Start by marking “Blacksouls (Blackhearts, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blacksouls (Blackhearts, #2)

Blacksouls (Blackhearts #2)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  551 Ratings  ·  146 Reviews
Nicole Castroman brings the dangerous pirate ports of the Caribbean to life in this vibrant sequel to Blackhearts—the reimagined origin story of history’s most infamous pirate, Blackbeard.

Edward “Teach” Drummond is setting sail to the Caribbean as first mate on the most celebrated merchant ship in the British fleet—until he rebels against his captain. Mutiny is a capital o
Published April 11th 2017 by Simon Pulse

Nicole Castroman
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm so happy that Anne and Teach's story continues in BLACKSOULS! The sequel to BLACKHEARTS is a lot more swashbuckling than its predecessor. It shows Anne and Teach leaving a level of high society behind and descending into their roles in this pirate origin story.

(I'm excited for people to read BLACKHEARTS, a Blackbeard origin story. This is my imagining of what led him to become one of the most notorious pirates to sail the seas. I feel I need to caution readers...the story takes place in Eng
Ben Alderson
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this sequel!
What i love about this series is the pacing and the characters. Anne and Teach were so cool in the first book but I also have fallen in love with so many new characters in this second book.

I also loved the setting for this one. Actually reading about sailing the sea and the terminology the pirates use was so interesting!

Alyssa
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-releases
3.5 stars. Rounding down to 3 star for now.

There was nothing really wrong with this book. I think it just didn't totally work for me, at this time. I was kind of bored?

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Blacksouls by Nicole Castroman
Book Two of the Blackhearts series
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: April 11, 2017
Rating: 3 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles)
Read my full review of Blacksouls

All of the pirate books I read in the future will be measured against Blacksouls because this is the swashbuckling tale that I've been waiting for all of my life. I originally picked it up, only planning on reading a few chapters before bed since it was already pretty late, but before I knew it—it was 4 a.m. and I had read the entire thing. This heart-stopping book absolutely demanded to be read and I was literally unable to put it down. In fact, I had adrenaline
Celise
pirates photo tumblr-one1ftfyin1qauc46o2-540_1_orig.gif
Brace yourselves for some snark and pirate gifs.

What does a girl have to do to find a good pirate novel these days? If Eden's Promise made me question my course, Blacksouls is the one that's taken the wind right out my sails. The disappointment is real.

Please note before reading on that this is a very subjective kind of review. Others might not have the same issues.

Oh boy.
Where to start?

So this is a fictional telling of how Edward Teach became the notorious Blackbeard. I think it's more a ro
kariny
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I RECEIVED A FREE ARC FOR THE BLOG TOUR*
Come check out the giveaway on my blog!

After being separated, Anne is sailing on The Providence to Nassau, hoping that Teach got her message and would come after her. She befriends a pair of siblings-Cara and Coyle-who take her under their wing. Teach is trying to keep his identity a secret on his father's ship, The Deliverance, so that he can go after Anne. But being First Mate leaves him to deal with a cowardly and stupid captain and it isn't long b
Sarah (What Sarah Read)
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-releases
Not gonna lie, I've been looking forward to this book for a LONG time. Ever since I read "Blackhearts"  over a year ago and fell in love with Nicole Castroman 's writing, I've been dying to read the sequel. You can read my review of Blackhearts here  to see exactly how much I loved it and at the very end you'll also see how nervous I was that there wouldn't be a sequel. Thankfully, my worries were put to rest when I heard about "Blacksouls" and all I had to do was WAIT! So, was the wait worth ...more
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I went into this thinking there was no way I was going to love this as much as Blackhearts but boy was I wrong!! I LOVED IT MORE! Yasssss I finally got my pirates!!! And Simon & Schuster BETTER sign you for a book 3 because I need MORE Anne and Teach! Also I want to see them go to Jamaica!
Stacee
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
After that ending on Blacksouls, I was so eager to get my hands on this book. And my main take away is that there better be another book.

