Start by marking “At the Edge of the Universe” as Want to Read:
At the Edge of the Universe

At the Edge of the Universe

Tommy and Ozzie have been best friends since second grade, and boyfriends since eighth. They spent countless days dreaming of escaping their small town—and then Tommy vanished.

More accurately, he ceased to exist, erased from the minds and memories of everyone who knew him. Everyone excerpt Ozzie.

Ozzie doesn’t know how to navigate life without Tommy, and soon suspects that
Published February 7th 2017 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about At the Edge of the Universe, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Rin
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jennifer Gosley
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Larry H
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did you ever get the feeling you and an author would be great friends (or perhaps mortal enemies), simply based on the books they write and the way they tell stories? Even if that's irrational as thinking you'd be great friends with a television character, I still believe that from time to time.

Near the top of my list would be Shaun David Hutchinson, who absolutely slayed me with We Are the Ants (see my original review), which was in the top five of the best books I read last year. Now he's ba
✨    jamieson   ✨
“I didn’t even need to check my phone to know that the universe had shrunk again, and the stars had vanished.
No. They hadn’t vanished. I’d given them away to someone who hadn’t deserved them, and I’d never get them back.”

trigger warnings in this book for: rape, statutory rape, racism, child abuse, graphic violence, self-harm, drugs, homophobia, ableism

I don't think its any secret I was a massive fan of Shaun David Hutchinson's 2016 release, We Are the Ants, so his newest release was high on m
jessica
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
okay. lets get right to the point. this book was depressing. like, borderline adam silvera levels of sadness. but real life can sometimes be pretty woeful, so if there is anything this book was, it was real. the characters, the emotions, the struggles. they were so realistic, so relatable.

i was also impressed with how well this book covered some very sensitive subjects and content. it was a bit much at times, but i think that just lends to the storys authenticity and realistic nature.

the only
Cassandra {semi-hiatus}
So instead of aliens trying to blow up the human homeland, the universe is now shrinking?

With most authors I'd be skeptical, but after We Are the Ants, Shaun David Hutchinson could write about rockette monkeys performing Chicago on Mars and I'd read it.

*After Actually Reading the Book*

“Don’t get so focused on where you’re going that you forget the people yo’re travelling with. There’s no point reaching a destination if you arrive alone.”

After the god send known as We Are the Ants, I was so ex
Kai
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, glbt, owned
"We have to fall in love with the idea of a person before we can fall in love with the actual person."

Shaun's books have a safe place in my bookish heart. I love his characters, his stories, his style of writing. His books are unlike any other book I've read before and this one was no exception. The universe is shrinking and Ozzy's boyfriend Tommy has but nobody remembers that he existed. Only Ozzy does but, of course, no one believes him.

There are so many things that Shaun gets right. He is in
Elyse Walters
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The universe is shrinking....
which is a central theme in this story, but the science fiction never dominates the deeper issues and personal growth.
Shaun David Hutchinson is brilliant at the way he maneuvers huge life situations while keeping a causal perspective quality in his writing at the same time.

Wonderful characters. Ozzie and Tommy are gay...but it's never their gayness that stands out. Again... I can't say enough about Shaun David Hutchinson. His focus is on
Ozzie's and Tommy's feelin
may ➹
it was good and it was gay and that should be enough to get you to read it

also can Shaun David Hutchinson STOP. DAMAGING. ME.
Nazanin
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, sci-fi, m-m
2 Stars

"It’s impossible to let go of the people we love. Pieces of them remain embedded inside of us like shrapnel. Every breath causes those fragments to burrow through our muscles, nearer to our hearts. And we think the pain will kill us, but it won’t. eventually scar tissue forms around those twisted splinters like cocoons. They remain part of us, bus slowly hurt less. At least, I hoped they would."

Ozzie’s boyfriend, Tommy disappeared two months ago. No one looking for him, not the police and
Rana⚡
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Faith is believing in something even when every other soul in the world tells you you’re wrong. Even when all the evidence says you’re a fool. No matter what people say or how much they hurt you, faith means you keep believing"

Thats was straight up brilliant!! Are all his books this perfect???
As a person who loves making late night theories this book was the one for me. It reminded me of More than this so badly!! At first i was kinda comparing them to each other but i figured that ATEOU had it
⚔ Silvia ⚓
This was my first book by SDH and I've been so hyped about his work that this could have easily gone the "it didn't live up to my expectations" way. But! It didn't! I have no idea what I expected from this in terms of plot and characters but I can say that it was definitely worth the hype (I say hype but how come only around 1800 people have rated this on goodreads?? How???)

