Start by marking “The F Word” as Want to Read:
The F Word

The F Word

At once a funny, whip-smart sendup of Los Angeles culture and an irresistible love story, internationally bestselling author Liza Palmer's The F Word is a novel about how sometimes who we become isn't who we really are.

We re all pushing some version of the life we want you to believe. It s all just PR.

Olivia Morten is perfect. Maybe her high-flying publicist job has
Published April 25th 2017 by Flatiron Books

To ask other readers questions about The F Word, please sign up.
Obsidian No this is not a young adult book.
Erika Santoro Yes. There is a lot about self love but ultimately, a love story.

Elyse Walters
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Library ebook ....overdrive download:

I was expecting this to be a light fun read. I suppose it does fall into the comic/tragic genre....
which it was more 'comic' .....than 'tragic'.....for me....
but the topic is one that 'might' be a trigger for overweight women - or anyone who has once been overweight...(severely) .... but isn't any longer.

The main character has been married for 10 years. She is thin. She has sex with her husband..... but he has never seen her completely naked. What he doesn
☽ TheBibliotheque
May 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
"No matter how much weight I lost, I realized I never learned how to simply look at my naked body. Just look at it. Not glance at it, or wince at it. Not pick it apart or judge it. Not groan at it or berate it. Just simply look at it. I am an expert in focusing only on what I perceive to be grotesque and I can target a single flaw with the sterile ruthlessness of an assassin's bullet. So, when I think about walking into those communal showers utterly nude, I can only laugh."

So much potential...
Obsidian
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Please note that I received this book via Goodreads Giveaway. Also note that this will have spoilers from Conversations With The Fat Girl.

Well. That happened. I have been so excited about the follow up to "Conversations With The Fat Girl" that I kept checking my mail everyday. I finished this yesterday and needed some time to put my thoughts together. "The F Word" focuses on Olivia Marten that readers were introduced to in the prior book. It's been ten years since Olivia's wedding and she's cont
Myleik
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This summer I was on the hunt for a mindless page-turner and that's exactly what this was. I really enjoyed it. Finished in two days!
Robin Morgan
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-own-books
I’d received an ARC [Advanced Reader’s Copy] print of this book from the author’s publisher through a giveaway they had on GoodReads, and the following is my honest opinion.

How many of you reading this review have hoped that you could be, no matter how small, better looking than you are currently are; hoped for a drop-dead-gorgeous husband with a wonderfully professional; hoped for friends with some form of intelligence. Quite a few? Right !!!

If you happen to fit into one of the above categorie
♥Booklish Reviews♥
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Release date: April 25, 2016
Pre order THE F-WORD

First off, let me say this book is for all the ladies who cringe when reminded of their high school experience. (And I'm not talking "cringe" at the high school fashion either.) This is for every woman who wanted the "it guy" or was told she was "too fat" and mocked and ridiculed.
That's right.
This one's for you, boo.

Without knowing it, Liza Palmer has created a manual that every man (and woman) should be REQUIRED to read before stepping foot bac
Brie
I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads contest.

I would say it is 3 and 1/2 stars. It is chick lit and it does have a few clunky moments. The writing could have been smoother. It was an interesting story though not one that I could relate to in any way. Not a bad read overall.
Reading in Black & White
"What I didn't tell Brenda is that I know. I've known it all along. And not just about this last woman Adam is cheating on me with. I've known about all of them. I just didn't want anyone else to know."

Olivia in a way was like most women that are in a marriage with a partner that plays the part but really isn't in the game anymore. She begins to do a ton of self-reflection after running into someone from high school and we see her go on a journey to figure out if her new and improved image is tr
Amy
Apr 23, 2017 rated it liked it
The "F" word in question here is not the one you might expect, nor is there only one. In fact, the title of this book very well could be The F Words.

Olivia Morten is a successful Hollywood publicist and is married to a gorgeous, successful E.R. doctor. They live in a beautiful home, drive beautiful cars, and have beautiful friends. She's living the dream, isn't she?

