Start by marking “Silent Girl” as Want to Read:
Silent Girl

Silent Girl

Fiction. SILENT GIRL, stories by Tricia Dower, takes us into the remarkable and poignant lives of fictional daughters, sisters, friends, lovers, wives, and mothers through a story collection inspired by Shakespeare's plays. Set in twentieth and twenty-first century Canada, Kyrgyzstan, Thailand, and the United States, these insightful stories portray girls and women dealing ...more
Published May 1st 2008 by Inanna Publications & Education

To ask other readers questions about Silent Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Girl

Start your review of Silent Girl
Booklover Butterfly
Silent Girl by Tricia Dower is an unforgettable and meaningful collection of eight short stories, set in diverse locations, concerning various oppressive issues facing modern women and girls. The topics range from forced prostitution of young girls to racism to abuse in its many forms, and are presented using refreshingly original ideas.

As a woman, I became very affected by the characters, hoping for their safety and well-being, while reading this book. I felt anguish and anger for the
Suzanne
Apr 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian
Overall, a strong collection of short stories all featuring interesting female protagonists. The first couple of stories ("Not Meant to Know and "Silent Girl") were incredibly compelling, but others, like "Kesh Kumay" and the much-too-long "The Snow People: AGM 30-46" didn't pull me in to the same degree. Definitely interesting ideas overall, however, and hopefully Dower publishes a follow-up soon.
Katherine
May 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Exquisite stories, all. The women that inhabit her stories still creep into my thoughts, fully one week after reading Tricia's book . Highly recommended collection.
Jackie Saad
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rich characters and beautiful cadence in every story. I love this collection.
MESCA Book Club
Jun 19, 2008 added it
Recommended to MESCA by: Jennifer
Andi M.
Oct 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Shakespeare lovers, general readers
Nice collection of short stories roughly based on some of Shakespeare's female characters. Admittedly, I'm not a Shakespeare buff, though I've read the standards (Hamlet, Macbeth, Othello, R&J, Midsummer Night). I great enjoyed these stories about women silenced physically or emotionally. Some tear-jerks and some hope--a nice combination of both.
Hannah Holborn
May 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I've just finished "Silent Girl" and was amazed by the depth and variety of human experience in the perfectly crafted stories. Tricia is truely a marvelous writer!
Tricia Dower
May 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, I wrote it, didn't I?
Lillian Dobbs
Ll
Aug 12, 2017
Rachel
Sep 04, 2008
TRICIA DOWER was a business executive before reinventing herself as a writer in 2002. Her Shakespeare-inspired story collection, Silent Girl (Inanna 2008) was nominated for the Frank O'Connor International Short Story Award and the George Ryga Award for Social Awareness in Literature. Herizons magazine called it "ambitious and powerful." Her first novel, Stony River (Penguin Canada 2012 and ...more