,Jake infiltrates the base but is caught up in Jiaolong's trap, but after Jiaolong's is betrayed, Jake sees his chance, but at what cost!! A good follow up series to Brainrush,left with the set up for more.
Jim Kratzok
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This can't be the end!

I really hope there are more stories coming! This one was impossible to put down! Once again, it's Alex, his father Jake, their friends, and family taking on twisted megalomaniacs to save the world. There are sacrifices made along the way but all seems to be resolved until the last few sentences.

Please sir, I want some more.
Angela
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This was an exciting ride! Just a good as the first book (and that is high praise) it didn't ease up on the action. I really hate reviews that tell you all about the plot as it tends to spoil it for me, so I'll only say that you will be cheering Jake on as he tries to save the day. I'm a huge fan of this series - cannot recommend it highly enough to do it justice!
Kelly
The ending of other Everlast duology kicks right off where book one ended. Jake's family and friends are missing, held hostage by an organization with some seriously nasty plans. His kids are on an adventure of their own, and heading Jake's way. The end grabs you by he throat and makes you gasp. And then you're left wondering what now?
Mary Ann
Can't wait for the final book of this series! Love the way the characters are so believable and how much you miss them when they're in different parts but not at all times. Fast paced and a definite a page turner.
AudioBookReviewer
ABR's full Ephemeral audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.
Roger D. Lee
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another villain with a grudge has to be stopped

More characters get added to the team as Jake's friends d s and family get captured and must be rescued. Enjoy the adventure as they race to find all the needed answers. Power of t he pyramid helps son and father. Enjoy.
Kimberly Sparks
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow the ride just keeps getting better...

I've read all the Brainrush books and each one is better than the last. The characters and their love for one another. The action packed fighting they go through together. The storyline, all make this a can't put down read.

• The Jefferson Legacy (Harvey Bennett #4)
  • A House Divided
  • Divide And Rule (Division Bell, #2)
  • Divided We Stand
  • Killer Cruise (A Rachel Prince Mystery Book 3)
  • Deep Six (Jake Longly #1)
  • Through the Fog (Evan, #1)
  • Oak & Thorns (The Wild Hunt #2)
  • Iron Bones (The Wild Hunt #3)
  • Mosaic (Breakthrough, #5)
  • Amid the Shadows
  • Silent Run
  • Gravity Flux: Kestrel Class Saga Book 3
  • Kestrel Class (Kestrel Class Saga Book 1)
  • The Unexpected Hero (Evan, #2)
  • Once a Soldier
  • SEALs of Honor (SEALs of Honor, #10-12)
  • The Last Stand (Blood on the Stars Book 14)
Richard Bard draws on his own experiences as a former USAF pilot and cancer survivor to craft compelling characters who risk it all for love and loyalty. Born in Munich, Germany, to American parents, he joined the United States Air Force like his father. But he left the service when he was diagnosed with cancer and learned he had only months to live. He earned a management degree from the ...more

Brainrush (7 books)
  • Brainrush (Brainrush #1)
  • The Enemy of My Enemy (Brainrush, #2)
  • Beyond Judgment (Brainrush, #3)
  • Brainchild (Brainrush, #4)
  • No Refuge (Brainrush, #6)
  • Against All Odds (Brainrush, #7)