Start by marking “Curse (Wicked, #2)” as Want to Read:
Curse (Wicked, #2)

Curse (Wicked #2)

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  500 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Holly Cathers and her twin cousins have just graduated from high school, and they're moving on toward their first semester of college. But no matter where they go, they will never be entirely free of their past. The three are descendants of a powerful coven of witches -- in constant danger from a rival clan.Holly learns from a vision that Jer is still alive. As leader of t ...more
Published January 1st 2003 by Simon Pulse (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curse

Jodi
Sep 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book takes place where Book 1 left off. High school is over but college has not begun for Holly's little coven. Her cousin Nicole, the wild child, has run away because though she was practicing magic, this fight with the Deveraux (one of whom she was dating), was too real for her. Her twin Amanda is following Holly but as Holly becomes ever more powerful she starts to change. Power corrupts and absolute power...Holly is the most powerful witch ever and the power is very seductive. Holly did ...more
Stephanie Rose
Feb 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I have trouble understanding why this book has a decent rating on here. I don't usually review books but there were at least 20 points in this one where the writing was so horrible it made me cringe. I honestly wish someone would have warned me not to bother with this series.

"Ok, maybe the little bitch was playing him. Then again, maybe she wasn't. He wasn't a bad package; and oh, yeah, baby, speaking of packages..."

"Then, almost in the same breath, he turned to a very young and very ambitious w
Kate Tilton
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I didn’t expect to love this book as I’ve mentioned before I’m not a huge fan of the super dark/occult stuff which many witch books can fall into. I did want to listen to this book though, because of the ending of Wicked: Witch. I had to know if Jer was still alive and if he would be with Holly.

Thankfully we do find out that Jer is still alive, but in terrible pain from the black fire. Sadly though Jer’s part in this book is very, very small. I think this is one of the reasons this book didn’t h
Marcia
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
2 1/2

Meh -- I was surpsingly disappointed by this seconed installment. I think they had way too many 'point of views' that the story was being told from, and although it wasn't confusing or 'easy to get lost' in ... It definitely was annoying to me. I don't mind one or two narrators in a story, but almost every character in this book was sharing their thoughts/actions and it was just irksome to me.

Hopefully the rest are better.
adinda widya
whoa ... cant believe that holly is being such a jerk here ....
poor jer .. poor eddie .. poor amanda .. poor tommy .. poor kialish .. poor hecate :(((
n hell yeah for michael deveraux !!!! he's getting evil haha !!!
cant wait 4 next XD
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book is hard to follow... Too many characters and hardly background to explain what they are doing.
Nicole
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
There was so much eye rolling to be had in this book. I mean, this book isn't bad, it just feels like it's...unnecessary, I guess? It hits all the clichés that these books do, so it's nothing that stands out. It was meh.

On the positive side, this book did not wimp out on having the character go to the dark side. Props to that. They went all the way there, and didn't try to take it back. That is rare and the one way this book did stand out.
emere
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
El último capítulo es el capítulo más chafa, genérico, apresurado y horrible que he leído en toooda mi existencia.

La visión del templo es preciosa, pero apresurada, las acciones no llevan a nada, la historia se queda incompleta. Necesito leer la versión original. La editorial hizo un horrible trabajo en general con (la ¿necesidad? de) compactar la historia. Me quedo sentida y enojada.

La historia es buena, pero esta mutilación en la adaptación me hace querer llorar mares.
Donna
Dec 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Curse is the sequel to Witch in the Wicked series and the only reason I read it was because the two books were combined in one. Eh. They’re cheaper that way, actually. And to be honest, I didn’t have a choice. It was either two or none.

Really, Curse was just more of the same of Wicked. There was magic, struggles with magic, angst and running. Not much happened in this story except we find that Nicole’s run off to Europe because she freaked out (the more interesting plot line, in my opinion) and
Yelania Nightwalker
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Yelania Nightwalker by: Publisher
Después de un año de la muerte de los padres de Holly, y después de todo lo sucedido en Wicked, La Bruja; el aquelarre Cathers-Anderson sobrevive con sus pocos integrantes: Holly, Amanda, Kari, Kialish, Eddie, Tommy, Cecile y Silvana. Cada día que pasa, la angustia por el regreso de Michael Deveraux, el temible enemigo de todos los tiempos de la familia Cahors.

Nicole sigue desaparecida, sin comunicarse con su hermana y su prima, intentando sobreponerse a la muerte de su madre y a los eventos qu
Doris
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Although the story synopsis states that Holly and her cousins have just graduated high school, there is no real reference to that in the story. They do talk about college, but nothing about high school. That was aggravating, but not a showstopper.

