Start by marking “First Class Murder” as Want to Read:
First Class Murder

First Class Murder

(Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries #3)

A murdered heiress, a missing necklace, and a train full of shifty, unusual, and suspicious characters leaves Daisy and Hazel with a new mystery to solve in this third novel of the Wells & Wong Mystery series.

Hazel Wong and Daisy Wells are taking a vacation across Europe on world-famous passenger train, the Orient Express—and it’s clear that each of their fellow first-
Published April 4th 2017 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published July 30th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about First Class Murder, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Conor Nally That's the plot summary of the fourth book in the series, "Jolly Foul Play".

Maddie
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great mystery solved by Daisy and Hazel! I absolutely loved all the homages to Murder on the Orient Express and the crazy cast of characters, all with a great critic of xenophobia! It's been so great to see the girls in different locations, but I'm really excited for them to get back to their boarding school in the next book.
L.H. Johnson
It's strange, sometimes, how books can make you long to read them and then freeze a little when you have them finally in your hands. And this was one: I love the work of Robin Stevens. I have adored Murder Most Unladylike and Arsenic For Tea. The third in the series, First Class Murder, was something that I was viciously hungry to read - and yet, reluctant to do so. I think that's something that sometimes happens when books are this good, this continual level of good and wonderful writing and pl ...more
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
My favourite of this series yet. I wish that I could hang out with Hazel and Daisy every day and become a member of their detective society. Jolly good show Robin Stevens!
Claire Fayers
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At last! I solved the murder before Daisy and Hazel. I now feel like a real detective and want my own badge. And a bunbreak. Bunbreaks on the Orient Express are in a class of their own, as are the murders - an extra-tricky "locked room" mystery with the added complication of a spy, a jewel thief and a bungling official investigator.

The characters are a joy as always, especially Daisy and Hazel. Hazel has grown up a lot over the last two books and now she begins to realise it, leading to tension
Melanie
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another rippingly good read from Robin Stevens, probably my favourite of Daisy and Hazel's adventures so far! I loved the Christie references and thought the mystery itself was brilliant.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
At least the author admits (in the Afterword) that this is a rewrite of Murder on the Orient Express--if she hadn't done that I wouldn't be surprised if Christie's descendants slapped her with a lawsuit, since all of Agatha's books are still under copyright by the Christie conglomerate. But gosh I wish she could have come up with a better train mystery of her own! After all, Greenwood managed it in Murder on the Ballarat Train. Today's budding serial authors are a bit too lazy, and perhaps the y ...more
Mathew
Even better than the previous two. Stevens is going from strength to strength and I hope she continues to subtly touch upon the themes and history which is so cleverly running beneath the main storyline. Also, I wouldn't mind a little trip to the Pinkertons too!
Carol
A perfect homage to Christie's Murder on the Orient Express! The locked room mystery was solid, and I really loved how Hazel is growing as a character. I can't wait for the next book in the series to be published in the States!
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listen to this as an audio book, it was well read and kept me entertained as I was cleaning my house!

A great continuation of the series. Hazel and Daisy are great characters and the murder was full of mystery.

I did guess who the murder was before the end, (which I didn’t with the other two books) but it didn’t stop my enjoyment.

Also I did enjoy hearing that Daisy had read Murder on the Orient Express! Nice nod to Agatha Christie.

Emma
'Naturally, murder is always rather dreadful...'

I just cannot get enough of Wells and Wong and The Detective Society. From the first delightful sentence I was hooked. Robin Stevens has such a wonderful way with words, she has managed to capture perfectly 1930's England and magic of Golden Age crime mysteries.

With a host of wonderful characters – a Russian Countess, a medium, a magician, a writer and an undercover detective – and an absolutely perfect setting – the Orient Express, I knew I was g
Oda Renate
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Murder most unlalylike\wells and wong story.
I loved the allusions to murder at the orient express, but enjoyed that it wasent a direct retelling.
Meeting Hazels dad was fun as well.
Louise O'Neill
God, these books are a dream. I would have been OBSESSED with these if I had read them as a child but even as an adult, they make for seriously compulsive trading.
Brandy Painter
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This delightful series continues to make me smile. Hazel is coming in to her own so nicely and I can't wait to see how that affects her relationship with Daisy. I can already see more strain starting to develop. I hope that it eventually leads to more growth on Daisy's part. Meanwhile, I love the callbacks to classic mysteries and was delighted to see my two favorites from book two make cameos. Alexander was a great secondary character addition in this as well. I can not wait for the US to catch ...more
Ivy M
I got this book from Goodreads Giveaways in exchange for an honest review.

