Jump to ratings and reviews

Seam Stalkers #1

The Shattered Seam

Spending spring break on an isolated island rumored to be haunted is not sixteen-year-old Sam’s idea of fun. Spending spring break with her uncle and his ghost-hunting film crew on an isolated island is even worse.

Way worse.

Her family’s secrets—and a genetic ability she can no longer deny—surface, along with the ghost of a rich serial killer who left behind a trail of trapped souls.

And he’s not through yet.

With only one chance for escape, Sam must embrace her family’s curse and close the Seam between the living and the dead. Or be lost, forever.

226 pages, Kindle Edition

5 books99 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 47 reviews
Profile Image for Maya.
858 reviews423 followers
September 24, 2016
ARC received in exchange for an honest review.

Super interesting, creepy and even fun!
I have to say that I went into this book completely blind. I just read the blurb and looked at the cover and was sold. Little did I know how much I'm going to like the story. It's just right up my alley, since it has mystery, action, an amazing journey and some romance. Also, this seemed to me like a super quick read because I've read it in one sitting and wanted to read the sequel immediately.

The story starts with Sam, a teen whos parents send her for her spring break to acompany her uncle, who what would you know is a ghost hunter with his filming crew. And Sam is not just an ordinary girl, she can see the supernatural, even tho she at first thinks she has halucinations, like her granny, her best friend who sadly passed away. On this 'cursed' island that they intend to spend their time on the cursed part unfortunately comes true and she kinda has to save her uncle and friends. And all I can say is that not all make it.

Sam is your normal but really not so normal teenager who just wants to spend her time somewhere warm and do teen things, like watch TV and listen to some good music. She is also you can say an outsider, since she thinks she's sich because she can obviously see things that no one should be able to. In the end that's exactly what might save her. She's smart but sometimes she can easily lose her head in all the confusion and strangeness that the island brings with it.

The other characters are interesting (kinda) but their main job and part in the plot is basically to do thir jobs. I wanted more from them but I don't know, I still liked the story as a whole. My favourite was definitely Kyle. He was a mistery from the start to the end and boy, when an end it was. I would have never guessed it! All the twists are perfect and the villain was really well done. Although I still don't quite know what happened to him (and the crow).

All in all, this is a fantastic book but I don't think it's for the squeamish. It's a horror story, so...blood will be spilled. ;)
Profile Image for Jennifer Y..
175 reviews33 followers
September 26, 2016
4 1/2 Stars
*I received a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.*

Ghosts, a creepy island, death, spookiness, and more…this first book in The Seam Series is chock-full of paranormal goodness.

The last place Sam wants to be spending her Spring Break is on a supposedly haunted island. But after her Nana’s recent death and with her parents off to Jamaica, that is exactly where she finds herself. Along with her ghost hunting uncle, his fellow TV crew, and some peculiar guests, skeptical Sam is stranded on Shadow Island filming an episode of her Uncle’s TV show, “Horrors and Hauntings” as they investigate the mansion of a supposed serial killer. They soon find more than they bargained for as events turn majorly creepy and Sam learns some interesting things about herself and her family.

As a fan of horror and the paranormal, I live for books like this one. There are a few predictable elements in the story, but I was truly fascinated from the very beginning when the crew arrived on the island and with each page I couldn’t wait to see what unnerving event lurked next for Sam and the others. And let’s just say there is plenty of horror awaiting this unusual bunch of fascinating characters. Through the author’s wonderful storytelling and vivid descriptions, I could easily picture each event as it unfolded…to the point that I was even a bit creeped out just reading it. That doesn’t always happen for me when reading horror/paranormal stories so I really enjoyed it.

And I loved getting to experience it all through Sam’s point of view because she is a fascinating character. A teenager dealing with grief and struggling with some very unusual abilities all while battling supernatural forces that she previously didn’t even believe existed, Sam handled everything much better than I would have. I probably would have drowned trying to escape the island after the first bump in the night…well, maybe, after the second bump…definitely after the third. Especially, surrounded by a crew with video cameras that is so eager to experience something paranormal, they explore dark, eerie places and ignore the fact that some serious injuries or bodily harm could occur.

