Start by marking “Butterfly Bones” as Want to Read:

(Metamorphosis #1)

Bethany should be dead, just like the doctors predicted.

But along came the butterflies, altering the order of nature.

And now nature is hell bent on revenge.

Because when fate's path is disrupted, it's only a matter of time before balance must be restored.

At birth, Bethany Keatley was diagnosed with a rare bone disorder and sent home from the hospital to die. Despite losing
Published November 28th 2016 by Lakewater Press

To ask other readers questions about Butterfly Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Butterfly Bones

(I received an advance copy of this book for free. Thanks to Lakewater Press and NetGalley.)

“When one alters the order of nature, it’s only a matter of time before nature screams for revenge.”

This was a YA story featuring a girl with osteogenesis imperfecta.

Bethany was an okay character, and I felt really sorry for her with all the bullying she was going through, especially when the teachers did nothing about it.

The storyline in this was about Bethany having osteogenesis imperfecta, and abou
Carrie
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Bethany Keatley was diagnosed with a rare bone disease after she was born that doctor's said would be a death sentence. Bethany's father however is a scientist and became determined to save his little girl and began a series of experiments to help her survive.

Now at fifteen Bethany has defied all the odds and survived but she is small for age which brings on the bullying at school. While tormented Bethany has still been determined that she would do well and become a scientist like her father on
JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the publisher, Lakewater Press, via NetGalley for an honest review.

Opinion: This story is truly like the crème de la crème of the audible Aw’s and small smiles that we only give to books. It’s an adorable coming-of-age/young adult story, but tiptoes into the realm of fantasy and science fiction as it progresses. This story was the epitome of bitter-sweet. It tickles your heart with giggles and the hopes for a positive outcome, while also feeling sorrowful
Tissy
Aug 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
I couldn't get into this book at all. It was quite a slow read and dragged so much that I had to call it quits.
The premise of this book initially drew me in but ultimately it was also what pulled me away. It just became so contrived (but also predictable with the hot guy and mean girls) that I couldn't connect with the character.
Sam Miller
Oct 15, 2016 rated it liked it
I almost didn't give this book a chance, but I'm glad I did. Some parts had me laughing, others, crying. Though a very unconventional plot, it was a good and interesting read.
Susan's
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This story had some interesting sections. And then it didn't. Firstly, I get very upset when an author paints a pathetic heroine who is constantly being bullied, terrorized and treated unfairly. Cry me a river, already! And then to say: well, the new "Zero Tolerance Anti-Bullying" programs in schools are useless, so don't bother reporting abuse - I was just downright enraged. Way to go: don't give the youth of today any encouragement at all to even ATTEMPT to seek justice and stop the vicious cy ...more
Diana
Oct 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
After seeing the good reviews of this boom I thought it was going to be a great read, but it turned out to be more like an acid trip...
We have Bethany, our main character, who suffers from a bone condition which makes her bones and her immune system be defficient. As a teen she looks like a child. Enter her father, a mad scientists who is experimenting with butterfly hormones on her to help her/save her.
Then there is an array of typical high school characters:
- the hot boy who protects her (the
Jody
Awesome Book

Bethany goes through so much because of her scientist father's warped mind. She has to leave her home town, and the boy who has fallen in love with her, and she's fallen in love with him from the day she meant him. Now on to book two!
Alicia Huxtable
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

This is unlike anything I've read before. It grabbed me from the start and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely for those wanting something new
James Weaver
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Butterfly Bones is the newest young adult offering from author Rebecca Carpenter. As a man in his mid-late forties, I’m not exactly the target audience. I am, however, a fan of good writing and storytelling, and Butterfly Bones delivers both.

The story revolves around the sharp-minded, but physically underdeveloped teenager Bethany Keatley whose osteogenesis imperfecta bone disease has made her so tiny and frail that she’s mistaken for a grade school student at her own high school. She’s labeled
Kim
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“Just finished BUTTERFLY BONES. So fresh. So enchanting. So poignant. So imaginative. Such and incredible story of true grit, determination, and bravery. I'm sad the story is over and I'm not disappointed over the courageous ending either. BRAVO! BRAVO!!!!”

This was the message I sent Rebecca Carpenter the day I finished my ARC of Butterfly Bones. Let me also add that the subject of bullying is handled in such a realistic and heartbreaking way that you want to jump in and kick some butt yourself.
Wendi Silvano
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just finished my ARC of BUTTERFLY BONES. This is a MUST READ! It captures you from the first chapter and won't let go. The intriguing concept, rich characters, and wonderful writing pull you in, and if you start reading late at night you might very well still be reading at dawn!
Diana Pinguicha
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Again, disclaimer: I'm part of Lakewater Press as their illustrator. I got this book because I asked, and BOY OH BOY IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT. It's freaky, creepy, and doesn't pull any punches. Bethany is a great protagonist, and reads like a teenager. Also, the end. OH MY GOD THE END!
Jason Dias
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fast.

Carpenter plugs her book on a fairly regular basis. I like to support local writers so, intrigued by the colorful nature of the prose in her excerpts, I picked up a copy.
Glad I did.
Prose like this should be classified as a controlled substance. I read the first 125 pages in a day. I’m a slow reader; it’s been a long time since something kept me this engaged.
The story is mostly about the tribulations of a 15 year old girl. Hardly the sort of thing that would usually maintain m
Domoni
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bethany was born with a rare bone condition. She wasn’t supposed to live past 6 months, but her scientist father will stop at nothing to save her. Especially since his wife, Bethany’s mother, died of cancer when Bethany was only 2. So he created a treatment and Bethany has been getting injections that strengthen her bones and keep her alive. At the age of 15 she easily passes for an elementary student due to her size and the fact that puberty hasn’t come her way yet. Which makes Bethany a prime ...more
Rachel
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

I seriously enjoyed this book. I couldn't stop reading it, I wanted to read it constantly. I couldn't tear myself away from this book.

This book is so believable even though essentially what is happening is impossible... or is it? It's honestly so well researched and prepared that you could easily believe that what is happening is not just the stuff of a Sci-Fi novel (which this essentially is amongst other genres making this a very unusual book and a very special book too.)

This book de
Emily Moore
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not what I expected... It was so much better!

I'm not a huge fan of contemporary novels, and even less so of urban fantasy unless it draws me in like BUTTERFLY BONES did. The protagonist's view of the world was so real and so vivid, and had a dark edge of humor that kept me up reading until my eyes drooped. This novel addresses so many issues in a modern teen's world: bullying, the big crush, single and imperfect parents, the death of a parent, and more.

The part I loved most was the science ficti
Abbie
Oct 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, In exchange for an honest review.)

I didn't love the main character in this, but she was okay. I did feel quite sorry for her, as the bullying she was going through was awful, and she didn't have an easy time at all.

This was an okay read, but I did find the first 25% or so to be a bit repetitive. It was also quite slow in areas, and it dragged a few times because of it, but it wasn't too bad.

Overall, An okay read.
Jeri Baird
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Butterfly Bones is a must read for young adults!

Bethany is a spunky fifteen-year-old who suffers from a rare bone disease that should have killed her as an infant. Her scientist father's experiments using butterfly hormones have kept her alive, but an unexpected side-effect threatens to ruin her wishful romance with hunky Jeremiah.

The shocking twists and incredible ending will leave you begging for Book 2!
Jennifer Y.
Nov 27, 2016 added it
Shelves: 2016-reads
Review to come
Megan (Under the Book Cover)
Review also posted at: http://underthebookcover.blogspot.com...

4.5/5

Thank you to Lakewater Press for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for review!

I have no idea where to even begin with this review. This book was nothing like what I expected, and has skyrocketed up the list as one of my favorite reads of 2016. After reading the description several times, I thought I had a pretty good idea of what was going to happen throughout the book. I'm happy to say that despite my repeated r
Tracy Wolfe
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I started reading a different book last night. I'm about 30 pages in and not sure yet if I'm going to bother finishing it.

So on my lazy Sunday, I started reading Butterfly Bones by Rebecca Carpenter instead.

I won a free copy of this ebook thanks to a Twitter giveaway from the publisher, Lakewater Press.

It's quite different from what I typically read, primarily being categorized as young-adult contemporary, but with a bit of science fiction thrown in. It starts out feeling like a coming of age ty
Lyn
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Rebecca Carpenter has written an outstanding YA mystery/SF/romance novel that has everything you could wish for: A fast-paced story line, a plot that deepens the further into it you go, a protagonist who is vulnerable yet feisty, courageous, and selfless. A love interest you'll want to cheer, and antagonists who are so despicable you wish you could get them alone in an alley with a nail-studded lump of 4 x 2 and beat the crap out of them.

There's no swearing (not real swear words) and no sex sce
KittyKat
*This book was received via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

Wow....what a read! This book really took me by surprise. From the synopsis I knew the book was going to be very science based but the level of details presented in the book was extraordinary. Also, Bethany acted as an amazing narrator as she both presented the scientific point of view but her feelings about the experimentation done on her and the life she lead were also poignantly expressed. I particularly liked reading abou
Kelly
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This could almost be a typical high school book. You've got the nerd, jock, beautiful mean girl and her clique. Bethany was born with osteogenesis imperfecta, which her scientist father is attempting to cure from his home science lab with butterfly DNA. While trying to navigate her crappy high school life, the treatments she gets from her father start to have strange side effects...

The first half of this book drags on and is somewhat repetetive. Bethany is a somewhat likeable character but her i
Ann Sepino
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a Biology graduate, this novel appealed to my inner mad scientist. I applaud Rebecca Carpenter for taking the time to construct a wonderful narrative. It was able to combine the viewpoint of both a high-achieving student and a troubled teen. The concept was unique, as was the way butterflies were used to reflect the emotions of the protagonist.

The relationship between the main character and her family was perhaps the most interesting part of the book, because I have never read about a bond li
Wanda Siesicki
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. While not my typical read, I found that the story held my interest from start to finish. I was totally surprised with the ending of the book. I thought that Bethany and her father would become famous for his butterfly experiments. To find out what happens next, I am going to have to buy the next book.
Shannon Lawrence
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked the main character, a girl with determination and a quiet dignity. The voice was well done. Interesting idea, having her mad scientist father using butterflies to save her delicate bones. A fairly quick read, with plenty to keep the reader engaged. I'll be sharing this one with my teens.
Subhajit Das
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was curious about the book basically by the title actually. But after moving forward through a few pages of the book, i got hooked with the captivating plot is based upon. The story never lacked the gripping elements anywhere. Overall a compact read for me. Much recommendable.
Rachel Scarlet
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book! The characters were well fleshed out and seemed so real. I really resonated with the main character, since I genetic connective tissue disorder. I speed through the pages, even though I didn't want the story to end, so I am very excited for the next one!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Game Begins (R. Caine High School #1)
  • Courage in Patience
  • Vampire Ascension (The Vampires of Athens, #3)
  • Reminiscence (Statera Saga, #1)
  • The Weight of Stars (The United States of Asgard)
  • Cemetery Tours (Cemetery Tours, #1)
  • The Amplified (The Amplified #1)
  • The Pursuit of Happiness
  • Reasons to Love a Nerd Like Me (Love Stories, #1)
  • Psion Alpha (Psion, #4)
  • The Society of Imaginary Friends
  • Witchtown
  • I'll Be the One
  • Leftover Girl (Leftover Girl, #1)
  • This Book Is Not Yet Rated
  • Dating on the Dork Side
  • The Radiant Road
  • And Then There Were Four

Metamorphosis (2 books)
  • Butterfly Blood
“From some of the worst situations, the best things happen.” 0 likes
“Good scientists don’t stop researching because an outcome has been achieved. They look for explanations as to how, why, and what if?” 0 likes