Start by marking “The Whispers of Wilderwood Hall” as Want to Read:
The Whispers of Wilderwood Hall

The Whispers of Wilderwood Hall

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  61 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Ellis is losing track of time…

After leaving her friends to move to a crumbling Scottish mansion, Ellis is overcome by anxiety and loneliness. Then she hears whispers in the walls…and finds herself whisked back in time to 1912.

At first, she feels like she's finally home. But the past may not be as perfect as it seems – and is there more to hope for in the present than she
Published June 2nd 2016 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about The Whispers of Wilderwood Hall, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Luna
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

There is something very reassuring about sitting down with a Karen McCombie book. You know you’re in safe hands, and of course The Whispers of Wilderwood Hall was no exception.

Reading The Whispers of Wilderwood Hall was very much a case of me snuggled up on the sofa turning the pages until the very end of the book. It’s an engaging story and I could picture everything perfectly. While I probably wouldn’t want to visit Wilderwood Hall during the refurbishments you can sign me up for a we
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Lovely timeslip book - the ending gave me shivers!
Anna
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to begin with the floor plan on the first pages, I absolutely loved it and spent ages looking at the layout, imagining Wilderwood Hall in all it's glory!

A beautiful, magical tale that drifts from the present day to 1912. Ellis finds herself pulled into the past as her anxieties in the present threaten to overwhelm her. Her mental health issues are written in a raw and honest way, that makes the reader feel the overwhelming fear and disconnection that she experiences. But also the love
Razan Yaqoub
this book is a really good one-just as all the books written by Karen McCombie-its thrilling and wonderful...recommended.
Alanah
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was just flawless, the action, the adventure, the drama it was all there right in front of me. It was so fabulous that I would not put it down, and my parents would have to nag me to put it down! So if you are a person who like this kind of stuff my recommendation would be to have a go at reading this book.
I bet you're gonna ❤this book!
Amy Worrall
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
An atmospheric tale of a girl who moves to a spooky old manor house in Scotland after her mother remarries. While struggling with loneliness and dealing with her anxiety issues, she finds herself slipping one hundred years into the past, where nobody can see her apart from a young servant girl.

I really enjoyed the mystery and the vividly depicted characters and locations. My one criticism is that the resolutions seemed a bit abrupt. Well worth a read.
Nicole
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Took me a while to get into this.
Ellis is going through anxiety attacks nothing prepares her for slipping through time to 1912 when she moves to a ln old Scottish mansion named Wilderwood Hall. Finding a new friend in a housemaid named Flora, will Ellis decide to stay in time with her new friend, or face the issues causing her panics? A sweet story for 9+
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk-author, for-review
Very cute and lots of fun.

Full review to come.
Holli
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Great for intended age audience.
Creep factor for children: Sudden startling moments of fear, otherwise pretty tame .
Eve beinguniquebooks
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When Ellis's mum marries a lead singer from a band, RJ, she gets whisked away from her cozy London life and friend Shaniya to live up in Scotland in a huge mansion called Wilderwood.

Only when they get there, soon enough strange visions appear to Ellis alone which exacerbates her anxiety attacks she gets. However, she soon learns of the house's past owners and all their staff from 1912 and even befriends a girl working for the family as they see each other despite the differing years between them
Iona
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Ghoainsy
Mar 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
I don't really understand what was this book about.
Kirsty Stanley
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring time travel book that gets you on the edge of your seat. Makes you want to read more!
Kate Jensen
Apr 27, 2017
Jane Shaw
Feb 19, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Karen McCombie is a bestselling author of children and young adult novels, and has had more than 80 books published. Originally from Scotland, she lives in London with her husband Tom, their 15-year-old daughter Milly and a beautiful but bitey cat called Dizzy. She is the author of the much-loved series 'Ally's World', and her most recent books include 'St Grizzle's School For Girls, Goats and Ran ...more