Start by marking “I Don't Draw, I Color!” as Want to Read:
I Don't Draw, I Color!

I Don't Draw, I Color!

A tale of the power of color.

Isn’t it fun to color?
Every color has a feeling,
just like we do.
Yellow makes us feel happy.
Dark blue can make us feel sad.
Red can seem angry.
Black can look scary.
What color do you feel like today?
Published March 21st 2017 by Simon Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books

To ask other readers questions about I Don't Draw, I Color!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Don't Draw, I Color!

Margie
To receive a new coloring book as a gift as a child is marvelous. If it comes with a new box of crayons or colored pencils it is the best of the best. The possibilities the coloring book and box of crayons offer the recipient are endless.

The trend in adult coloring books beginning several years ago can be attributed to many things but two are the inner child in all of us wants to play and they remind us of childhood. A sense of calm is supplied by coloring, like a form of mediation for those see
Julie
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
I have mixed feelings about this book which begins with a child comparing their drawings to that of other children and falling short. When we compare, we have a tendency to not compare like with like. Also, the drawings looked a lot like my children's around that age and I cherished them and have kept a few. One of my children now makes his living from his art. I can't imagine if he had just given up drawing from unfavorable comparisons to others. Then, having extolled the virtues of coloring ra ...more
Cindy Hudson
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A child who sees that his drawings aren’t technically as precise as what others can do knows how to express his emotions through color on the page. Felicita Sala’s illustrations capture bright and muted emotions expressed in lines that can be straight, jagged, or squiggly. When the child is asked to draw a self-portrait, it’s the combination of colors and lines that show how he sees himself. It’s a great way for kids to learn how to express complex emotions that they may not be able to easily co ...more
Breanne
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
This is a neat book about coloring and the imagination that can come from it. However, in order to praise the love of coloring it totally rips down drawing and those who draw. The kid actually draws a picture and says it is horrible. My sweet 4 year old, who loves to draw and color, sadly looked at me and said, "Then he doesn't think my drawing looks good because his looks better than mine. I guess I can't draw anymore." What? NO! I dont think that was the intent of the author or the illustrator ...more
Lynn  Davidson
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A child cannot draw well, but expresses himself through colours. Gorgeous.
Kimberly
This book speaks to me as someone who also cannot draw but loves to color.
Amy Layton
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
What a creative, colorful book!  This book neither privileges nor underprivileges any art form, and just celebrates the ways in which the main character expresses himself--which is art in itself.  This is fantastic for kids in first to third grade, and perfect for any art classroom.  The illustration in this book is phenomenal, beautiful, and meaningful as the color seeps into the protagonist's profile as he discusses all the colors that he is.  Definitely a must-read.

Review cross-listed here!
Ben Truong
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I Don't Draw, I Color! is a children's picture book written by Adam Lehrhaupt and illustrated by Felicita Sala, which tells a story about a boy who isn't proficient in drawing, but is remarkable in coloring and the meaning behind the colors.

Lehrhaupt's text is simplistic and straightforward. It is a story about a boy who is not that great of an artist, but an excellent colorist and really knows the meaning behind the colors and how they are colored. Sala's illustrations is the crux of the book –
Nicola
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Miss 3 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.

This is the kind of book that will have different meaning to different ages; given the character is meant to be age 6-10 parents might want to adjust the wording on the pages where he feels sad about his attempts to draw. (I note that
Becky
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I Don't Draw, I Color! Adam Lehrhaupt. Illustrated by Felicita Sala. 2017. Simon & Schuster. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Some people are really good at drawing. But my puppies look like mush. My cars look like lumps...or like boxes...or this. Do these look like people to you? I didn't think so. So, I don't draw. I color.

Premise/plot: The star of this charming picture book doesn't draw--he colors. This book celebrates art and individuality.

