Start by marking “The Burden of the Protector” as Want to Read:
The Burden of the Protector

The Burden of the Protector

4.5  ·  Rating details ·  6 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Dàr was born to a long line of loyal protectors. He completed his training at a young age and was posted in the Yurita Highlands, a region known for its rugged terrain and frequent earthquakes. His career was very promising, until he stumbled on a strange object in the center of a meadow.

The moment he saw the object, Dàr knew he should report his discovery to the scholars,
Published May 27th 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Burden of the Protector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burden of the Protector

Yoru
I'm not entirely sure what I could say about this novella, as my feelings on it have turned out very mixed. It was originally recommended to me via Twitter adverts for self-published authors, and the tiny promo blurb made it sound interesting. I bided my time in hopes that a print copy would be made available eventually, and when it was I snagged a copy. Finally get around to reading it, and I'm just left a weird jumble of thoughts.

This is the sort of thing I probably would have been required to
Christopher Jessulat
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
In short, when it hits - it hits.

"The Burden of the Protector" is told over a series of journal entries, detailing the personal trials of Dar and his attempts to navigate the systems and cultural norms of society. It explores both compelling and complicated relationships with a handful of other characters as well as Dar's actions and motivations, using the journal mechanism to reflect and question on each.

Generally speaking, I struggle with reading from the first person perspective - but the ch
Gaetan
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I'm a big fan of S.C. Eston and I'm glad to finally be able to read his first book on my Kindle. The story is great, setting up a wonderful world. The character of Dàr is nicely developed and his friendship with Vìr is compelling. I cannot wait to read more of Eston's stories!!
Rosario Martinez
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In a place where boundaries are not meant to be broken Dar pushes through obstacles only to find himself in a journey to survive. His friendships are tested but will he do the right thing or will he let his prohibited discoveries overcome his need to fight for what is true and right. In his premiere novella S.C. Eston takes us to a land where the ever vigilant high power Sy'll spreads subconscious fear and oppression. Dar is a knight, a protector of the land when he makes a discovery it will no ...more
Mathieu Chiasson
Hudson
Dec 05, 2016
Julie
Jul 26, 2017
Making Connections: 4533. - THE BURDEN OF THE PROTECTOR by S.C. Eston 1 9 Aug 31, 2016 04:47PM
Steve C. Eston grew up in the small village of Trudel, in the province of New Brunswick in Canada. He is a manager in technology services for the federal government and lives in Fredericton with his wife, Leigh.

For behind-the-scene info, excerpts and free short stories, you can visit him at:

Newsletter: http://www.sceston.ca/Newsletter