This book took me back to when I was a kid reading Nancy Drew mystery books. It is set on the Orient Express and although there is a murder it is not anything like the book by Agitha Christie.

Hazel and Daisy are very likeable characters. They clash just enough to make the story interesting. And they get into some fixes that are for sure going to help solve the mystery but at the same time get them in trouble with Hazel's
Maggie (Magsisreadingagain)
The third installment in the Wells and Wong Mystery series sees Hazel and Daisy on holidays with Hazel’s dad, traveling across Europe on the Orient Express. In a wonderful tribute to Agatha Christie, Stevens has written a clever locked-room mystery, complete with jewel theft, murder, espionage and international spy rings. With help from a few of the other passengers, Hazel and Daisy solve the crime, before the adults and authorities can fit all the pieces together. Love this series, looking forw ...more
Carolyn
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Man, this series is serious fun. Even after having to put it down for school reading and studying for an ASTONISHINGLY LONG PERIOD OF TIME (2 MONTHS) I was absorbed right back into the mystery and intrigue upon resumption. Well crafted mystery that had me guessing until the very end. I didn't realize the truth until the characters told me 😂 thanks to Robin Stevens for keeping this naive reader on her toes.
Beverly
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jf-mystery
I really enjoy this mystery series, but be warned, Daisy Wells can be a self-important little ass. I also got annoyed with her because she viewed solving the murder mystery as a competition against other characters in the book, rather than cooperating with others for the sake of justice for the victim. Fortunately, the narrator, Hazel Wong (Daisy's "Watson") has her feet more firmly planted on Terra Firma and is not so self-aggrandizing.
One of the good things about this series is that as it is
Peter
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
A fantastically fun middle-grade murder mystery set on the Orient Express. As always with Robin's mysteries, she had me guessing how it was done until almost the end. A welcome third outing for Daisy and Hazel. I look forward to reading more of their stories.
Luna
The Wells & Wong Mysteries are some of my favourite books and I read the last instalment the minute I got home. I’m not exaggerating! The only thing I did first was make a cup of tea and get some cookies because you can’t read about Hazel and Daisy without bunbreak supplies. It’s essential.

Murder on the Orient Express, again. Only this time it’s Daisy and Hazel who are investigating. Discreetly mind you because Hazel’s father it quite adamant that Hazel is supposed to be a good influence on
Claire Rousseau
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The next installment in the Murder Most Unladylike series, this one follows Hazel & Daisy onto the Orient Express!! I'm not a huge Agatha Christie fan, or a huge fan of mysteries in general, so maybe I missed some references to Murder on the Orient Express, but I really loved this nonetheless.

Hazel & Daisy continue to be great protagonists, growing from one book to the next and dealing with their previous experiences. They’re learning to manage their fears and their feelings as they are
Tara Anderson Gold
Such a cute book for middle grades fans of classic Agatha Christie! I first read The Murder on the Orient Express in eighth grade and instantly loved it, and I know I would have eaten this book up, too.

This is the third in a series, but could be enjoyed without reading the rest. Though I will be going back to read the others because it was such a delightful story!
msBookLand
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just read this book and I think it, like the rest in the series, is fabulous, amazing I love these books so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alyce Hunt
I loved this. Full review coming either tomorrow or Wednesday: it's a gushing one!

EDIT 28/02/2018:

It's the summer hols, so Mr Wong is taking Hazel and Daisy on a trip across Europe on the Orient Express. He's hoping he'll be able to keep them out of trouble: good girls don't do detective work, and he didn't send Hazel to a boarding school in England for her to keep getting herself in trouble.

Unfortunately for Mr Wong, a passenger on the Orient Express has other ideas, and it isn't long before We
Ms. Yingling
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Daisy and Hazel are a bit distraught after the investigation at Daisy's home in Poison is Not Polite, so Mr. Wong has come from Hong Kong to take them to see Europe on the Orient Express. They are on the train with an odd assortment of characters, from the mysterious magician to an unkempt mystery writer to a Russian countess who feels another passenger has jewels that are rightfully hers. There is also "Mrs. Vitellius", who is really a government spy and a
Milliebot
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I continue to be impressed with this series, from the character development to the plot. I can’t wait to read the next book in the series! This is right up at the top of my favorites list with Enola Holmes. The world needs more middle-grade series that are a mix of fun, important topics and bright, empowered youngsters.

I’ve not read any Agatha Christie (for shame, I know!) but I imagine this book is a bit like Murder on the Orient Express junior. The girls are actually on the Orient Express and
Shawne
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
There are few detective novels more perfect than Agatha Christie's MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS, and it's quite brave for any author to try to pay homage to that iconic book - so much could go wrong and so many unfavourable comparisons could be drawn. The shadow of Christie's book (especially its breathtakingly good resolution) would hang over any novel that dares conjure up a locked-room mystery set in the Orient Express as well.