Over the course of a few months, though, Olivia realizes that her life is far from a show piece. For one thing, there is a fact from
Eva • All Books Considered
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted at All Books Considered: 3.5 STARS

I started off not loving this one - so many #firstworldproblems - because I just couldn't connect to the story or the characters. But, about half way through, we got a better sense of Olivia and I appreciated her dimensions. What didn't work for me in this book were the descriptions of Olivia's job (she does PR for celebrities) because I seriously didn't care; I didn't care about uber famous actors and their petty shit and I could not
AngryGreyCat
May 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
The F Word here is not what you think, it is fat. Apparently, there was a book prior to this one and perhaps if I would have read it I would have more understanding of the background of the characters. As it was, I read this as a standalone. This is a basic chick lit novel, attempting to elevate itself by including issues of self-image, the treatment of fat people, particularly women, bullying, infidelity, and women’s struggle to “have it all”. – Spoiler Alert –

Basically, Olivia was once the fat
Arielle
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
So am I supposed to believe (spoiler alert) it took 10 years for Olivia Morten to realize her life is a lie? The same Olivia Morten we met in Conversations With the Fat Girl, for whom appearances were worth blowing up everything else? Nuh-uh.
It would be one thing if (more spoilers) Adam's extra-curricular activities had come as a surprise. But, no. She knew, and had known for the entire time they were together. The idea that he'd get it out of his system, then they'd have kids and all would be w
Isabel
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"There's the truth and there's the lie that people want to believe." I really enjoyed this book. Felt like a John Hughes movie to me. I can still hear secret garden playing in my mind. Did I want to throttle Olivia? Hell yes. Did I want to tell her she deserved better and she was crazy? I sure did but I kept reading and it all worked out the way I needed it. I needed this book today, this week, this month.
The Caffeinated Scribbler
Review originally posted on Cuppa Novels

I’m not sure what made me decide to download this book from the BK Library, but I’m glad I did. It’s good to read books outside our comfort zones. The F Word was interesting. I disliked the voice of the main character, didn’t agree with majority of said character’s viewpoints, but loved being immersed in Liza Palmer’s world.

The F Word follows Olivia Morten, a successful publicist working in LA with a glamorous life. Or so everyone else thinks. Her husband
Faye Arcand
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Liza Palmer has penned an in your head rollercoaster ride about a former fat girl who "succeeds" in life. The book was fast paced, easy to read, and thought provoking.
I read this book as a stand alone (I've now found out that there was a previous book with the same characters). Doesn't matter. For me the book resonated with the truths, pain, and self loathing that some feel when they've yet to find themselves.
She seems to have it all--great job, money, handsome hubby--but in reality has lost he
Erika Santoro
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had such a blast reading this book. No, you aren't sensing sarcasm! I continued to laugh out loud because Olivia Morten's character is purely hysterical. It's not all fun and games in Olivia's world  though, she has recently been struggling with her past after creating a new life for herself over the past 10 years. Why is this happening to Olivia? Could it be the run in with her high school nemesis/crush? Or is this something more internal?...

The was this book was written was so easy to read.
Kim
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I usually love Liza Palmer novels. I appreciate her heroines, who are often not easy to love, who aren't afraid of showing their frustrating sides. This is also true for The F Word. However, the build up of her impromptu reunion with Ben Dunn and what happens later doesn't really live up to the promise. The story itself is page-turning, but the ending is so abrupt...I felt like I'd missed something, so I re-read the last few chapters, and still had that feeling.

Julia Fierro
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this book so much. Fun, entertaining, but also a meaningful examination of what it means to be a woman, particularly in LA's image-obsessed culture. I can't wait to read more of Palmer's work. She is an important and authentic literary voice.
Apr 05, 2017 added it
I think I need to rewrite Conversations now. Liza's books are the best, though.
Aura
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: chiclit, beach-read
I took this book to the beach today and enjoyed this light chic lit story. Olivia, a heavy girl in high school, now in her twenties loses the weight and seemingly has a successful life with career and a good looking doctor husband. However, losing the weight was only part of the transformation, Olivia has to deal with her "fat girl" inside. Enjoyable fast light beach read.
Georgia Clark
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Liza Palmer is a road warrior of contemporary fiction.
Susan
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: women-s-fiction
Liza Palmer is one of my favorite women’s fiction authors. Lately, unfortunately, a lot of the quirkiness that made books like Nowhere But Home and A Field Guide to Burying Your Parents so rewarding has been exorcised from her writing. From the minute former fat girl turned skinny, successful publicist Olivia Morten runs into her old nemesis/crush Ben Dunn in the first chapter of The F Word, you know that the careful facade she has constructed for the past twenty years will crack like an eggshel ...more
David
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
“There’s the truth and then there’s the lie that people want to believe…”