I especially loved Anne this time around. She refused to be left behind or wait while the men handled things. She learns things to take care of herself and it just endeared her to me so much. Teach, of course, is lovely and the scenes with them together were adorable.

The story is fast paced, the bad guys were especially bad, and the ending was satisfying, I'm
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
My soul needs this book, so the blackness fades away. Only Teach can do that!!

A million congratulations to Nicole for getting a sequel for Blackhearts. <3
Ana (Owl Always Be Reading)
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Blog Link: http://www.owlalwaysbereading.com/201...

When I finished Blackhearts last year, my heart was broken into a million pieces. I cried so much at that ending. I literally went online and looked up everything that I could find on Black Beard. I knew that the year-long wait was going to be brutal, and it was. But when I managed to get a copy of the book in my little ol’ hands, I was one happy book nerd. And I can honestly say, the wait was bad, but it was well worth it. Nicole Castroman did
Bee {Quite the Novel Idea}
YAS I'M SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW! It'll be more pirate-y and it'll be glorious, I just know it.
Amber
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review based on review copy

3.75 stars (because I'm difficult)

Blacksouls has 100% more pirates!

Plot: Earlier this year, I read and loved Blackhearts. I loved how Castroman took her time to explore the characters and really set the scene. Admittedly, Blackhearts was a rather slow-paced book, but the character dynamics kept me glued to the pages. Blacksouls did a complete 180 in terms of pacing. Starting immediately after the events of Blackhearts, Blacksouls was full of exciting battles and surpri
YA and Wine
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s rare that I enjoy a sequel to a book that I loved even more than the original, but that was certainly the case with Blacksouls. This book is adventurous and swoony but also has some really important messages and themes as well.

Blacksouls was an absolute pleasure to read. I fell in love with this series with Blackhearts, but I actually enjoyed this second book even more. Nicole Castroman took everything great that she had going on in Blackhearts and just really took it to the next level.

One
Sophie (Blame Chocolate)
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Full review at Blame Chocolate.

I am conflicted with this one.

I could tell the author's writing and plotting greatly matured. Yet for a great part of the novel, I was not as engaged as I'd hoped. Which made me a bit sad, because this one was clearly better than the previous one in so many ways, especially when it came to structure.

Plot and character-wise, Blacksouls definitely stood out and made for a much more complex and interesting story than its prequel. It was just very well-constructed, no
Katherine
Jun 30, 2016 marked it as maybe
I WAS PROMISED MOTHERFUCKING PIRATES, AND NO FUCKING PIRATES SHOWED UP.

That was my quote from my review of Blackhearts, in which I was promised said pirates and none conveniently showed up. In a story about Edward Teach (Blackbeard), who's the most famous pirate in the history of pirates. At the time of said publication, the author firmly stated that it was a standalone novel.

Now we have this to ponder over. In which there is a sequel and Poldark Teach is going to start transforming into Bla
Robin Lucas
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I adored every page of this book!
Blacksouls is more than a Blackbeard origin story, it's the story of Anne as well. She has a pirate's heart as much as Teach does, which is why they're perfect for each other.
From the lush imagery of the Caribbean to the action and swoony romance, I was enraptured from page 1.
I cannot wait to read more about Anne and Teach.
Rachel
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, for-review
An action-packed, heartbreaking, and riveting sequel, BLACKSOULS continues the tale of Teach and Anne as they each set sail for Nassau with the hope of reuniting and establishing a life together. Theirs is a treacherous journey filled with dangerous obstacles, devastating losses, brutal enemies, and unexpected allies. It will test their strength, loyalty, and resilience. And it will awaken their hunger for justice and unleash their thirst for revenge.

Anne was anxious about arriving in Nassau wit
The Captain
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Hearty har har me mateys! Time to hear about a fellow grand and glorious sea dog . . .