I did find that the story carried on well from the previous book, with a quick dream sequence allowing the new reader a bit of the background and reminding the returning reader not only of what has happened, but giving both a warning of what is to come.
Debra
In this second installment of the Wicked series, young Holly Cathers finds herself the head of a coven and spending her time learning spells and practicing magic. The battle between her family and the evil Devereaux family is not over. She also knows that Michael Devereaux’s youngest son Jer, who supposedly died in a fire, is alive. Convinced that they can stop Jer’s father from destroying them all if the two work together, Holly is compelled to find him. Her cousin Nicole fled to Europe to avoi ...more
Mariebel
Aug 15, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canceled
Leider breche ich nun doch den zweiten Teil der Witch-Serie ab. Ich hatte Hoffnung auf eine Steigerung im zweiten Band, kann aber keine Besserung zum ersten Band erkennen. Verwirrender Schreibstil, teilweise sehr flache Gefühlswelten usw. Von der auf dem Cover groß angekündigten Lovestory kann ich überhaupt nichts spüren.

Es geht hauptsächlich um diffuse Verhexungen von Michael, der Holly und ihre Cousinen töten will. Ab und zu gibt es dann unspektakuläre Rückblicke in die Vergangenheit zu den V
Cathleen Ash
It's exactly a year after the rafting accident that took her parents' lives. Holly knows it was no accident, and that she, a witch from a long line of witches, is in extreme danger from a family of warlocks that has had a blood feud with her family for over 600 years. Holly has learned and grown in her witchcraft, living with her Aunt in Seattle and her two cousins, who help practice. She hadn't learned enough, though to save the person she loved from the Black Fire, to save her cousin Nicole fr ...more
Speakercoret
3,5 *

baca buku kedua membuat gw bingung untuk suka apa engga ma holly... what she did to hecate makes me wonder... it just doesnt seems right... katanya darah lebih kental dr air, tapi keputusan yang diambil holly di akhir cerita ini tidak mencerminkan itu.. pengorbanan demi pengorbanan, mantra demi mantra, ritual demi ritual, membuat holly berubah.. akan seperti apa jadinya di akhir cerita yah..
Dan Nicole, setelah melarikan diri dari keluarga karena tidak ingin berurusan dengan sihir, tetap mem
Roxanne
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, 2013
This was my second time reading Curse. I decided to reread it because I have the bind-up of Witch and Curse and by the time I had gotten to Curse, I had kinda lost interest. I almost didn't want to give it another try because I didn't really enjoy it the first time and it has some pretty low ratings on here.

But I did and I loved it. I'm not sure that I liked it better than Witch, but I thought it was still a good sequel. Still, there are some issues with it. I couldn't get into the jumping back
EJ MACK
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Leaving the flash backs and forwards out. the story did not progress all that far. Holly is becoming more and more like her ancestors and Amanda is jealous of the love between Jer and Holly. I honestly think she does not know it but I think she unfortunately is. And Nicole is a weird balance between the two. But the story itself only went a tiny step to develop the relationships and personal personality of all the characters. Also, I don't really know who I am routing for in this book. Holly see ...more
Jess
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Holly’s has just graduated high school after a living through the deaths of many people shes loved. Simply because of her families blood line and an ancient war that has gone on for hundreds of years. I like this book better the the first because it shows how power corrupts and can bring out the dark side of people. It also shows what can happen out of desperation. Holly has become a little bit more ruthless and desperate because of the recent events she has faced. After all the lose she has fac ...more
Robyn Paxman
Oct 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I don't know how to feel about this book, the entire time it felt like act two, like nothing got resolved in the book, nothing at all! it was all build up to a potential fight, that didn't happen. and the romance aspect to it is just weird, like i don't even feel like holly and jer even like each other or just being controlled by their past lives. I liked the Nichole story, she is really growing as a character, the flashbacks to the original Cothrs are pretty cool and interesting. I'm bummed I d ...more
Angie
Curse continues the story of Holly Cathers and her witch cousins as they battle the Devereaux coven. Witch ended with Holly believing her boyfriend, Jer, had died. Curse continues the story with Holly, Amanda, and Nicole becoming stronger and adding people to their coven. Although I did like the story, there were portions that were disturbing, so I would caution younger readers or those easily triggered to tread carefully. Overall, this books helps lay the foundation for the ultimate showdown to ...more
Makayla
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another great book in this series. Holly and Jer are to die for. Their relationship and everything about this book is so complex. But totally worth the re-reading. ******Spoiler ALERT******* I'm so sad that Jer got caught in the fire and was revived, because he has to live so terribly scarred and in pain. But I know Holly will save him. She has to. I love this book and can't wait to get my hands on the next one!!!
Missy
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Much more interesting and easier to read then the first book. We get to know Nicki (who runs away after the fire) and Mandy (who stays with Holly) to take care of her father and of course Michial is back to try to kill them all. Holly falls down the wrong hole and sacrifices Helcate (Nicki's familiar) to save her friends. I was so upset by this and by how Holly is so self centered throughout the whole story. I feel like this story is missing a whole chunk of background from the last book.
Mery
Jul 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: w, p-works, w-10
Sukaaaaaaa sukaaaaaaaaaa
keren cerita yang keduanya.

