Start by marking “The Black Shriving (Chronicles of the Black Gate #2)” as Want to Read:
The Black Shriving (Chronicles of the Black Gate #2)

The Black Shriving

(Chronicles of the Black Gate #2)

When invasion looms...

After a harrowing battle Lady Kyferin and her stalwart followers have earned themselves a brief respite from Lord Laur's fury. They know, however, that the next assault will be impossible to resist. Their sole hope of survival lies in forging an alliance with the only force capable of resisting the empire's might: the Agerastian heretics themselves.

Bu
Published July 15th 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Black Shriving, please sign up.
Phil Tucker The book is now available on paperback on Amazon, and you can grab your copy any time you like.
Phil Tucker I know I'm coming late to this question, but Book 3 is now available on Amazon. …moreI know I'm coming late to this question, but Book 3 is now available on Amazon. (less)

Start your review of The Black Shriving (Chronicles of the Black Gate #2)
Petrik
Apr 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Petrik by: Lema
I mentioned that I had a good feeling about this series in my review on The Path of Flames; with a heart full of sadness I have to say I’m starting to have doubts about that notion.

The Black Shriving, the second book out of five in The Chronicles of the Black Gate series is a good installment for the series but it suffers from a lot of things. First of all, the main plot itself moved at a snail pace, making this book seems like it was only a preparation for the next book. Other than Audsley’s st
Claudia
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The events start to pick up speed, a lot of mysteries are revealed - yet a lot more remained to be discovered -, and a fierce battle takes place.

More details are added to the worldbuilding, the Sin Casters’ stonecloud is simply amazing and the hordes of demons are nightmarish, to say the least. Tharok continues his quest in becoming the mightiest kragh in history, Asho and Kethe’s bond becomes more powerful, Iskra’s diplomatic skills are fully displayed and Audsley’s transformation is jaw-dropp
Lema
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Can this series get any better? Yes it just did..

"Not fair," he said, lowering his arms. "I was about to engage in witty repartee. It's unsporting to hit a man when he's about to quip."

In this second installment we get much more world expansion as we get to visit new vivid places, there is much more political intrigue, religious conflict and heart-stopping moments. We also get a better idea about how the magic works.. let me tell you it's different and quite creepy. I think this book is at t
TS Chan
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Despite a strong and promising start, I am starting to lose interest in the story and I don't care very much about most of the characters. While The Black Shriving have some really good moments, there are also some parts which didn't work well for me.

As I left this for way too long, I am afraid a full review will not be forthcoming. I have decided to DNF the series because I don't really care about the characters and cheesy demonic speeches.
Kells Next Read
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Actual Ratings: 4.75

I didn't think that this book could outdo it's predecessor. Oh but by the Black Freaking Gate it did. I just can't with the sheer Epic Awesomeness that is this series. The world, the characters, the magic oh dammit it's bloody perfection.

I'm racing onto book three without any delay as I must have more, more, more "miniacal laughter* Wait why am I wasting time rabbling when I should be reading. See you in a book beat.

Read this Series!!!! It's freaking awesome 😘😘😘😘😘
J.J.
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well, lets just say I'm onto book 3, nnn0w. ...more
Mark
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book knocked my friggin' socks off! It was stupendous! I feel that I am a reasonably generous reviewer and often hand out 4 stars to books I liked. But the coveted 5 star review I am a bit stingy with. This book earned all five stars without breaking a sweat.

The best thing about this book is that Mr. Tucker writes his characters doing the things that you want them to do. Often time authors create great characters and make big promises and then take hard left turns. In THE BLACK SHRIVING all
Bogdan
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In this new volume all the things have goten better! Almost every chapter ends with a cliffhanger and the stories of all the characters are, also, much more consistent and interesting than in the first one.

We also have a lot of new explanations and the story evolves in some darker places of land and space, but also, of the heart! We have a lot of smart dialogues, impressive lines, and an amazing depth to some of the characters quotes.

I could compare it to some of Abercrombie work, a bloody and
Jody
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoughts: The Black Shriving was a very good continuation of the Chronicles of the Black Gate series. The first half of the book was a bit slow for me, but the second half more than made up for it. Mr. Tucker maintains his skillful worldbuilding as new cities, cultures, and characters are introduced. The tension and intensity seems to have increased in this volume, and I expect that to continue throughout the series.

