Start by marking “Long May She Reign” as Want to Read:
Long May She Reign

Long May She Reign

The Girl of Fire and Thorns meets The Queen of the Tearling in this thrilling fantasy standalone about one girl’s unexpected rise to power.

Freya was never meant be queen. Twenty third in line to the throne, she never dreamed of a life in the palace, and would much rather research in her laboratory than participate in the intrigues of court. However, when an extravagant ban
Published February 21st 2017 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Long May She Reign, please sign up.
Horsegirl275 13 seems perfectly fine. There is blatant discussion of death in the book, which is to be expected from the premise, but nothing gory or unsuitable…more13 seems perfectly fine. There is blatant discussion of death in the book, which is to be expected from the premise, but nothing gory or unsuitable for 13 at all. (less)
Thia It's a fantasy novel without magic or creatures, without a strong romance, with a big focus on politics and scientific experiments. There is not a lot…moreIt's a fantasy novel without magic or creatures, without a strong romance, with a big focus on politics and scientific experiments. There is not a lot of action, conflicts are resolved without violence, etc.
The writing is still decent, the main character has a nice character ark, the plot is fine, but nothing "wowed" me. (I gave it 3 stars.)(less)

Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
BiblioBabble TK!

I enjoyed this WAY more than I had expected to. I'll admit my expectations going in were pretty low based on some other reviews I'd seen but I had a great time reading (well, listening really since I went the audiobook route) this book! It had a fabulous main character and the whole murder mystery whodunnit plot was really cool. However, this is deemed a fantasy stand alone, which sure it is since it's in a fantastical setting, but don't be expecting the typical fantasy stuff lik
❄️Nani❄️
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I only bought this purely because a few people kept comparing it to The Queen of the Tearling and since that is one of my favourite trilogies I thought, could never go wrong with that.

So, right off the bat, let me just say that this is NOTHING like TQotT. Not by a mile. Aside from the fact that these two girls/women have to come to terms with their new reality of being a queen in a corrupt kingdom, there is not much else that resembles the trilogy.

I found the story engaging but my reading experi
may ❀
lolz i had this review written since this morning and forgot to post it yikes

I was so pumped to love this book. A standalone fantasy?? With a dazzling cover?? How often are we blessed with that?? Never, that’s how often.

But but but but, it seems the inside didn’t match with the outside this time. Sad.

description

So the basic gist of the plot was. . . Freya, the MC, is 33rd in line to the throne. She fancies herself a scientist over a court lady and on the night of the King’s birthday, a massacre takes plac
Sana

This book wasn't bad. It was surprisingly good, but not good enough. This book was was extremely unlike what I was expecting, which is both refreshing, but disappointing. I liked how we had an extremely insecure and awkward MC and she goes through an incredible character development, but what made this book really suck? It was the plot.

The blurb of this book is an exaggeration of what the book really is. What I expected was an edge of my seat YA Fantasy stand alone read with lots of ac
Cait • A Page with a View
This had all the elements of a typical YA fantasy book, but was actually more like a murder mystery! I was super into the first 20% of this book but then kind of lost interest when the pacing slowed down.

The beginning quickly establishes the main character of Freya, who's pretty far down the line of succession for the throne. She isn't well-versed in court etiquette or politics and would rather spend time working in her laboratory. She was an intelligent, level-headed, and capable main characte
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I tried, I really did and some things I loved but mostly I couldn't get into it and that makes me sad.

The book has a beautiful cover that actually goes with what's in the book.

Freya is thrust into being Queen when everyone at the castle is killed. Well, almost everyone. Freya was wayyyy down the line to become Queen and it was very scary for her.

I loved that she was into making things in her science lab. I loved her friend Naomi and her cat.

But I just couldn't get into this book. I have been
Shreya (☆High Lady of The Night Court☆)
I had a very entertaining time reading this book. I really enjoyed reading from Freya's perspective and watching her try to unravel this murder mystery is pretty exciting. This book was, somehow, not quite what I expected it to be, but nonetheless I had a great time reading it. What threw me off balance is that the book does not feel like a fantasy book but more like a Historical Fiction or Mystery novel.

We follow Freya as she is crowned queen (in the most unsettling circumstance possible) and a
Alaina
Long May She Reign was amazing! Way more than amazing than I thought it would be! I loved the entire story - I mean, I couldn't put down this book guys! I was basically attached to it. Then there's the whole Freya being queen and the title Long May She Reign it definitely reminds of the TV show Reign because they always said that in the show. Plus people have tried to kill the Queen in that show - even poison her.

I don't really know what else to say about this book other than I did not see the
Lonleypurplecat
Jul 25, 2015 marked it as to-read
Please don't make her stupid blushing violet that somehow creates a love triangle with two (hot) idiots.
Nasom
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is like the princess diaries meets murder mystery.

