Start by marking “The Memory Book” as Want to Read:
The Memory Book

The Memory Book

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  5,947 ratings  ·  1,189 reviews
“They tell me that my memory will never be the same, that I'll start forgetting things. At first just a little, and then a lot. So I'm writing to remember.”

Samantha McCoy has it all mapped out. First she's going to win the national debating championship, then she's going to move to New York and become a human rights lawyer. But when Sammie discovers that a rare disease i
Published January 26th 2017 by Hachette (first published July 5th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Memory Book, please sign up.
Jans6ever Very sad. I would say it is even more optimistic, but the book is about a fatal chronic illness, so expect very strong emotions.
Dyann
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  5,947 ratings  ·  1,189 reviews

Lola

I feel a little sad and empty right now. I think I was watching a movie before I decided to finish The Memory Book—what was it?—but now I don’t feel like it anymore…

This was my first time reading about dementia. Everything I thought I knew about the illness turned out to be damn wrong and stereotyped. Boy was I wrong.

Dementia doesn’t necessarily kill a person—physically—but it does kill their memories, and so, because Sammie wants to fight that, wants to still remember, she started writ
C.G. Drews
I'M NOT CRYING. YOU'RE CRYING.

Okay, truly, this was such a good book. It made me sniffle. I could actually feel the ghosts of tears deep in my eyeballs (spoiler: I do not actually cry while reading; but sometimes I feel like it). It was so so SO well written and emotional and the characters....ohhhh my gosh. You know how complex, dimensional, interesting characters can absolutely MAKE a book? They made this book. I wish to hug it MANY MANY TIMES.

Yes this is an "illness" book. It's about Niemann-
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
If you're reading this, you're probably wondering who you are...
You are me, Samantha Agatha McCoy, in the not-so-distant future. I'm writing his for you. They say my memory will never be the same, that I'll start forgetting things. At first just a little, and then a lot. So I'm writing to remember.

Niemann-Pick C (NPC), a rare genetic disorder that can affect cognition, motor function, memory and metabolism is at the heart of The Memory Book but it is Sammie's personal journey that will captu
Lazar
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, love-the-cover
I'm not okay.I just want to sit somewhere and cry for few hours :'(
Giselle

It's 2:30AM and I just finished reading this...*sniffles* And yes I'm tearing.. What a beautifully written book with such loud and interesting characters. Not only is there emphasis on the romance, but there's friendship and family.. And good Lord the letters at the end just made me cry. I loved Sammie. I love her ambition and her drive and her passion to not let this disease take over. Such a great message to everyone.. I'm going to recommend this to everyone and their mother. AHHH <3

------
K.
I honestly think the problem with this book is that I'm too damned old for it. I can tell already that the teenagers I work with will EAT THIS UP AND SOB OVER IT FOREVER. Meanwhile, I'm a grumpy old lady, waving her walking stick at the damned kids on her lawn.

Frankly, I liked the secondary characters much more than the primary ones. Sam takes risks with her own life and the lives of others. Like...her parents are all "dude, don't go anywhere without a first responder". She has a condition that
Patty
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, own
** 4.5 stars **

photo Sophia-Bush-Cries-On-One-Tree-Hill_zpsyx3z8dvd.gif

Dear Lara Avery,
thanks for breaking my heart.
Sincerely, Patty

-------------------------
I have so many emotions/feelings/whatever going through my mind.
 photo 9518084_zpsjglq33pq.gif

I finished The Memory Book late last night, and after I got over crying for a good solid hour (okay, so it was more like 2-3) I was filled with anger? No, no. Not the right word. Maybe frustration would be a better word? Yep. We'll go with that for the time being. I was frustrated with myself because I wasn't emotional prepared for
Stacee
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is 100% not the type of book I would normally request. Angsty times are okay in very small and short doses, but there was something about that synopsis that intrigued me.

I loved Sammie. I loved how smart she was and how she determined to deal with the disease. Her family was awesome and I adored her parents.

