Start by marking “Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)” as Want to Read:
Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)

Proven Guilty

(The Dresden Files #8)

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  94,812 ratings  ·  2,471 reviews
Harry Dresden is the only wizard in the Chicago phone book. He consults from the police department on those so-called "unusual" cases. He's even been on talk shows. So there's no love lost between Harry and the White Council of Wizards, who find him a little brash and undisciplined. But now war with the vampires has thinned the ranks of wizards, and the White Council needs ...more
Published March 4th 2010 by Hachette UK (first published February 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Proven Guilty, please sign up.
Brian
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jaan Eerik Sõmermaa I mean Dresden himself yet does not know in this book. The Black Council as an entity to fight only really starts to play a bigger role in the end of…moreI mean Dresden himself yet does not know in this book. The Black Council as an entity to fight only really starts to play a bigger role in the end of this book. Later books expand on this. Though a full explanation has yet to reveal itself. (less)

·  94,812 ratings  ·  2,471 reviews

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

So wonderful, it hurts.

This series on audiobook is TO DIE FOR! It keeps getting better and better, and I'm hooked beyond hope. I love you, Harry Dresden, and I love Jim Butcher for his brilliant mind.
Lyn
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 8th book in Jim Butcher’s fantastic Dresden Files series, Proven Guilty, first published in 2006, is a more sedate, brooding and dark entry.

No doubt Butcher’s page turning, fast paced first person narrative, corny humor and ubiquitous and fun cultural and pop references abound as in other Dresden books, but this one seems more introspective and more attuned to story and character development.

There’s plenty of action, don’t get me wrong, Harry’s ability to use Hellfire is again explored and t
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
If the charge is writing one of the best Harry Dresden novels yet, then Jim Butcher has just been Proven Guilty!

As a practicing wizard, Harry Dresden has always been troubled by the methods of his bosses in the White Council. But since becoming a Warden and witnessing the Council's methods firsthand...now he's outright disgusted by them! When someone is caught practicing black magic, rather then considering rehabilitation for the practitioner, the Council prefers to simply cut the dark wizard of
Luffy
May 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, well, well. My, my, my. This book illustrates perfectly why I'm safe from being a die hard fan of any author. I don't have a shred of loyalty towards my favorite authors, and I wear that attitude like a badge of honor. Most of the Dresden books I've read so far have scored well. Because of that, I believe that Jim Butcher doesn't need to punch above his weight to write a damn good book. He is frighteningly talented. So what happened here?

I'm not alone in finding Proven Guilty a mediocre
Lindsey Rey
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, fantasy
[4.5 Stars]
Amazing start, even-more-amazing finish, but it definitely got dull in the middle so I couldn't give it a full 5 stars.
Heidi The Reader
The wizard Harry Dresden continues to anger the White Council, the Red Court of Vampires, the winter court of the Fey and pretty much everyone else in the universe. He and Bob have a new (dangerous) project in his work space. He's worried about his half-brother, Thomas, who has been acting kind of weird and may or may not be feeding off of people again. He and Murphy are starting to talk about their interesting relationship and there's a fallen angel in the concrete of his house. Could things ge ...more
Angela
Wonderful read. This series just gets better and better and I love how there are now so many secondary characters that get revolved between the various books. It makes the series that little bit more compelling as when you start the book you're not 100% sure who is going to be in it.

It felt to me like there was a lot of foreshadowing in this one. Ultimately how powerful is Harry going to become?
Tosh
I’m gonna say it again...the series just keeps getting better! I know - told ya so’s are in order, but I have to tell you that those first few books weren’t all that convincing. Not that they were bad mind you, but I didn’t feel much for the characters other than a very shallow interest. Mostly, I kept reading to satisfy a mild curiosity to see how Harry would solve his next case - oh and I was being pressured by a longtime fan. Twisted my arm, she did.

