Start by marking “Aftercare Instructions” as Want to Read:
Aftercare Instructions

Aftercare Instructions

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  799 Ratings  ·  277 Reviews
It’s what we do after the hurt that matters.

“Troubled.” That’s seventeen-year-old Genesis Johnson, according to her small New Jersey town. She finds refuge and stability in her relationship with her boyfriend, Peter—until he abandons her at a Planned Parenthood clinic during their appointment to terminate an unwanted pregnancy. The betrayal causes Gen to question everythin
Published June 27th 2017 by Flatiron Books

Larry H
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd rate this 4.5 stars.

Sometimes a character, and by extension, a book, wears its heart on its sleeve. You just can't help but be moved by what the author puts their character through, and you think about what it might be like for those actually dealing with these situations. Such was the case for me with Bonnie Pipkin's wonderful new book, Aftercare Instructions . I found it thanks to an advertisement on Goodreads, and I don't think I'll get it out of my head anytime soon.

"Sometimes you make
Dash fan
4☆ A Coming of Age Story

Aftercare Instructions is a story of heartache, coming of age, abortion, friendship and family.

At first l wasn't too sure about the style of writing. It's written as half an account from Genesis after her abortion and the other half is written as a drama play with acts and scenes. It took me a while to get used to is as I was getting a lil confused.

I didn't particularly like the play script sections I thought the writing was strong enough without adding the use of a scrip
destiny ☠ howling libraries
When I first heard about this book, I knew I had to snatch it up, because I can't say that I've ever read a YA contemporary book that was willing to tackle abortion as a main topic - especially not in a pro-choice lighting. As a tremendous advocate for keeping one person's opinions out of another person's uterus, I was almost a little bit wary - would this book be problematic? Would it highlight abortion as an act of evil, or a move of desperation from a teenage girl not yet fit for motherhood?

I
Kathleen Glasgow
An incredibly brave book that examines abortion, grief, adolescent relationships, and heartbreak in a timely and authentic way.
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

*Disclaimer: An ARC of Aftercare Instructions by Bonnie Pipkin was provided to me by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars rated up.

Initial Post Reading Thoughts:

Wow. This book was amazing. Super fast paced while also dealing with some really dark and hard hitting topics. It was so beautifully written and it felt like it came straight from the heart of the author. This is definitely one that's worth che
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

4.5*

First, I must say, the topic of abortion is one that is woefully unspoken about in most books. I love that the author and publisher took such a heavy, important topic and channeled it into a really responsible, well-thought out novel. Lest we get into some kind of political/religious debate, no one enjoys talking about this sort of thing, but unintended pregnancies are a real part of
Kelly
I wouldn't put this in the camp of "like Jandy Nelson and Rainbow Rowell" at all when it comes to contemporary YA. It's got more edge than either of them and it's got less literary angling than Nelson. There's also virtually no quirkiness nor witty banter a la Rowell. So don't go in expecting that. If that comp is code for THIS IS CONTEMPORARY REALISTIC FICTION there are so many better comps. Siobhan Vivian, maybe? Amy Reed? CK Kelly Martin? Trish Doller?

This is an excellent debut novel about a
Bookread2day
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seventeen year old Gen is taken taken by her boyfriend to clinic to have an abortion. After her obortion she expected Peter to come and collect her, but he has disappeared. A page turner with a heartbreaking story. I definitely recommend reading this book. Find Aftercare Instructions by Bonnie Pipkin at Legend Press. The blog tour banner is amazing for this book, you can see it on my blog site favouritenovels.wordpress.com or Twitter@ favouritenovels
Julie
This was beautiful and fun and full of imperfect characters and the importance of friendship and I LOVE what it adds to the conversation in YA.
Hannah
I received this via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

I am a broken human. Genesis and her story have absolutely broken me.

This book is a beautiful exploration of mental health, death, addiction, teen pregnancy, abortion, love, heartbreak, friendship & family and I love it.

It's raw and it's gritty and it's hard to read at times but it's worth it. I laughed and cried. I was angry and thrilled. I loved and hated characters.

This book will make you think and it will make you feel and
kb
UNPOPULAR OPINION COMING THROUGH!

(view spoiler)
Mel (Epic Reading)
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-netgalley
I'm tempted to give this 5 stars just because Bonnie Pipkin was willing to take on the topic of teenage abortion. However moving, realistic and moving this book might be it didn't bring me to tears; and while I'm not one to cry easily at all a five star book of this sort probably would have gotten me there. The ending is a bit too weak for me given the harsh content of the overall book.

Aftercare Instructions is set-up in a clever way. The past is read as screenplay entries and the present as fi
Dylan
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy and appreciate this novel.

This is a really great narrative on abortion and how you never know what someone is going through and it's not your choice to say what someone can do with their body.

I don't really have any qualms with this book, I just can't give it a full five stars for some reason. I would highly recommend, though.
Christy
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Messy and beautiful. I finished this one in a day. Full review soon.
Ali (the bandar blog)
See more amazing (!!) reviews like this one at the bandar blog.

