Start by marking “Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy” as Want to Read:
Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy

Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy

(Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy #1-6)

The Lumberjanes and Gotham Academy kids team up!

DREAM TEAM UP!

When a teacher at Gotham Academy goes missing, it’s up to Olive, Maps, Colton, Pom, and Kyle to figure out what is happening and how to get her back. With only an outdated birthday invitation as the clue, they find themselves in the middle of the woods with no idea of where to start. With the sudden appearance
Published March 7th 2017 by BOOM! Box

Start your review of Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy
Calista
This a cross promotion between Lumberjanes, which I love, and Gotham Academy who I did not know. The characters are all here and it was interesting. It also bored me some. The art didn't look right for our characters and I didn't like the story of getting stuck in this lodge. I liked some of the takes on the 80s. I feel it could have been a better story and better art work so the characters looked right. Half the book everyone wore prom clothes. Also Rosy was in this episode like never before ...more
Sesana
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, comics
It's interesting how this crossover emphasized to me how great Lumberjanes is and how less-than-great Gotham Academy is. It certainly helps that this is a very Lumberjanes sort of story, with weird crap happening in the woods that gets solved through the power of friendship, etc. But it did sort of underscore the thing that's niggled at me about Gotham Academy that I haven't really been able to put my finger on, that everything, all the time, is all about Olive. Which... I like Olive, but. When ...more
Ana
I came to this comic because I'm a fan of the Lumberjanes so I assumed that the point of this crossover was to get people interested in the Gothan Academy and vice versa. But while the art was great, there were too many characters and the plot was so paper thin that, had I not been invested in the lumberjanes, I would have dropped this book. Also '80s throwbacks are not for me.
Alison
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I enjoyed seeing these two worlds collide! The Lumberjane girls are my favorite and I enjoyed Gotham Academy and I was pleasantly surprised to find that their personalities didn't overlap too much.
This was fun and the story line was different and funny, though it lulled at times.
My one complaint was with the art; it wasn't that it wasn't beautiful art, but that I kept getting some of the characters confused because they looked the same (Mal, Pom, Jo for example).
k
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was cute as hell and i thought the art was a great blend of the two styles
Amanda
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my introduction to Gotham Academy, but I loved reading this and Gotham Academy sounds so good too!!
Chris Lemmerman
[Read as single issues]

Considering the characters involved in Gotham Academy and Lumberjanes, a crossover between the two seems like a perfect idea. In execution, it's not quite as perfect as I'd have hoped it'd be.

To summarise the plot quickly, the 'janes and the Academy kids all meet in the creepy woods around the camp, and get embroiled in a time-travel/magical/weird plot surrounding a woman trapped in time because her birthday party got ruined. Typical fare for both series, if we're honest.

L. McCoy
April: Hi, I’m April, one of the main characters of Lumberjanes!
Olive: I’m Olive, one of the main characters of Gotham Academy.
L.: I’m L., the asshole writing this review.
O: Come on, I’m looking at your review for Gotham Academy, Vol. 1: Welcome to Gotham Academy right now and you seem very nice!
A: Yeah and I’m reading your review for Beware the Kitten Holy and... oh no. What does that even mean? Is that a comment about...? I never seen so much swearing in my life!
L: Well, I suppose I gotta
Dan
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This was okay...not a big fan of the art but at least it was consistent.
Devann

I've read just about everything from Lumberjanes but know absolutely nothing about Gotham Academy. This volume does an okay job of introducing the new [to me] characters, but honestly it was a lot to handle at times. You've got about 13 main characters to juggle, half of whom are probably unfamiliar to most readers, and thanks to the somewhat ambiguous art and similar hairstyles it's occasionally hard to tell a few of them apart. The plot was okay, although honestly there's a bit more ~teen
Jasmine
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is what I've been waiting for from the Lumberjanes. I also liked being introduced to the kids from Gotham Academy also. I wish I had read a book or so from them but I caught on quick enough. Now I'm going to read those ones also.

The plot was fantastic, the art amazing, the color was great, and the monsters were creepy. I didn't know I could get everything I'd ever want from this graphic novel when I checked it out on a whim.
Chad
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Good: Great idea for a crossover. I did like the 80's references and the use of the Cow Skulls from Time Bandits.

The Bad: A lot of characters to juggle to the point where it was difficult for anyone to stand out. Plus, the story really dragged in the middle. Probably could have shortened this by 2 issues.

The Ugly: The art didn't help. It wasn't bad, but all of the characters looked the same.
Sara
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wasn’t quite sure what to expect as I’ve never read Gotham Academy before (I have read a bunch of Lumberjanes though) but this was pretty damn good!! The art was cute, the plot was cool and the skeleton/evil spirit things were rad as hell!
Megan
As a fan of both Lumberjanes and Gotham Academy, this was a crossover I was looking forward to. Unfortunately, it was a bit of a letdown. It was still an enjoyable read, just not quite as much as I'd hoped.