Anyway, I don't have a copy of this anymore because I read it on Riveted, so this is a short review with no quotes or anyth
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

It definitely is no secret that At The Edge Of The Universe was probably my most anticipated book of the year. After reading We Are The Ants last year and completely falling in love with it, I was ready to read absolutely everything ever written by Shaun David Hutchinson.

What I Liked

The writing. Shaun David Hutchinson just has this way of completely pulling you in with his writing. There’s just something so beautiful and magical about it. For those of you who know me, you know that my attentio
Camille ☼
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

4.5. I don’t even know what to say this book was incredibly painful and beautiful and why has not more people read this already. This is amazing. Shaun David Hutchinson is amazing.

I loved the main character Ozzie and I loved seeing the story develop around him, seeing him grew up and master his anxiety and his fears. He’s a deeply unperfect
Lia  °booksnpenguins°
The scariest thing in life is the door that closes and can't ever be opened again.
Once I opened the door and stepped into the void, that door would slam shut behind me and I could never go back.
But maybe it's okay to be afraid.

I don't think I'll ever be able to properly put into coherent words how much Shaun David Hutchinson and his books mean to me. I loved We Are the Ants, but At the Edge of the Universe was a whole different story.
It's one of those books that make you question your entire
Jackie
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-heart-hurts
JUST POSTED MY FULL REVIEW (this is a first omg y'all better appreciate my efforts)

this was my first book by shaun david hutchinson and holy shit, i wasn‘t ready.

i found myself being able to relate to the characters a lot (especially calvin) and reading this book was a very heavy and emotional experience for me because it dealt with things that i went/go through as well.

content warnings for depression, self-harm, drugs, rape, domestic violence and child abuse.

i never expected to like or relate t
Vitor Martins
Esse é o terceiro livro do Shaun David Hutchinson que eu leio e foi o primeiro que eu AMEI DO COMEÇO AO FIM.
Eu sei que não existe nenhum livro perfeito mas, sinceramente, eu não consigo encontrar nada em ATEOTU que eu não tenha gostado. Tudo que é colocado aqui, cada diálogo, cada característica de personagem, cada flashback, tudo é tão necessário.

O livro fala sobre temas fortes (disturbios mentais, self-harm e abuso) e a história me acertou com um impacto que eu não estava esperando. Na histó
Lisa
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
3,75/5 stars

I started reading this book without any expectations and I didn't really think I would like it much. But this book really surprised me and I liked it way more than I thought I would.

This book handles some hard topics in a very good way and I think it was very beautifully written. I was pleasantly surprised by the diversity of this book also.

Ozzie, the main character, was very selfish and that kind of bugged me sometimes, but I also think he was very funny at times. I really liked L
Peter Monn
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if I loved this or We Are the Ants more. Absolutely incredible. Weird and romantic. Literally bawled the last 20 pages. Check out my full review on my booktube channel at http://youtube.com/peterlikesbooks
Kenchiin
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"You claim that the world used to be much bigger than it is, but did you explore it? Did you take advantage of it? How is your life all that different now than it was before?"

Josiah
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Released a year after We Are the Ants, which came out in 2016, At the Edge of the Universe reinforces some of the recurring style and themes of Shaun David Hutchinson's YA literature. Repressed trauma, same-sex romance, unusually intelligent and articulate characters, and speculative science fiction are concepts the author loves to engage with, and he doubles down on that in this novel. Seventeen-year-old Ozzie Pinkerton is a high school senior in his small hometown of Cloud Lake, Florida. The l ...more
ti ✧
this will be a very rambling review because i can't think clearly when i think about this book.

last year in january i read We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson and i thought it was one of the most amazing books i ever read. when i heard he was publishing another kind of sci-fi realistic novel i was screaming with joy.

i have to say i was very surprised to find myself loving this even more than his other perfect novels.

first of all, i love the idea of the book: the universe is shrinking and p
Benjamin
Feb 13, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Happy Valentine's Day to me!