This subject is a little {a lot} heartbreaking and how it was handled with the journal entries was just about perfection. The chapters without titles and wonky spelling/wording were so
Dannii Elle
My full review is available on United by Pop.

Actual rating 3.5 stars.

This book is formatted in journal style entries penned by the fictional Samantha McCoy. Sammie is a straight A over-achiever with a love for The Lord of the Rings and a strict schedule for how her life is going to pan out. That is until she is diagnosed with a rare genetic disorder that sees her memory depleted and has a 100% fatality rate.

Faced with the questions of her own mortality, Sammie must learn to accept her new fate a
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

Oh, what a happy day when a book gets one out of one’s reading slump! Do you ever pick up a book and just know from the first page that you’re going to likely fall in love? Yeah, that was me and The Memory Book. Sammie just jumped out at me from the start, and I knew that I was all in. Her character jumped right off the page, and I was enamored with her immediately. And I stayed that way
Sophie
I honestly did not know what to expect when I went into this book. I was sent a copy by the publisher, unsolicited, and a quick check online made me give it a chance, and let me tell you, I'm so glad that I did! The Memory Book follows Samantha, who had her life all planned out, until she discovers that she has a rare medical condition that will limit her life. Her condition, Niemann-Pick Type C, is a disease that affects memory and gradually shuts down the body. So, she needs a new plan. Knowin ...more
Maddie
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
The format was really fun to read but I wasn't a fan of how messy it could feel sometimes - it felt like, after the first 40%, I couldn't predict where the story was going, or it wasn't building up to where it ended. Still, I guess that's what real life is like, so in that case, it gets an A++

The one thing that got at me was Sammie's reluctance to tell people about her NPC. If they reacted badly, then that's a good sign to cut those people out of your life. If they react kindly, but not too pat
Teodora
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-reader
Bulgarian review: https://bookishipster.wordpress.com/2...

Actual rating: 4.5 stars.
I still can't realise how much i loved this book. I never expected to like it that much, for it to bring me so many emotions and for me to not want to finish it because of that. It was such a beautiful read, full with beautiful characters, stories and life lessons. I loved it. It was really, really powerful.
Teodora
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very easy and light read. If I wasn't in this reading slump I would've finished this in a day. Even though the ending is sad, its a happy sad. I didn't feel depressed at all from it. I think its cause we are all expecting it, even if we wish it never happened. I never knew such a thing as NPC existed so I'm glad I read this book. I love Cooper even if he doesn't have a 50's hairdo :')
Trisha
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I'm glad I'm writing the good and the bad. I'm glad I didn't delete anything. If you can only remember your aspirations, you will have no idea how you got from point A to point B."

What a tough but very good read. About something I'd never heard of - Niemann-Pick Type C (or NPC). And the journey through Sammie's life as her goal driven self comes to the realization that she has a disease - will leave you shaken. A powerful story and one I'm glad I read.

Katie Grace
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, 4-star
this was such a beautiful book. it was a sad book -- we're talking about memory loss, but it was done in such a way that it still felt a little hopeful. the writing was gorgeous, the cover is gorgeous, and I love how the book was set up. it all worked so perfectly, and I didn't put it down once I started reading.

there was also a character who was a writer and I related to some of his writer woes so that made me ridiculously happy. :P
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
I really loved the first quarter of the book - I feel in love with the characters and the narration style! (For once I felt like the unique format actually worked really well and genuinely enhanced the reading experience!) You knew it was building up to something, and I just wanted everyone to stay in this happy, protective bubble. But you know that's impossible because it's the whole reason Sammie's writing this book in the first place - so that she can remember everything that was important to ...more
Figgy
Actual Rating 2.5

The Memory Book has many of the required elements for a book that will tug at your heartstrings and linger long after reading.
- Our main character has a condition which will result in the loss of her memory and eventually her life.