My thoughts: I really loved thi
Jana
This sweet picture book celebrates the creativity inside everyone, no matter what form it takes. The narrator of the book believes he's not very good at drawing, but uses colors, textures, and lines to express emotion, personality, and thoughts. The underlying message is that all children can express themselves, and there's no right or wrong way to do it. The illustrations of this book are rendered in watercolors, drawing and colored pencils, and crayons. The artist really represented the artwor ...more
Lynn
This boy makes a clear distinction between coloring and drawing.
I wonder why brown is 'messy' and, if I read this aloud, would provide lots of discussion about what different colors 'represent' certain emotions or states of being.
Full color illustrations done in watercolors, drawing & colored pencils, and crayons are simple splotches of drawings. This book may help show that art does not have to be perfect.
Gwen Ayler
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The illustrations of this story are what really pulled me in. The way colors and styles of drawing are used to show so many different emotions and feelings. This would be a great book to read to grade school children who may feel like they aren't so great at something their classmates all seem to excel in. Just because you can't do everything exactly as them doesn't mean you can't do other things wonderfully!
Virginia
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book that explores the expressiveness of color and line. I think it might encourage children to explore art more fully, especially those children who already doubt they can draw. I plan to read this book to my kindergarten enrichment class after break and have them write in their journals. I look forward to seeing their works of self-expression!!!
nikki
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, picture-books
hmmm i'm not sure this would work well in a regular storytime of picture books and songs, BUT in a special storytime program that includes crafts, this would be a good ending book for an art or emotions-themed program, leading into having the kids draw or paint self-portraits, using colour to express themselves
Julie Kirchner
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book because it made me think of myself and how I hate to draw but I love to color! Part of the reason has to do with lack of confidence in my drawing skills and I could see kids, like me, who could relate and appreciate the growth mindset message in this story. I'm excited to share it with students.
Stephanie
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can relate to the boy in the story because even as an adult my drawings do not look the way they should. But I Love to color its so relaxing and enjoyable! Perfect for teaching about art and emotions! A great companion to my many colored days by Dr. Seuss! LOVE It
Christine Turner
ATA storytime kit -- Art

This book works well for all ages and it includes vocabulary for art elements.

"A boy discovers that even if he does not draw, he can be an artist and express himself through coloring"-- Provided by publisher.

Kristin
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was this kid. I couldn't draw worth a lick, but boy could I color! When I got into art as a teenager, I painting was my forte, not sketching. I like how this book focused on the boy's interests and talents and showed how he could express himself in different ways.
Samantha
A child explains how he is best able to express himself through coloring as opposed to drawing. The text lends itself well to reading aloud with PreK-2 and the watercolor, drawing/colored pencils, and crayons do a great job of showcasing the boy's passion and making his point.
Miss Sarah
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book about a child who colors instead of draws. The book begins with the child saying his drawing isn't very good but with color he can express so much. I love the ending and found it inspiring. Right toddlers and up.
Beth
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This started wonderfully with a perfect explanation of abstract art and I thought it would be an excellent read aloud especially before a trip to an art museum and then the last page fell back into a dull representational portrait and I was left hanging.
Heidi
Gorgeous illustrations. Bravo to the author for portraying a confident protagonist who isn’t shy about saying he doesn’t do one thing well but man, can he do another. Pair this with Peter J. Reynolds’ “The Dot.”
Jillian Heise
Seems to be a book about art/color, which would be a great content connection for art teachers/class, but at it's heart, it's really a book about identify and self-expression and confidence in being yourself.
Colleen
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
It's hard to find good color/visual and emotional literacy books. I think this is great. Good for a preschool and older storytime.
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Nice companion to Niko Draws a Feeling, the Dot and Ish. Great addition to the art educator's library. Good for color theory and lessons about abstract expressionism/color-field painting.
Alyssa Tabor
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Probably will skip for storytime.
Diane
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
"When I color, I can express myself without drawing anything."

Steph
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Art teachers... it's a good one! :-)
Michele Knott
Adding it to the growth mindset shelf - self-expression, creativity, strengths.... different for everyone!

• Niko Draws a Feeling
  • What If...
  • The Wonder
  • Vincent Paints His House
  • The First Drawing
  • Between the Lines: How Ernie Barnes Went from the Football Field to the Art Gallery
  • Emily's Blue Period
  • Bloom: A Story of Fashion Designer Elsa Schiaparelli
  • Renato and the Lion
  • Louise Loves Art
Adam Lehrhaupt is the award-winning author of Warning: Do Not Open This Book!, Please: Open This Book!, Chicken in Space (A six book series: Book 2 Chicken in School lands June 20, 2017), I Will Not Eat You and the upcoming I Don't Draw, I Color (March 21, 2016), Wordplay (July 2017), Idea Jar (Fall 2017), and This is a Good Story (Spring, 2018). He has traveled to six continents, performed on Bro ...more