What drew me to this book was the stand-alone aspect. There are rarely fantasy stand-alone books and sometimes I am not in the mood to read multiple books to find out how a story ends. Unfortunately, there was no fantasy in this but I still enjoyed it in general

What I liked
- I liked the plot in general: awkward, science-loving girl called Freya just wants to be a scientist and far away from the court. She never saw herself being quee
Simona Bartolotta
Aug 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
1.5

I was going to be nice and rate this two stars, but then my usual acid self got the better of my decent one, and so here we are. I finished Long May She Reign about a couple of hours ago, and each and every time I thought about it in these two hours, my mind stayed blank. If I had to choose only two words to describe this book, I'd choose inordinately trite.

The premise is delicious, and if the cover wasn't that gorgeous, I'd say it also was the only thing that made me feel so drawn toward t
Fables&Wren
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
WrensReads Review:

I have mixed feelings about this book.

The main character was a pretty great main character. I loved that her passion wasn’t something artsy like most young-adult heroines are; it was science and her thought process was like someone who would be a scientist.

So the whole story starts with someone killing basically all of the linage to the throne, including the king and his immediate family, with a poisoned cake. Only the bastard of the king, our main girl Freya, her best friend
Anja
Mar 30, 2017 rated it liked it
*3.5 CHEMICAL STARS*

"You have to weed the garden before you can plant flowers, must you not?"

Well, this book didn't turn out the way I expected it to.
They compared this to The Queen of the Tearling and I loved that series (except for the ending, WHAT WAS THAT?!), but honestly, they are nothing alike in my opinion except for the setting. A common girl unexpectedly becoming queen and having to find her way. That's pretty much where the similarities end.
That doesn't mean I didn't like this though
Lexie
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was honestly so good, I should have traded more than a vague promise of good behavior for an ARC.

Standalone fantasy. It's where all the good one-shot plots have escaped.

Review to come when the aforementioned good behavior allows it.

Bottom line: it's more than just a pretty face cover.
Sa96ar
Jun 25, 2016 marked it as to-read
the title reminded me of Reign the TV show & i LOVE that show soooo.... :")

“I couldn’t be queen. I couldn’t. So many people would have to die for me to inherit the throne, and they couldn’t be gone.”

This was a YA fantasy story featuring a girl who was never meant to be queen.

Freya was an okay character, and I liked how she used her strengths to her best advantage, even when it didn’t seem obvious how she could possibly do that.

The storyline in this was about the King and his c
Frankie Lovely
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-release
3 stars
Review to come

Good read but not epic. A little bland but not bad.

I enjoyed the read.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars!

I was drawn to this story after seeing the cover and reading the synopsis and that fascination, that curiosity just grew after the first chapter and even more so the further I got into the story.

The fact that this is a stand alone, made it even more appealing. The simple truth that it was somewhat addicting and hard to put down, even better.

Let's face it, there are very little stand alone novels out there lately. Instead the market of both adult and young adult, are riddled with duol
Tricia Levenseller
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have never read a story about an introvert. And not just that, but an introvert with crippling social anxiety. It was so refreshing to see myself in the story! The political intrigue is fabulous, and the book has just the perfect pinch of romance to tie everything together. This is definitely a quieter book, but one I highly enjoyed and desperately needed.
☆Stephanie☆
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Title: Long May She Reign
Author. Rhiannon Thomas
Publisher: HarperTeen, 2017 (Feb 21)
Genre: YA Fantasy

This review can be found on my BlogTeacherofYA's Tumblr, or my Goodreads page

My Review:

Ok. You all know I'm a sucker for a pretty cover. 9 times out of 10 it actually works for me. Really. The wrapper matches the inside and I'm a happy girl. I'm a coverwhore but a lucky one.

This was not one of those times.

Thank goodness I got this from Overdrive...if I had bought this, I would have been disa
Crazy4Books
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
This world was pretty easy to understand but it didnt have any magic or fantastical elements which was disapointing. I think its more of a historical fiction with a mystery but it is marketed as a fantasy standalone. I liked the whole mystery aspect of trying to figure out who killed all the nobles but someones review on Goodreads ruined it for me when I was only about 20% of the way through the book. The killer was named right at the top of their review so I couldnt miss it while I was scrollin ...more
Beth
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Freya is the girl that shouldn’t have become queen. When someone poisons the court, Freya misses the attack because she bowed out to get in some chemistry time in her homemade lab. Now, she is thrust into political intrigue, a position of power and is surrounded by someone who wants her dead.

Freya has no idea how to be queen. She struggles with her new circumstances and must learn to overcome her shortcomings in order to become a good ruler.

The story was a little slow going but in the end I lik
Sara Saif
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing

4.5/5

I really seriously found this book mesmerizing. Just LOOK at that cover. My brain refused to find any faults. Context is one of the hundred things that affect how you feel about a book. The one I read before this was absolute rubbish so compared to that, this was, without a doubt, splendid. I will, however, stress that Long May She Reign is extraordinary and refreshing in its own right.