If ye haven’t read the first book in this series, blackhearts, then ye might want to skip this post and go read the first book. Worth the read. If ye keep reading this log then ye have been forewarned and continue at yer own peril . . .

So I am assuming most of me readers have heard of the fearsome Blackbeard who sailed the waters of the West Indies on the Queen Anne’s Revenge. The first book sets up the “true”
Karen • The Book Return
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
‘Blacksouls’ is the sequel to Nicole Castroman’s début novel ‘Blackhearts’. It tells of the story of young ‘Black Beard’ the pirate and the women he loves, Anne. I was able to understand what was happening in ‘Blacksouls’ without having read 'Blackhearts' first (although I plan on reading it). If I had known that this series was about ‘Black Beard’ the pirate, I would have begun it sooner. When I was a kid I saw the move ‘Black Beard’s Ghost’ and since then have been fascinated with the pirate.

Ashley Marsh
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, 2017
I enjoyed this more than I expected to. While I loved the basic storyline, I think the dialogue could benefit from some heavy editing. I really liked it, but I didn't love it. However, I think this finally got me back to reading, as I've been struggling to finish a book for months. Anne and Teach are great, but there are so many new characters to fall in love with, and I'm really hoping that a third book gets announced soon. The ending was far too open. I'm really hoping for more.
Lauren - SERIESous Books
4.5/5
I found the first little bit slow but once the plot became more apparent, it was hard to put down.
Definitely the sequel I wanted!
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
You didn't read Blackhearts? Ok, so you should go do that! Because, while I didn't love it as much as this one, you really do need its background to understand the relationships in this book, and the storyline, really. If you don't go read it, you're selling yourself short if you don't! Plus, you might just see some spoilers in this review, and I wouldn't want that for you!

This book picks up where Blackhearts left off. Anne has left England and Teach has jumped ship to try and find her. They sai
Izzy
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
So good even better than the first one! More pirates! More action! And some more love!
Jeanna
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
There's pirates, a gorgeous romance and a swashbuckling adventure!

Blacksouls by Nicole Castroman begins right where we left off in Blackhearts. Anne is sailing to a ruthless island in the Caribbean. And Teach is close behind her, intent on reaching her before anything dire happens. However when they arrive, Teach is charged with mutiny and the only way out is to make a deal with the governor. He must track down a notorious pirate and return him to the island. But all is not what they seem. Blac
Mic
3.5???

Good beginning, meh middle, better end.

Anne and Teach are a precious otp, and Anne's new pirate lady friend Reva is 10000000% amazing, and so is her normal lady friend Cara. This book should have had more Reva and Cara. Also Teach's crew of lads are adorable babies and I'm (view spoiler). Castroman's characters are something fierce! The dynamics between them all made this book super enjoyable.

Just like the first book, I found this on
Xandra (Literary Legionnaire)
Mar 18, 2016 marked it as physical-tbr
I NEED THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW OH MY WORD I NEED IT SO BADLY.
Trisa
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of Blacksouls as part of the FFBC Blog Tour in exchange for an honest review.

Enter the GIVEAWAY on my blog, Absolute Bookishness. (Ends 5/3/2017.)

A lovers’ drama sails across the open seas in Nicole Castroman’s long-awaited second installment in the Blackhearts series. A tale of two lovers–Anne Barrett and Edward “Teach” Drummond–trying to carve out their own existence in a world where wicked men with even more sinister aims wield unnatural stores of resources and power.
Perpetual YA Book...: Blacksouls 1 4 May 05, 2017 10:03AM
Nicole was lucky enough to come with her very own best friend...she has a twin sister who can read her mind and finish her sentences for her.

At the age of 13, she went to Europe for the first time and it changed her life. She loves learning about different people, languages and cultures and speaks fluent German. She knows enough Spanish to get herself into trouble and can still read the Cyrillic
More about Nicole Castroman

Blackhearts (2 books)
  • Blackhearts (Blackhearts, #1)

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)