Start by marking “Far from Home (Belladonna Ink, #1)” as Want to Read:
Far from Home (Belladonna Ink, #1)

Far from Home

(Belladonna Ink #1)

My name is Rachel. I’m straight . . . I think. I also have a mountain of student loans and a smart mouth. I wasn’t serious when I told Pari Sadashiv I’d marry her. It was only party banter! Except Pari needs a green card, and she’s willing to give me a breather from drowning in debt.

My off-the-cuff idea might not be so terrible. We get along as friends. She’s really romant
Published August 1st 2016 by Riptide Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Far from Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Far from Home

Bethany
Ummmm… damn. I'm not really sure if I'm capable of reacting to this one just yet...

I know this is older and most of you have probably read this already, but just in case you haven't, you need to check it out now. This is a powerful book. Yes, it's a F/F romance, and yes it's a fauxmance (my personal favorite troupe), but it's so much more than that.

Typically books in 1st POV tend to bother me. I usually feel connected to only one of the MCs, and feel too distant from the other. This book illustr
Vaneesha
Aug 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Exact rating: 3.84 stars
(I know, I'm being super extra with my decimal point rating system, let me live).

Maybe in a few hours I will analyze Far from Home; its content and approach, and be appalled. However, as someone who has only just finished reading, I am thrilled to say that I really enjoyed this book.

This is a story about Rachel, a "recovering" anorexic, who on a whim volunteers to a marriage of convenience to secure a visa for Pari - an Indian, lesbian, workaholic. If the premise has
Lexxi Kitty
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and Riptide Publishing for an honest review.

To start off - I have one specific semi-major problem with the position I find myself in at this exact moment. And that's the part wherein it appears that all, after a quick check, of the other books published by this author, including those put out under another name, are all MF romances. I do not know what to do with myself now. heh-mmph.

Right, so. This is the first book I've read by this author under thi
Luce
Edit: Feb 2018 Re-read review
I didn't think it was possible, but I loved this book even more on the second read. Rachel's struggle with anorexia came more to the forefront to me this time around. A favorite passage: For once, Rachel feeling good about herself.
"I’m not gross. I’m not hiding the unpleasant parts of me. I’m more than the sum of a couple parts that I don’t like. I forget the running tally of everything I’ve eaten for the past five days. I’m beautiful."

Original Review Sept 2016
I love
Pin
There are a lot of good things about this relatively short novel (~55,000 words). The plot is solid and interesting with very well blended ethnic and cultural diversity (one protagonist, Pari, is from India) and the whole spectrum of problems with eating disorder (other protagonist Rachel, from whose point of view the story is told, is a treated anorexic). Pari and Rachel are very likable, real-to-life characters, and I really found myself caring about them. There are also some very nicely done ...more
Carrie
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love yourself.

You can't accept love if you don't love yourself.

Rachel is a young woman who is a recovering anorexic. She works to ensure she gets all the right nutrients post rehab and therapy.

Pari is an Indian woman who wants to go into consulting which she can't because there would be no company to sponsor her work visa.

The two women consider marrying as it could be mutually beneficial.

This story had a lot more depth than I had anticipated. I've never really considered what it would be like
Corrie
(January 5) - I absolutely loved this gem of a book. I want to marry Pari :-)

----------------
(March 31) - I know it has barely been three months since I first read "Far from Home" but I took it off the virtual shelf again. This time to share it with my reading buddy D. in Germany. We are a two-women book club where I read to her on Skype in the evening for a few hours. I love to read out loud and she loves to listen and in between we discus the book. It gives me a chance to experience my favorit
Farah
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ff-amore
My first read by Ms.Brown, I bought this book a few weeks ago and choose to read it today since it's Deepavali. This was a great interracial romance, it started as a proposal to a marriage of convenience then slowly it developed into something sweet, savory, crazy not that rich Asians dramas and the ultimate swoonworthy romance.

I truly enjoyed the Asian theme as it was relatable especially the wedding prep.

Pari and Rachel, your tale was beautifully written by Ms.Brown. It wasn't the smoothest r
Kara
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Far From Home” is an enjoyable slow-burn romance between lesbian MC Pari, and straight-girl MC Rachel. But…let me start off with a warning for those who don’t like lies as part of lesfic. The entire book is based on a big lie…not to each other, but to the United States Department of Homeland Security. Everyone has their viewpoints on immigration, both legal and illegal/undocumented, and this book takes the view that it’s ok to tell a lie to get around immigration law. As part of their plan, the ...more
lov2laf
I really enjoyed this. We have two unique leads with one being a British accented Indian lesbian and the other being a recovering anorexic Demi-sexual.