Keren banget si Michael makin merajalela, Holly makin sakti. Tapi oohhh kenapa ooohhh ini buku sadis banget. :(
Vampire Academy aja segitu udah sadis, ternyata ini lebih sadis >.<

Pas baca ini sambil nonton pertandingan Spanyol gitu, hihihi soalnya ada setting di Madrid sambil berbahasa latin. hihihi berasa ngomong ama Cescy *lovestruck lovestruck*

*my proofread*
Erica Bury
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
The writing could be better but I love the story. The way it is entwined with the past covens is really unique and interesting. I am starting to get annoyed by Holly. Hectate :( Really come on! Without spoiling to much, I wanted to stop reading when "that" happened. Ughhh hated it! There was certainly a lot of growth in Amanda and Holly, some good and others not so good(Holly). Overall I am liking this series and can not wait for the next book.
Kathryn V. Cheek
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't really like this book anymore than the first one. It had a sea monster but it was only there briefly so it didn't really up the rating. I wouldn't know who the "hero" was if it didn't tell on the cover because she is almost as evil as the opposing side. I read the second one because it came with the first one but I won't buy anymore of them.
Hana Eka
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: dark, fashion, warlock, witch
#reread

Jangan tertipu dengan cover edisi terjemahan Indonesia yang lembut dan manis. Novel ini menghadirkan kekelaman dari para praktisi sihir.

Saya beri nilai 3 untuk kekelamannya serta cerita yang tetap mengalir walaupun alur dibuat maju-mundur. Saya sendiri pun membenci tokoh-tokoh wanitanya. ;p
Jessica (BookRockGoddess) Bolton
May 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-on-cd
I am very taken with this series it has so much going on. It has many aspects of Romeo and Juliet. It has the star crossed lovers, the fueding families and the fighting. This book has all that and magic. It is well worth reading.
Dolores
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
I honestly would have given this over a higher rating because it was as good as the first one, maybe even better. BUT there was a section that really bothered me, made me not want to continue reading. so for that alone, I have a lower star.
Raina Lie
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: collection
duh... kok kurang greget ya?
Victor
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I get a bit dizzy by the sudden change on times and points of view during the book but I like the story so far... looking forward to read book 3
  • As You Wish (Time of Transition, #2)
  • The Black Diamond (Black Diamond, #2)
  • Hoodoo Money, First Edition
  • Azufre y Sal
  • Stealing Kevin's Heart
  • El complot mongol
  • Shadow Touch (Shadow Touch, #1)
  • Settling (Solid, #2)
  • Reign of the Dead
  • The Lady Killer (Lady Spies, #2)
  • One Wicked Sin (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #2)
  • Hungry For You
  • Tempted At Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #4)
  • Max
  • Inked
  • Somewhere in Between (1Night Stand, #35)
  • Instructing Adam
  • Unmasqued: An Erotic Novel of The Phantom of The Opera (Seducing the Classics, #1)
Nancy Holder, New York Times Bestselling author of the WICKED Series, has just published CRUSADE - the first book in a new vampire series cowritten with Debbie Viguie. The last book her her Possession series is set to release in March 2011.

Nancy was born in Los Altos, California, and her family settled for a time in Walnut Creek. Her father, who taught at Stanford, joined the navy and the family t
More about Nancy Holder

Wicked (5 books)
  • Witch (Wicked, #1)
  • Legacy (Wicked, #3)
  • Spellbound (Wicked, #4)
  • Resurrection (Wicked, #5)

Young Adult Deals

• A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • This Is the Story of You
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Don't Get Caught
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • So B. It
    $6.74 $1.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Girls on Fire
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1)
  • Kat and Meg Conquer the World
  • What to Say Next
  • We Are Okay
    $10.99 $2.99
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Run (Kaitan Chronicles, #1)
  • The Memory Book
  • Holding Up the Universe
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
  • Salt to the Sea
  • The Truth Beneath the Lies
  • Now Is Everything
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Reader (Sea of Ink and Gold)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire
  • If There's No Tomorrow
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Words on Bathroom Walls
  • American Street
  • The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy #1)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress #1)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Hunted
  • Words in Deep Blue
  • Daughter of the Burning City
  • Wax
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Delphi Effect (The Delphi Trilogy #1)
  • The Pants Project