So while some things were predictable for a ghost story especially given the author’s use of foreshadowing, the plot and characters managed to keep me interested and spooked throughout…right up until the pulse-pounding climax of the story. I look forward to reading the next book in the series to see what happens next for our ghost fighting characters.
Profile Image for Gypsy Madden.
Author 2 books26 followers
November 9, 2021
Teenager Samantha Drake is sent off to spend the weeklong vacation time with her uncle Eric who stars in a ghost hunting show with his couple of friends. They rent a boat to take them to a castle, supposedly haunted by a rich serial killer, on a remote island where they will stay for a week until the boat rental company comes back to pick them up. Samantha groans when she realizes there’s no cell phone coverage to the island. This time around, the ghost hunter group has invited a medium to join them. And the medium picks up almost immediately that there is something special about Samantha, that she is perhaps a medium herself, though she’s never been trained. Samantha, who says loudly that ghosts don’t exist, harbors a secret that she has hallucinations and sometimes talks to people who turn out to be not really there.

I loved the first half of this book! It was everything I wanted in a ghost hunter book! A relatable main heroine (though a bit immature at times who oddly seemed to keep worrying about peeing her pants), a ghost hunting group that wasn’t strictly clinical about everything and had personality and relationships and interaction between the characters rather than just there to set up equipment and see the ghosts as a job. And I loved that it fully fleshed out the place, from the eerie grounds with the odd statues, to the crystal chandelier in a ballroom that looked like it was out of a Disney movie, to the hedge maze in the back. I loved that it investigated the rooms with Uncle Eric giving us a guided tour of the haunted history. And I loved the scene with the ravens in the beginning! And I loved all of the eye rolling she did when Eric was being theatrical and talking for the camera. I kind of wished she’d interact more with the ghost hunting guys to flesh them out more. I mean, for being her crush of three years, she practically avoided Daniel and probably only said a sentence or two to Randall. The characters other than Sam and the dog felt a bit not fully fleshed out.

So, why didn’t I give this a full five stars? At about halfway, the book turns into being more imagery, and dreamlike, full of visions, I had trouble telling when Sam was hallucinating vs haunting, and it felt like the book lost having a foothold in reality. Almost like the entire thing was a dream. And because of that, the second half of the book didn’t feel real, like any of it was really happening, and not much of it made any sense with it being a mess of different images all happening together. The whole concept of seams felt hokey and too cut-and-dry especially with various people using that same term. And I had a hard time accepting the idea that Sam saw ghosts, like the little girl, and visions, and yet was still denying that she saw ghosts not just to people but in her own head where she was trying to make up excuses for why she saw this and that relatively late into the book. I did like the ending wrap up and liked that this story actually came to a close, and wouldn’t mind following the surviving characters on to another book, but from the description it sounds like the same demented, perverted ghost is back for another adventure and more delving into the hokey concept of seams, and it sounds like the ghost hunting doesn’t continue either, so I’m passing on continuing with the series.
Profile Image for Nay Denise.
1,518 reviews82 followers
October 16, 2016
Received a copy for review.

Oh my this was beautiful. I normally don't like to compare books and authors, but if you're a fan of The Diviners by Libba Bray than this is a must read! I was blown away by the characters and paranormal aspects. Definitely has a horror kind of feel which did freak me out every few pages, but it was so amazing that I couldn't stop reading.

Samantha (aka Sam) is sixteen years old and for her spring break she is staying on an island in a haunted castle with her Uncle and his crew. Sam has had hallucinations for a while and felt that going to the island wouldn't be good. Little did she know that she wasn't hallucinating, but rather that she was a medium. Sam was an awesome character. She played her age very well -- a scared and shocked non-believing teenager. She didn't believe in ghost and spirits, but as things started to happen on the island she began to open her eyes to everything. Sam is strong and smart. She may have started off weak, but she grew stronger when faced with danger. Loved her.

Marisol, the medium hired to go along, was powerful, but I couldn't help the fact that I felt like she was hiding too many secrets. Everything that happened between her, Brett, Daniel and Randall was heartwrenching. None of them deserved their fates. Eric is an awesome uncle. I feared for him, but thankfully he survived in the end. Learning that he too has some powers makes me excited. I hope he pops up in the sequel.

Kyle is sort of the love interest in this story. I thought he was an absolutely awesome guy. He was very helpful to Sam and just the whole flirting thing was cute. It wasn't until the end of the story that I was blown away by his character. Such amazing writing into his character. Same goes for Amelia. She was a sweet girl that definitely saved Sam's life with that picture she gave.

Stephen Novak is an insane man. I can't believe how many women he killed and how he only killed certain women with a certain resemblance to one he hated. He was sick. I did feel bad for him though because his reasoning, even though not told in depth, seemed extremely sad. I hope he is done for and doesn't come back in the sequel.