The story still follows the same 6 POV's, and they have all grown in their own
Esme
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s always difficult for me to do reviews for books that aren’t the first in the series. If you’re thinking about reading this one you’ve already read the first so you’re familiar with the characters and world building and writing style. If I reveal too much about the plot it gets spoilery.

I love that Audsley gets so much page time in this one, I love his character I definitely think he’s my favorite of the bunch. It might be his firecat that really has me won over.

We find out what’s up with As
Timothy Boyd
Jun 22, 2020 rated it liked it
nice 2nd book in this Fantasy series. Good story and a quick and entertaining read. Nice world setting. Recommended
Hanzel
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Does the end truly justify the means??? For this particular novel, what the major protagonists did seem to.......

Book two, WOW!!!! Another page turning book, pringles in book form once you start you can not stop, the second book introduces the forgotten practice of sin casting or the path of the flame, the magic system for this reality, lost when the Ascendant gain dominance, Mr. Tucker is truly in his element for this one, every bend of the corner surprises abound, I hope he still has some left
Calvin Park
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Black Shriving is epic fantasy in the vein of Eddings and Brooks, with some Tad Williams sprinkled on for seasoning. Phil Tucker isn’t content to simply tell an interesting tale with high stakes, however. He sets these empire-shattering stakes in the midst of a brilliantly crafted and amazingly unique world that feels familiar in all the right ways while simultaneously offering fresh ideas.

I absolutely adore the world that Tucker has envisioned in these books. There are familiar pieces, cer
T.L.
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A thoroughly enjoyable follow-up to The Path of Flames.

I really enjoyed the exploration of Starkadr and Audsley's chapters were still a delight even while becoming imbued with greater meaning and danger. I was glad to see Tiron get to do something other than scowl and glower and I am intrigued more and more by the Agerastians, the mysteries of the portals, and, of course, the rapidly disintegrating theory of Ascension.

Tharok's chapters felt uneven to me and this is, I think, partially due to hi
Joe Jackson
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tucker continues his broad and sweeping epic in resounding fashion. As should be the case in a sequel, we get broader stakes, tighter scrapes, deeper characters, and an expanding view.

Everything that was great about the first book continues in this one, but it wasn't without a few issues for me. Keep in mind, though, that I'm an extremely picky audience member, and I hold books to a lot of standards that most readers don't. The things I usually dislike in these sorts of stories are typically thi
Mark Romero
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it

Tough because the story has so much potential and I enjoyed this book more than the first. A lot more of the world was introduced and was described in better detail. And I'm still curious and eager to see how the story unfolds.

However, the story telling still lacks a bit of consistency and clarity. For me, its the misuse of multiple POV which is causing an unbalanced story. For example, Tharok is the only POV with his own unique plot. His character feels like its developing much better
Lisa
Apr 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-published
4,75

Man, this was such a fun read. Did not expect the slight horror elements but I loved every second of them. All characters stories were fascinating, although I have to say, that Thorak was at the beginning slightly less interesting to read about than for example Audsley who killed it this book, honestly. He really grew on me. His search for knowledge was exactly how I felt, I wanted to know and still do, what really happened at Starkadr and it's citizien (?).

In the end I am really looking
Ryan Mueller
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was nervous going into this one because I didn't think it could possibly be as good as The Path of Flames. As it turns out, it wasn't as good. It was better. The action was almost nonstop at times, and I loved the aspects of horror that worked their way into this one. There were also quite a few surprises when it came to character decisions and plot progression.

I also feel like Tucker improved as a writer between the first book and the second. Except for a few missed typos, the writing read ve
Lanko
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Surprisingly great.

The first book had a more low-fantasy setting, with magic only present at the very beginning and near the very end (and more subtly in Tharok's POV) but now the fantastical really steps up here.
Starkadr, the Hold, Agerastos, Tharok's journey... all presented some fantastic things but never forgetting to still make things matter to characters.