Olivia Morten is an LA Publicist whose life would appear to be perfect. She has a perfect job, a perfect husband, and to all appearances, everything has taken a complete 180 from her days as an overweight girl in the local high school. Then one day she runs into Ben, an old crush from her fat days who forces her to question her transformation into this “new and improved” Olivia. This one meeting starts a snowball effect in
Rhonda Lomazow
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A delicious smart novel full of laughs a novel that draws you into LA.The land of perfect bodies constant pressure to be beautiful.
Sheilah
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! It was fun and mostly honest. Some lines really resonate. However, my question is this: could Olivia’s ending been just as rewarding if it had gone in a different direction?
Selena
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved, Loved, Loved this book. Book that makes you look back at your years in High School. Makes you think about what you did that might have impacted others or what was done to you that impacted your life after High School. Beautiful writing, heart warming, some sadness and a ton of humor. Great read.
Marie-Therese Yokum
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun and light read
Meags
May 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
TL;DR: FORMERLY OVERWEIGHT WOMAN IS PLAGUED BY HIGH SCHOOL BROKEN HEART

***

THE STORY:
Finishing this book was a struggle.

I'm not totally sure if it's because the 'women's fiction but not romance' genre, otherwise known as chick lit, is just not for me anymore, or if the book is actually not that good. I didn't connect with any of it, and not because the gist of the story wasn't interesting. It's because the actual story fell very flat for me, mostly because I kept getting pulled out of it by visce
A.D. Green
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
The F-word offers an in-depth view on Olivia Morten’s curated life, which she had spent more than ten years to build in order to ultimately become someone else. Someone whose life would be envied and desired from an outsider glance, but in fact, it’s very far from it, because it’s all a make-believe. The novel develops as her life quickly starts to crumble.

Olivia is a visibly successful PR professional, in charge of damage control and working day and night to help Hollywood stars keep their ima
Susan Libanio
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Liza Palmer, a very gifted writer, examines the issues that haunt all of us in our daily lives. Society's expectations, and how we conform to them - or choose not to. The consequences of conformity, or deciding to go your own road. Olivia has been on both sides of the fence of social acceptance, and somehow lost herself on the well traveled road of "fitting in" and being one of the "beautiful people". Olivia decides that she doesn't like herself anymore, that she has to release the fat girl she ...more
Liza Palmer is the internationally bestselling author of Conversations with the Fat Girl , which has been optioned for series by HBO.

Library Journal said Palmer’s “blend of humor and sadness is realistic and gripping,..”

After earning two Emmy nominations writing for the first season of VH1’s Pop Up Video, she now knows far too much about Fergie.

Palmer’s fifth novel, Nowhere but Home, is about a f
“But, it’s not like I ever let my guard down. It’s not like I ever feel safe in this new life. I am an interloper obsessed with honing my facade. I’ve built my entire life—my new life—around keeping my past a secret. My husband knows bits and pieces, but even the little bits he knows have been reshaped and colored by my persistent rewriting and massaging of the “facts.” I shudder to think what would happen if he knew the truth of who I was. The whole truth.” 1 likes
“Congratulations, Caroline Lang! Your test scores look great and you’ve clearly learned from this experience. We are granting you admission to the next phase of your life. You are now relieved of any and all feelings you once had for your ex-husband.” I speak in as newscastery a voice as I can. Caroline laughs. “Please see admissions about the lovely man who’s been assigned to take you on an adventurous romp through the exotic locale of your choice. While you’re there you will be able to gaze out onto the body of water of your choosing as you cry sublimely, remembering what you’ve endured.” 0 likes