This book is a reminder of why you should never date me. ( I was supposed to spend last year's Valentine's reading it ). It was my date.
Eliza Rapsodia
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Todo el mundo / Everyone
Recommended to Eliza by: Nadie
REVIEW IN ENGLISH

It is a truth universally acknowledged that I highly recommend Shaun David Hutchinson to any living reader form. This is my third novel of his that I have read and I can say I will NEVER get off of this train. I love his books so much and this was not the exception.

Oswald Pinkerton, Ozzie for friends, is a young boy who is in his last year of school and works part time in a bookstore (I want that job, damn). His life in the small town of Cloud Lake could not be more boring, on
Iulia
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018, liked
You know that feeling when you read a book that's so great you immediately set out on a quest to find another one like it? I read We Are the Ants by the same author and I absolutely loved it; it's actually one of my super-favorites . I picked up At the Edge of the Universe hoping that it would evoke in me a similar emotion, and I wasn't wrong; it absolutely delivered! Much like its predecessor, this is very much a character driven book, with beautifully constructed relationships and great c ...more
Eloise
4.5/5 - I'll add Shaun David Hutchinson to my list of favourite authors, I guess.
He always seems to write such powerful stories:
You laugh. You cry. You have no idea what's going on or what's going to happen, but you stay tuned all the way because he has a way of writing such beautiful, realisticly flawed but understandable characters living in worlds that are so cleverly created.

And this is exactly what this book did. I laughed and I cried and I was confused but I loved it.
I loved the little mom
Silke
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 stars

I’m so not okay right now 😣 This book totally messed me up but I LOVED IT. It’s a masterpiece. I was hooked from beginning to end, it was impossible to stop reading. Right now I feel so happy and sad at the same time, but most of all my heart is full and I’m so glad I decided to read this. It has actually helped me get some perspective on something I’m struggling with at this point in my life. I’m so amazed at how this author writes stories that are so relatable but also mysterious and
Jason
May 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
up a notch to 2 because the lower ranking of recent books in the same genre has altered my perspective on this one

Until At the Edge of the Universe I was still debating if Shaun David Hutchinson was my guy. With The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley, I felt that the plot wasn't slammed down onto paper in a way that could max its potential. The idea of a kid in a hospital, with the staff unaware of a gent wandering around, seemed unrealistic, as did the way he connected with his environment and with
Gabby
I received a free e-ARC of this book from Simon and Schuster in exchange for participating in a study with Jellybooks.
I liked this book, but I'm not going to lie, I'm disappointed. We Are the Ants is my favorite book of 2016 and one of my favorite books of all time so it's safe to say I probably had way too high of expectations, but this book just kind of fell short for me. This book follows a boy named Ozzie who's boyfriend Tommy disappears, and he's the only one who remembers him. After Tommy
Kaje Harper
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites, m-m, lgbtq, scifi, ya
4.5 stars - this was different. Ozzie is a gay teen, a high-school senior, who woke up one day to find that his boyhood best friend and now boyfriend Tommy was missing. Not only that, but all evidence of Tommy had been erased from the world - his own mother didn't remember having a son, his gifts to Ozzie had vanished, no one in school recalled his presence. Ozzie though, had a lifetime of memories of Tommy, and he's determined to hang onto them and to find Tommy and figure out what happened. He ...more
  • The Sowing (The Torch Keeper, #2)
  • Tales from Foster High (Tales from Foster High, #1-3)
  • We Now Return to Regular Life
  • Whatever.: or how junior year became totally f$@ked
  • Shut Your Face, Anthony Pace!
  • The Music of What Happens
  • Fire Song
  • Stick
  • Willful Machines
  • Perfect Ten
  • Wonders of the Invisible World
  • Jack of Hearts (and Other Parts)
  • Chainbreaker (Timekeeper, #2)
  • White Rabbit
  • Guardian (Proxy, #2)
  • Educating Simon
  • Just Between Us
  • We Contain Multitudes
Shaun is a major geek and all about nerdy shenanigans. He is the author of many queer books for young adults. Find out more information at shaundavidhutchinson.com. He currently lives in Seattle and watches way too much Doctor Who.
“It's impossible to let go of the people we love. Pieces of them remain embedded inside of us like shrapnel. Every breath causes those fragments to burrow through our muscles, nearer to our hearts. And we think the pain will kill us, but it won't. Eventually, scar tissue forms around those twisted splinters like cocoons. They remain part of us, but slowly hurt less.” 27 likes
“Don't get so focused on where you're going that you forget the people you're travelling with. There's no point reaching a destination if you arrive alone.” 23 likes