The story is well written with a flowing narrative and likable characters. The pacing and chemistry between Pari and Rachel is not a slow burn but it's not insta-love, either. It's a believable unfolding of a unique relationship. And, Rachel's battle with anorexia was handled very well as the story is told from her POV and we get a sensitive insi
Cheri
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, lgbtq
I'm really torn on the rating of this one. I think it's better than just three stars and it's the characters and the inclusion of and handling of anorexia bumped it to a pretty solid 3.5 for me. I debated on whether I should round up or down - since Goodreads seems determined to never allow for .5 stars - and while there were a few things that really pulled me out of the story on numerous occasions, the strength of my emotional connection with the characters pushed me to round up.

I thought that
Luce
5.5 Stars for this third re-read but this time for the Audiobook narrated by Jill Smith. **If you are thinking of re-reading this book - give this audiobook a try. I think you might enjoy it more - I sure did! If you haven't read either version - give it a try.

Jill Smith's narration adds to the already 5 star story. She does a credible job with the Indian accents. At one point Pari, her mother and aunt were talking and I could tell them apart. The voices were subtly different but distinctive, es
Margaret
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: l-words
Detailed score: 4.0

Lovely. Little bit of angst. You can predict the ending. But just really great.

Here endith my most articulate review ever ;)
Jacob Proffitt
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, steamy, lgbt
This is short, but could have stood to be shorter. The romance in this was really light, and felt artificially drawn out before them getting together for real. And that grated on me a bit. The rest of the story was good, however, so I was never uninterested or unengaged.

I think it actually works better as a life-experience novel dealing with Rachel's eating disorder. That part was foremost in much of the emotional story arc, and I mean that in a good way (i.e. it never felt like an issue novel a
Det. Nidhi
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As an Indian it gives me a lot of happiness to read about lesbians from India. I don't know...it just makes me fantasise taht one day same sex relationships will not be such a scandal here.
I've read a lot of lesbian fiction, but this one was way more intense than most of the books that I have read. The narrator is a recovering anorexic. She has a ton of issues to sort through and I was able to understand how she felt throughout. Coming to my favourite character Pari. That woman was amazing. She
Tara
Far From Home by Lorelie Brown is a marriage of convenience story that blew me away. Told through the eyes of someone living with anorexia nervosa, it balances a beautiful romance with a bold storytelling choice, making it one of the best books I’ve read all year.

I love this book so much I have big fighty feelings about it. It may be my new bookwork friendship litmus test.

Full review here: http://www.thelesbianreview.com/far-h...
Kurt
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In this story, we helplessly watch a woman, Rachel, fall in love but also succumb to her addiction illness. Her partner, Pari, seems aware of the issue but does not know what to do until the end. I'd like to know that Pari and Rachel are still ok. I feel involved in their lives. That and Pari's grandmother was super.
Penny
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Went to see what the hype was all about.
THE HYPE IS REAL (:
Joc
Of the 450 or so lesbian romance novels I've read so far, this is the first I've read with a main character with an eating disorder. Kind of weird considering that our self-worth, body image and sexual identity is so intertwined and one would think it would be a much more common theme. Maybe it's too real or too hard to make sexy. Brown has succeeded admirably in creating a beautiful and sexy romance without losing sight of reality.

Highly recommended.
Dee
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dee by: Kurt
This story is told in first person, present tense and completely from Rachel’s point-of-view. Given she is such a complex character that worked for the most part. However, even through her eyes, I never got to know Pari. The blurb states, Pari’s kindness and calmness rubbed off on Rachel. To me Pari came across as only being concerned about herself, and money solved everything.

Body image plays such a huge part in everyone’s daily lives, having an eating disorder compounds the daily battle for a
Vic
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesfic
An enjoyable, mostly uplifting, fairly easy read with some difficult subjects.

Certain spoilers ahead in this review, mainly about the characters ....

This book touched on subjects I really have no experience with, and I'm grateful for it opening my eyes a little. Certainly the book doesn't get into too much detail, or linger too graphically, about the struggle of anorexia, but I did feel more enlightened for having read this. Now, don't get me wrong, the book is not all doom and gloom, or even cl
Just a man's point of view
Two young women decide to marry for profit, then gradually they know each other and the arrangement becomes a true love story. This is the romance trope substrate of the book.

