Start by marking “The Chocolate Tin” as Want to Read:
The Chocolate Tin

The Chocolate Tin

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,262 ratings  ·  115 reviews
The highly anticipated, sensuous new blockbuster by the beloved, bestselling author of The Perfumer's Secret.

Alexandra Frobisher is a modern-thinking woman with hopes of a career in England's famous chocolate-making town of York. She has received several proposals of marriage, although none of them promises that elusive extra – love.

Matthew Britten-Jones is a man of charm
Published October 31st 2016 by Penguin Books Australia (first published 2016)

really liked it 4.00  ·

Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-books
I stored this novel away for a few weeks after I had the pleasure of meeting the author of The Chocolate Tin, Fiona McIntosh. My reason for not reading this book straight away was simple; I was saving it for a guaranteed perfect Christmas read. I’m so glad I did, as The Chocolate Tin was a deliciously indulgent and smooth story that combined all the elements I love in a good book. From love at first sight, to the uncertainty of the Great War, the art of chocolate making, a beautiful historical s ...more
Brenda
Alexandra Frobisher was frustrated by her mother’s constant harping on her lack of a husband – with the war on there was a small respite as the three men who had been chosen as prospective husbands were at the front. But Alex knew she didn’t have long – she shuddered at the thought. Alex’s greatest wish was to work in the Rowntree chocolate factory in her home town of York; to learn the craft and make it her career. But 1915 was a time when young women of means didn’t work – marrying well and su ...more
Dale Harcombe
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Alexandra Frobisher is fed up with her mother’s constant harping about her need to be married. The year is 1915, but as a modern thinking woman Alexandra wants a career, something that horrifies her mother. To date Alex has attempted to reject several suitors seeking her hand and then she meets Matthew Britten-Jones. He makes her laugh and is fun to be with. Dare she hope that with him she might be able to placate her mother and still pursue her own dreams?
Along with this story there is that of
Librariasaurus
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
It has surprised me immensely just how much I've enjoyed reading Fiona McIntosh for the first time. I really didn't think I would like her writing, but that was based purely on the types of customers I sell them to, older women generally.

I really loved Alex Frobisher as a character, she struck me as perhaps the original rebel belle. A woman of higher standing who wants more from her life than marriage for social advancement and a giant house and children.

Set in the English chocolate making regio
Paula Vince
I went to hear the author, Fiona MacIntosh talk about the writing of this novel at our local library just before Christmas, and bought a copy. I couldn't wait to get stuck into it. Sadly, I struggled to keep my interest level up enough to finish it, and I'll try to explain why.

In Britain, the Rowntree family organised a shipment of King's Chocolate tins as Christmas gifts for soldiers in the trenches to keep up their morale. Alexandra Frobisher and Matthew Britten-Jones have agreed on a marriage
Carolyn
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Chocolate Tin is exquisitely written for you by Fiona Mcintosh.

The Chocolate Tin is deliciously presented, filled with all your favourite goodies wrapped up in a bright, red festive ribbon just in time for Christmas!

It's historical fiction at its very best.

Set in England's famous chocolate town of York where a bright, young girl, Alex Frobisher has hopes and dreams of marrying the one she loves and embarking on a career, hopefully, in the chocolate-making industry.

It's romantic, realistic an
Rachael McDiarmid
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have a soft spot for Fiona McIntosh and I'm glad to see her writing like this again. She has a formula - and that formula works - but I think it got a little tired with her last book. As soon as I started THE CHOCOLATE TIN I knew she was in the zone. And I knew I'd love it. Historical fiction, tick. Wonderfully strong and independent women, tick. Romance, intrigue, tick tick tick. She goes down a slightly different path with this one but I was onto it early. And I liked the story and where she ...more
Kathryn
A bit soppy in some places, but I did enjoy the storyline. The over-sentimentality reminded me of another of Fiona McIntosh's - The Perfumer's Secret, although I think this one was better overall in that respect. And a more interesting and less predictable plot, in general, than that one.
Georgiana 1792
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hc
I just could't put it down. Oh, how I wish they make a film out of this book!
Jodi
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Set primarily in the English town of York during the first world war, The Chocolate Tin follows Alexandra Frosbisher, a strong-willed heroine with hopes of a career in chocolate making. Alexandra is constantly pressured by her parents, in particular her mother, to marry, which goes against everything Alexandra hopes to achieve. She then meets the charming Matthew Britten-Jones, who appears to be the most suited husband; one whom her parents approve, but one who will allow Alex the freedom of fol ...more
Anna
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a novel which surprised me to no end, mainly because before reading it I didn't think I'd enjoy the story that much, if not for it being work's book of the month I probably wouldn't have picked it up. The blurb didn't really excite me, and the prospect of reading another romance for work was borderline daunting. Despite this the mention of chocolate did spark my interest...how could it not!?

I was wrong. Very wrong.

