Start by marking “Subversive (Insurrection #1)” as Want to Read:
Subversive (Insurrection #1)

Subversive

(Insurrection #1)

In a not so distant future, an unprepared humanity barely managed to repel the Locusts when they invaded Earth. But the long war left its mark on mankind and the Establishment was founded to ensure it would never come so close to destruction from an alien force again. Now, decades later, the world is run by this single governing entity. Loyalty is rewarded. Disloyalty is m ...more
Published April 2nd 2016 by Fine Fables Press

To ask other readers questions about Subversive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Subversive

Sandra "Jeanz"
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
INITIAL THOUGHTS
I'm looking forward to reading this short story/novella, it sound a little different to what I have been reading lately. I'm not entirely sure what to expect from this short story....post apocalyptic, dystopian or sci-fi. . .I guess I'll finf out when I read it!

THOUGHTS WHILST READING
What has Gemson done to be on the receiving end of an interrogation instead of being the interrogator.

REVIEW
So the cover is fairly simplistic, after reading the short story/novella I'd say the cover
Whispering Stories
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Subversive is an extremely short novella at only 25 pages long. The book opens with an interrogation scene, with an interrogator, Gem, being interrogated, so he knows the drill and what to expect. What he doesn’t expect though, is for his sister Ellie to be doing the interrogating.

Ellie wants to know where something or someone called ‘The Albatross’ is, and how it escaped. Unfortunately for her, she doesn’t manage to get any answers before there is a huge explosion that has consequences for the
Eden Royce
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a stunning read. Futuristic, dystopian sci-fi that hit hard right from the beginning and kept on coming. Gemson is great as the protagonist is this story--trained, deadly, clever, and tough--and he has a heart. Deen captured my interest immediately and held on to it. My only issue with this story is the length; it is far, far too short. Just as I was settling in for the long haul, the tale was over.
Looking forward to the next installment.
Vikki Patis
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm not usually a fan of short stories (says the short story author!), but Subversive really hooked me in. The characters are fresh and realistic, the plot fast and exciting. Writing a short story can be tricky, but Deen gets the pace right and manages to create a wonderful, immersive story. A thoroughly enjoyable read. I'm looking forward to whatever else Deen comes up with.
Aderyn Wood
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anela Deen can write! This novella packs a lot of punch thanks to Deen's style – clean, to the point and powerful. Readers are dropped into a rich futuristic setting and the middle of a conflict. There's not an info-dump in sight, but Deen's ability to weave context into dialogue and close character POV means we never feel confused. I love the deep character POV style too. I felt an immediate connection with Gemson. I normally enjoy reading longer works with more attention to subplots, setting a ...more
Natasha Murray
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
An Explosive Beginning

Subversive, although just a novella and the first of a five part serial was both entertaining and exciting. The main character, Gemson is charismatic and you are hopeful that he has left his shady past behind him. Gemson and his sister Ellie, are involved in a twisted rebellious mission.

The author A. Deen, writes in a lively engaging manner. You can easily read this episode in one sitting and are left wanting to know more.

A powerful start to what I think will be a thrilling
Carrie Westmoreland Kurtz
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I went into this book blind. I had agreed to read it a while back (I am so behind on my reading and reviews!) and, being that I read so many review requests, I couldn't remember what this one was about at all. I decided to jump right in and read it without reading about it first and I loved it that way!

I'm not sure what I was expecting from this book but I do know that it wasn't what I was expecting. I really enjoyed it though! Subversive is actually more of a short story, 24 pages, but they wer
J.K. Ullrich
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Subversive grabbed me from the first line. Gemson, a former intelligence agent, finds himself on the wrong side of the interrogation table. His inquisitor? None other than his own sister, Ellie. The twists keeps coming as Gemson and Ellie find themselves caught between the Establishment, humanity’s government since a devastating alien invasion, and the insurrection challenging it. Who is the Albatross, the rebellion’s enigmatic leader? Where do Gemson and Ellie’s loyalties truly lie?

Subversive r
Aria Maher
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free in return for entering a giveaway on Anela Deen's blog https://amidtheimaginary.wordpress.com/

This book is pretty short, and I found myself racing through the pages, and the action, at a good clip. Anela Deen does such a good job of showing, not telling, and giving you backstory without hitting you over the head with it, which are two things I always admire in a writer. Awesome job, and I can't wait to read the next one!
Michelle McPherson
Natomi Karkael
Dec 14, 2016
Erik Mericle
Jun 03, 2017
A child of two cultures, this hapa haole Hawaiian girl is currently landlocked in the Midwest. After exploring the world for a chunk of years, she hunkered down in Minnesota and now fills her days with family, fiction, and the occasional snowstorm. With a house full of lovable toddlers, a three-legged cat, and one handsome Dutchman, she prowls the keyboard late at night while the minions sleep. Co ...more

Insurrection (5 books)
  • Operative (Insurrection #2)
  • Inquisitor (Insurrection #3)
  • Assassin (Insurrection #4)
  • Martyr (Insurrection #5)