Start by marking “Rhythms of Grace” as Want to Read:
Rhythms of Grace

Rhythms of Grace

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  266 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Grace Okoye was a promising young dancer when her career was cut short by a brutal assault that left her scarred for life. Twenty years later, when her past gets in the way of her happiness, she heeds the invitation of her dance instructor and returns home to help hurting children and rediscover the rhythms of grace. What she doesn't expect is to meet a man who already see ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Revell

To ask other readers questions about Rhythms of Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rhythms of Grace

Carleta Enzo Diaz
Mar 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Pros:
1) great and innovative plot
2) endearing characters with depth and potential
3) great quotable sections

Cons:
1) the beginning is confusing and jumbling an skips across time without any notification- it read like a movie script at times
2) the tunnel vision of some of the characters can be a bit tiring
3) ending feels unfinished with lots of questions left unanswered
Rhonda
Apr 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
Let me start out by saying that this is African-American fiction...I am white, and I really liked this book. No reason not to read it. One of the better books I've read in a long time. There is a sequel coming out in Fall of 2009, and I'll be waiting to read that one as well.

...about a young dancer named Grace who was assaulted on her way home from dance one night. Years later, she comes back "home" to teach at this school for teens at-risk. A lot of relationships, lots of secrets, and complicat
Erica Senecal
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is one book that I have to go back and re-read. The first couple chapters really drew me in... then a shocking tragedy strikes. I was left reeling. I skimmed a few more chapters, not really liking the idea of bouncing into so many points of view.

I ended up jumping to the end, but the last chapter made me want to read the one before and the one before that, etc etc. Plot is good. Characters are good; but that tragedy hit me hard. Too hard. I didn't want to keep reading but wanted to know ho
Carrie Kellenberger
Nov 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, kindle
I found it really hard to get through this book mainly because of the following points:

1. It was very confusing to read. Every chapter was dedicated to a character, and there were six characters to keep track of, plus their side stories.
2. I felt like the author could've gotten through the story in half the time. You know where the characters are going and you know where they're going to end up, but the story just goes on and on.
3. The ending itself was very unsatisfactory, with a lot of quest
Danyelle Scroggins
A Wonderful Ride

Awesomely amazed. This writer has woven into the fabrics of the pages of Rhythms of Grace a story that's sure to cause the average person to think upon the grace they've received in their life. Zeely life is remarkably challenging but often life will bring you back to the place where the process began in order for you to master your purpose. In Rhythms of Grace we find a group of adults coming back to where they began. Embraced by the one woman who refused to give up on them, the
Sunny
Dec 21, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book but I will admit that it read like a soap opera. There was tragedy in abundance: rape, abortions, adoptions, illegitemate children, lost loves, crazy men, poor familial relationships, race issues, deaths. There was so much heartbreak in this book, I thought my heart would give out when it finally gave me my less than satisfactory ending. There was so much hiding behind God for some of these characters that they never faced up to their issues. They still didn't although there ...more
African Americans on the Move Book Club
RHYTHMS of GRACE By Marilynn Griffith

*****

I Give this novel two thumbs up, only because two is all I have. This book is like poetry, every line is Stimulating to your mind and soul. Miss Griffith takes the simplest of conversations and turns them into works of art. This Story takes you from the early 80s where five teens, Diana, Zeely, Brian, Ron and Jerry, were working up a strange friendship to their lives as adults and how they reconnect on many different levels. With this story in hand, you
Karen
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I had a hard time deciding if this should get 3 or 4 stars. The beginning was rough. It was difficult to follow, skipping months/years with no warning. I also found the imagery and writing style a bit grating. However as the book skipped forward it got more intriguing.

