Start by marking “Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices, #2)

Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices #2)

4.54  ·  Rating details ·  48,358 Ratings  ·  8,043 Reviews
Would you trade your soul mate for your soul?

A Shadowhunter’s life is bound by duty. Constrained by honor. The word of a Shadowhunter is a solemn pledge, and no vow is more sacred than the vow that binds parabatai, warrior partners—sworn to fight together, die together, but never to fall in love.

Emma Carstairs has learned that the love she shares with her parabatai, Julian
Published May 23rd 2017 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Lord of Shadows, please sign up.
Mina i don't think she will. It would just feel so fake. She adds references - Jem being alive the biggest one- but if they actually went back in time it…morei don't think she will. It would just feel so fake. She adds references - Jem being alive the biggest one- but if they actually went back in time it would feel unreal and spoil it. but she is writing series that take place in about Will and Tessa's time. with their kids etc. so that should be fun(less)

Emma Giordano
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I said it before and I will say it again, The Dark Artifices is Cassandra Clare's most sophisticated work yet.

(Heads up: my Goodreads review is spoiler free but hopefully later this week I'll be posting my spoiler-filled and probably way too long video review to my YouTube channel: youtube.com/emmmabooks)

Lord of Shadows is the sequel we've all been waiting for. It has the same amount of high-intensity, beautifully constructed, and deep, yet comedic content we love to see from The Shadowhunt
Andrea
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Don't talk to me for like a week.
In other news, I broke my promise again of not reading the book the day it comes out and in one sitting.

------------------
Why I always do this to myself?
I always read the book the day they come out and in one sitting and I don't think about the consequences like how I have to wait another whole f*cking year again.
This book is going to make me suffer. I know it. Like Clockwork Prince.
I think I better wait until the last book comes out to read the whole series com
Kat O'Keeffe
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't remember the last time a book made my heart feel this empty and this full at the same time. Man, what a magnificent installment. The story here is so epic and sprawling, and the way it's told--especially the pacing, how the different story threads were woven together--it was just perfect. Not to mention that I love these characters so much it makes my heart ache. Waiting for the next book is already causing me pain and we've still got TWO WHOLE YEARS TO GO. GAH.
Zoë
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excuse me, but WHAT JUST HAPPENED?
Clau R.
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, my-sons, top-2017
WHAT THE HELL. MY HEART. WHY CASSIE WHY.
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
My reaction after finishing Lady Midnight

My reaction after finishing Lord of Shadows

description

I've had it with love triangles! I'm usually up for them as long as my ship prevails in the end ;) but man did Cassie complicate things for every possible pairing in this book.

Emma/Julian/Mark - I thought this triangle wasn't so bad after I was done with Lady Midnight cause I knew Emma and Julian couldn't be romantically involved but Cassie effed things up with E&J always finding ways to hold each other and
Cait • A Page with a View
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These books seriously just keep getting better and better. The writing has improved SO much and the characters here are my absolute favorites. And... I cannot believe I'm saying this, but I actually liked Jace and Clary.

But just like with Lady Midnight, I was more into the actual characters than whatever the larger plot arc was. I guess I don't care that much about Malcom, Annabel, the book, the Shadow Lord, or most of that drama. Pretty sure anything (or nothing) could be happening and I'd be j
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
When it comes to Lord of Shadows I really don't even know where to start! I loved the book! I loved it so much I found myself rereading certain passages just because I couldn't help myself but had to experience them again and again. =)

Cassie has always been one of my favourite authors and the more I read from her, the more I get captured in her world. It’s not just the world of the Shadowhunters though, it’s the entire package Cassandra Clare is giving to us. There were so many details and thi
✨    jamieson   ✨
yes, five months later my official review is here. Ive finished screaming. I'm ready to talk

Continue on for 25% memes, 50% why I love this book, 25% more screaming

(there may be mild spoilers untagged like new character names but everything major will be tagged)

Beatrice (beatriceinbookland)
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2017
"I thought you loved me. I don't know how I got that so wrong."

- Julian @ Emma
but also
- Me @ Cassandra Clare after that ending

crying photo: awful crying cry.gif

WHY CASSANDRA WHYYYYYYY
Katerina
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“Break my heart. Break it in pieces. I give you permission.”

I don't recall giving my permission though. I don't recall allowing Cassandra Clare to wreck havoc on my soul and stomp on its pieces before scattering them to the wind. But she did it anyway.

“A dark time is coming for Shadowhunters. A terrible time. Their power will be crushed, their might thrown down into the dirt, and their blood will run like water through the riverbeds of the world.”

Blood, ashes and despair. That's the per
Jiana
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Someone :) just :) kill :) me :) and :) end :) my :) pain :)

I can't deal with this hell I'm living in right now. Someone hold me. Then kill me. Please.

SERIOUSLY CASSIE CLARE, SERIOUSLY? Stabbing me in the heart would've hurt less. How dare you. How. dare. you. I want to punch you. But you're also my queen??? BUT I WANT TO PUNCH YOU SO HARD FOR DOING THIS TO ME.

