Start by marking “Murder Once Seen (The Oddities, #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder Once Seen (The Oddities, #1)

Murder Once Seen

(The Oddities #1)

In the city of Nis, things often aren’t what they seem.

Derwin is a bounty hunter gifted with the Oddity of superhuman strength and agility—perfect for hunting down fugitives and demons who roam the streets. One killed his boyfriend two years ago, and Derwin won’t stop until he finds out who. Police suspect it was someone he sent to prison, but he can’t shake the idea that
Published December 12th 2016 by Riptide Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Murder Once Seen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Once Seen

Karen
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you just gotta' take a chance...

That's what I did with this one. 'Murder Once Seen' is a new to me author writing in what is a new to her genre...paranormal/gay/mystery/suspense, I have to admit for me it felt more like a M/m Urban Fantasy with a definite dystopian flavor and a dash of mystery/suspense thrown in, but however you want to categorize it I liked it a lot...a whole lot!

Elliot's a rent boy in the city of Nis, he's been on the streets since the age of 14 when his parents t
Line
I am wavering between 2 and 3 stars on this one, but am gonna leave it at 3 for now, since it was quite inventive and could have been a masterpiece if not for the following reasons:

1. Elliot's 'job' as a whore had me scratching my head and giving me whiplash at times.
Elliot wants to get out, but not really. He wants to leave the job, but first he wants to save up for a motorcycle........
description
I get that he was conditioned and manipulated into the 'job' (that Theresa-woman is a WHOLE other discussion!
Lila Hunter
Rating: 4.75 stars

My View: I'm not an urban fantasy/dystopian fan, but this story won me over; it was really hard to put down. I wanted to slow down to enjoy the story, but at the same time, I wanted to read faster to know what would happen next. The author did an excellent job making sure all the plot arcs were interesting and well-fleshed.

The world built worked with the story and all foreign concepts and fantasy terms were easy to understand throughout the book. It is a nice setup to start the
Tatiana
Derwin is a bounty hunter and an incubus who feeds upon pain. Two years ago his boyfriend was killed and since then, Derwin's been desperately searching for a murderer with little to no success.

Elliot is a 19-year-old rent boy, who has the ability to see people's past by touching their personal items.

After spending a night together, Derwin convinces Elliot to help him find his boyfriend's murderer.

Murder Once Seen had a great premise, but the execution is somewhat lacking.

I have to admit that I
Parvathy
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing

5 Stars!

I loved everything about this book. The story, the characters, the element of suspense, in fact everything. I loved how the paranormal element was well woven with the story. I loved Derwin and Elliot and everything about them. Derwin who is torn between his past and growing attraction to Elliot. Elliot is struggling to survive. They way they meet and how their relation grows from there has been portrayed really well. I loved the element of suspense also in this book and I loved how Der
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
Why doesn't this book have more ratings?
I loved it.

Yes it's dystopia, but it's well done, and not complicated.

The world was well built, and has a lot of potential for future stories.
Personally I hope the next book has the same MC's.

There is so much going on...but it's all kept relevant, and interesting.
The book never lulled for me. I couldn't put it down.
I loved the mystery. Elliot using his oddity to help Derwin find the killer or his late boyfriend.
The reasons for hiding their oddities, makes
Marte - Thunderella
*** 3,5 stars ***

J.T Hall is a new author to me. The blurb for Murder Once Seen caught my interest, promising a mix of urban fantasy, dystopia, paranormal, mystery, and suspense, with a dash of (light) BDSM. The author managed to wield this melting pot of genres quite nicely, and I felt the book delivered on its promise. It did feel a bit uneven, but overall I enjoyed it.

Derwin, the bounty hunter, hooks up with Elliot, the rent boy, to get his pain fix for his Oddity (see blurb). Derwin discover
Diverse
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Murder Once Seen is a mystery with a paranormal element. Derwin is a Bounty Hunter with special abilities. In this story, in this time, he’s called an Oddity. Anyone who has a special ability other than just being a human is an oddity. When Derwin meets Elliot, a rentboy and also an oddity, so much happens.

My heart was all sorts of sore for Derwin. You know right off the bat he’s grieving the loss of his boyfriend Grady who was murdered. We spend the entirety of the book tracking down who kille
Beebs
3.5 rounded up!