The characters are interesting and the secrets are revealed in stages. The individual stories of living with Christian principles even when life is not perfect and of people seeking redemption are fairly moving. Sometimes it reads
NayNay
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
The book got off to a great start...I was drawn to the characters and Marilynn Griffith's writing style got my attention. RHYTHMS OF GRACE is very inspirational (but not overly religious,) it is a story of forgiveness, and acceptance. I would say the only negative thing about this book is that it was a very long book, but I was so caught up in the story I could not put it down. I flew through the story that I was so surprised I was already at the end. I would recommend this book to fans of Chris ...more
Lillie
This is a very moving story about relationships, secrets, and faith. The author has a lovely voice that's a pleasure to read. However, sometimes the change in point of view among so many characters got confusing, and occasionally I wanted to shake the characters and tell them to move on with their lives rather than letting their pasts shape their futures. I appreciated that most of the characters were flawed humans still trying to live their faith in difficult circumstances. They were very real ...more
Rachel
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't really enjoy this book. I picked it up and put it back down several times over a period of more than a year. The detail of the south and the presentation of her religious group as oppressing her dance and music was too heavy for the story-line. It did not attract me to continue reading. I finally finished it, but never got the sigh of satisfaction I was looking for when all the competing story-lines should have been tied up neatly.
Rebecca
Aug 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
I had a really difficult time making it through this book because of all of the different points-of-view, all in the first person, making it difficult to remember who was "speaking" and how they were connected to the plot. I also felt that there wasn't a good resolution for most of the characters, and I did not see the point of that. I am not interested in the sequel after struggling through this book.
Alicia
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It's Christian fiction that is not sugar coated. The characters are not perfect and don't presume to be. There are some deep issues. I loved the voice of Diana in the first chapter. It seemed so real. I was only disappointed as I neared the end and realized the issues would not be resolved in this book. Luckily for me there is a sequel, which I am reading right now.
Chiquedee
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very well written and believable. The characters were well developed and interesting in their own rights. Liked the way they were all connected to the plot line. Grace's story was traumatic. Each character had a tragedy of one sort or the other but by God's grace find redemption and forgiveness and strength to carry on. Enjoyed Zeely and Ron's love story more.
Ade Oluyemisi
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good story line and interesting characters. I like the theme of forgiveness of self and others. Deals with spirituality, culture and traditions on multiple levels. Ending was disappointing too many unanswered questions. First time reading this writer hope there is a sequel that answers them. Got it from BookBub
Kimberly
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a great story of love, faith and beliefs. The characters had there fair share of ups and downs. They shared in each others lives. They were friends and family. Through it all the love of God prevailed in their lives.

This was my first read by this author and it won't be my last. Looking forward to the sequel.
Bashyria
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a great read. I think one of the best things about this book was the characters. The main four; Diana Grace, Zeely, Ron and Brian, were my favorites. It was interesting to see their growth and watch the consequences of decisions they made. The plot was interesting as well, and there were quite a few surprises added along the way. As I said, this was a great read.
Rita
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was enjoyable. Would suggest for anyone who is thinking of reading to just read the book you will be glad you did. The characters are pull at your heart string and you feel their pain but you also get to feel their love and happiness. Follow the four characters as they make there was through an often difficult life.
Penny
Feb 10, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is about friendship, hope, and help for those who need a hand up in life. It is anchored in religion but with the devil lurking around the edges. The people are likable and deeply developed. There are flashes of beautiful prose that kept me coming back for more.
Ruby
wonderfully written story with great characters and a riveting plot from start to finish. my only complaint is the constantly switching POVs. as this was Grace's story, it would have worked just fine told solely through her eyes.
Kathy Ann
Apr 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Very slow start but builds to a worthwhile read.
Shaneka
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this book was excellent. i hope there is a sequel in the works
Glenda Taylor
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Had this book for a couple of years but just read it and it was wonderful. Don't know why I waited so long
Kiki
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Really enjoyed the development of the characters although I prefer not to read character based chapters.
Carolyn
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This took me awhile to get into. But once I started getting into it I didn't want to put it down. I'm so glad I finally got to finish this book.
Bethany
Feb 08, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was really confusing for the first half, as each chapter was written from the perspective of a different main character and it was quite difficult to see how they fitted together.
Renee Plenty
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
The plot, characters and set felt so real, I literally cried. I must saw this write brought the depth and took the chance of authenticity in her writing! This is definitely not the sugar coating Christian Novel.
I enjoyed the use of scripture. Profound!
Wendy
Mar 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: g
Didn't finish
Donna Hulsey
Aug 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Every chapter is from the point of view of a different character. I found it somewhat hard to follow, and to remember what/who each character was in the context of the story. It was a pretty good book, with a lot of religious fervor thrown in. Not crazy about the ending either.
Desiree
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book
  • The Someday List (Jubilant Soul #1)
  • If Memory Serves (The Blessed Trinity Series, #3)
  • Divas of Damascus Road
  • Songs of Deliverance
  • Guilty of Love
  • Highland Sanctuary (Highlands #2)
  • The Faith of Ashish (Blessings in India, #1)
  • The Last Woman Standing
  • The Glory of Green (Green #3)
  • Priced to Move (The Shop-Til-U-Drop Collection #1)
  • A Good Man Is Hard to Find
  • Where Did We Go Wrong?
  • Love Like Hallelujah (Hallelujah Love #2)
  • Patchwork A Story of 'The Plain People'
  • Defining Moments
  • The Search
  • Careful of the Company You Keep
  • Friday Night at Honeybee's
Marilynn Griffith is the author of eight novels, mother to seven children, wife to a deacon and proof of God's enduring mercy. She has served as national Vice President of American Christian Fiction Writers and has served on faculty at several national writers conferences. When she's not writing about friendship, family and faith, Marilynn blogs and speaks to women and writers.

One of her novels, I
More about Marilynn Griffith...