Start by marking “What My Best Friend Did” as Want to Read:
What My Best Friend Did

What My Best Friend Did

Alice's life has become a bit boring lately. Her friends are busy getting married and having babies, but she's not ready for those changes in her own life - not even sure she still loves her boyfriend.

Then she meets Gretchen. A brand new, fun and unencumbered friend. Gretchen knows how to have a good time and she also has a totally gorgeous brother. Before she knows it, A

Published August 4th 2016 by Corvus (first published February 19th 2009)

karen
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this book is fine. i feel bad giving it 2-stars instead of my default "well, i didn't hate reading it" three stars, especially since the author is here on goodreads.com (hi, sorry!), and i'm not here to ruin anyone's day. but there was a lot about it that just flat-out disappointed me.

first of all - the overuse of the word "random" is unforgivable.

-my coffee was accompanied by two teaspoons balanced on the saucer and a completely random blueberry muffin

-i'd have been lying on the sofa crying at
Tanya
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It would have earned 4 stars but for the ending!!! The ending was VERY disappointing. What happened to Tom, Gretchen and Alice? The story left too many loose ends.
Trish at Between My Lines
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another cracking read from Lucy Dawson. This one is less of a whodunnit and more of a whydunnit. The characters fizzle with realism, and I couldn’t look away from their blurred judgements and toxic relationships.

Basically you just can’t go wrong with a book from this author if you want a book to make you think about where you would draw a line in your ethical decisions. And a as a bonus you also get a full-on-throttle-speed pace and lots of character depth, all delivered in a lovely witty writin
Traci
Oct 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
***SPOILER ALERT***
I intend to discuss this book as if all readers have read it. If you have NOT read this book and think you will sometime down the road, I would stop here. SERIOUSLY.

This was a rough read, folks. The book has some issues, the characters have issues, the editing has issues... I'm reminded of a line I once heard by a comedian, something along the lines of "Let's get them a magazine rack - they've got a lot of issues." That would definitely apply to this book.

OK, the book/plot fir
Pol
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never read a book by Lucy Dawson before, was not disappointed it was a good book and kept me guessing how it would end
Chloe
Aug 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Photographer Alice is plodding along in her career and with live-in boyfriend Tom, but all that is about to change. When she goes on a photoshoot to LA, she meets TV presenter turned model Gretchen and is quickly swept up in the whirlwind that is Gretchen’s life.

The pair become close very quickly, but soon things start to change and Alice isn’t too happy. Gretchen’s secret is becoming more of a problem and she knows it isn’t going to stay secret for much longer.

How far will the pair go before th
Nicky Mottram
Audio version of this book 📚- Really enjoyed this book , but disappointed at the ending left you wanting to know what happens, great narration.
Diana
Great book, with unexpected ending. Definitely a recommended read.
Aimee Hyndman
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic, gripping and intense. I was hooked from start to finish. Reminiscent of "The Girl on the Train" in so many ways and I enjoyed it just as much.
Monnnn
May 31, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Karen
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice has a job, an apartment with her boyfriend, Tom, and a great job as a photographer. The story begins with Alice calling for an ambulance for her best friend, Gretchen, who has apparently attempted suicide by pills and booze. The story proceeds to tell how they got to be best friends. Gretchen is a self centered kids TV show host who is very recognizable in wealthy circles and has a very high opinion of herself. Alice is hired to photograph her and they become fast friends. It turns out tha ...more
Henriette
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This is a book about a complicated friendship and what one person's actions and behavior can make another person do. Alice is a simple, sweet girl with a good life as a freelance photographer and a steady boyfriend called Tom who is as sweet as they get. On a job Alice meets Gretchen a sort of celebrity, presenter... somewhat famous. Completely different from herself and yet they become friends, even quite good friends, but from then on out things in Alice's life start changing and not necessari ...more
Joy
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read quite a few books by this author now. As I said in an earlier review she seems to specialise in friends and family doing strange and confusing things to the protagonist. This is no exception, and as well as strange and confusing you can add downright cruel and selfish.

That's pretty much it. There is a larger than life character called Gretchen who manipulates people. And wrecks relationships along the way. Shouldn't really be so entertaining as that is basically the story ... its a t
Iris
Dec 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I SOOOO wanted to like this book !! It had so much potential !! but after the first few chapters where we are introduce to this dilemma and circumstances and my mind was going OMG what happened?? what can have possibly happened ?? ! I finished it more out of curiosity than anything, I wanted to see how good or bad the end was going to be. It was bad ! I really liked where the story was going, or where I thought it was going , the first pages got my attention but as the chapters went on, I felt a ...more
Nicola McLean
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another cracking read by Lucy Dawson (sort of spoiler alert)

I really enjoy this author's books. She has a fantastic way of leading you immediately into the story with very believable and realistic characters and an ability to describe the everyday situations of life in a way that you feel like you are absolutely right there.
This was a brilliant read and the only reason I didn't give it five stars is because I don't like loose ends in novels or movies, I prefer to know what happens next and unfo
Hazel Richardson
An interesting concept and fairly well written. For the most part, I enjoyed reading it, however it's greatly taken away from by the flawed psychology (*possuble spoilers* use of the term of manic depression which changed 30 years before this book was published and the contradiction with her manipulation which is very unlikely with this condition) and by the very disappointing ending. It felt like the author forgot to publish the last chapters!
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This one was weird. The writing was great, the people were enjoyable to read about. But the extremes that were taken to reach the endpoint were just ridiculous.

