Start by marking “A Right Honorable Gentleman” as Want to Read:
A Right Honorable Gentleman

A Right Honorable Gentleman

Miss Catherine Hooks is one of the best governesses in all of England; her employer, the Right Honorable Edward Glennon, is one of the busiest men. The fact that they’ve fallen in love is immaterial. Honorable people in their situation do not mention such things. But Edward’s son is on the verge of leaving for school, and when Cat asks for the only thing she can demand und ...more
Published August 9th 2016 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about A Right Honorable Gentleman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Right Honorable Gentleman

Start your review of A Right Honorable Gentleman
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

So disclaimer, I got A RIGHT HONORABLE GENTLEMAN for free from the author because I subscribed to her newsletter (I think a "neener, neener, neener" is in order). I was looking forward to this book a lot, but then life got in the way, and I lost the email with my free copy (!) and several weeks after the fact, I'm only just now getting around to it because I am a bad person.

I don't think it's exactly a secret that I like Courtney Milan's
Maria Dimitrova
Short and sweet and the perfect way to pass the time while waiting in line at the pharmacy. What I really liked was the lack of artificial drama and the reasonableness of it all.
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
How do you do it, Courtney Milan?! How do you weave these magic words?! Did you sacrifice a virgin to the Gods of Writing? Sell your soul to the devil?

This book is 30 pages long and, yet, the story packs more of a punch than many books ten times that length. A hardy dose of repressed Victorian passion. A strong-willed governess heroine and a restrained, hassled Chancellor of the Exchequer. Employer and employee, honest friends and in love for years, and unable to admit it, or talk about it.

Ther
Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~)
I love Courtney Milan, yes, I do. I think it's astounding how well she can flesh out a story even in less than 50 pages. The novelette was sweet, but it compares nowhere near the rest of Milan's works which I have read and adored. It was pretty short, so no regrets.
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
Amazing what a good author can do in 30 pages. Romantic little story, told well.
Chi
That was a rather short, and sweet story. Bound by rules of propriety, it was sometimes hard to get a handle of why they were doing what they were doing, but it made sense in the end.
Luli
Aug 15, 2016 added it
Shelves: reviewed
¿Eh?
No tengo ni idea de qué es esto que acabo de leer… No creo que la señora Milan deba cobrar un pavo por este, este… ¿Este capítulo?
Siendo como soy una amante incondicional de las historias cortas tengo que decir que ésta ha sido demasiado corta como para llamarla así.
No puedo ni recomendarla ni escribir una reseña, así que no puntúo.
Mejor me olvido de que la he leído…

Uh?
I don´t know what exactly just read… I don´t think Ms. Milan should charge for this, this… This chapter? I neither know how
Shannon
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, indie
What a great short story that was! I very much enjoyed it.
Lo
courtney <3___<3 (ok at this point i think im physically unable to rate her books less than 5 stars i'm sorry, except i'm not, i probably should give it 4 stars bc i wish it had been novel-long but w/e!!!! i don't care!!!) ...more
Kristin Davison
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: regency
This was perfection!

Free when you sign up for the authors newsletter.
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
Short and sweet. The hero is a grumpy workaholic while the heroine is opinionated and headstrong. I wanted to see more development, but I can't complain for 30 pages.
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
A very short, short story. Cute enough. But too short to really be even interesting.
Lisa
2.5 - 3 stars

Too short to make an impact, eep
Tinnean
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a real pleasure. Not nearly long enough--I'd have loved to read more of Catherine and Edward--but a lovely story that reminded me of the stories included in Georgette Heyer's Pistols for Two. A fun way to spend an hour or so. ...more
Aoi
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: hf-england
Courtney Milan packs a punch in just 30 pages! I am totally in awe of how she managed to address so many issues in a Victorian employer - employee relationship and still put in dollops of heart melting romance..
Emily
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Leave it to Courtney Milan to address every issue I could have with an uneven employer-employee relationship...and make it a super sweet, heart-meltingly right romance. Brava!
Tracy Emro
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars

A totally charming little read!

