Start by marking “A Notorious Love (Swanlea Spinsters, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Notorious Love (Swanlea Spinsters, #2)

A Notorious Love

(Swanlea Spinsters #2)

Helena Laverick is at her wits end! The only man who can help find her eloping young sister is that scoundrel Daniel Brennan : the man who played with her emotions last year and then left. And he used to be a smuggler! Although Mrs. Nunley′s Guide to Etiquette for Young Ladies would never approve, Helena forced to go after the runaway in Daniel′s company. But something abo ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published April 25th 2006 by Avon (first published September 4th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Notorious Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Notorious Love

Start your review of A Notorious Love (Swanlea Spinsters, #2)
Mo
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one sort of fizzled out a bit in the end for me. Not sure why.

Watching the footy, so not much time to review!

I didn't really like Juliet so I am even sure if I will continue the series.

Fani *loves angst*
The book starts when the heroine, who has a limp, goes to the hero's house (an ex-smuggler) to ask his help in locating her sister who seems to have eloped with a fortune hunter and possible smuggler. The hero reluctantly agrees that she accompany him in his search, while he's trying to pick up the trail of her sister. But the only way she can accompany him without ruining her reputation, is if she pretends to be his wife. And so the search begins, and of course they have to share rooms in taver ...more
Heather *Undercover Goth Queen*
I enjoyed both the hero and heroine in this one. I liked their banter for the most part, although there were times a deliberate misunderstanding was introduced to further the drama. The book wasn't very exciting. It felt so long and took me several days to read. I wanted to read this only in order to understand the third book of the series, as the plot points are introduced here. Otherwise I'd probably have DNFed it.

He accepted her with all her flaws—her tart tongue, her distrustful nature, her
Elaine
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
4+ Really enjoyed this book.

What an assortment of names he has for his unquenchable thing...And I quote...

"within seconds, the unquenchable thing inside his breeches stiffened mad with the pleasure of touching her.

Bloody hell, he swore under his breath as his St Peter behaved less than saintly. The damned thing kept rearing up inside his breeches thanks to her and her sweet lips.

...his John Thomas...
Marg
Aug 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Pego, St Peter and John Thomas will be the overwhelming thing that I take away from this book.
Melissa
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the series. I have found anew author to love. Good dialogue, steamy, and happily ever afters make this book and author a joy to read. I’m off to the 3rd in the series. Yay!🥰
Readitnweep
Jul 12, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Becky
I was NOT expecting much from this book because I wasn't a fan of the first in the series, but I just adored it. Road trip romance? Yes please! Forced proximity? I love it! Hero and heroine both flawed, yet perfect for each other? Woohoo!

Helena is the oldest of the 3 Laverick sisters (The first book of the series is about the middle sister). She has a limp from a damaged leg, which you find out why in the author's notes at the end of the story. She has loved once in the past and was badly hurt e
Vicky (Victoria) Cavill
3.5 Stars..!!

This is the first Sbrina Jeffries series. I've read a The Hellions, and The duke's men series. They are awesome..!
So, I'm a little bit surprised that this is a SJ book. You can clearly tell that these are her earlier work.
The story is what made me give 3.5 stars. The writing is not up to SJ standard. I was really disappointed.
But I did love Danny and Helena. They made me complete the book.

And my main complaint is why does she find it necessary to use such stupid synonyms for a man
Irene
Like with Rosalind and Juliet, Helena is a delightful Swanlea Spinster, a fully fleshed-out heroine whose motivations and fears are wonderfully unpacked, bringing depth beyond lame sister, the shrew. Helena has been jilted in the past and this has led her to become disillusioned with men taking an interest in her. In A Notorious Love, Helena learns how to tell a good guy from one that needs to be put in his place. Relatable, no?

Picking up right after the events of A Dangerous Love, Sabrina Jeffr
Pamela Shropshire
The second book of the Swanlea Spinsters series. Helena is impaired in one of her legs due to a disease that sounds like polio (and Ms. Jeffries confirms that in an author's note). Several years previously, she had been courted by a Lord Farnsworth and she thought she was in love with him, but he married someone else. She has decided that no man will marry her because of her leg, and in order to protect her heart, she rebuffs any gentleman who approaches her.

Then came the Griff Knighton/Daniel B
Lindap
Jan 23, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 Stars -

HOOPLA audio.

A Notorious Love was the only book I read in the series until now. I needed to re-read it so I knew what happened before moving on to book 3. My rating remains 3 Stars. This was Daniel and Helena's story (The middle sister) with the side story of the kidnapping of Juliet. Like the 1st book it was an okay story....again, I'm glad SB has improved over the years.
Ramona
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historic-romance
I liked this one even better than the first book. The characters just clicked.
Keri
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
So far my favorite of the trilogy. I loved Daniel!
Chumchum_88
Donna
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book, maybe not quite as much as the first in the series, but it still had its moments. Helena and Daniel appeared to be an ill-matched pair, but they were equally stubborn, equally quick with retorts, and equally unsure about each other notwithstanding their mutual attraction. The plot had more adventure than in the previous book and was a good lead-in to the third book in the series.

I liked Daniel and Helena, the plot held my interest, and because of the smooth writing, the story
Zoe
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book. It flows very nicely and is a very sweet story. I however have reservations about characterization in this book.