This is a quick-paced, easy-to-read, YA contemporary novel about a young girl who is abandoned by her boyfriend at Planned Parenthood while she has an abortion. While I did enjoy the novel and the emotional journey that Gen (our main character) goes through, I did not find the book as poignant as some of the novels that are in the same genre (Eleanor & Park, I’ll Give You the Sun).

What I liked:

1. I did enjoy the rawness and expli
Dahlia
Still trying to figure out what to say about this book, but I do know that in a time it seems impossible for me to focus on reading anything (hence being behind on my GR challenge for the first time in forever and also Currently Reading 400 books), I was totally sneaking reads of this one when I should've been getting dressed to go out, and sped through it like I haven't through anything in a longass time.
Allison
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely wonderful, but it's not out til Summer 2017 so I'll hold off on a rating/review until the fall at least!
Tirzah Price
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read an early copy of this novel, and it is a brave, bold, beautiful story. I couldn't put it down.
Kelly Gunderman
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, favorites
Check out this and other reviews on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

"The Thing I Wish I'd Known:
-I love you doesn't come with any guarantees."

Aftercare Instructions was one of those books that I went into expecting to like, but not love as much as I did. It was probably one of the best books that I've read in 2017, and maybe one of the most emotional novels that I've read to date. It's not the kind of book that had me crying the entire time that I read it, but it was on
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars. Review to come.
Laurence R.
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-review
I really liked this book! It feels very realistic and I've never been in a situation like Genesis's, so it was very interesting to read about that. The story about Genesis's mother disappointed me, though, because I can't believe that someone could lie about something so important (hopefully that's not too spoilery).
Shannon Wise
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017, ya
I do not think I can say enough great things about this book. I do not think I can quantify how much I loved it. Aftercare Instructions is the story of Genesis Johnson, who is a senior in high school. Her father has died of a heroin overdose - which the entire school has found about. Her mother is not recovering from her father's death. Her sister lives with her mom's religious parents. Her life is her best friend, Rose, and her boyfriend, Peter, whose mother us uber religious and uber judgmenta ...more
Kerri
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. The first chapter of this book made me go "YES THIS IS GOING TO BE AMAZING" but it sadly did not quite live up to my own hype. This book had so much promise! But I feel like there were a couple of real issues with it that made my enjoyment dwindle steadily as each chapter went on. The first was that the voice was all over the place. One chapter it was your contemporary voice, the next it was almost stream of consciousness. I would imagine that the author wanted to tie this in with Gen ...more
rachel 007
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sdb-edited
What an important and powerful book. Wow.

EDIT: It's taken me some time to think about what I want to say about Bonnie Pipkin's debut. It is a suckerpunch of a novel, a look at how Genesis' decision affects her, her boyfriend, her life, and her actions. It's not about pregnancy or abortion, it's not a pro-abortion or pro-life book (though I mean she gets an abortion so there is that), it's about religion and friendship and grief and love. All kinds of love: friendship and romance and familial. I
Chelsey
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
When Genesis walks into the Planned Parenthood in Manhattan, she knows her life will never be the same. What she doesn't expect is that her boyfriend, Peter, will not be there waiting for her when she walks out. But Peter has deserted her at the time she needs him most, setting off a week that is unpredictable, emotional, and cathartic. Genesis will never be the same, but is that for the better?

This was a book that took some getting used to, but it explores some really tough issues in a very aut
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Full review to come closer to release date on Books and Ladders !

This was really enjoyable and I loved the story and the characters but I wasn't a huge fan of the format with the flashbacks being in script. I think I would have enjoyed it more without that aspect. But I still really liked it!
Danielle Guzzardi
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, first-reads
Cristina (Girl in the Pages)
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Aftercare Instructions is the book we need in YA.

It's an honest, vulnerable, frank, and succinct story about family, relationships, and yes, abortion. But it's not an issue book about abortion. It's a book about the aftermath, or aftercare, about the thousands of decisions that happen in a family, in a friendship, in a relationship that lead to a single moment or pivotal point. It's about a person being made of so much more than one action that defines them. It's a true coming of age novel that'
Marcia
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cried happy and sad and horrified. And I loved it the whole way through.
Amanda
My reviews are first published on [a cup of tea and an armful of books]. This is an upcoming release!

Ever since the death of her father, Genesis has had to take on more than the average seventeen-about-to-turn-eighteen girl should have to. When her mother fell into a depression after her father’s death, Genesis took on the responsibility of taking care of her family. She can’t just leave her mother to her grief. But then Genesis gets pregnant. It’s not how she expected her year to go–pregnancy i
Bonnie Pipkin believes in prose, performances, puppet shows, and public displays of affection. Originally from California, Bonnie now lives in Brooklyn. She has an MFA from Vermont College of Fine Arts, teaches literature courses at Kean University, officiates weddings, and looks after a very cute cat. Aftercare Instructions is Bonnie’s first novel.
More about Bonnie Pipkin

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Tell The Wolves I'm Home
    $12.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows