Start by marking “Killer Potential” as Want to Read:
Killer Potential

Killer Potential

Seventeen-year-old Yvette doesn’t know what’s worse: being locked up on a high security psych ward for a crime she’s not sure she committed, or having to see the vacant eyes of her fellow patients.

All she wants is her sister back, her parents to get a clue, her brother to quit dealing drugs, the murder trial to be over, and most of all, to be reunited with the pretty littl
Paperback
Published July 2016 by BookFish Books

Kama Post
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book kept me reading well into the night. It alternates between Yvette's dysfunctional past and her drug-hazed present, slowly building in intensity as both worlds spiral downwards. It's easy to see how someone's past informs their future, as Yvette--beginning as a small child-- is an innocent victim to her mother's withdrawal into depression and prescription drugs and her father's constant absence. Lacking any type of guidance and support, she is left to her own devices in an attempt to pr ...more
Anna (Adventures with a Book Nerd)
*I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions in this review are my own. This review and others like it can be found on my blog (Adventures with a Book Nerd).*

“And any life, no matter the poor choices made in its past, still has hope. even a cheat and a liar can hope for a happy ending as long as they keep living long enough for more chances.”

Let me just tell you right now, this is not an easy book to read. It's the exact opposite. But this book is so wonder
Cristina
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-requests
Review posted also on Crazy Beautiful Reads

~I received an e-copy of the book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review~

Sometimes, revenge isn't sweet at all and all it does is to put you in a mental institution ! (That, according to the book at hand.) And that is what Yvette is about to find out on her own.

Killer Potential is a psychological YA thriller which somehow points out nowadays problems with drugs and the absence of the parents in the child's life.
The main character is very
Maura Jortner
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic read--from beginning to end. I adored the main character, and the writing is phenomenal! Really great stuff. Love the twist ending. <3 <3 <3
Natshane
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't even know where to start, it has so much potential, yet it could have been so much more.

If you are looking for a happy ending, consider yourself warned, you are in for an intense, depressing ride. The hauntingly amazing cover pulled me in right away and the story was off to a good start. Killer Potential was written in dual time frame, alternating between "the past" and the "present" as told from Yvette's perspective. In "the past", Yvette was portrayed as a young girl learning her ways
United Indie Book Blog
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'll start at the very beginning. ...as in right at the beginning ...awesome job on the cover art ! The story is phenomenal!
It's so sad how many times some people pay the price for bad decisions and actions by others and to a degree this is what happened to Yvette.
Both parents were there but not if that makes sense, they were absent emotionally and there was no moral compass or guidance in her life
The fact that they opened their home to foster children softened me a bit . Yvette had many sibl
James Weaver
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
While pitching my novel Poor Boy Road in an online writing contest awhile back, I remember reading the Twitter pitches for my competition when one caught my eye. Long after I’d read the hundreds of other pitches, this one stuck with me. In 140 characters, the author made me want more. I always remembered the title and imagine my elation when I saw this intriguing premise in the published world.

Killer Potential is a new YA thriller from author Aften Brook Syzmanski. It follows seventeen-year-old
Megan | A Page to Turn
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was one of the most interesting that I've ever read... the way that it's told - jumping from past to present had to of been extremely difficult to pull off, but it turned out to be the best way to tell this story. We got the whole picture of who Yvette is and how she came to be where she is at the beginning of the story... at an institution for possible murder charges.

Revenge is not always easy or clean... sometimes it's downright messy. This psychological YA thriller kept me on the e
Heidi Sturgess
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books-read
I'll start at the very beginning. ...as in right at the beginning
Petula
Jul 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
I did not like this at all. It is written in first person , and she is a very strange person. I found it depressing. That is not what I am looking for in a book.
Evelyn Hornbarger
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
So, what is a horror novel? I didn't think I liked "horror." But, I think I do.

I started the book thinking the narrator was completely crazy. I didn't know if I could trust a word that came out of her insane, drugged up, mouth. It took a little while of reading to catch onto the rhythm of the narrative, but once I did, I couldn't stop thinking about it. Her life felt alive, with gritty details. I got to know this girl and how her depressed mother, absent father, and foster children siblings cre
Bree
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 50-17, young-adult
I'm a Pollyanna kind of person. Give me hearts, rainbows, throw in a couple of unicorns, and I'm happy. Several times while reading this book I felt the need for an emotional break, but no matter how many times I put it down, I had to pick it back up again. Few dark thrillers affect me this way. Well done Ms. Szymanski, now excuse me while I go watch Mr. Rogers for a while.
Isis
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
1.5/5

"I'm afraid of other people's problems--their lives behind the scenes. All the things they hide, like the foster kids. Everyone looks normal, but how many are monsters in regular person's skin?"

It took me months to get through this very short novel. The reason for that is that it was pretty senseless.

The story started off moderately well. It's told from Yvette's perspective, a teenage girl in a psych ward suspected of a murder, switching from the present to the past every chapter. I was
Shauna Holyoak
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have to admit this was written by a friend, but I can say without bias that it's a great thriller. Dark and edgy, this story takes an unflinching look at the life of a girl in a neglected home and where it ultimately leads her. The most amazing thing about this novel was the unique structure. The chapters alternate between flashbacks of the main character's childhood and her current struggle in a mental hospital. The flashbacks advance chronologically until they bring you to the point where yo ...more
Jewel