1. A heroine with polio: I had trouble picturing her in my head.

2. A hero who speaks of love too prematurely: maybe it was not premature for other people, but the timing in the book was a little too early for me. Maybe "early" is not exactly the right word. I think for someone who is used to mocking and ridicule, prejudice and judgement, like our hero, it takes a li
ViviKitty
Summary: When her youngest sister Juliet runs off to elope with the mysterious Captain Will Morgan, a possible fortune hunter who may be involved with smugglers, Lady Helena Laverick has no idea what to do! Griff and Roselind A Dangerous Love are honeymooning on the Continent, so her letter won’t reach them for weeks, and since Helena requires the aid of a cane to get around due to a childhood illness, she is in no position to go after her love-blinded sister alone. Wanting to be discreet to sal ...more
Carolyn F.
Very predictable romance - stubborn (most stubborn that the hero has ever come across) and she sticks her chin out and cuts him with her words. Ugh! And this man finds that attractive? I just don't get it. It was just okay. ...more
☽ Rhiannon ✭ Mistwalker ☾
Jeffries creates some great characters! I'm always a sucker for a disabled heroine, but this book was quite enjoyable besides. And on to the next one!

Stands up on re-read, great story
Liz Stevens
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can the people who design the covers be required to either read the books, or even the descriptions of the characters? Daniel is blonde! Ah, well, very good book, regardless of the error.
penelopewanders
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Hmm, I forgot to check if this is the cover on mine (I put a paper cover on my books while reading to protect them, so only see the actual covers briefly).
This was the second in the Swanlea Spinsters series, and I did enjoy it, although perhaps not quite as much as the first. This was the story of Brennan and Helena, and it seems there's more to Juliet than seems at the end of this one.
An entertaining read for a rainy weekend.
Sharyn
Dec 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Daniel Brennan has dragged himself up from a terrible childhood to become a successful businessman. In the previous book he was pretending to be his boss, and met Helena under false pretenses. When her sister eloped, she goes to him for help. They set out to find her. Along the way Daniel and Helena must deal with their prejudices and misconceptions. Neither thinks they are worthy of each other. An interesting ending, and a slight hint for the next one.
Lynne Tull
Dec 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: regency-romance
Sabrina Jeffries* is the queen of stretching out a story. There was a lot of redundant, boring filler. The story and the characters are good, but I had to skip a lot to get to the good parts. Once you get to the good parts I think you will like this story. It is a series so I want to find out how the next spinster fares. *Stephanie Laurens runs a close second.
Readerkuna1
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this book.
Helena needs help to find her sister.

Daniel is the one man who can help her.

They go through their travels and argue and sparks fly.

Helena is lame. One bad leg. But to Daniel she is beauty and the woman for him.

Daniel becomes the man that see her for who see is, and he is the man for her.

In spite of thre trouble they find their love.
Alene  Marie
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow. So happy with this one. Finally a man trying to break open the frozen heart of a woman. I LOVE it. Helena is such a great character and I love how she really becomes so sexually confident and Daniel just wants to show her not all men are trash bags 😭 I loved these two and their relationship was really beautiful.
Ashley Nicole
Mar 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Elizabeth
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
A really nice romance without the normal balls and traipsing around London. Instead we enjoy a chase after smugglers with our physically disabled heroine and low born hero. 3.5 stars or 4 romance stars
Marcy
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another success

Great story, although I wish I’d read the first book in the series first. Some parts were a tad bit confusing because of references to the first book. Good strong characters that were very believable and even likable despite their bad traits. That’s talent!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Stormswept
  • Seduction on a Snowy Night
  • Snowy Night with a Stranger (School for Heiresses, #4.5)
  • A Kiss to Remember (Once Upon a Time, #3)
  • The Virgin and the Rogue (The Rogue Files, #6)
  • The Duke Effect (The Rogue Files, #7)
  • Windswept (Wales, #2)
  • By Love Unveiled (Restoration, #1)
  • The Debutante Is Mine (Season's Original, #1)
  • Once Upon a Wedding Night (The Derrings, #1)
  • One Night With You (The Derrings #3)
  • Too Wicked to Tame (The Derrings, #2)
  • A Duke She Can't Refuse (The Impossible Balfours Book 1)
  • Ten Things I Hate About the Duke (Difficult Dukes, #2)
  • The Elusive Lord Everhart (The Rakes of Fallow Hall, #1)
  • Lessons from a Scandalous Bride (Forgotten Princesses #2)
  • The Duke's Stolen Bride (The Rogue Files, #5)
  • The Lady Hellion (Wicked Deceptions, #3)
Sabrina Jeffries is the NYT bestselling author of over 50 novels and works of short fiction (some written under the pseudonyms Deborah Martin and Deborah Nicholas). Whatever time not spent writing in a coffee-fueled haze of dreams and madness is spent traveling with her husband and adult autistic son or indulging in one of her passions—jigsaw puzzles, chocolate, and music. With over 9 million book ...more

Swanlea Spinsters (5 books)
  • A Dangerous Love (Swanlea Spinsters, #1)
  • After the Abduction (Swanlea Spinsters, #3)
  • Dance of Seduction (Swanlea Spinsters, #4)
  • Married to the Viscount (Swanlea Spinsters, #5)

News & Interviews

“A man is what he is and no fancy lodgings or fine clothes will change that (Daniel Brennan)” 10 likes
“And in my private life I prefer not to pass myself off as what I'm not (Daniel Brennan)” 9 likes