Ascension, Starkadr, demons and the whole thing going on behind it all seems something orchestrated by Sanderson in steroids. Really go
Krudant
Jul 31, 2016 rated it liked it
A good beginning, but the cameo starts flagging. I hope the author redeems himself on the 3rd book. There isn't much progress on the core narrative, and there is some stagnation on development of the characters. ...more
Vaelin
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This excellent tale just keeps rolling along nicely!

Book 3 will be read later this year!
Kevin Potter
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh, what a followup! If anything, I'm sorry it took me so long to continue this series!

As always, apart from a couple of odd pronunciations Noah Michael Levine gives us a fantastic performance! His character voices and skill in manipulating tempo and inflections are top notch.

There are so many awesome things going on in this book, I hardly know where to begin.

We aren't introduced to any new POV characters, giving us the opportunity to get to know our established characters that much better.

T
Ross Thompson
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The action continues straight on from where the Path of Flames left off. The story follows Tiron and Audsley's journey after they step through the mysterious portal, Asho and Kethe's journey into the mountains to investigate the second Black Gate, and Tharok's attempts to unite the kragh tribes and make an assault on the humans.
The story rarely dips in terms of excitement but does start to follow a number of different paths and take on different paces. While there is exciting action as Asho and
Trevor Sherman
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very good read with a pretty original magic system and world. I have been binge reading this series starting book one like 5 days ago and am half way through book 4 now. Will write up a full review soon for my blog https://thebloggoblin.com/ ...more
Julie Bird
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great, epic fantasy read!
Noha
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Vivek
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I liked this book better than the first. Rather than Asho, I found myself rooting for Audsley. Weyland finally does something other than what you expect "knightly" characters in books to do.
(view spoiler)

Though the stor
Lukasz
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've enjoyed Path of Flames a lot, so once I've finished it I bought second book and plunged myself into Tucker's world once again. Overall I was impressed with the book. I've enjoyed the writing, twists, Audsley, Tiron, Tharok, Iskra development. On the other hand I felt tired by Asho and Kethe POV's chapters that felt too much like YA novella. I have nothing against YA and I know they're young and still need to discovea a lot about the world and themselves but I can't help but say that I just ...more
Olivia
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm surging through these books like a black flame of Asho's blade wreaking vengeance upon the dragon demon and it is GLORIOUS!!

Once again Mr Tucker has done it! I enjoyed this book as much as I did the first.
Gardavson
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-romance
Excellent read, very exciting. Smart, well written. Excellent pacing. Didn't want to put it down. Wish the next in the series was out! ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Of Blood and Fire (The Bound and the Broken, #1)
  • Tongue Eater (Mage Errant #6)
  • Reaper (Cradle, #10)
  • System Finale (The System Apocalypse, #12)
  • Defiance of the Fall 4 (Defiance of the Fall #4)
  • Kingfall (The Kingfall Histories Book 1)
  • Ghost of the Shadowfort: The Bladeborn Saga, Book Two
  • A Warrior's Penance (The Castes and the OutCastes, #3)
  • The Song of the First Blade (The Bladeborn Saga, #1)
  • Defiance of the Fall 5 (Defiance of the Fall #5)
  • The Siege of Skyhold (Mage Errant #5)
  • Dwarf City (Dragon Heart, #14)
  • Dragonfall (The Kingfall Histories Book 2)
  • The Shadow King (The Raveling, #3)
  • A Warrior's Knowledge (The Castes and the OutCastes, #2)
  • A Warrior's Path (The Castes and the Outcastes, #1)
  • Chasmfall (The Weirkey Chronicles, #4)
  • Magefall (The Kingfall Histories Book 3)
See top shelves…

Thanks for visiting my page! I'm Phil Tucker, a Brazilian/Brit who currently resides in Asheville, NC, where I resist the siren call of the forests and mountains to sit inside and hammer away on my laptop.
THE CHRONICLES OF THE BLACK GATE

r/Fantasy 2016 Stabby Award Finalist
2016 #SPFBO Finalist
2016 Indie Spotlight - BestFantasyBooks.com

A war fueled by the dark powers of f

Chronicles of the Black Gate (5 books)
  • The Path of Flames (Chronicles of the Black Gate #1)
  • The Siege of Abythos (Chronicles of the Black Gate #3)
  • The Iron Circlet (Chronicles of the Black Gate #4)
  • The White Song (Chronicles of the Black Gate, #5)