Start by marking “For Crown and Kingdom” as Want to Read:

For Crown and Kingdom

(The Twelve Kingdoms #3.6)

~Two fantasy romance tales by bestselling and award winning authors Jeffe Kennedy and Grace Draven~

***The Crown of the Queen: a novella of the Twelve Kingdoms by Jeffe Kennedy

It's been a lifetime since librarian Dafne Mailloux saw the coronation of the tyrant who destroyed her family. She did her part to pull him off the High Throne. But his daughter, the would-be Quee
Published May 29th 2016 by Grace Draven and Jeffe Kennedy

To ask other readers questions about For Crown and Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Crown and Kingdom

Mara
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: RachelW
Shelves: fantasy, novella, romance
I didn't even check what this anthology was about: I saw Grace Draven's name on it and I clicked, quicker than the Flash.

Let me first warn you. Contrary to what the cover/title says, this isn't two fantasy romances. Ms Kennedy's novella is the epilogue to her fantasy series on the Tala and it narrates a coronation. There's not even a hint about romance (unless knowing how the previous stories end is your idea of romance). I was a little bit baffled.
So if you haven't read her series, better ste
RedL.
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it

I wasn't that familiar with the work of Jeffe Kennedy, I got this for Grace Draven, which has become a favourite fantasy writer of mine. This is a collaboration, a duo of novellas, I didn't like them equally but the quality of both is very high.

As I haven't read any of the books of Kennedy's Twelve Kingdoms' serie, her novella The Crown of the Queen, focused on a side character, felt to me like a massive info-dumping. I didn't know the world nor the main characters and, even though I managed to visu
RachelW (BamaGal)
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This review is for The Undying King by Grace Draven.

4.5 Stars. Wow, this was a fantastic read by one of the best writers out there (of any genre). A rich, vibrant tale; fantasy at its best. Imogen and Cededa rank right up there with Draven's best couples. There was so much story and imagery packed in this novella; and I couldn't help but wonder how much better this could have been fleshed out into the full length book it deserved.

I hope Draven plans another visit to this mesm
G.
Aug 10, 2016 added it
I'm not rating the collection, because I only read Grace Draven's novella, which I enjoyed but didn't love. I thought the idea for the story was great. In fact, I wished it had been developed into a novel instead of a novella, with a completely fleshed out world, characters and their back stories. The side characters were sadly quite flimsy. If I had to rate this novella, I'd give it 3 stars.
Kara-karina
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5/5
Please note, that I'm only reviewing The Undying King by Grace Draven as me and Jeffe Kennedy's books unfortunately do not get along well. The Undying King was fabulous, peeps! To my surprise it was a whole new world not connected to the books I've already read, and I found the characters of Cededa and Imogen really engaging. Also, talk about scorching hot intimate scenes. *phew* Totally worth a read!

* * *

Заметьте пожалуйста, что я рецензирую только повесть от
Marlene
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

For Crown and Kingdom is a duology, two separate works of fantasy romance. I read the first entry in the pair, The Crown of the Queen, not long ago, and absolutely loved it. Last night, I read The Undying King by Grace Draven, and loved it almost as much. This is the first time I’ve read something by this author, and now I understand why my friends at The Book Pushers love her Master of Crows so much.

Someday, when my virtual TBR pile isn’t virtually toppling
Ren Puspita
4 stars

So many reviewers on Goodreads here stated thay they just read and rate The Undying King. Make sense, tho. But for me, since I had read Jeffe Kennedy's Twelve Kingdom, I rated this anthology fully. If you not familiar with Kennedy's writing, you will get very confused read her novella The Crown of The Queen, because its story is the continuation after The Talon of the Hawk (The Twelve Kingdoms, #3) by Jeffe Kennedy . I don't know why put Kennedy's novella first, but I guess they have their own reason. If you not read Twelve Kingdoms yet, just go ahead to re
Jen Davis
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve really enjoyed Jeffe Kennedy’s Twelve Kingdom books, and it was an anthology that led me to it. Imagine how excited I was to see this story nestled in another anthology with one of the same authors who took part in Amid the Winter Snow! I was already a Grace Draven fan, thanks to Wraith King series, so I’m always down to read something else from her.

Let’s start with the Kennedy short. The Crown of the Queen is a novella told from Dafne’s point of view, but be forewarned, this is
FV Angela
Review originally posted at http://fictionvixen.com/read-wednesda...

Still catching up on my TBR list.