Intriguing new world with great possibilities for future stories. I liked both of the main characters but felt sorry for Elliott who was left to feel that he would always come second to Derwin's first love for much of the book.

The solution to the mystery didn't come as much of a surprise and the ending is definitely more HFN than HEA given the foreshadowing for future problems. Overall, I enjoyed it and plan on reading more in the series.

*Received from NetGalley in exchange for an
Annie
4.5 stars- Something a bit different

This spring I read my first book by Miss Hall and I knew then it wouldn’t be the last. When I saw the blurb for the second book in the Oddities series, my interest was piqued. Months later, I finally got around to reading the first book in the series- Murder Once Seen- and it was definitely worth the wait.

I found the characters in Murder Once Seen incredibly interesting with a good amount of depth and room to grow as individuals. I liked that while Elliot is
Ije the Devourer of Books

Derwin is a bounty hunter. He spends his time hunting fugitives wanted by the police and hunting for demons. Derwin lives in the city of Nis and demons exist in this world, but the real challenge for Dermot is not the demons or the fugitives, but the loss of his boyfriend Grady.

Grady was killed two years ago in an attack at their home and Derwin has not come to terms with finding his boyfriend on the floor of the apartment. The police investigation has yielded nothing and Derwin still is just l
ttg
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting paranormal romance. I liked the world-building of having modern times, but with demons wandering around and "oddities"/people with special abilities.

My one down point is a personal pet-peeve. (view spoiler)

A nice HFN ending, and book 2 is alread
Bárbara
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
*ARC provided by Riptide Publishing via NetGalley*

This was definitely better than I expected.
The murder mystery part didn't seem *too* predictable, and I really enjoyed the dystopian/paranormal elements! I wasn't so sure at first how well they would fit in with the other aspects of the story (the mystery and the romance) but it was rather nicely balanced.

The story seemed a bit too ambitious at times, and I feel like I could have appreciated it much, much better if it had been longer (also the
DeeNeez
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have a new series to fall in love with! Sizzling chemistry, murder mystery, lots of action, and creative world building. Here is a world where those with hidden mutant talents are called Oddities. And here is a world that contains not just criminals for our bounty hunter Derwin to hunt, but demons as well.
Diane Dannenfeldt
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG I loved this book - when does the next one come out??? I need it now. I love the world that this story is set in. I love the "oddities". My heart broke for Derwin as he is still grieving the loss of his boyfriend Grady who was murdered in their home. Elliot and his issues especially his dealings with a gang boss who sees him as his property and a madam who seems to care for his "boys" & "girls", but not sure if she really cares that much for Elliot’s but for what he can do to keep her &a ...more
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-male-male
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Wow, I really enjoyed this book. Don't let the dystopia tag turn you away. Yes, it's the setting of the story but it doesn't play a major role in the storyline.

Basically, there are people in the world with certain abilities, and they are called Oddity. Having an Oddity is not a good thing. Most often the government comes in and forces you to work for them. Many people with an Oddity tries to hide it.

Derwin has an Oddity that h
Wax
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this in pretty much one sitting, so I definitely liked it. There were just a few issues that had me decreasing it a star. One was that I felt that the world-building was lacking. We find out about Oddities, but not much more. I don't know if that is coming up in future books, but it would've been nice to have some more info about it. Second was a scene in the middle of the book, which I was not expecting. Yes, I expect that a rent boy would have several clients, but (view spoiler) ...more
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, bgirls, ebook, paranormal

Review by The Blogger Girls.

I love being pulled into a new world with interesting characters and adventures. This one grabbed me from the start. Here, there are people with “Oddities” or super human abilities, but most people try to hide them for fear of the government recruiting them to use their “skills” in somewhat evil ways, such as interrogation and torture, or experiment on them. Derwin and Elliot are two guys who have managed to keep theirs hidden.

Derwin has not gotten over the loss of hi
Didi
3.5 stars rounded UP

Warnings: the story contains dub-con/non-con, drug abuse, emotional abuse, explicit violence, and sexual assault

There is potential in this series. For something that I - rather casually - trivialized as an easy and steamy read, the story actually packed more than that. Set in dystopian United Federation of America (formerly USA) era at the city of Nis, Murder Once Seen told the story of two Oddities - people with special abilities - trying to solve a two year old murder case
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars - I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

The dark, dystopian feel to this series is eerie but I waited in vain for the world building that was needed to fully explain Derwin and Elliot’s lives. Without detailed or original explanations, this ended up feeling like a piecemeal compilation of ideas from several well known books and films.