Edward and Catherine are perfect for each other and I really liked that they were both older.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Frankly, calling this a novella is a bit of a stretch even. While the concept of a A Right Honorable Gentleman is fine and there's nothing hateful within its pages particularly, there just isn't sufficient story here. It feels like I read the middle chapters of a story rather than a whole one. You're thrown in to a chemistry already grown and apparently long-standing with dynamics that don't make much sense because you didn't see the evolution. As a result, the whole thing feels very telling rat ...more
Jessa
Pretty good for being such a short novella.
Renae
For a 30-page love story...not bad.

But a good love story really needs longer to develop, so it wasn't, like, The Best.
Blackjack
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Short and sweet story from Milan that she made available free to readers this month, with emphasis on "short." I'm always pleasantly surprised by how much Milan can do with shorter works, and sometimes I think she may even be a better novella and short story writer than a novelist. Here though the story is just a tad too brief for me to get emotionally invested enough to give it a higher grade. Nevertheless, I really like the conflict of how a widowed upper-class man can find a way to turn his g ...more
heidi
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying little short story about two people who can't be in love but obviously are, and what they do to deal with it. It's not one of her more carefully researched novels, but it does have all the right emotional beats and I felt like cheering at the end.
Elaine
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was very short but worth the read. It was charming.
Margo Collins
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great short story

I love the way Milan is able to create an entire back-story within such a short piece. Great characters & story!
Diane
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish it was longer!

Delightful! Like Tracy and Hepburn sparring their way through love. These are interesting characters and I'd love to have read more.
Kate
Fun but too short to really get going.
LaineyT
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a bit of an editorial, rather than a review, regarding the criticisms I've seen that this story is too short. Please note, I'm not a lit professor or an author. I'm just pulling from my memories of the first time I was exposed to short stories back in high school, decades ago. Having read this short from Courtney Milan initially generated similar feelings of "is that it?" that I experienced back then. But with further reflection I find I quite liked the brief glance into the final chapte ...more
Anne
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, 2019
This is a short story that I received for free after reading one of Milan's novellas. This is only the second thing I've read from Milan and I'm really impressed that she gave us two characters who felt fully fleshed out, with real chemistry in only a handful of pages.

Miss Catherine Hooks is preparing to leave her governess job now that the boy she's cared for is heading off to school. She's excited to move onto a new position, but heartbroken to leave the boy's son, Edward Glennon, who she's f
This is a lot shorter than the other novellas I've read by Ms. Milan. Unfortunately, I don't think this one was long enough to generate the kind of emotions that her work generally evokes. The groundwork is all there and Milan does a good job at hooking the reader right into the story. However, there are just too many questions left unanswered at the end of this. I enjoyed the writing style and dual povs but needed more to bring this up to snuff with novellas like The Governess Affair.
Lara
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
The author has once again written a delightfully touching story of love. The only thing that would have made it better would have been longer length. The way Catherine kept Edward on his toes, the way he esteemed her when no one else did ... and I would have liked to see how Peter took the news of his governess becoming his mum.

Either way, she's definitely got her hands full with both Glennon men.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Jun 24, 2016 10:53AM

• His Bride for the Taking
  • Night of the Scoundrel (The Devils of Dover, #3.5)
  • Mangos and Mistletoe
  • How to Catch a Wild Viscount
  • Once Upon a Winter's Eve (Spindle Cove, #1.5)
  • Forever and a Duke (Rogues to Riches, #3)
  • That Kind of Guy (Ravenswood, #3)
  • The Ultimate Pi Day Party (Baldwin Village, #1)
  • Someone to Remember (Westcott #7)
  • A Duke by Any Other Name (Rogues to Riches, #4)
  • A Taste of Honey (Lively St. Lemeston, #4)
  • The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics (Feminine Pursuits, #1)
  • A Christmas Gone Perfectly Wrong (Blackshear Family, #0.5)
  • One Fine Duke (School for Dukes, #3)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • Reverb (Twisted Wishes, #3)
  • Guarding Temptation
  • Damaged Goods (Ravenswood, #1.5)
Courtney Milan’s books have received starred reviews in Publishers Weekly and Booklist. She is a New York Times and a USA Today Bestseller and a RITA® winner.

Courtney lives in the Rocky Mountains with her husband, an exceptionally perfect dog, and an attack cat.

Before she started writing historical romance, Courtney got a graduate degree in theoretical physical chemistry from UC Berkeley. After th