Start by marking “The Fade Out” as Want to Read:
The Fade Out

The Fade Out

(The Fade Out #1-3)

The most ambitious project yet from the award-winning team of Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips, with acclaimed color artist Elizabeth Breitweiser Finally available in the gorgeous Deluxe edition their fans have come to expect!

An epic graphic novel of Hollywood in the early days of the Blacklist, THE FADE OUT tracks the murder of an up-and-coming starlet from studio backlots
Hardcover, Deluxe Edition, 400 pages
Published October 18th 2016 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Fade Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fade Out

Start your review of The Fade Out
Jayson
(A-) 81% | Very Good
Notes: Ode to inability, its woozy downbeat clamor: a grim and gaudy fever dream through lands of schmutz and glamour.
Anne
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it

If you don't already know, The Fade Out is Brubaker's (rather excellent) graphic novel about the seedy underbelly of Hollywood in the 1940s.

description

It takes the form of a murder mystery, but to be brutally honest, I wasn't all that impressed with the mystery aspect, especially the conclusion.

description

Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely recommend this to anyone who likes crime novels, particularly ones with noir settings. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's the way the characters and all of
Kemper
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Because of its format some might say that this is fantastic crime comic. Thats true, but Im going to take it a step further and say that its some of the best noir Ive ever read which Id rate right up there with the likes of James Cain or Jim Thompson.

Seriously, its that good.

Its got the ultimate noir setting of post-war Los Angeles, and the plot involves a screenwriter with a drinking problem knowing about the cover up of the murder of an actress that the studio fixer has made look like a
David Schaafsma
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gn-crime
Ed Brubaker is better because he digs deeper. This ambitious graphic novel I read in three separate volumes previously, three "acts" of a story now in one large gorgeous volume, illustrated perfectly by the amazing Sean Phillips, colored by the also amazing Elizabeth Breitweiser, with . Brubaker's uncle was a successful Hollywood screenwriter, and he heard all the cynical Hollywood backstories from him. He's also a noir comics and film fan, in addition to writing his own noir comics with ...more
Richard
Yet another masterpiece by the Ed Brubaker/Sean Phillips creative team. It might get a bit old now, all this praise I keep heaping on these guys. Like Criminal and Velvet before it, The Fade Out is an indelible piece of art not just in the comic book world but in crime fiction in general. Many crime writers have tried to recapture the feel of old "seedy-underbelly" Hollywood noir intrigue and this book does it with ease and without feeling forced and disingenuous like many others. Part of the ...more
Trudi
Kemper was right.

And those of you who know me will know how much it poisons me every time I have to say that. One of these days Im just going to turn to stone. Ah but seriously, for you noir lovers out there it really doesnt come any more smartly, authentically written than The Fade Out. This is a story that sizzles and understands at the heart of every noir tale is a fucking tragedy. This is a period piece and I lapped up the historical details like heavy cream. The characters are flawed just
James DeSantis
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fucking Brubaker and Sean have GOT to be one of the best duos of all time in comics. Knock it out the goddamn park int his one.

What's "The Fade Out"? Well you can all the descriptions but the meat of it is a actress is mysteriously murdered. However, the hollywood movie company who hired are is trying their darnest to cover it all up. In doing so we get to see how dark and twisted a big corporation can be, especially back int he day like this.

Charlie, our main hero here, wakes up in the same
Blindzider
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Another outstanding addition to this team's body of work. Like most of Brubaker's crime stories, you quickly become engrossed in the mystery and/or the characters. The story is slightly predictable and the ending may not be what most people are looking for, but for me, it's usually the journey that is the most enjoyable and the top quality all around that earns the stars for this book.

Phillips' art is once again outstanding. I think he's in danger of reaching this point where his work is always
Rincey
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics

See me talk about it briefly in my March wrap up: https://youtu.be/EFc_Zjs4IZs?t=3m17s
Aaron
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think this may be my favorite of Brubaker and Phillips' noir series, and that's really saying something. It's at least right up there with Sleeper and Criminal, my previous two favorites. And this time, like with Criminal, there's no additional genre element added in. It's just a straight-up character-driven noir loaded with atmosphere and darkness.

Maybe I love this so much because I've always been intrigued by the seedy underbelly of Old Hollywood, and this paints everything about that period
Craig
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The ultimate dark Hollywood noir from the team behind Sleeper, Incognito, Criminal, and Fatale. Brubaker and Sean Phillips are an amazing duo and I'd follow them just about anywhere. This is a dark tale of Hollywood corruption, set during the time of the blacklist and the ongoing search for Communist infiltration. Our main character is a writer, who's been struggling with writer's block since returning from the war, and acting as a front for his blacklisted friend and mentor. After a ...more
Jakub Kvíz
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I was really looking forward to rereading The Fade Out as this was my first Brubaker/Phillips book. And the best thing was that I couldn't remember the ending.

The story is set in 1948 in Hollywood. The WW2 is over and Red Scare is coming. A perfect setting for a murder mystery. I won't spoil a thing for you but this is a true masterpiece. I loved every bit of it and you can see the massive research behind this book.

If you are looking for a true noir story look no further.
Rituraj Kashyap
The murder of a starlet and her "screenwriter" friend's search for the truth

In this noir comic, the writer-artist duo of Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips delves into 1940s Hollywood and gifts the readers a murder mystery with excellent character development. Elizabeth Breitweiser must be praised for her beautiful colouring. I had come to know of her through Velvet and had been mesmerised by her work.