It was a breath of fresh air to read about how nice and down to earth semi-famous Gretchen was. This was spoiled by the unravelling of her character over the chapters that followed.

It ended up almost undoing the good of mental illness awareness. In the final pages, you have no idea what went next, and how bad it got. So, to me, it really
Lynne Dickson
Aug 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Disappointed

Firstly I wouldn't call it a fast paced thriller. It's the story of somebody with a mental illness that to be honest, the author should have researched a little more on. Yes it's fiction, but being somebody that actually does have this mental illness, the character is poorly portrayed. Was excited about this book having read a book by author before but it's more like the diary of a silly love sick girl in an adult world.
Leah
Apr 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2010
When Alice goes off to LA for a photo-shoot the last thing she expects is to come home with a new best friend. Her life has gotten fairly mundane of late and so when Alice meets Gretchen it’s like a breath of fresh air has opened her eyes to fantastic new possibilities. Gretchen is like no one Alice has ever met before; she’s beautiful and impulsive and Alice’s life is suddenly sparkling again. But Gretchen isn’t all she seems and there are ticking time bombs hidden below the surface just waitin ...more
Sue
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't say this was my favourite Lucy Dawson book. In parts it read more like a chick lit than a psychological thriller and I found myself skimming through some pages. Normally with Lucy Dawson books, I read every letter, every punctuation mark, I am literally taken over by the story. This one however, just didn't, for me, have that edge.
Isabella
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english
I didn't really like this book. It gives a real one-sided view on woman. It wasn't completely bad, I liked the attention the book gave to manic depression, because it's not that known. I also really loved the way the book was build with flashbacks and tension. You don't know what happened until the very end.
Divamumsteph
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just finished reading a really good book by Lucy Dawson. It was a real page turner. ‘What my best friend did’ but can’t help feeling like it ended with no conclusion. I felt a bit cheated. 😞 I have to say I’ve never had this with one of her books before.
If it was precedence to a sequel I could kind of understand but I don’t think one could be written on the back of that story.
That being said it was still a good book that kept me interested.
78thStitch
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!

While I wouldn't personally describe this as a psychological thriller, it is certainly gripping. I would dearly love to know what happened to Alice, Gretchen, Tom and Bailey.
Belinda Cotton
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Addictive read with faults

I feel this book hasn't agreed well with its constant references to manic depression, which is not a term used anymore, and its laboured tropish treatment of mental illness. The ending is unsatisfactory, despite being a rather addictive read.
Alicia Gard
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So good! I just finished this and it was a fun fast read. This is the first book I’ve read by this author and I will definitely be looking for others. I don’t want to say too much about the plot because I don’t do spoilers - I will say I found the ending satisfying!
Rachel
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but not the best Dawson book, I much preferred "White Lies". This novel was about 60% drama, 30% thriller and 10% chic lit, which is fine, but I was expecting a fast paced thriller. Good plot, good ending, good characters, so I still recommend.
Kitty
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun page turner by Lucy Dawson. Her words plant distinct images in my mind, making this book a roller coaster movie that keept me on the edge of my seat. One unnerving scene toward the end was like many an ending that I had SO predicted, and then it was NOT. Loved it!!!
Leah Wells
Light read, nothing too deep, keeps you guessing

Didn't really like most of the characters, didn't find any of them sympathetic in the end, but I must confess I didn't see the ending
Gina Corbett
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing surprising excellent

This book draws you in and has rich characters behaving in surprising ways...to be honest camt be bothered to review..but excellent
Jane Hodgkinson
I am cross at this book. It seemed to be flowing well. I was enjoying the storyline then the end came, and went. I am cross. What was the point?
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Secrets Sisters Keep
  • In My Sister's Shoes
  • Amelia O'Donohue Is So Not a Virgin
  • The Dead Girl
  • Late Night Shopping (Annie Valentine, #2)
  • Taking Off
  • Semi-Sweet: A Novel of Love and Cupcakes
  • The Happy Home for Broken Hearts
  • The Kid Table
  • Rules (Maggie Adair #2)
  • Confetti Confidential (Isabel Bookbinder #3)
  • The Perfect Lie
  • Leaving Unknown
Lucy studied Psychology at Warwick University before becoming a children’s magazine editor. Her first bestselling book – His Other Lover – was published in 2008. Since then she has published four other novels and her work has been translated into numerous other languages. She lives in Exeter with her husband and children. Lucy finds writing in the third person uncomfortable.