The Chocolate Tin, though not perfect, made for a very entertaining read.
Joanne
Nov 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm being generous - probably 2.5 stars. We seem to have a recurring theme with Fiona McIntosh of characters falling madly in love and making major live changing decisions after knowing each other 1 day! This had moments that I really loved but in the end was like a better written Mills & Boon!
Janine
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable book by Fiona McIntosh where we learn something and want to visit the location.
Josephine-Anne Griffiths
I received a copy of ‘The Chocolate Tin’ as a present for my 60th birthday last February. Fiona McIntosh has always been a favourite author of mine. Ms McIntosh has produced another well researched and well-written story. The historical aspects are spot on, and I found the ‘Chocolate Story’ fascinating. The descriptions of the chocolate making process had me salivating. I’m guessing that the red satin ribbon on the front cover is meant to represent one similar to those adorning the chocolate tin ...more
Ellen Read
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed The Chocolate Tin. It was set in the beautiful English town of York during and following the Great War (WWI). The chocolate tin was a Christmas gift from the King to the troops in the trenches in 1915.
I loved the characters and could easily relate to them.
Alexandra Frobisher is a modern-thinking woman with hopes of a career in England's famous chocolate-making town. This isn't easily achieved because she is from a wealthy family and her parents won't allow her to work.
Mat
QBD  Books
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fiona McIntosh's riveting new novel, The Chocolate Tin, is a story about Alexandra Frobisher, a modern thinking woman who has the hopes and dreams to break free society's rigid ways, make a career in England's famous chocolate-making town of York and marry the one she loves. From the battlefields of northern France to her hometown of York, Alexandra finds herself riddled in a heartbreaking and beautiful story of love and loss.

With a unique blend of historical romance, intrigue and captivating
Rosie
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I saved this book to read on a short holiday. From beginning to end I was captivated by the plot and characters. So enjoyable. I hope that a sequel is in the wings!
Nicole
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Chocolate Tin is the latest novel by Australian author Fiona McIntosh. Told in the third person, it is the story of Alexandra Froshbisher as she strives to be an independent woman during the Great War in York, England. It is also the story of Captain Harry Blakeney as he attempts to discover the author of a love note found in a tin of Rowntree chocolate. Fate will bring these two together but also tear them apart in most unexpected ways.

Fiona’s research is evident in the intricate details o
Melissa
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, set in 1915, the story has a real emphasis on topics still inclusive of discussion in 2019.

I loved to read of an independent woman throughout the war era and the trials and tribulations of perception and places to fit in society.

How a women was to fight for respect and freedom but to marry before you were perceived as too old.

The love story and romance storyline was lovely and an easy enjoyable read. I loved the chocolate story line within the war period.

I found
Heidi
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
McIntosh has provided a comforting read, full of colour and emotion. Superb characters and settings, well researched and with some surprising plot twists. Very satisfying.
Niamh Griffin
Reading this was as much a guilty pleasure as is devouring a box of handmade chocolate. Although predictable I enjoyed the characters and their reactions as each secret bubbled to the surface.
Cassidy J.
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, historical

Hmm...this book was okay? Maybe it's just not really my style of historical...or romance...but I didn't really get anything from it. Really, there just wasn't enough of anything. Not enough romance, not enough intrigue or interest, not enough beautiful language/writing, not enough depth of characters, not enough painting the historical context/pulling the reader into the setting, not enough emotional investment - just NOT ENOUGH.
There has to be something about the book that makes me wa
Tamara
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**The Chocolate Tin - Fiona McIntosh** - 5 Stars

Another 5 star read. Fiona's books always take me to yet another part of the world I must visit. Due to a busy schedule saw the read of this novel take so much longer than traditionally. Pleasingly this allowed me to spend more time in York, London and learning more of chocolate making.

This read was all the more enjoyable having been to an author talk prior to reading the novel. Thank you Fiona for finding the time to spend with your devour readers
Nicole Field
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think I may have found a new favourite author. I often steer away from adult fiction because it's about marriage or kids or death, but that strangely doesn't hold as much for historical fiction. This book was about marriage, it was an incredibly complex story, of which marriage was only one part.

Fiona McIntosh successfully managed to evoke the world of 1915 through to 1920 in this amazing book about the Frobisher family, the parents wanting to hold onto the old ways of marriage between good fa
Jean Nicholson
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I read review of this book and ordered it from the library not realising it was a romance. not a genre I usually read. I didn't mind it but the ending was so contrived. I was losing patience with the book towards the end.
Angelique Simonsen
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
can't say I enjoyed this terribly much
Jill Marley
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's just after the first world war when Alex decides to marry Matthew. It's a marriage of convenience, as many well-to-do families settled on during that time, and although they grew fond of each other as friends. Matthew, however, continued his undercover, clandestine relationship with his lover, James.

The story unfolds in York, UK, and wraps itself around the Rowntree chocolate industry and Alex's ambition to open her own shops, making and selling exquisite chocolates. Marriage to Matthew en
Lisa
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Chocolate Tin is, let's say, not my usual read. If I had to categorize it I would say it is a Historical/romantic/drama fiction. And I tend to lean away from such historically based novels, mostly because I have a very limited amount of tolerance for what I personally believe was a stifling era for women. But this novel exceeded my expectations. I was enchanted from the get go with Alex and her modern (for 1915) thoughts and actions. I immensely enjoyed following her journey and the battles ...more
Dzintra aka Ingrid
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful read by Fiona McIntosh.....loved the historical detail!
Eleanor Whitwell
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
It wasn't too bad - interesting historical detail and an engaging story - but it was let down by unlikeable characters, overwrought dialogue, and a highly contrived ending.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Krampus and the Old, Dark Christmas: Roots and Rebirth of the Folkloric Devil
  • A Christmas Story: Behind the Scenes of a Holiday Classic
  • City of Secrets
  • Layered: Baking, Building, and Styling Spectacular Cakes
  • The Christmas Promise
  • The Cosy Christmas Teashop
  • Martha's Vineyard, Isle of Dreams (#2)
  • Of Sorrow and Such
Fiona writes best selling historical adventure-romance alongside the heroic-romantic, often brutal, fantasy she built her career upon. She lives in Australia but frequently roams the world meticulously researching the locations and gathering material for her historical novels that have international settings. Her books are published worldwide and in various languages.
Her most recent historical fi
“Here she was, watching the last few people clamber” 0 likes