But the author dares to up the ante extremely, making Rachel, the main character, anorexic. As this is made the key theme, the story becomes much more significant, but it also requires a very delicate treatment.
It is a difficult attempt to blend a very serious problem like anorexia with a romance with all the typical clich
Kat ☠
Didn't like Rachel. Didn't like Pari. Didn't like Rachel and Pari. And I especially didn't like this book at 28% when I read this:
The scents of cardamom and masala wrap around us. I think they might be coming from Niharika.
So spices you find in a curry. Because, obviously, anyone who comes from South East Asia automatically smells of curry. And they'll definitely smell of curry even if they've just stepped off of a long-haul flight, amirite?

Lazy stereotyping can go and die in a fire.
Wart Hill
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Things I Find While Shelving

I received a free ARC via NetGalley

This is such a beautiful love story.

Pari wants to be self employed, but that's tricky with a work visa. to help her, Rachel offers to marry her. It starts as a convenient arrangement - it frees Pavi from having to remain employed where she is and takes some financial pressure off Rachel's shoulders so she can focus on her student loans.

But it quickly moves beyond that.

Rachel and Pari fall for each other. They try to keep their relati
CLo
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read

This was a pretty good read with a bit of romance mixed with a heavy dose of an eating disorder. It's not heavy in the sense of being bogged down and depressing but it really is center stage. Both characters, Rachel and Pari, are well written and since the story is told through Rachel's eye, we get to see a great deal into her struggles. My favorite scene was the haunted house and wished there were more moments like that. Anyway, I enjoyed it and look forward to the next one.
Kexx
I really enjoyed this one - yes, slim, yes a little corny and yes not up there in terms of literature - and skimmed over what I thought were important bits and bobs - but it's valentine's day & I'm feeling mellow so have 5*s!
Heinerway
I found this a very interesting romance. Very, very interesting: Interracial, intercultural, health issues, family issues...
Ami
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars rounded up

When Joyfully Jay blog announced that the last week on the reading month challenge would be Genre Week (pick a book in a genre/trope that you don’t usually read), I knew exactly what I wanted.

I have never read F/F romance before but I've wanted to -- to open my eyes and get out of my comfort reading zone. So I decided to throw caution to the wind and bought this one -- simply because I have loved the blurb ever since I first saw it on Riptide newsletter, but never took a st
Loek Krancher
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More than excellent!

Against every impulse to keep this arrangement "business", Rachel soon finds herself wishing for more. She is recovering from an illness and Rachel thinks she is unattractive for Pari. She wish that the attraction is mutual. But is it not mutual? Both maintain their physical distance but for how long? The preparation of the marriage requires more work than Rachel could ever think of. Also the cultural difference becomes apparent in many ways and is full of unexpected challeng
Book Worm
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, great-shorts, f-f
Well, I'm quite dumbfounded at how to express what I felt when reading this novella. From the beginning I was drawn in and it didn't let me go, even now I feel like I'm still reliving it, like one of my own memories. Maybe it's because of Rachel being anorexic - it all feels so familiar: the obsession with food and the rituals surrounding it, the need for control, the self-hatred, the long hours at the gym ... I feel like I can be on the inside, where I have been on the outside before. What surp ...more
Unapologetic Roma...: Brown, Lorelie // Far from Home 13 29 Nov 10, 2016 03:33PM
  • Danced Close (Portland Heat, #6)
  • Fire on the Ice (Snow & Ice Games, #4)
  • Coming Home for Christmas: A Christmas in Paradise\O Christmas Tree\No Crib for a Bed
  • Courting the Countess (Axedale, #1)
  • Live (Burnside, #1)
  • Who'd Have Thought
  • Daily Grind (Takeover, #4)
  • Exception to the Rule
  • The Goodmans
  • L.A. Metro (L.A. Metro, #1)
  • Shaken to the Core
  • Wake Up Married serial, Episodes 1 - 6 (Wake Up Married #1-6)
  • Roller Girl (Lake Lovelace, #3)
  • A Rational Arrangement (Arranging Paradise, #1)
  • Wild Things
  • Edge of Glory
  • Beyond Repair
  • Viscount's Wager (Gambling on Love, #3)
After a semi-nomadic childhood throughout California, Lorelie Brown spent high school in Orange County before joining the US Army. After traveling the world from South Korea to Italy, she’s settled north of Chicago. Because going from California warmth to northern snow seemed like the proper order of events...

Lorelie has three active sons and a tiny shih-tzu who thinks he’s son number three—not fo

Belladonna Ink (3 books)
  • Take Me Home (Belladonna Ink, #2)
  • Her Hometown Girl (Belladonna Ink, #3)
“She loves me even now, at my worst. She’s going to adore me when I shine.” 0 likes