And now, I have to :) wait :) two :) years :) for :) the :) final :) book :)
___

5/19/2017: Not long now till this beauty is released!!!!

I
amy
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, favorites
this is one of those rare times where i am at a loss for words. i don't know how to describe what i went through while reading this book, i don't know how to express my love for all of these beautiful characters and i don't know how to say anything else then AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa in regards to that heart crushing ending.

i think it's official to say that i now feel very differently about cassandra clare's books than i did a few months ago.

description

i just.......... don't know how to put my feelings into words
C.G. Drews
ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT LORD OF SHADOWS IS SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO GOOD. I thought I'd start off the review with like a really emotionally charged sentence of passionate and triumph but ya know what? I CNA'T WRITE THIS REVIEW. I CAN'T. I AM A BROKEN PIECE OF RUIN.
Lady Midnight
IT WAS SO SO SO GOOD.

*wild sobbing*

NOTE: There will be no spoilers for LoS in this review! Or they'll be tagged! Do not fret! However there will be mild spoilers for Lady Midnight, so loooook away now. Ye have been wa
Beth
He told me of your journey, and I guessed your mission. I knew you would not survive the Lord of Shadows' tricks without aid."

Lord of Shadows you get ALL of the stars!

Spoiler free review, although I do mention bits that I like that don't give away the storyline. If you haven't read Lady Midnight I'd suggest you don't read this :)

I have eagerly anticipated this book since I finished Lady Midnight and it honestly didn't let me down what so ever. I had the best two girls to buddy Read with Sailor a
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Unpopular opinion time! Meaning I liked it, didn't love it like everyone else in the world! Damn it all!

I was pretty excited for this book to come out. The love triangles in the books get on my nerves so I wasn't drop everything and lets read it now. I just wanted to get through it at one point.

I love Kit's character. I think he's funny and coming into his own at being a Shadowhunter.

I loved that Jace and Clary made another appearance, but I'm worried at one of the things that was told in conf
Amber Robertson
BUDDY READING with my Julian aka Caitlin

I want to die. Everything hurts. I can't breathe. The world is over and I have to wait two years. My soul burns. I honestly didn't expect this. This book is a blessing and my hell. Someone save me.

Cassandra Clare is my queen and has quite literally ripped my heart out of my body and stomped all over it.

My lactose intolerance doesn't agree with this book either; I ate two blocks of chocolate stressing out and now I'm banning myself from buying chocolate b
Lien To
throne of GLASS - city of GLASS (#TMI3)
crown of MIDNIGHT - lady MIDNIGHT (#TDA1)
heir of FIRE - city of heavenly FIRE (#TMI6)
queen of SHADOWS - prince of SHADOWS(#TDA2)

someone has some explaining to do here AHAHAHHAHAH

*edit*: guys I just wanted to make it clear that I absolutely love both series. I didn't mean to accuse or criticize either of the authors- I just found it pretty cool that they had some similar themes running through their titles. Happy reading to you all <3 !
P
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
“He caught her by the wrist, brought her hand to his bare chest. Splayed her fingers over his heart. It beat against her palm, like a fist punching its way through his sternum. “Break my heart,” he said. “Break it in pieces. I give you permission.””

The hardest part of reading this book is you have to put up with an emotional influx, from what Clare always tangles the love of the main characters like Jace and Clary, or Jem and Tessa and Will, I am certain that Julian and Emma will break you ev
Frankie Lovely
5 stars

*UPDATE 6/18/17 - NEW added song suggestions at the bottom of review

>>>>>>>

I have no words right now ... I am in shock

Currently questioning my life and what to do with it for the next two years while I wait for Book 3?

Also can someone come pick up the broken pieces of my soul for me?
Thanks

*Major Cliffhanger warning!* Quite possibly the worse cliffhanger I have ever read. Clare ends this book at the height of major action without having resolved any of the storyline y
alexandra
this review was originally posted on twirling pages

Lord of Shadows left me feeling deceased.

Lord of Shadows was one of my most-anticipated releases of 2017 and i was worried. aside from the obvious fact of PAIN and WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO MY FAVES, i was afraid this installment would disappoint me. the more i read and review novels, the more critical and cynical i get. i rarely enjoy books for the sake of it unless there are low expectations. but with Lord of Shadows, i couldn’t help but have high
may ❀

imagine being so cruel that you end a book LIKE THAT AND HAVE NO REGARD FOR YOUR READER'S PAIN NO O NE TOUCH ME

ms. clare you better fix this mess you made of my soul ily but i need book 3 nOW

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

julian blackthorn marry me please and thanks

Buddy read with my little leek
Caitlin
Can someone actually kill me? The more I think about this book the more I want to curl up in a bawl and die. I also highkey just want to punch Cassie for doing this to us. How dare she 😭

