Start by marking “Take Me With You” as Want to Read:

Take Me With You

Carlos Frías, an award-winning journalist and the American-born son of Cuban exiles, grew up hearing about his parents' homeland only in parables. Their Cuba, the one they left behind four decades ago, was ethereal. It existed, for him, only in their anecdotes, and in the family that remained in Cuba -- merely ghosts on the other end of a telephone.

Until Fidel Castro fell ill.

Sent to Cuba by hisill.

Senttelephone.

Until
Published November 18th 2008 by Atria (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Take Me With You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take Me With You

Start your review of Take Me With You
Sharon Bressen
Nov 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
By Carlos Frias

While attending the St. Petersburg Times Festival of Reading at USF, St. Petersburg, FL this October, I found Carlos FrÃas reading from his book “Take Me With You”. In the audience were his wife, Christy and three charming daughters Elise, Amelia and Catalina. His words caught my attention and I purchased his book.

This is a poignant story of a journalist of Cuban heritage, who travels to Cuba on assignment by The Palm Beach Post to rep
Carmen Amato
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My basis of understanding Cuba comes from a grad school friend whose parents fled Castro's revolution, leaving behind everything. The mother, who was pregnant at the time, never really got over what had happened and her later years were full of emotional pain. So it was with this family in mind that I picked up the book during a memoir phase and it turned out to be one of the best contemporary memoirs I have read.

A Miami-based journalist, Frías recounts his own 2006 trip to Cuba to c
Judy
Feb 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Carlos Frias is a journalist in South Florida. Born in the United States, his parents, aunts, and uncles are emigrated from Cuba after Castro took over. So Cuba, for him, was a land of stories, fables, and dreams. When Castro took ill, Frias was sent by his newspaper to the island for 12 days. During the trip, Frias was overcome by emotion as he met for the first time, people who were important to his family. My prayer is that he and his parents are able to freely visit Cuba i ...more
Vilo
Sep 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Carlos Frias writes about visiting Cuba just as Castro got ill. Two things his passport did not reveal. 1) He was a journalist. 2) His parents were Cuban refugees. This is an inside look at life in Cuba now and 50 years ago. The power and self discovery of gathering your family's history is evident. Also interesting is his contrasting his moral code with that of his father's generation.
Pat
Feb 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
A great true story about growing up in Cuba. Sad, funny, and an insight into how Cuba still is since the 60's.
Amy Miller
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bio
What a beautiful book. By the time I crashed into the last few chapters, I was weeping along with Carlos and his family.
Leslie Poulos
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fascinating look at Cuba and the effect of the Revolution on one family.
Carol Bakker
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Carlos Eire (Waiting for Snow in Havana) placed Cuba on my map and in my heart. Carlos Frías tamped it securely there. Both stories, roughly forty years apart, linger in my thoughts.

When Frías, an American born to Cuban emigrants, is sent to Cuba as a journalist, he goes in order to meet aunts, uncles and cousins and learn more about his parents' childhood. Shot through this memoir are yearning, delight, regrets, grief and hunger for wholeness.
So many pieces of my family puzzle are fitting together to form a rich
(Waiting
Pamela Mansfield-loomis
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I accidentally got this book instead of another by the same title when I ordered it from the library. It was a happy accident as I learned so much more about Cuba than I thought I knew. It's a personal account of how people live there now, and how difficult it is for families to stay connected although just 90 miles apart. An interesting look into a personal situation with characters that come to life on the page.
el_quijote
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Carlos Frias is a Cuban-American living in South Florida. He is the son of Cuban émigrés that left Cuba in the years after Fidel Castro took power in 1959. Carlos was born in America and only knows Cuba from the memories that his extended family have told him over the years.

Mr. Frias works as a sportswriter for a Florida newspaper and when Fidel Castro falls ill in 2006 the paper sends him to Cuba to report what he can. “Take Me With You” is the personal story of what the young Mr. Frias finds
Bonnie
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible book! If you have even a passing interest in what life is like in Cuba today, read this book. Carlos Frias goes to from Miama to Cuba (via Cancun) to visit the families of his Cuban-refugee parents. He is an undercover journalist taking notes and pictures and interviewing family members in and around Havana. In the US, we hear about the free medical care in Cuba, but what we don't hear is that people must take their own sheets and gowns if they want clean ones at the hospital. ...more
Sheila Friedman
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this memoir. Frias takes you off the tourist's "yellow brick road" and into the heart of a very broken nation. Of all the books I have read since returning from Cuba, this one opened the curtain the most onto a stage in which absolutely nothing is as it seems. He describes what goes on in Cuban households on a daily basis. It is incredibly sad to know what these poor people must endure just to survive. I highly recommend this if you want to try to understand the current ...more
Mafemrb
Mar 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Carlos Frias definitely took me to the more poignant and emotional Cuba with this book. I liked it because his writing focused on human interest stories, very personal and real, without the usual political commentary that is so common in most of the books that I've read about Cuba.
Edithandersen
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Chose this book as a quick summer read. It was better than that. Unexpected relationship of two boys with a stranger who happens to stop at their father's service station for repairs. I give it a 3.5.
Patricia Sanders
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful memoir about a Cuban American man that reconnects with his family's cuban roots. This takes us inside the real Cuba and also shows us the importance of family. A beautiful story to treasure.
Sep 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
The author brought you along on his first trip to Cuba, the country of his family. Current day and the author lives in Miami.
Bob Schuemann
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great read after my recent trip to Cuba
Jon
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Carlos is a good writer and he had a compelling story to tell. Read it.
Jocelyn
Jun 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history, politics, culture
Focuses mostly on the author's family living in Cuba. Also provides insight into the current state of Cuba, much of which is poor and rundown.
Hugh
Dec 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
A good look at daily life in Cuba. Would have been nice if something happened somewhere in the book. Anything, really
Odalys
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
It took me some time to get into it..... but towards the middle I was crying like a baby. Very good!!!!
Elizabeth
Jan 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Waiting for Snow in Havana: Confessions of a Cuban Boy
  • Play It Away: A Workaholic's Cure for Anxiety
  • How to Raise an Adult: Break Free of the Overparenting Trap and Prepare Your Kid for Success
  • Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer
  • Atlas Shrugged
  • Please Don´t Come Back From The Moon
  • The Longevity Solution: Rediscovering Centuries-Old Secrets to a Healthy, Long Life
  • Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things
  • Take and Read: Spiritual Reading (An Annotated List)