Start by marking “Magnus at the Fire” as Want to Read:
Magnus at the Fire

Magnus at the Fire

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Magnus lives and works at the Broadway Firehouse. He knows that when the fire alarm clangs, he and his partners, Billy and Sparks, are supposed to spring into action. Without them the firemen would never be able to move the gigantic steam pumper. And without a pumper the crew wouldn't be able to put out fires.
Then one day the captain drives into the firehouse on a loud,
Published May 1st 2005 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published April 26th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Magnus at the Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magnus at the Fire

Jun 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horsies
Who doesn't love a little history and horses? :) A wonderful story about a fire horse named Magnus who isn't too pleased when he finds himself put out to pasture and replaced by a motorized fire engine.

Stunningly beautiful illustrations done with oil paint make this a very visually appealing story! Lovely note to the reader at the end about the use of horses in firefighting back in the 1800s.
Jan 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book explores a piece of history that many children will be unfamiliar with. Before there were modern firetrucks, the engines were pulled by horses. This is the story of a fire horse who is being replaced by an automated truck. The illustrations are beautiful and this will be a hit with boys, and all those who are fascinated by firefighters. However, since this is a longer picture book I don't think it would work well for storytime.
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Good story. Great bold illustrations and beautiful horses!
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is really a nice piece of work. The illustrations are just fantastic, and what a story! It is exciting, it's emotional, and it's educational. My niece and nephew were so quiet while we read this story (that's *very* rare) that you could have heard a pin drop. I was really surprised that Magnus at the Fire held their interest so completely, because the story is fairly long for a picture book. It's just action packed, and full of ups and downs, and the kids were just glued to it.

As for
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
the paintings! wow! I picked this up at the library because I thought Miles might enjoy a story involving fire fighting before there were self-propelled fire engines. He really loved it, the part about fire fighting and the horses! Magnus isnt' needed to pull the steam powered pump anymore after the fire station buys a fancy new fire engine. But he can't stop him self from responding to the call of duty whenever the fire bell rings. I appreciated the writing style as not at all dumbed down, whil ...more
Kerry Johnson
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My boys aren't really into horses, but this book caught my eye at the library. It's a sweet, exciting story, and the artwork is gorgeous. Magnus is quite magnificent. :)

I loved learning about the fire horses and how they lived at the fire houses, 100 plus years ago, then were eventually fazed out due to the invention of steam locomotives.

A fascinating look at history and animals for ages 5-10.
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-25-stars
4.25 Stars A really cool story about a fire horse and the transition from Horse Drawn Fire Wagon to Engine.

The illustrations are great! I also like the authors note in the back.
It said NYC Fire department in 1910 that a team of horses cost $660 but an engine cost $85 a year.

Interesting story of days gone by!
Lauren Brown
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
A beautiful book with magnificent illustrations that make the book what it is. A wonderful story about a firehorse who is put out of work due to the upcoming technology of fire trucks and how reliable the horse really is in comparison. Again, the illustrations are a must-see and the book would be a fantastic introduction to the industrial age.
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
My five-year-old son wanted red books when he went to the library last week, so he picked out this one.

Holy Cow -- What a gorgeous book! The text was a bit long and advanced for my little boy, but the illustrations were staggeringly gorgeous and majestic. We'll have to check this book out again in a year or so.
Amber Cooper
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
The illustrations in this book are incredible! Great color and painting! Very life-like! The story was also very adventurous. Overall theme of (bravery, and the era of new technologies). Surely children in elementary will love the story of Magnus at the Broadway Firehouse! Text: (3rd grade level)
Sep 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books-jp
A stirring tale of historical fiction recalling the days when horses pulled the fire engines - my father (who would have been in his eighties now) used to tell me he remembered the day when the horses left the fire station and they brought in the trucks. Interesting then, interesting now.
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read, horses and history. Powerful illustrations.
Andrea Labonte
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juv
Good Book.
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
What an amazing kids book! I loved reading it and I think the storyline is very creative. I have never seen a book on this subject before.
Sep 28, 2008 rated it liked it
A lot of text, but really nice illustrations and I love the history of the horses pulling the fire engine. Great for girls that love horses or boys who love fire trucks.
Claudia Bell
This is a wonderful horse book about a faithful horse working at a fire house. Great book for boys who love horses!
Apr 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Grade 1-4 SLJ/ Ages 5-8 BK

Story of how horses used to pull fire trucks until the motorized fire truck was invented. educational non-fiction note at the end. Vibrant/ great illustrations
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, horse
Work. But really of course the horse will come running when he hears the bell. That's what he's been trained to do.
Apr 21, 2012 rated it liked it
This was about a fire horse that could not stand retiring. Good for talking about making people feel needed and loved.
LeeAnn G
May 29, 2012
Mar 10, 2014
Sep 18, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Jennifer Armstrong learned to read and write in Switzerland, in a small school for English speaking children on the shores of Lake Zurich. The school library had no librarian and no catalog – just shelves of interesting books. She selected books on her own, read what she could, and made up the rest. It was perfect. As a result, she made her career choice – to become an author – in first grade. Whe ...more
More about Jennifer Armstrong...