Overall, this was freaking amazing and I'm excited to read the sequel Silencing The Seam, and see what happens next for Sam and the paranormal. Kathleen Groger is phenomenal in her writing!
Profile Image for Rickie.
457 reviews1 follower
March 15, 2017
Do you feel the things that go bump in the night? Do you believe in restless spirits or evil intent by something no longer human. This story grabs you and doesn't let go. I have to admit that even I woke several time throughout the night after reading it. You say you don't believe? Fine! Read this story and you won't be singing the same tune. Even with so much tragedy throughout due to the evil personified by Novak, the story had a silver lining. What you say? Nope....that would spoil the story. Now I'm on to "Silencing the Seam". Kudos to Groger as I've not read her books before now, and this is a step away from my general reading material. Glad I did! Now to move onto "Silencing the Seam" which takes place in New Orleans.
Profile Image for donna.
899 reviews
April 25, 2017
Great read

Not quite what I expected & was thoroughly caught up in the story. It grabs you & doesn't let go. Follow Sam on her journey as she discovers that she's not crazy & really a medium!
Profile Image for Melissa.
Author 1 book7 followers
April 26, 2017
I don't know where I picked this book up but it was a great read. The story was fast-paced & took the character through her worst-case incidences.
Profile Image for Katherine Paschal.
2,124 reviews56 followers
September 29, 2016
Sam is being forced to spend her spring break with her uncle while he films an episode of his ghost hunter show. Sam is already treated as a freak by her classmates and this will not help in the slightest. The location they are going to is an island supposedly last owned by a serial killer, feared by the locals and thought to be cursed. They are the first people to be allowed to be there, so they have no idea what to expect. Along with her uncle Eric and his 2 friends/film crew, they are joined by an actor and his dog as well as a well known psychic who keeps focusing on Sam. This week has the potential for some danger, regardless of what Sam the skeptic thinks.

I knew the basics of the book when I started reading, like that it was a ghost show on a spooky island, but that was about it. This book was surprisingly good and incredibly scary. I flew through the pages because I wanted to know what would happen next, but at the same time I was terrified. I read this book in my normal reading spot of the gym, and as per usual, I was alone and it was dark so I could not see out the glass windows. Perfect recipe to be completely freaked out and paranoid from the book I was reading. This book is not for those who are squeamish because there were a lot of gory details and imagery as well as some awful deaths. This is the perfect Halloween read to keep the lights on for.

Sam was the main character and the book was narrated by her. She was a very interesting person, with huge doubts about herself. I liked how the author kept bringing up Sam’s insecurities about her mental health, worried that she was schizophrenic and having an episode instead of actually experiencing something supernatural. It made me doubt what she was seeing right along with her. I did at times find it a little off-putting that she would take time out of her creepy/crazy freak-out to check out the two attractive boy/men around. AS a side note, I don’ remember at 16 checking out boys butts as much as she does, but I guess whatever works. There were some pretty awful scenarios that she has to face in this story, many have life and death outcomes, which are more than any teen should face, but she steps in like a champ and refuses to back down. This book also reinforced for me that I am ever so glad to have a dog to help keep the paranormal at bay.

There were things that I was 100% convinced that I knew what would happen, just to get to the end and be wrong about, which was good for keeping me on my toes. I have never read anything by this author before but I really enjoyed her characters and plot, so I would love to read more in the future. When I got to the end of the book, it mentioned a second Seam book, and my answer is yes please- Can I have it now?

I received this title from the author in return for my honest review.
For more reviews visit my blog at http://smadasbooksmack.blogspot.com/
Profile Image for Chelsea.
318 reviews5 followers
November 30, 2016
I don't even know what to say right now. I don't know what I'm supposed to be feeling. I will say this, the horror level in this book was a resounding A+. It wasn't so bad that I was afraid to go to sleep, but it did creep me out enough that I did not want to be in my pitch-black room late at night, reading the story. *shivers*

I was very intrigued with Sam in the beginning. She walked a fine line between reality and hallucination/paranormal. She struggled to come to grips with what she was seeing and the fact that ghosts were REAL. She tried LONG AND HARD to deny any ties to the dead and paranormal world, but in the end, it was her one and only lifeline and saving grace.

Rant (Spoilers beyond this point):

What the fuckery even was that ending?!? Kyle should be dead, hands down. That dewey-dipshit literally FELL INTO HELL! I don't care what the explanation on "the Sean between life and death is what we make it, good or bad, and Sam just broke it cuz she's fly as Hell with them badass powers of hers" was implying. He. Was. Dead. End of discussion.