Stevens' third novel in her entirely delightful Wells & Wong s
Christina Reid
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying this series! I feel like each book is stronger than the last, particularly as Hazel comes into her own as a detective and she and Daisy have a more equal partnership. I especially enjoyed the setting of this book on the Orient Express and the classic 'locked-door' mystery. I also enjoyed finally meeting Hazel's father and the small references to the historical situation at the time in Europe, in the lead-up to World War 2. In a way, the casual racism that Hazel and her fathe ...more
Karen
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
My niece and I read aloud the first two volumes of this series when she was 11 and 12. I checked out the third volume this summer, but it turns out that, at 13, she is now too old to be interested in reading out loud with her aunt. (sob!) But it's a good series, and so I read the third volume on my own. It's maybe not quite as good a mystery as the first two volumes, but the presence of Hazel's father means that we get more treatment of ethnic differences in 1930s England. My favorite volume of ...more
Joyce Hertzoff
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am thoroughly enjoying this series of murder mysteries as told by almost fourteen-year-old Hazel Wong, Vice President and Secretary of the Detective Society. She and the society's president The Honourable Daisy Wells are on summer hols, and Hazel's father has taken them on the Orient Express. Not only is there a murder, but also a spy aboard their carriage. And of course the two girls solve the crimes before the adults, finally impressing Mr. Wong.
Anushka R.
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is even better than the last two since it is both loosely based on Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie and the fact that Hazel Wong is getting bolder by the day. She's not the shy, quiet girl anymore; she's finally speaking out, which makes the plot much more interesting. Daisy... I'm sorry Daisy is still somewhat a brat in my opinion, but at least she's accepting Hazel's opinions on their cases.
Readalong BFFBD(ony): PARTE DUE 14 23 Apr 23, 2018 01:28AM
Readalong BFFBD(ony): PARTE SEI 9 20 Apr 22, 2018 07:09AM
Readalong BFFBD(ony): PARTE CINQUE 8 14 Apr 21, 2018 01:23AM
Readalong BFFBD(ony): PARTE QUATTRO 10 13 Apr 19, 2018 02:40PM
Readalong BFFBD(ony): PARTE TRE 12 15 Apr 19, 2018 09:16AM
Readalong BFFBD(ony): PARTE UNA 12 36 Apr 18, 2018 12:48PM

• The Mystery of the Jewelled Moth (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #2)
  • The Case of the Good-Looking Corpse (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #2)
  • Goth Girl and the Wuthering Fright (Goth Girl, #3)
  • The Case of the Stolen Sixpence (Maisie Hitchins, #1)
  • Stolen Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #3)
  • Strange Star
  • The Lost Legacy (The Supernormal Sleuthing Service, #1)
  • The Law of Finders Keepers (Mo & Dale Mysteries, #4)
  • Framed & Dangerous (Sleuth or Dare #3)
  • The Bookshop Girl
  • Dead Man's Handle (Modesty Blaise #12)
  • The Highland Twins at the Chalet School
  • Sawbones
  • The Capture of Cerberus & The Incident of the Dog's Ball
  • The D'Evil Diaries (The D'Evil Diaries, #1)
  • The Skylarks’ War
  • Kidnap in the Caribbean (Laura Marlin Mysteries, #2)
Robin's books are: Murder Most Unladylike (Murder is Bad Manners in the USA), Arsenic for Tea (Poison is Not Polite in the USA), First Class Murder, Jolly Foul Play, Mistletoe and Murder, Cream Buns and Crime, and A Spoonful of Murder. She is also the author of The Guggenheim Mystery, the sequel to Siobhan Dowd's The London Eye Mystery.

Robin was born in California and grew up in an Oxford college

Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Murder Most Unladylike: A Wells & Wong Mystery  (Wells & Wong Mystery, #1)
  • Arsenic for Tea (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2)
  • Jolly Foul Play (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #4)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #5)
  • A Spoonful of Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #6)
  • Cream Buns and Crime: A Murder Most Unladylike Collection, #0.5, 3.5, 4.5 (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #0.5, 3.5, 4.5)
  • Death in the Spotlight (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #7)
  • Top marks for murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #8)
  • A Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries Boxed Set, #2-5 with Gift Journal (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2-5)
  • A Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries Boxed Set, #1-6 with Gift Journal (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #1-6)
“There were always things lurking, ready to throw your life off balance.” 1 likes
“Calais” 0 likes