This review will be for Grace Draven’s novella The Undying King, which I read first because I have all the love in the world for her fantasy romances. I did start Jeffe Kennedy’s novella but quickly came to the realization that it was best read in order within the Twelve Kingdoms series. And since I haven’t started that series yet, but fully plan to glom within the next week or so (I’ve already one-clicked the first book), I’
Linda
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it

(Read only the Draven story)

The Undying King by Grace Draven

Ms. Draven does her usual outstanding job of creating complex characters and unique fantasy settings. Imogen and Cededa's story evolves slowly as we gradually come to know their pasts and how they became the people they are. Imogen's sweet pragmatism perfectly complements Cededa's anguished regrets and their coming to know and appreciate one another makes for a satisfying story. Minor editing issues don
Sunny
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Grace Draven has a special brand of fantasy that is like no other. Her characters are often tortured and dark, but love helps them find the light. In this short story, a death curse is an unexpected gift to someone who is desperately trying NOT to be immortal. Smart, so very smart. Beautifully written with rich imagery is what I have come to expect from this author whether full-fledged novel or a shorter novella.
Katrina
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Crown of the Queen

I am not familiar with the Twelve Kingdoms books, so it took a bit of sorting out who is who and what, but it did peak my interest for the series.

The Undying King.

My goodness, the woman can write! The 4* rating is a pure malice on my part because it have left me hungering for more.
Jeffe Kennedy
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Finally got to read Grace's story in our duology! Fabulous, of course. So haunting, the way she evokes the ghostly city of Tineroth. Well worth the read. :-)
Aug 11, 2019 marked it as to-read
I'm not marking this book as read or giving it a rating as I've only read one of the stories so far but here are my thoughts of the novella I have read:

The Undying King - 4 stars (Read March 2019)

The Undying King is part beauty and the beast retelling, part fantasy romance and it all adds up into a great read. Friends have been recommending Grace Draven's books for years but it was only after reading Phoenix Unbound that I realised how much I'd been missing out. Now after enjoying this book too I'm planni/>The/>The
Claudia
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't like the first story. It was filled with details of the 12 kingdoms, a lot of names and facts that made my mind spin.
It was to "fantastical" for me to enjoy it. The writing didn't do much to me as well as the fist person narration.
Clearly not my style of writing or story.

I will review the Undying kind separately.
Blodeuedd Finland

I know this was your story Dafne, but I was all about the rest and the whole omg, will they never be able to marry? No one is having babies!
Saaaaaaaaaaaaaadness! And since the next book is about Dafne, that is just, sad you know. No one gets to share their love, well except for Andi. No one is having babies, except for Ami. Now I am sad.

Now when I have that off my chest. This is about Ursula having doubts, others having doubts about her taking the High Crown (to me it would be better if e
Maria
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: series, romance, fantasy
Two short stories of magical kingdoms, fighting and falling for your destiny.

Why I started this book: Bought it for the long flight home... didn't even touch it on the plane.

Why I finished it: Two strong stories. The first is part of a series so you will need to read The Mark of the Tala to enjoy it. The second was stand alone story.
Saidah Gilbert
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
The Crown of the Queen
- It was interesting to see the coronation of Queen Ursula.

The Undying King
- This was the more fleshed out story in my opinion.

I'd gotten this book for Jeffe Kennedy's novella and the second book surprised me with its engrossing plot.
Christine Wang
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Spectacular collection of novellas from two authors I love to read! Wonderful worldbuilding, likeable main characters, and beautiful prose in both stories. Definitely swept me away into their worlds.

I havent read Ms. Kennedy's Tala series yet, though it has been sitting on my to-read shelf for some time. I'll be honest, it took me awhile to figure out what was happening, since I wasn't familiar with the characters or storyline. Probably would have helped, were I familiar with the ser
Lynne
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Reader's of Kennedy and Draven
Recommended to Lynne by: Favorite author
To be fair, my rating is an average of the ratings of the two novellas in this book.

I did not realize that Jeffe Kennedy's was meant to be a bridge between two of her book book series. I tried to read it through, thinking there had to be a good story line to it, but I gave up half way through, not knowing the characters, it seemed like everything I read referred back to their previous stories, like all it was all one continuous recollection/explanation of how they got to the present.