- Said main character with said devastating and ultimately fatal condition is a teenager who’s about to finish high school and has so many plans for her future. Plans which will never eventuate thanks to said condition.

- Recently after the diagnosis sh
Nomes
I really liked this and once I got about 20% into it, I found my reading mojo and didn't want to put it down. I loved where the story went and if I had to make a criticism it is that the first half of the novel felt so completely different to the second half (in terms of setting and characters who were give a lot of page time). Although, this does reflect the main characters life as it changed dramatically over the course of the novel. This is definitely a tissue box book, but with plenty of swo ...more
Monique
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Yo. If you like contemporaries then you need to pick this book up. You just need to. This gave me all the feels that The Fault in Our Stars did. I loved Sammie as a main character but loved Coop even more. This will make you laugh, cry and make you appreciate all those good and bad memories you are lucky enough to remember.

Ugh, this book!
Sarah Louise
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. My heart is simultaneously full and empty.

Sammie has Niemann–Pick type C, which presents itself with an array of symptoms, including the focus of The Memory Book, progressive dementia. To commemorate her life, Sammie creates a written collection of memories addressed to her future self. It's not a fluid story, but more like fragments of the good and bad, and something about that felt so real.

It's easy to connect to Sammie. From beginning to end, it felt like you, as the reader, are her, t
Alannah
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
IT IS 1:13 AM AND I AM SOBBING!

Why did this books have to tear apart my heart like that??

I am in no state to write a review right now, I will have to come back to it tomorrow. :(
theresa &#x1f338;&#x1f951;
ok so i feel REALLY REALLY shitty about giving this book just 2 stars.well 2.5 stars.
i wanted to love it so much.it was a heartbreaking story and an important read for sure but i just couldn't connect with any of the characters and the story itself..idk why agh the writing was beautiful though and its an emotional rollercoaster so still give it a chance,because maybe i am just weird or i read it at the wrong time??
Alisha Brook
Rating: 4 stars

*CRYING* Review to come.
Ashley
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what the hell makes me like these sorts of books so much, but they get to me every time. I blame reading too many Lurlene McDaniel books when I was young and impressionable. I guess my dad was right and they did warp my brain. It's a problem.
Kim
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Geez what a sad book. Really good though.
Erin Lynn
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the ugly tears in the world right now.

Full review to come.
Cynthia (Bingeing On Books)
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

I needed this book. It seems like every book I have been reading lately has been mediocre or just blah. I needed a book that made me feel and this was it. First of all, I had to look up the disease that Sammie suffers from and it's real. I guess I was hoping it was fictional because of everything Sammie had to go through. One day Sammie is working towards being a valedictorian and practicing for debate tournaments; the next day
Jaime
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't read a lot of books like this one. You know the kind... The ones you KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt will make you cry. The books with cancer or some other deadly disease, the books about suicide, the books about organ transplants. I am an emotional creature, to say the least, and these books make tissues a must. I knew what I was getting myself into with The Memory Book, and this time, I just couldn't help myself.

Sammie is a smart girl. She has plans, she has dreams, and she has goal
Zoe
The Memory Book is the second book by Lara Avery I've read so far - the first being Anything But Ordinary - but, in my opinion, this is her best book by far. The Memory Book is a heartbreaking and emotional story about a girl suffering from a heartbreaking genetic disorder.
Sammie had her whole life ahead of her. She planned

• As Stars Fall
  • The Love Story (The Things We Can't Change, #4)
  • Broken Road
  • When Michael Met Mina
  • The Ones That Disappeared
  • A Shadow's Breath
  • The Guy, the Girl, the Artist and His Ex
“I think people fake that they're having fun a lot of the time in photos, because they want people to think they're having fun. Well, that's not life, is it?” 31 likes
“We have to get used to the idea that no one cares as much as us, because guess what, they don’t. Succeed, fail, whatever, no one is going to give you a pat on the back for spending all hours of the day studying, or researching, or giving up everything to write. So we’ve got to just do it for ourselves.” 26 likes