Start by marking “Sink or Swim (Lumberjanes, Vol. 6)” as Want to Read:
Sink or Swim (Lumberjanes, Vol. 6)

Sink or Swim

(Lumberjanes (Collected Editions) #6)

Knot on your life!

All is fair in love and badges! Or so April, Jo, Mal, Molly, and Ripley thought until they met the mysterious counselor, Seafarin’ Karen. When the Lumberjanes decide it's time to learn more about the theatrical yet intriguing counselor, things take a turn for the strange. Between a sudden storm hitting the camp, shapeshifters, and strange portals,
this is
Published April 11th 2017 by BOOM! Box (first published April 10th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Sink or Swim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sink or Swim

Start your review of Sink or Swim (Lumberjanes, Vol. 6)
Heidi The Reader
I found the art to be lower quality in this entry- just like the last one. The story, of course, is still awesome.

There's magic in this story and mystery, fantastical beings and Lumberjanes. The girls continue to earn badges and amaze with their brilliance and power.

Highly recommended to reluctant readers and not-so-reluctant ones.
Calista
The Lumberjanes are back at the water, this time to learn to tie knots with seafarin' Karin and prove they know team work. Selkies have stolen Karin's boat and she needs to get it back. The girls split up and Molly and Ripley go searching for Bear Woman. The other are going to help Karin get her boat back.

The girls have so much energy. This series is all about the fun. I think this was a great volume. I'll be going forward with this. I want to know when the movie is coming out because this is a
Danika at The Lesbrary
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
They kiss in this one! So cute.
Laura D
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Can't quite give it 3 stars. This series has definitely lost it a initial charm from around volume 4.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This is the first issue in the series that I've given less than 4 stars, and I don't think it's any coincidence that it's the point in the series where Noelle Stevenson has stopped writing for the Lumberjanes books entirely and has handed it over to Shannon Watters. Without Noelle's fantastically unique art style or her precious and funny writing, this volume fell very short for me. I think I'll give volume 7 a try to see if it's just growing pains from the transition of authors, but if volume 7 ...more
Victoria ♡
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-comics
Yes!! I'm such a MalxMolly shipper!

Another good volume, I loved the pirate ship (!!) and I'm really loving the different art style. I know a lot of people were meh since the style change but I think it's charming. Can't wait to get to volume 7.
Billie
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I never thought I'd say it, but I may be breaking up with the Lumberjanes. The magic of the first few volumes has been missing in the last two and the cartoony art style of this arc adds to the feeling that the 'Janes are headed closer to the mainstream. I still think that Lumberjanes, as a whole, is an important comic for kids, but it was better when it wasn't so blatantly trying to be "for kids".
Katie.dorny
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
This was a disappoint compared to the their lumberjane I read. Maybe because it had a different writer (Noelle) but this wasn't as funny to me.
The story was just as original, and I love Mal and her lesbian relationship - but something just felt missing for me.
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I think this series is doing longer story arcs now and I'm really loving it! This would be 5 stars if it were Noelle Stevenson or Brooke Allen doing the art. I just don't love the recent artist changes as much.
Ana
Pirates, wormholes and lumberjanes go together like milk and cookies...
Ashley
I don't know, I think I might stop reading this series? It's gone from manic and bubbly and full of cleverness and energy, to being just a mundane kids comic. I didn't laugh once, and I miss the original art. (Halfway through I realized Noelle Stevenson wasn't credited on anything but the cover, and I'm thinking that's a huge factor.)

[2.5 stars]
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Seafarin' Karen is my patronus.
Laura (bbliophile)
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I NEED THE NEXT VOLUME NOW WHY ISN'T IT AVAILABLE YET
Lata
The Roanoke gang cannot get a badge without experiencing mayhem and danger while hanging out with fantastic beings. This time, it's Seafarin' Karen, a werewolf who's also a counsellor, and selkies, who have a grudge against Karen. April decides she wants to get the knot badge, and before you know it, half the gang is marooned in the sea with angry selkies, while the other half is trying to get info from Bear woman.
The art is in a looser style than the original issues, and I'm pleased that Molly
Sara
This issue was marginally better than Vol. 5's lackluster foray into the battle of the mermaid heavy metal bands though the action is once again taking place on the lake at Miss Qiunzella Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpet's Camp for Hardcore Lady Types.

This time the Janes are attempting to earn their knot tying badges. New counselor Seafarin' Karen informs them that they need to earn the badges as a team and the girls are nonplussed to have their teamwork skills called into question. April on
Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods*
Just okay. I don't care for the art style that took over starting in volume 5; too uniformly blocky and cartoony. It was always cartoony, but with a lot more variety between the characters previously, and the mysterious visual quality of the camp and environs is gone.

Similarly, the writing has gone downhill. It feels as though they are trying too hard; the characters are too set and static, and the charm is gone.

I hope future volumes turn back around. There was so much promise built up in the
Darinda
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
A new camp counselor, Seafarin' Karen, works at the camp and has the girls working on their maritime badges.