Did Daniel get to live even though he was a "love interest" for THREE DANG YEARS?? NO! But because Sam things Kyle's cute as HELL, he gets to live. Guess looks really are everything, because there's literally no other reason for Kyle to have found Sam, fallen so in love (?!) that he would risk his life (??) for her, and ultimately be rewarded with his life returned to him (?!) and they just live HEA (??). Is this actually what even happened? I honestly have NO IDEA where all that randomness was coming from. Can someone explain that ending to me? I don't care if this is a book on the paranormal— I WANT ANSWERS DAMNIT! Logical. Freaking. Answers!

And honestly though, where in the FRICK where their priorities this whole book? And I don't just mean Sam, who seemed more interested in kissing Kyle (I still dunno why) then LIVING! AND VICE VERSA!! I know you know what scenes I'm talking about. There was also Eric though—who, after having seen his friend's dead body and insisting on staying in the castle to "protect Sam," dragged her around the Castle to chase after MORE strange noises, essentially putting her life in even MORE unnecessary, pointless danger! CRIPES ALMIGHTY!! *throws book out the window*

End Rant

Ten outta ten would recommend to those who love a thrill and horror story. I was not aware that is what this would be (clearly I did not read the fine print), but that one aspect of this story was very captivating, even if I can no longer get the gruesome images from my poor mind.

Judging this book aside from the horror, however, the story seemed to be a bit disjointed and "shattered" itself. I struggled to make sense of A LOT of things, and overall the effort left me more than a little tired with it all. Read this if you dare.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Saida Sukman.
56 reviews5 followers
September 29, 2016
I never thought I would love this book so much, but I did. It feels like I was watching (reading) Criminal Minds, if CM has paranormal activities, and less police work/investigation. So, we all know not to go looking for ghosts, that's like looking for trouble but I guess no one sent these characters a memo.

Because of her parents anniversary trip to Jamaica, and her grandmother had already passed away, Sam had to spend spring break with her uncle and his TV crew, and two other guests on an isolated island to shoot an episode for her uncle's show, "Horrors and Hauntings" at a supposedly haunted castle. What's worse is that Sam could "see" things, and she thinks she's crazy because of it.

While some parts of the story is slightly predictable, most of it kept me guessing (and I love this book because of it). I didn't remember why I read this book with the mentality that everything/ everyone was going to be fine till the end, and I ended up so surprised and upset in the end. And I was thoroughly creeped out by this book. Since the beginning, I had this scared feeling while reading, the same feeling you'll feel when you're about to go into a haunted house, and then the feeling you get when you're inside said haunted house. I read this in the middle of the night, which probably contributed to the reason why I was so creeped out.

I fell in love with Sam's character throughout the book. One of the reasons is because she could draw. I love drawing, but my talent (or lack thereof) is nowhere near Sam's. She's a brave and strong character, another reason why I love her. If I was in her shoes, I will probably breakdown early on.

I had also came to love Eric, Daniel, and Randall. The way they are protective over Sam sometimes, and just how they act when it comes to Sam, I guess. It just makes my heart fluffy. I even came to like Brett, and Marisol. Although, I have to admit that at first I thought Marisol was a fraud. As for Kyle, well... I know I like him, but I can't say how much yet because he wasn't in it much. But I hope the second book has more of him.

To sum it up, this book has managed to pull me in, made me so interested that I read it all in one sitting. It hooked me, and became like a guessing game to me, making me so curious that I couldn't wait to get to the end to see if I was right. I love how Kathleen described some scenes—the description of some gruesome scenes was graphic, which efficiently freaked me out (so kudos to Kathleen). Or maybe, that's just me because it's easy to creep me out. This book made me laugh, made me scared, and made me sad. I think fans of The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater might enjoy this book too.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.
Profile Image for Dina.
40 reviews2 followers
February 22, 2019
An action-packed emotional rollercoaster

It took a while for the s*** to really hit the fan, but when it did, The Shattered Seam took me on an action-packed emotional rollercoaster, & I could not put it down. Would I recommend it? Yes. Will I be reading the sequel? Hell yes.
Profile Image for Nancy (The Avid Reader).
2,247 reviews94 followers
September 30, 2016
Its spring break and Sam has to spend it with her uncle and his film crew on an isolated island in a haunted house. She usually spends it at her Nana’s but her Nana passed away recently. Nana was her best friend someone she felt comfortable with. Sam has a hard time feeling comfortable and fitting in anywhere else.

Sam is dreading being alone with all these people in a haunted house and with the island being isolated not because she is afraid of ghost but because she is afraid her craziness will come out and she doesn’t want her uncle thinking she is crazy nor does she want the whole world to know if something happens and it is caught on film maybe she can get her uncle to edit the film if anything crazy happens that is.