But now, these last few books I’ve been rea
William Thomas
Jim Butcher is a creep. And not the cool kind of creep like Bukowski that you romanticize, but like Ezra from 'Pretty Little Liars' kind of creep. Seriously, Butcher, I'm not putting this one on Harry. The last few pages of this book made my skin crawl. Sexualizing an underage character and Harry blatantly lusting after her and beating himself up over it and trying to moralize it is just... awful. But like I said, this isn't Harry. This is some weird thing Jim Butcher has going on in his head. W ...more
Audrey

This was a great addition to the Dresden Files. The first half is about fighting a phobo-phage at a horror convention, but it turns out there is more going on than just a monster. This gives the story an interesting twist. The story is well structured with good pacing.

Side characters feature Michael’s family, though Michael himself is mostly absent. Bob also has some great lines. Excellent audio narration by James Marsters.
Deborah Markus
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
6 Super-Quick, New-Year's-Eve-And-I-Have-To-Finish-This-Year's-Reading-Challenge Reasons I Finally Gave A Harry Dresden Novel Five Flippin' Stars

1. Harry eased way the heck up on the two things that always make me roll my eyes in Dresden File novels: the obligatory "People don't believe in the supernatural these days" speech (yeah, that happened), and the "Women are different from men and I'm a way nice guy for being extra-protective of women" scene.

2. I was genuinely spooked by one scene, and t
Will M.
The audiobook version of this series is really good. Terrific narrator, and this novel almost made me give the book a 5 star rating, but it's still lacking a bit more. Can't wait to listen to the next novel, or maybe read it.
Israt Zaman Disha
Comparing with the previous book of the series, I found it a little less thrilling. But I can make peace with that. Harry Dresden doesn't always need earth collapsing disasters or dangers. He is a mortal after all. Well whatever that was stake in this story was no less important to him. Overall a good story. But after the seventh book my expectation was bound to be high. So I am guessing my rating is a little biased. Maybe I would give it a 4 if I had not read the previous one.
Patrick
Another awesome adventure!
☕️Kimberly
Narrated by James Marsters Proven Guilty offered an intense, sometimes heartfelt story and engaging mystery. Take my hand, we're off to Never, Neverland.

Harry has his hands full with the White Council, the Red Court of Vampires and the Winter Court of the Fey. Thomas has been acting strange and won't share with Harry. But, an assignment investigating the use of dark magic in Chicago soon brings more problems for our wizard.

When Harry gets a call from Molly Carpenter, the daughter of his friend M
fleurette
The beginning of this story is rather slow, but I generally enjoyed it quite a lot. Maybe I was just in mood for something like this or maybe this addition to the Dresden series is one of the better ones because I find it somehow more interesting than the previous books.

I think that the whole story is not as dark as some other books in this series and I really like it. And still, the story is very eventful and with lot of action. The plot is complicated and well-developed.

I truly enjoyed this b
Em Lost In Books
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2000-09, 2014, 4-star
this book starts with Harry witnessing an execution of a black magic practitioner. Then he gets a warning about something dangerous is about to happen in Chicago. Harry has to find what is about to happen and stop it. if all that is not enough Molly Carpenter, his friend Michael’s daughter, ask him to come and bail out her friend. And thats where Harry finds himself in knee deep shit.

Now these books in the series are at a point where I can not discuss the story without giving spoilers about pre
Carolyn
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

I love Harry Dresden and I love this series but this book felt like a bit of a filler. It didn't seem to move the overall story along very much and nothing new about Harry himself was revealed. The war against the Red Court of vampires and the White Council of wizards is still raging but it's mostly happening in the background and Harry is only peripherally involved. Instead Harry, now a Warden, is involved in tracking down whoever is using black magic to terrify and hurt people attending a horr
Ashley
September 2017 re-read: Most of this book is muchly good, but I do have one substantial complaint. But more on that later.

As I re-read this series, I continue to enjoy it much more than I did the first time through. I'm not going to rehash why (combo of knowing all the characters now and where they end up, along with catching things I didn't the first time through). Just assume the same things I've said for books four through seven also apply here.