The genre may be fantasy but there is surprisingly little of that, there’s just one element in the book th
Scrill
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, romance, fantasy
“Still slightly drained from all the interaction, still slightly unsure of what people might do next, but something had clicked, some knowledge that I could actually do this, I could be queen the way I wanted, and the consequences would be whatever the consequences would be.

Long May She Reign is a story about a girl who was 23rd in line to the throne to suddenly find herself queen. A massacre on the court leaves Freya the next in line after she luckily gets by without being poisoned. Now, a girl
Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
RATING: It’s actually 4.75 stars, but that's basically 5 stars so whatevs.

This had been on my TBR for a long time and thank god I was finally in the mood to pick it up. I loooooved it!!!

What’s this about you ask? 👉🏻 Freya was never supposed to be Queen. Twenty third in line to the throne, she never dreamed of a life in the palace. But when the King and his closest relatives are poisoned, Freya suddenly finds herself in the throne. How will she rule when there’s a murderer on the loose and she c
Vivianne
“You have to weed the garden before you can plant flowers, must you not?”

Actual rating 2.75 stars!

description

I’d seen so many bad ratings for this book, so I got a little scared to read this. But I decided enough postponing, this book has been for over a half year on my tbr, I just need to start. I love that this is a YA fantasy standalone, I don’t see many of those. And the concept was really intriguing, but this story didn’t captivate me as much as I hoped, and I don’t particularly know why not. I act
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
About: Long May She Reign is a fiction novel written by Rhiannon Thomas. It was published on 2/21/17 by Harper Teen, an imprint of Harper Collins, 432 pages. The genres are fantasy and young adult. This book is intended for ages 13 and up, grades 8 and up. According to Harper Collins’ website, the company is the second-largest consumer book publisher in the world, originally founded by two bothers, James and John Harper in New York City in 1817 and currently has publishing operations in 18 count ...more
Stacee
2/5 stars

it's pretty much guaranteed that I'll read a book if it's compared to The Girl of Fire and Thorns. I liked the premise and was quite eager to read. Sadly, this was a bit boring.

It started out strong. I liked Freya and I really loved that she was a scientist. I loved her experiments and her devotion to her cat. I wanted to root for her.

I guess my hang up was the plot. Everything moved so slowly that I quickly lost interest. Even the few small reveals couldn't keep me captivated. And by
Ashley
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, e-arc
FACTS:

- It's not really a romance. There are a few bits and pieces, but it's ultimately sooo not the focus of the story, which is kind of appropriate.

- It seemed like it would be a fantasy book, but it's not really. I mean, it is, because it's about some imaginary land/kingdom. But I guess it didn't feel like a fantasy since it's so rooted in science and there's no magic.

WHAT I LIKED:

- I really liked the overall story. This girl who never in a million years expected to be queen is suddenly queen
Zoe
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it

Long May She Reign is an engaging and well-written fantasy, but, plotwise, there isn't anything about it to differentiate it from all the other YA fantasies that have been published.

17-year-old Freya was never meant to be queen. Twenty-third in line to the throne, she has always been content staying in her laboratory and conducting science experiments. But when everyone at the King's banquet is poisoned, Freya suddenly finds herself Queen.

Freya is a wonderful and well-written mai
  • The Dragon's Price (Transference, #1)
  • Waters of Salt and Sin (Uncommon World, #1)
  • Krait's Redemption (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #5)
  • Revenge and the Wild
  • In the Time of Dragon Moon (Wilde Island Chronicles, #3)
  • Poison's Kiss (Poison's Kiss, #1)
  • Spindle Fire (Spindle Fire #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic #1)
  • Bound by Blood and Sand (Bound by Blood and Sand #1)
  • The Marked Girl (Marked Girl, #1)
  • Daughters of Ruin
  • Blood Rose Rebellion (Blood Rose Rebellion, #1)
  • Reign of Shadows (Reign of Shadows, #1)
  • Burning Glass (Burning Glass, #1)
  • Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Storyspinner (The Keepers' Chronicles, #1)
  • Traitor Angels
  • Sword and Verse (Sword and Verse, #1)
Rhiannon Thomas is an English Lit grad from Princeton University. She currently lives in York, England, in the shadow of a 13th century Gothic cathedral. When she isn’t lost in YA fantasy, she writes about feminism and the media on her blog, FeministFiction.com.
“You have to weed the garden before you can plant flowers, must you not?” I” 6 likes
“What did he mean? Was he saying he liked me as in “We’re friends, of course I wouldn’t betray you”? Or as in “You’re not an awful person, and I’m happy for you to be queen”? Or . . . or did he mean he liked me, as in he liked me? As in had feelings for me? I” 4 likes