Sam has secret ability that she knows nothing about. I mean she doesn’t know that it is an ability she thinks she is crazy as do her parents. Sam is afraid that being in a haunted house will cause her ability to come out and that is the last thing she wants. But with her uncle and his crew there to do their job to prove or disapprove that the house is truly haunted or not just may cause her ability to be known and they will think she is really crazy and lock her up again.

I don’t read too many books about haunted houses but I do love movies about ghost and haunted houses and I love reading Kathleen Groger’s books and when I read the summary or maybe even before I knew I had to read The Shattered Seam. I was not disappointed in anyway. I would like to suggest The Shattered Seam to anyone who loves a good story written by a great writer. I can’t wait to start the next book The Silencing Seam. I can’t wait to find out more about Kyle and Sam. What will their next adventure (or haunting) be?
Profile Image for Amie's Book Reviews.
1,493 reviews160 followers
September 27, 2016
This book has all the elements required to tell a creepy tale. A teenager who believes she is sick because she seems to see things that others can’t see, a super-creepy locale, familial secrets, and lots of mystery.

Sam is sixteen years old and is spending Spring Break with her Uncle who films his ghost-hunting activities. She has absolutely zero interest in spending her vacation with her Uncle, and who can blame her. She is sixteen after-all and would rather spend time with kids her own age.

I do not want to give way too much of the story, but suffice it to say that this series debut will have young adult readers on the edge of their seats. At only 206 pages, it is a quick read which I believe appeals to the younger teen readers.

My only criticism is that I would have liked a bit more character development, but since this is the first book in a series, I am sure that readers will learn more and more about Sam as the series continues.

I rate THE SHATTERED SEAM as 4 out of 5 stars.
Profile Image for Emmyjo.
393 reviews8 followers
September 30, 2016
This book is amazing, I love this book.
Really looking forward to reading book # 2.
Sam has to spend her spring break with her Uncle Eric on a haunted island and castle because her parents spending their anniversary elsewhere.
Now Sam isn't looking forward to spending all week there with her Uncle and his two best friends while they film their ghost hunting show.
Especially when she's trying to make everyone including herself believe she is normal. For Sam see's things that others can't. But trying to stay normal on this island is much harder then she ever thought it would be. Soon things start happening in the castle that she doesn't know if it's real or not.
Sam must come to terms with her family's secret that she's not just cursed but has the ability to help others. Can she save herself from a haunted serial killer and other dark spirits and her friends before the week is up?
Now even though this book is young adult it is a paranormal horror book. So beware it does have some crazy stuff that happens. But so amazing at least in my opinion.
Profile Image for Karen Hogan.
72 reviews
February 9, 2019
Couldn't stop reading

Wow !! Not usually my genre but was the recommendations on Facebook and got it on kindle unlimited.
I really liked the characters and just really didn't know where this was going. Kept me up all night. Thanks to the author.
Profile Image for Kel (Faerie-bookworm).
773 reviews65 followers
Format: Ebook
Pages: 206
Rating: 4
Heat: 1

Thoughts: Want a book full of surprises then this is the one! Sam is one of the bravest characters I've read in a while. She's only sixteen yet with everything thrown at her she keeps going. At times it was like watching a horror movie with the "don't go in there" or "I wouldn't follow them if I were you" moments. I'd roll my eyes at the stupidity but I couldn't seem to tear my eyes from the page. It's weird, I can read books like this but for some reason I can't watch movies like this without freaking out lol. It probably has something to do with the visuals or something, who knows. Anyway, if you can get your hands on a copy don't hesitate to start reading, you won't regret it... or you will bwahahaha!

Please note that I received a complimentary copy of this work and chose to write a review.
Profile Image for Damian Southam.
242 reviews2 followers
November 18, 2016
Grieving from the loss of her closest confidante, the beloved nana she'll never get to share any secrets with again, sixteen year old Samantha Drake didn't strive to be special; Sam would be happy with just normal. If only someone would tell her that being normal was overrated and all that remains after the exceptional is chipped away by normal. In the exceptional is where true inspiration exists and where one can truly make their mark. Normal is quickly forgotten: but it was this exact mechanism that 'death girl' was after. Of course there's some 'exceptional' that truly should not be what one sets out to achieve; regardless, it is still rarely forgotten, such as Stephen Novak. Somehow its possible to see that the coming week's exceptional was going to be the latter in lieu of the former.