Lumberjanes, Volume 6: Sink or Swim contains comics #21-24 in the series.
#21 - A new camp counselor is working at camp.
#22 - The Lumberjanes help Seafarin' Karen get her boat back.
#23 - A storm causes problems for the Lumberjanes as they help Seafarin' Karen.
#24 - The Lumberjanes wrap up helping Seafarin' Karen.
Amanda
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one had a much more interesting storyline than volume 5, and I loved the hints at further supernatural shenanigans. Still getting used to the new illustration style, though it’s always interesting seeing how different artists portray the characters.
Ellyn   → Allonsythornraxx
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-gns, lgbtqia
30/10/2017

I loved this, I hadn't realised how much I missed reading this series.
Allie
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
For me, this series has lost its oomph.
Stewart Tame
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Lumberjanes get a new counselor: Seafarin’ Karen. And with name like that, can some sort of nautical adventure be in the offing? Mmmmmmm … could be.

The ‘Janes must split their forces, with some of them helping Karen retrieve her ship from a band of mischievous selkies, and the rest off to assist the Bear Woman in closing off portals. Naturally the two tasks turn out to be related …

General quality remains high. I love the characters and all the ways that they banter back and forth. I love the
Linda
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019

The illustrations in this volume were by Carey Pietsch. They were decent enough, but I prefer the Brooke Allen illustrations.

I enjoyed the storyline in this volume, going through the portals with Bear Woman again, but with chaotic Ripley this time. I thought the character Seafarin’ Karen added some interest and humor. Plus, yay for more badges!

Remember: “If you can’t tie a knot, tie a lot.”
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sink or Swim is the sixth volume (so far) in the Lumberjanes series. After having read it, I can safely say that the series is holding up. Though really, what’s not to like? It revolves around a group of insane and kick-ass girls determined to do this their own way. Naturally the end result to this will be wild adventures.
I may be a bit biased in saying that I love the Lumberjanes series, as I am really very fond of the chosen art style for the series. Even with an artist change the style itsel
Williesun
I don't really know if I can give LJ much lower ratings. It's so unlike everything else I read and it is full of friendship and weird magical creatures, I cannot do anything but love it.

So this issue features some more insight into the portals that keep appearing, the Bear Woman and also Molly might have some foreshadowing of her future. I may have been interpreting too much with that last point though.

Also, if you're a werewolf fan, this is your volume #justsaying
Alison
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS
This was kind of a slow volume compared to some of the others but I felt like we got some glimpses into the characters' futures. I wished there had been more information revealed about the magic surrounding the camp, but this was still fun and fast paced.
also THE SHIP IS STRONG. literally and figuratively.
Vicky Marie
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I have to agree with a lot of reviewers in that this series is losing its charm. I don't think I laughed, even chuckled, once while reading. The art is also not my favorite. A bit messy looking in my opinion. I'm not giving up on it yet, though.
Samantha Ania
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I'm a Lumberjane for life.
laura (bookies & cookies)
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not the best of the series. Felt like more filler storyline. Great series overall, though!
Brendan
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm now 2 books behind but the library has run out of the series, I guess I'll need to find another series to fill the void. This book and the last have both been very different and you get a sense this now the new direction of the series. The plots don't have multiple focus and the artwork is bulkier compared to the previous first 4 books. I think the changes in creative people has taken this series down a little and the once overall mystery has been replaced with a quick storyline that misses ...more
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read in issues. This was a great story arc about teamwork and sticking together. I just love these girls and how freaking awesome they are. It also included the panel I've been waiting for! I wouldn't want to spoil anything, but it include a long-awaited kiss.

Again, I'm so disappointed that the trades are now a year behind the issues. It's the only reason I'm still subscribed to the series on comixology. I guess now I just get to reread them when I buy them for my bookshelf. So, I suppose that'

• Lumberjanes: Bonus Tracks
  • Lumberjanes: The Infernal Compass
  • Giant Days, Vol. 5 (Giant Days, #5)
  • Lumberjanes: A Midsummer Night’s Scheme #1
  • Lumberjanes: 2016 Special: Makin' the Ghost of It
  • Giant Days, Vol. 7 (Giant Days, #7)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 3 (Giant Days, #3)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 1 (Giant Days, #1)
  • Lumberjanes: The Shape of Friendship
  • Lumberjanes 2017 Special: Faire and Square #1
  • Lumberjanes: Somewhere That's Green #1
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 1
  • Giant Days Vol. 8 (Giant Days, #8)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 4 (Giant Days, #4)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 6 (Giant Days, #6)
  • Lumberjanes: Beyond Bay Leaf Special #1
  • Giant Days, Vol. 2 (Giant Days, #2)
  • Goldie Vance, Vol. 3
(from Twitter profile):Senior Editor at BOOM! Studios | Head of BOOM! Box | Co-Creator/Writer of Lumberjanes | your favorite boy band butch [she/her]

Lumberjanes (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Beware the Kitten Holy (Lumberjanes, Vol. 1)
  • Friendship to the Max (Lumberjanes, Vol. 2)
  • A Terrible Plan (Lumberjanes, Vol. 3)
  • Out of Time (Lumberjanes, Vol. 4)
  • Band Together (Lumberjanes, Vol. 5)
  • A Bird's-Eye View (Lumberjanes, Vol. 7)
  • Stone Cold (Lumberjanes, Vol. 8)
  • On a Roll (Lumberjanes, Vol. 9)
  • Parents' Day (Lumberjanes, Vol. 10)
  • Time After Crime (Lumberjanes, Vol. 11)