Most of this book is spent with Harry adjusting
Justyna
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of my favourite of Dresden Files. There are several books in the series that are better than Proven Guilty, but still, this one is quite strong and very enjoyable.

Harry is now a part of the White Council and a Warden, and I really enjoyed seeing how he adjusted to his new role. After reading how he always got into troubles with the White Council, it was interesting to see him as a part of it...not that he didn't get into trouble with them again;) But that wasn't really his faul
Becky
Another great edition in this series. I'm terrible at writing reviews of in-progress series books, and I think I'm running out of ways to say that I love Harry Dresden, because I just finished this book and I'm completely at a loss as to what the heck to say about it.

Except that I love Harry Dresden. But we knew that, didn't we?

I did really enjoy coming back to Harry's world, and despite the 2 1/2 month gap between finishing Dead Beat and starting Proven Guilty, I picked up right where I left
Skylar Phelps
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full Stars! And quite possibly my favorite of the series yet. Maybe.

The quick action and standard Dresden episodical feel were sidelined a little bit, or at least that’s how I felt, as there was less of a clear cut villain to defeat and more of a sinister overarching conspiracy that Harry realizes he’s been thrown into and has to puzzle answers together piece by piece while still fighting with everything he’s got to protect his friends and the innocent people of Chicago.

Proven Guilty is satisfy
Alex O'Connor
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best Dresden File yet! I love these books. They are so fun, and the mythology is so deep. These are my go-to books for turning off my brain and giving me a break from work. Definitely excited for book 9.
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
Proven Guilty is book eight in The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

It never rains, but it pours. This one was full of black magic, faeries, ghost and more. Harry is adjusting to his new role as Warden, doing the right thing and enforcing the laws of magic don’t always go together and a bit of tough love proceeds. So much happens and the surprises keep coming.

Harry gets help from an unlikely source, Charity. Also Thomas and Murphy come along on this adventure. The war is still going on, but things
Richard
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
6/10

This was a disappointing entry after the outstanding last novel, Dead Beat (a series high), where the main plot didn't get its grips into me at all and it was only at the end where things went back to the usual high standards of the series.

Don't get me wrong, this was business as usual in the Dresden world; fighting demonic factions, a humorous setting for grizzly murders, sexual tension with Harry and Murphy on the intimacy merry go round, Bob and Mouse for some light relief and heroic acti
C.W.
Just a whole lot of fun, and though not quite as good as the one before it, still pushing the series forward into some interesting new territory. Can't wait to see how the consequences of what happened in this one effects what comes next.
Iryna *Book and Sword*
When I think of urban fantasy genre Butcher's name is always the very first that pops into my mind, so I guess you can't really rival with that. The man is good.

I picked up book #8 after almost a 2 year hiatus from Dresden Files (not on purpose or anything) and man the way he catches the reader up with everything is phenomenal. I had no trouble remembering who is who and what has happened! Kudos, Butcher, kudos!

Dresden files is always a great and fun read for me. When I'm in the slump I pick u
David Sven
I'm guessing anyone who's gotten to book 8 of this series is already a hard core Dresden fan and it gets harder to criticize the small stuff. I mean, it's got Harry Dresden in it - and James Marster is the narrator. Nuff said. But compared to the last book this fell a little flat for me.

I think part of it is that there is no real antagonist/arch enemy in the plot. Sure, there is a lot of bad stuff happening. There's black magic in town and as a Regional Commander in the Wardens it's Harry's job
Jilly
Sometimes I get tired of being the guy who is supposed to deal with un-deal-withable situations.

(I just found another reason I like Harry - his penchant for making up his own words. That's totally my thing! I find that adding an -ness and -ish to words that shouldn't have them is helpful.)

wiggle eyebrows photo: 0de30684.gif

Anyway....
In this exciting episode, Harry is assigned to find out information from the Fae courts, who is practicing black magic, and catch the person or thing responsible for sending out creepy monsters t

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Madhouse (Cal Leandros, #3)
  • Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5)
  • Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5)
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
  • Magic City: Recent Spells
“I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family.” 1269 likes
“You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me.” 253 likes