Spending a week of spring break with her uncle Eric's Horrors & Hauntings film crew on the deserted Shadow Island, documenting ghosts at the heart of the rumoured most haunted place in America, was not Sam's ideal of being lucky; despite what uncle Eric would have her feel. The only real consolation which uncle Eric could never be made aware of, is the way his cameraman Daniel's ass seemed to suit his jeans really well (blush). Her three year long crush could only be furthered. Sam had no difficulties with a ten year gap, but was pretty sure everyone else would, including the target of those wonderings. Surely there'd been a spate of recent sightings on somewhere like Cancun, or any of the other thousands of islands around the world where rumours of the paranormal exist. Having access to the castle and island for the first time since it's marred history couldn't possibly mean its safe.

Having any kind of mental breakdown on film though, was a surefire way to get a oneway ticket to another assessment by her shrink, and so Sam must keep her instincts zippered up as tight as her lips. How anyone could think a trip to film what doesn't really exist was a good idea for her holidays, given she'd only just hit the five month mark without seeing any 'imaginary things', escaped her understanding. Her father was never around and her mother just flatout assumed that her daughter was acting out for attention. Nevermind the constant badgering at school, like any teenage girl would be seeking that too. As if her father's occupation as a senior forensic pathologist (hence her nickname 'death girl') wasn't enough stigma for her to bare, she had to go out and get herself committed (sarcasm intended).

Certainly the opinions of a professional ghost hunting crew left a little, well a lot, to be desired. These were the self same people who thought spending a week at Defiance Castle was good for ratings, when it took paying triple the going rate to even find a boat captain to drop them off and pick them up. Even then he was the last person they tried after half a day of refusals; and he refused to get off his boat, quoting death and coma victims not more than a few months ago. His dire warning that when, not if, but when they rang for an early pickup he'd further triple his rate, still only spurred them on. Although yet to know it, Sam would need to use a message slipped to her by another 'imaginary girl' before she departed for the island. The young girl's message that she'd need it once 'he' came looking for her was enough to set off another spate of goosebumps.

Was it just Sam, or was anyone else from their intrepid crew getting a bad feeling about this? Not the kind when you've picked out a boring book to read, more so the none-of-us-are-getting-off-the-island kind. Before ever they even step a single foot on the island or inside it's demented castle, a final omen gets spectacularly delivered. The "bird-nado" of black 'leaves' that blanketed out the sun after taking off from dead trees, either attacked or attempted to warn them. Their uncanny similarities to ravens, the portents of death's message, further exacerbating the chilly climate. And yet still the mature adults were determined to ignore everyone else's wisdom. Was success in tv ratings worth any of their lives, and why was the only non-adult member of the crew the only one asking the sensible questions. If not for her tainted history then surely Sam would have been able to voice more of them.

Outstanding delivery and chilling imagery flavour the pages of The Shattered Seam. What people in groups are prepared to put themselves through in order to save face paints a picture of lunacy. The film crew overrides common sense with awe and ratings. A girl who's been convinced by those who should've had faith in her ability that she has a history of seeing imaginary things and schizophrenia, is the only participant with any logical rite of continuance once all the cards are on the table. Her shrink worthy delusions might just be the only potential mechanism to save some of them. At some point in life for people with stigmatised gifts, their don't cry wolf tends to be overlooked. Too quickly are people to jump to conclusions that if you cannot touch or see it then its not really there. People accept quite readily that eyes can be short- or far-sighted, colour blind or different colours, but yet its unfathomable that those same different-eyes might ge able to see what others can't. The stories a haunting tale of places betwixt and unseen, both literal and metaphoric.

Tension and excitement are supreme for some, whilst dread replaces the latter for others. Its the fight or flight response within a conditioned vacuum. Common sense can easily be replaced by not-so-common sense if the motivations are big enough. Too quickly is the unexplained linked to the explained in a causal tendency gone wrong in people's thinking. Too quickly does society rely on scientific method when it comes to truth, fact and fiction; especially given that the historic principles of scientific research was designed to rule out what we know is wrong, so that steps can move closer to what might be right. Causation and effect readily replace correlation and hypotheses so that science has become about proof of what we know. So much for the proverb to the effect that once we rule out all we know to be incorrect, what ever remains, however improbable, is likely to be correct. Just because we don't have the necessary tools to identify the unknown it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There's thousands times more things unknown than there is known. Once upon a time it was fact that all swans were pink, or that the world was flat. Regardless what ever the visitors might have thought before getting to the island, the stunningly long final confrontations go on and on for miles. Whomever is left will be forced to believe the Seam doth truly exist!
20 reviews
April 1, 2022
Ugh