A murder mystery runs through this story. Derwin, a bounty hunter, is trying to find his boyfriend’s murderer. He is an odd
Melissa
3.5ish stars.
I was provided a complimentary copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed this story, but the beginning of the book was a lot better than the middle and end. I WILL be reading the next book in the series because overall, the book was good (if predictable).

I think this series will shape up into a nice paranormal collection. JT Hall built a very interesting world, one that is nothing like ours. There are demons of all varieties and shapes, there a
Ashley
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Derwin has been gifted with an Oddity, Elliot is a rentboy on the streets, when the two meet for the first time, lust over powers them both. Derwin and Elliot both need to learn to trust each other and themselves if they are going to stay alive long enough to fall in love.

This was a good dystopian book, that had a pretty normal world except for those with an Oddity, the author did a great job of building up the world and the characters, I'll be interested to keep readying this series.
Andrea
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this but had to look at the blurb to remember what the book was about after only a week. It just didn't stick with me. So...enjoyable but not memorable.
Josh Reichert-Seigh
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exceptional work takes you to world that you want to return again and again.
Ashley E
I was hesitant to start this book, even though it sounded awesome, because of the BDSM tag. If that's putting off anyone else, throw aside that hesitation and read this book! While kink is definitely an aspect, it's handled in a very unique way and takes a backseat to the serious plot that this book handles. Plus, the romance between Derwin and Elliot is sweet as well as steamy. Add in a unique dystopian present littered with demons and Oddities, and I'm just a little bit in love.
ItsAboutTheBook
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: whit
Review can be read at It's About The Book

This is my first book by this author. I was intrigued by the blurb and the great cover. I LOVE super powers or as described in this book as an “oddity”. That name has a negative tone which is fitting in this world considering they’re looked down upon. People with an oddity are also collected by the government to be used for their benefit. I thought this aspect of the story was very interesting but it’s never really explored beyond an explanation as to
Joyfully Jay
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sue
A Joyfully Jay review.

Murder Once Seen was a somewhat uneven, but ultimately enjoyable novel. An unusual mix of dystopia and demonology, the world building in this novel is what drew me in first and foremost. The shadows of former cities in America still exist, but they are separated by untamed wilderness inhabited by demons that also prowl the waterfronts. Additionally, people are born with Oddities, genetic mutations that allow for super strength, telepathy, and so on. But many hide
Raj
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This book seems to be a piece of a much larger puzzle but the problem with puzzles is one has to be eager & intrigued to wait it out to view the final picture.I found the descriptions of the powers that the characters exhibited to be well detailed and that was about the extent of my fascination with the story.

About a 3rd through a 352 paged murder mystery/science fiction/urban fantasy themed book I simply lost interest in who had murdered whom and basically skipped through a couple of chapte
Angela
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I usually don't read dystopian type books, but this one sounded intriguing. I was surprised that I actually liked it more than I thought I would. The focus stayed on the two main characters, their determination to solve a two year old murder, their professions, and their growing relationship. It had a good plot, complex characters, angst, intense situations, violence, aspects of BDSM, and intriguing twists that kept the pages turning.

I enjoyed the building relationship between Darwin and Elliot

• Rogue Magic
  • Manties in a Twist (The Subs Club, #3)
  • To the Very Last Inch (The Professor's Rule, #5)
  • Risk Aware
  • Reckless Behavior (Bad Behavior, #3)
  • Where There's Fire (Panopolis, #2)
  • Santuario (Santuario, #1)
  • Home Fires (Common Law, #4)
  • The Circus of the Damned
  • Undertow (Infected #7)
  • With This Bling (Romano and Albright, #3)
  • Fearless (Irresistible Attraction, #3)
  • Trick Roller (Seven of Spades, #2)
J.T. Hall is a Riptide author of the Oddities series (Murder Once Seen, Fraud Twice Felt, etc.) and has been a writer for over twenty years. Her LGBT titles include gay and lesbian romance, paranormal suspense, and femdom. Outside of writing fiction, J.T. works as a technical writer in healthcare and has volunteered with the Grand Canyon Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence for LGBT causes and fundrais ...more

The Oddities (2 books)
  • Fraud Twice Felt (The Oddities, #2)