The cover of the book is beautiful. I was hoping it would be representative of the art inside, but it definitely is not. The story's art isn't bad, but it's much simpler. That style suits the Lumberjane girls, but not the Gotham Academy kids. A good chunk of the story takes place in a cabin
Natalie Patalie
Was hoping to like this a lot more. How on earth does a comic manage to have sooo much dialogue? It felt like they really just wanted to write fanfic, but needed to squish it into a comic book format. The large amount of text squished into the small speech bubbles became tedious to read. The illustrations weren't bad, however they didn't resemble either Lumberjanes or Gotham Academy AT ALL, so between that and the huge character roster, it was sometimes hard to tell everyone apart.
In a nutshell:
Katbyrdie
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS IS THE MOST MAGICAL GRAPHIC NOVEL IN THE FUCKING WORLD AND I WANT SO MUCH MORE!!!! I'm going to need Maps and Ripley to have their own spinoff and volumes and volumes of future adventures. Also, only with LJ and GA do you get a female antagonist that isn't an actual villain. BLESS. GIVE ME MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Angela Johnson
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was actually perhaps my favorite Lumberjanes... I'm not sure why. It just seemed a bit more involved, perhaps? I loved the whole plot line and enjoyed the illustrations. I always love the cover galleries at the back of the volumes too.
Mallory
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god, this was so amazing.
Heatherblakely
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review to come but I love these variants! So many artists put Mal and Molly together and it's making my heart burst (and Natacha Bustos' Issue #6 main cover has April and Olive looking at each other and now I want that to be a thing).

Review:

This is a great book if you're a fan of and are familiar with both Lumberjanes and Gotham Academy. If you're only familiar with one, you'll likely be confused, because there are SO many characters to keep track of, and you'll understand more if you know the
Loki
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A team-up between two of the funnest young adult oriented comics out there, this book's seams are barely visible. The two teams mix together so well that you'll start to lose track of which character is from which book - but don't worry, you'll be enjoying yourself so much you won't care. If you're a fan of just one of these series, you'll probably enjoy the other one - this is the perfect way to find out :)
Samantha
I've never read gotham academy and frankly it's hard enough keeping up with the lumberjanes characters without dumping another six into the mix but they all worked together to solve a problem. it was kind of reminiscent of a scooby doo mystery, except the magic was real. it's fine. like I always say, if you're a kid, these are probably awesome. they're just too young for me, yet I keep reading them. it's not a huge investment in time.
Alison (ageekyreader)
Normally I don’t find all ages comics so heavy handed, but this one, particularly towards the end, was beating you with a hammer to get the messages across.

I also found it really hard to keep track of characters in this volume because each group of kids wasn’t in their typical art style or clothes, so it made it difficult to keep track other than by hair style.

In theory this was a fun idea, but I didn’t find myself wanting to pick it up at all.
Kales
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the best cross over ever! The story might have been a little lame and a little preachy but that's not why I read these. I read it for the characters and I loved these characters and all of their interactions.

Conclusion: To Buy
Jessica
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was a lot of fun. As always a nice moral to the story and the importance of having a good group of friends to drive the message home.

Favorite mix? Ridley and Maps. I want a series of just those two fighting (or riding) dinosaurs.
Amy!
The characters from both these series are ones I would enjoy reading about even if the story wasn't so great, but the story here is fun and campy and kind of silly. But mostly I just really enjoyed the Lumberjanes and the Gotham Academy kids interacting. I would definitely read more of this.
Nicole
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
The story was pretty great and this is a crossover match made in heaven but something about the art felt very sloppy/lazy and I wasn't feeling it
Nadin
Fun to read. Though I missed a bit the true Lumberjanes vibe - as the kids are locked up in a mysterious 80s mansion ...
Britt
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, though the Gotham academy kids were largely unnecessary. A weak lumberjanes story, but it was great for Gotham. 2.5 stars.
John
Apr 23, 2017 rated it liked it
The plot was OK, but the characters were too talky for my taste, particularly during the climax, and I just didn't think the Lumberjanes were drawn with the same flair as in their own series.
Le Mot Juste
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
The funnest (idc if it's not/is a word) team up you'll ever read! So happy that Boom Studios & DC collabed to make this awesome crossover!!

If you've read either title, I highly recommend picking this one up! It's the perfect summer time graphic novel The authors and creaters blended the two universes (or are they in one cannon universe now?) so seamlessly in terms of character interactions and dialogues, as well as tonality and themes.

The same creepy and supernatural hijinks in both
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Goldie Vance, Vol. 3
  • Lumberjanes 2017 Special: Faire and Square #1
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 2
  • Lumberjanes: Beyond Bay Leaf Special #1
  • Giant Days, Vol. 7 (Giant Days, #7)
  • Lumberjanes: Unicorn Power! (Lumberjanes, #1)
  • Giant Days Vol. 8 (Giant Days, #8)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 9 (Giant Days #9)

Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy (6 books)
  • Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy #1
  • Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy #2 (of 6)
  • Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy #3 (of 6)
  • Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy #4
  • Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy #5 (of 6)
  • Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy #6 (of 6)