I so wish I hadn't bothered. I know it's YA, but it was soooooo overdone and cliche. I really wanted to like it, but by the end I was skimming just to get past all the drivel being thrown at me. It was ridiculous! One of your crew dies? Better get on with the show. Ooh, let's split up. How many paranormal events can we pack into a chapter? Dead family member saving the day with the most overused dialog ever? Yes please! And it just kept going like that. Don't forget a nice romantic ending after more than half the people in the book are now dead.
Profile Image for Sharon Smith.
451 reviews25 followers
November 25, 2017
This book was okay for a free read. It had a pretty decent plot- basic horror movie, trapped on an island, seeing murderous ghosts version of scary. There was a lot of action, pretty much non-stop- and not enough world building. Sam is a medium but in denial for the entire book- she gets a bit old as a main character. I would have liked to see her evolve more. Some more time spent with other characters would have made it less shallow.
Profile Image for Lynette Burrows.
Author 4 books24 followers
June 9, 2018
A compelling and entertaining story about a young woman with talents she doesn't know she has. Book one of a series, it does not disappoint. There's a satisfying ending with hints of more to come. You'll want to follow Sam through all of her adventures.
Profile Image for Keith Wilson.
62 reviews
June 21, 2019
A Page Burner - Grab Some Salve And Hang On

And don't forget to set your alarm to remind you to stop reading and then to go to your day job. Or call in sick and grab the next book in this amazing paranormal series. Sleep is for non-readers.
24 reviews
February 6, 2020
This was on of the most “everything but the kitchen sink” books ever. Everything that could happen did from the spooky castle isolated on an island , to the satanic builder demon, to every horror story plot ever devised just cut and pasted. Worst book ever
Profile Image for Mimi Davis Hopkins.
674 reviews3 followers
April 15, 2020
Makes YOU Want To SCREAM

This is absolutely one of the Best Ghost stories I have read, and ghost stories are my thing. Yes the place is hunted. Great Read,with great characters and dialog that makes the reader believe ghost are real!!!
Profile Image for Lottie.
702 reviews3 followers
March 24, 2021
This was a great book and I really enjoyed reading it. It was full of suspense and mystery. Parts of it was very sad, an emotional roller coaster!
4 reviews
July 8, 2022
The first book was better. This one just didn't flow for me
Profile Image for Have Coffee Need Books.
608 reviews44 followers
April 10, 2019
Trippy.

One of my favorite books is the Haunting of Hill House. Shirley Jackson’s book raises the question to the reader of reality versus perception. It’s considered a horror story but at the crux of it it’s a psychological thriller. A true terror story. What could possibly be scarier than one’s mind being the true monster. Kathleen Groger dangles the same unsettling conundrum before her main character, Sam. What is more lovely is that she then offers us the same threads to hang ourselves with because this is quite possibly one of the funnest psychological thrillers I’ve read in sometime.

Sixteen year old Sam is suffering through a school holiday with her wacky uncle Eric who is a ghost hunter. He and his team have the opportunity to explore creepy Defiance Castle on the ominous Shadow Island, a paranormal location that is reported to be one of the most darkly haunted spots in America. The terrible history of the castle is owed to it’s more terrifying creator, a serial killer and maniac who tortured his way into the hearts of eager paranormal investigators. Sam’s aghast at her uncle’s enthusiasm in a junk science that scams frightened masses into misguided believers. Worse yet, she doesn’t want the people from her school assuming she is part of the circus sideshow even if the rewards would be to her benefit. There are higher stakes at risk for her to entertain his ideas, and being popular isn’t really that important to her.

I love books that can draw you into the anxiety and confusion of the characters. It takes talent to convey the sense of urgency and bafflement of someone in crisis and Kathleen Groger handles it effortlessly. The pace is addicting; you fly through the chapters of this page turner. Sam’s racing heart becomes your own. And her nightmarish experience gave me an equally alien sense of reality drawing me further into her character. The author’s handling of surreality is masterful.

Technically The Shattered Seam is in the Horror genre but the story itself is a frightening coming of age tale. Sam isn’t just a heroine who is witnessing the unspeakable. She is a young girl learning about family secrets, forcing her to question the bonds of relationships, and trying to accept what it is she is finding about who she is. And the girl is growing up in the span of a couple days and embracing her fears because she knows they are the only way to save herself.

And for some reason I was picking up some American Horror Story vibes. If you like the TV show, I recommend this book; there is a James Marsh, Violet, Kyle, Misty Day meets Billie Dean Howard, Will Drake, and a Murder House.

Why haven’t you one clicked yet!?