The book rewards the readers for their attention. If one looks closely enough, one will find that
Sam Julian
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Wow this was a lot darker than I expected. I mean, I expected a mature modern take on a noir but damn. This wasn't a fade-out, more like a hard cut to black.

The art is by far the best part of this piece. The colors are done in a gorgeous watercolor style that contrasts well with the deep black inks of the penmanship. The telltale evidence of digital postproduction irked me-- some pages had illustrations that varied in their default line width, betraying that the panels had been produced
Rod Brown
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book as I read it, but it did not deliver on all the potential and set-up it had, and the ending just fell flat. Great atmosphere goes far, but it cannot cover up a thin sketch of a plot.
Rory Wilding
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Given the many demons within the Hollywood studio system today and fortunately they are currently being confronted, it is shocking that many of those issues go back to the very inception of Hollywood movie-making. From the creative team of Fatale and Kill or be Killed, writer Ed Brubaker and artist Sean Philips tell a fictional story, set literally seventy years ago and shows us the seedy side of Hollywood during post-war America.

Working as a screenwriter suffering from posttraumatic stress
Daniel Sevitt
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-comic
Splashed for the deluxe one-volume edition and its a gorgeous object. The story is cobbled together from any number of noir tropes but it kind of holds together until the ending and it has some moments of excellence. Ultimately it suffers from noirs traditional trouble of style over substance but there was enough there to justify the fancy packaging. ...more
Dávid Novotný
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the most pleasant reads of this year. Great mix of murder mystery and noir detective story set in the 50' Hollywood, where hunt for communists was real. Every page I turned, I was doing so with anticipation of things to come. Hard to write anything else about it, you need to read it and feel it:)
Morgan
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this series in three volumes when they came out, but I suggest getting this type format to read it as a whole. With this comic book, it makes more sense.
Molly
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ed Brubaker writes damn fine noir. This one was still good, though something about the Red Scare/Old Hollywood angle put me off it a bit. Well, that and the (view spoiler)

Writing's still just as good as ever, though.
Don Witzel
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ed Brubaker delivers again in the Hollywood crime mystery . His development of characters and story is fantastic. Plus the research done regarding locations is spot on. If your into crime/noir is is a must. FUN....
Chaunceton Bird
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: noir-narcotics
Another solid story from one of the best teams in comics.
Andy
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comix-novel
A soapy pulper that struck me as more melodrama than noir. The seedier and seedier things got the more it reminded me of Harold Robbins rather than any kind of noir. Sean Phillips' fine artwork is a cross between Darwyn Cooke-retro and Wally Wood light and darkness and serves the story rather well. The Fade Out is more like The Bad and Beautiful than Kiss me Deadly. but that's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just not the great noir classic some people are calling it.
Kirsti
So hardboiled it's like a 20-minute egg. The main character is a blackout drunk, but that's the least of his problems. Good story, superb art and color artistry.
Camilo
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
this was probably, alongside The Sleeper, the best Brubaker i've read.
SuperSillySerra
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brubaker and Phillips have done it again!

Not only have they mange to put out a killer series, they also mange to confuse the heck outta me.
I loved the art. They always have the best art or colors in their books. Even the essays in the back are gorgeous (and only come in the issues, which i think they should make a book out of just the essays in the back, they are that good.) however, I always manage to butt heads with the writing. In kill or be killed, I didn't care for the constant jumping
Drown Hollum
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Beautiful, and crippling in its severity. The Fade Out is an incredible conspiracy/mystery book, with very little of the seemingly requisite action which makes thrill books fun. No, instead this is a contemplative, complex narrative of McCarthy-ism in L.A. and the many ways in which the lives of the rich and famous are ruined by capitalist machines. Justice is a goddamn fairy tale, and here, Brubaker and Phillips deal in unflinching realism.
Jeremy Wilson
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Brubaker is great but I often feel a little unfulfilled at the end of his stories. This is another example. I was hoping for more mystery and more of a pay-off at the end, this isn't the classic noir detective story I was hoping for. Which is fine and also not getting what I expected doesn't mean it's bad writing. I certainly enjoyed the journey.

Pretty dark, but interesting story focusing on the golden age of cinema, before twitter and before everyone saw through the thin veneer and studios
Janina
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Everything is not all glitz and glamour in Hollywood and in this story it rears its ugly head. It is scary to think but at the same time not at all unsurprising that extreme power is held by a select few.

The story switches back and forth between flashbacks and the present. It did give deeper insight with the whos, the whys and the hows but execution wasn't seamless and was a bit heavy-handed. What I do like is that none of the characters are Mary Sue 2.0; nobody was perfect, everybody had its
Kenny
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The perfect crime noir graphic novel. No one comes close.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Sentient
  • Little Bird: The Fight for Elder's Hope
  • Descender: The Deluxe Edition Volume 1
  • Scalped: The Deluxe Edition Book One
  • L'Enfer, le silence (Blacksad, #4)
  • Spider-Man: Life Story
  • Fear Agent: Final Edition, Volume 1
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central and Uncanny X-Men. In more recent years, he has focused solely on creator-owned titles

The Fade Out (3 books)