Now Grace
Masako Lin
Jan 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'm a big fan of Grace Draven but was pretty disappointed with this anthology. The writing wasn't very engaging and the character development was flat flat flat. It felt like an erotica who's main point was well the sex. I expect fully fleshed out characters when it comes to a Grace Draven story but that was surprisingly absent in this. The main hero and heroine meet each other for the first time, then hey get it on a few chapters later. I get this is a novella length piece but I've read other n ...more
Danica Lamphere
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story

Two very unique tales both excellent. I love that Grace rarely sticks to common fantasy creatures and every one has a unique twist.
Stupid Shiny Volvo Driver
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-romance
This book contains 2 novellas....
The Crown of the Queen by Jeffe Kennedy... 3.5 stars
and
The Undying King by Grace Draven... 5+ stars

I have to say if I'd read Jeffe Kennedy's The Twelve Kingdoms series, I probably would've adored The Crown of the Queen. But... I haven't read anything by this author so I was completely lost. There was just too much everything happening regarding crowning a new queen and all the information regarding a huge cast of characters I'd never met
Vicki Stiefel
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing

“The Undying King”

Grace Draven is in big trouble. Last night, when I started “The Undying King,” around 4 p.m., I set in for a good read. The novella of a lost kingdom and a cursed woman clawed into me from the first page. It only let go when I turned the last one and flicked off the light at 1 a.m. On my journey through those pages, my heart clenched too many times to count. There, I fell madly in love with the impenetrable Cededa, as well as the cou
Anna
Aug 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Bought for the Grace Draven short story this novella presents a new set of characters and scenario. A good introduction to her writing as fantasy romance. There is a fairy tale feel to the novella with Imogen the lost heroine and Cededa the forgotten prince. Very much a standalone tale, well paced and written with, as usual, engaging characters; it does include explicit sex scenes.

I'd never read Jeffe Kennedy before and this was not a great introduction. The novella is a bridging sce
Mallori
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
3.5 stars for the first story, 1.5 for The Undying King.

I enjoyed Jeffe Kennedy's story about Dafne from the Twelve Kingdoms. Having never read the other books in that series, this was an intriguing introduction to the world and characters that did make me want to seek out the full novels leading up to that point in the fiction, so mission accomplished.
However, my rating drops because this story felt like the bonus epilogue, the feel good happy ending- yes everthing worked out in th
Victoria
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite
Molly Smith
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Initial Thoughts: I enjoyed this double novella. The first story by Jeffe Kennedy was a delightful transitional story between her two series, The Twelve Kingdoms and The Uncharted Realms. This story worked nicely in giving fans of the first series a lovely epilogue and introducing the next series. For my full review of this story with my review partner, Gikany, please click on the link to view it at That's What I'm Talking About blog: http://twimom227.com/2016/05/review-t...

The second story is from Grace Draven. I'm not sure
Melody
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
3 Stars for the first "story". It started out by introducing a woman of undisclosed age who has saved herself for Mr Right her whole life. She thinks it is too late. It promised to be a great romance but it wasn't even an actual story. Instead it was a 14 Chapter progress report on was has happened since the Twelve Kingdoms trilogy. This "story" included pertinent details on who killed whom, when, where, why and how in the aforementioned trilogy. Now if I read the trilogy I already know how ever ...more
Liz
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book has two stories in it. One is by Jeffe Kennedy and tells the tale of the crowning of a queen, and the other is by Grace Draven and tells how an undying king is saved from eternal loneliness by the love of a woman who has been cursed with Death her entire life. This was my first time reading anything by Jeffe Kennedy and I felt that I needed to know more about the world she has built and the relationships of the characters to really appreciate the story. I have read many a Grace Draven ...more

• Beneath a Waning Moon
  • Heart's Blood (The Twelve Kingdoms, #3.5)
  • Spy's Honor (Hearts and Thrones, #2)
  • Frozen
  • Shadowbound (Dark Arts, #1)
  • Make Me Whole (Isle of the Forgotten, #3)
  • Wild for Him (Wild, #2)
  • The Curse Giver
  • Agamemnon Frost and the House of Death (Agamemnon Frost, #1)
  • What Happened at Midnight
  • Investments (Dread Empire's Fall #3.5)
  • My Lady Mage (Warriors of the Mist, #1)
  • The Queen's Gambit (Rogue Queen, #1)
  • Forget Me Not
  • Imprinted (Magic Ex Libris, #4.5)
I'm an author and Louisiana native living in Texas with my husband, three smalls and a big doofus dog. I have lived in Spain, hiked the Teton Mountains, honeymooned in Scotland, ridden in competition rodeo and am the great great granddaughter of a Nicaraguan president. I also hate doing laundry and refuse to iron anything.

I've loved storytelling since forever. I published my first shor

The Twelve Kingdoms (3 books)
  • The Mark of the Tala (The Twelve Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Tears of the Rose (The Twelve Kingdoms, #2)
  • The Talon of the Hawk (The Twelve Kingdoms, #3)