Recommendations:
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson Nevermore (Nevermore, #1) by Kelly Creagh One Was Lost by Natalie D. Richards

Profile Image for Julia Handley.
413 reviews8 followers
December 12, 2016
Holy Demon Hell Fire!!!!!

Sam is 16 years old and thinks she is going crazy. Until she goes with her Uncle and his crew to a haunted Island, then everything comes to light on who she really is.

My god this book kept me enthralled the whole time.  My heart was beating so fast as if I was experiencing everything Sam was. Trying to hide things from her Uncle and the rest was hard but she thought is was safer for her. But as time went on and things start happening more she has to face it. Everyone else in the crew that was involved with the investigation of the haunting, was experiencing or witnessing things themselves.  But they wasn't a 16 year old confused girl who didn't have a choice about being there. But then they never expected what was going to happen themselves. And Kyle oh my!!! How he was caught up in all this? Little Amelia? Everyone in this book was exciting to read about and the story grew.

Mystery, horror, friendship, truth and a bit of humour. This book had a mixture of everything.  I couldn't help but let a piece of these people in my heart. I cried and laughed and was nail biting on the edge of my seat on what was going to happen.

I LOVED! LOVED! LOVED! this book.

Can't wait for the next book to see what Sam does next.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book.
Profile Image for Penny.
2,048 reviews38 followers
December 4, 2016
I am not much into YA fiction, but the description for this title intrigued me enough to want to give it a try. I'm happy to report it did not disappoint! Sam is taking a trip with her uncle while he is filming an episode on an island with a haunted house for his show about ghosts. While she helps him, she starts seeing things and Sam thinks she's starting to lose her mind, again. What is really happening is even worse than she can possibly imagine. I have to say first that the descriptions, characters, and situations were so very vivid, I was immediately drawn into to the story and had a very hard time putting the book down. Everything and everyone just came alive, and even the scary bits were very scary. Speaking of scary, the story line was wonderfully atmospheric, creepy, and of course scary, with a little bit of horror thrown into the mix. I wish a little more had been said about Sam's history with seeing things. I would have liked to known more, but it was in no way a detriment to the book. If you like a little bit of horror and a little mystery all mixed together, you will love this book. All-in-all, this was a terrific book and I'm happy to see there is going to be another one, which I will definitely pick up! Highly recommend!

Thanks to the author for the e-book which I read voluntarily. This exact review will be posted on both Amazon and Goodreads.
99 reviews
December 6, 2016
I loved it! I couldn't put it down!! You can't say no to a book that has a plot line based on a Ghost Hunters-like show called 'Horrors & Hauntings', which is created by Sam's uncle, Eric, and his closest friends.

Sam's Nana passed away unexpectedly, leaving her parents no option but to have Sam spend her Spring Break on a haunted island, watching the crew hunt for ghosts in a supposedly-haunted castle. But Sam's biggest fear is to be filmed looking like a freak. See, Sam has been seeing things all her life. She's even been hospitalized for it as her mother refuses to accept that what Sam has seen is real.

I'm not into writing complete spoilers, but this book has ALL of the qualities of a magnificently written ghost-hunting story. The description of the castle and its back story is enough to PUT you in the castle itself. Then there is possession, demons, serial killing madmen, ghost who reach out to help, and finding out she has the powers of a set strong Medium. She's just like her Nana, whom everyone said was schizophrenic.

Read this book and see what happens when a teenage girl is forced to come to grips with a startling reality, and find out if she has what it takes to save those she cares about.
Profile Image for Emily Pennington.
15.6k reviews187 followers
December 7, 2016
While most school students tried to be something different and noticeable, Sam struggled to just be normal. Now she was on her way to a “haunted” castle with Uncle Eric and a film crew to document whether the ghosts were real. But for Sam, it wasn’t a relaxing Spring break. She was afraid that her strange imaginings and crazy actions, seeing stuff that wasn’t real, would start up again and this time could be caught on camera!

No one wanted to rent them a charter boat to get to the island. They finally found Captain Frank who was willing to drop them off and pick them up. But he refused to set foot on the unholy ground! Much to Sam’s surprise, she saw Amelia in the shack. She had met Amelia earlier and gave her a drawing she had done. Amelia now gave one back to Sam that she would need later?

Sam is feeling apprehensive about the whole thing. But the adults plow ahead, accepting the strangeness. The tension builds as the danger escalates! Will everyone make it out alive?

This was a good book, building in intensity and keeping the suspense high. I highly recommend it! I was given a free copy of this book and voluntarily chose to review it. My comments reflect my honest opinion
Displaying 1 - 30 of 47 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.