HELLO I AM BACK TO ROUND UP TO 5 STARS EVEN THOUGH ITS 4.5 BECAUSE AMBER REMINDED ME HOW CRAZY THIS PLOT WAS BUT LIKE IT WAS STILL MISSING A LITTLE SOMETHING BUT NOT ENOUGH TO KNOCK OFF A WHOLE STAR

THAT IS ALL GOODBYE

I feel nothing. I am dead inside. Fuck you Cassie Clare. Fuck this book. Fuck my feelings. What t
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)

❝Emma, everyone's afraid of something. We fear things because we value them. We fear losing people because we love them. We fear dying because we value being alive. Don't wish you didn't fear anything. All that would mean is that you didn't feel anything.❞

I DID IT. After months of avoiding, slumping, and adulting... I FINALLY FINISHED. I spent weeks contemplating how I was going to rate Lord of Shadows and I've come to the decision that this sequel was probably a solid 3.5 STARS for me. It p
Prabh⚔
Full review here!!

You actually didn’t expect a full review, did you? Welll, good for you, I like to give surprises and make everyone’s day a thousand times better. (today the sarcasm game is strong. Verrry strong :) :))

Anyway this book was a fucking rollercoaster of emotions (aka the rollercoaster of death)

I cried.

I laughed.

I shrieked and screamed.

Because of my screaming, my lil bro fell off the bed while sleeping. #GoodTimes (he did break my keyboard so… back at ya)

Anyway this review is going
Ashley Nuckles
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
is this what death feels like

(Being overly-dramatic) BUT STILL, this was one crazy ride and THAT ENDING. HOW. WHAT. WHY. WHYYYY. Two years is too long a wait for the conclusion. The Last Hours better be worth it.
Kisses A
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was truly a masterpiece. Darn. I have read over 700 pages in words yet I am speechless with the emotions I currently feel. Full review to come. Cassandra Clare certainly delivered.

Mark (oc my fav character)
description

I'm not gonna do the entire cast but I think this guy would make a great Mark bone structure n all and maybe lighter hair.

I have found the perfect Tiberius Blackthorn! I love him!!!
description

The rest of the "cast" are already in my Lady Midnight review.

Update on Feelings...
I am in the minority
Emma
All the Shadowhunters were beautiful, like moonlight shearing off the edges of broken glass: lovely and deadly. Beautiful things, cruel things, cruel in that way that only people who absolutely believed in the rightness of their cause could be cruel.

I’ve been a massive fan of the Shadowhunters books for almost half of my life. I read TMI—the original trilogy—about nine years ago, and have followed each new release since with great anticipation. (I have a vivid memory of bringing a copy of Cit
Trina (Between Chapters)
I really enjoyed my time spent reading this and was sad when it was over. I listened to the audiobook, which is narrated by James Marsters (who played Spike in Buffy) and he did a great job. I laughed at how the political climate in the Shadowhunter world mirrors some U.S. current events. I looooooved the characters of Kit and Ty. Emotional scenes brought the feels. It was fun to revisit locations from Clare's previous series.

The one thing I really rolled my eyes at was that the romances got tan
Caleb
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-releases
I finished this a month ago but BOIIII
IM HURT
IM NOT OKAY
PLEASE READ THE SHADOWHUNTER BOOKS
How do you feel about *SPOILERS'* death? -And much more 16 205 May 04, 2018 08:24AM
How many LGBT+ characters is too much? (This discussion is closed. Thanks for sharing your opinions!) 11 175 Mar 01, 2018 11:34AM
CRACKPOT THEORIES !!! 1 18 Feb 21, 2018 05:24AM
Fantastic Books a...: Lord of Shadows 1 4 Feb 10, 2018 07:54PM
Kit's mom 7 240 Feb 03, 2018 08:15AM
  • The Silver Mask (Magisterium #4)
  • Legion (Talon, #4)
  • There's Someone Inside Your House
  • Dawn Study (Soulfinders, #3; Study, #6)
  • Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2)
  • Into the Bright Unknown (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #3)
  • Untitled (The Witchlands, #4)
  • The Eye of Andromeda (Age of X, #3)
  • Warcross (Warcross, #1)
  • The Struggle (Titan, #3)
  • Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity, #2)
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
  • Twilight of the Gods
  • Untitled (Shades of London, #4)
  • Now I Rise (And I Darken Series, #2)
  • Freedom's Slave (Dark Caravan Cycle, #3)
  • Untitled (Nightshade Legacy #2; Nightshade World #8)
  • The Dark Days Pact (Lady Helen, #2)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

More about Cassandra Clare

The Dark Artifices (3 books)
  • Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices, #1)
  • Queen of Air and Darkness (The Dark Artifices, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
“There is truth in stories,” said Arthur. “There is truth in one of your paintings, boy or in a sunset or a couplet from Homer. Fiction is truth, even if it is not a fact. If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die.” 386 likes
“Everyone is afraid of something. We fear things because we value them. We fear losing people because we love them. We fear dying because we value being alive. Don't wish you didn't fear anything. All that would mean is that you didn't feel anything.” 368 likes