Start by marking “Beyond Carousel” as Want to Read:
Beyond Carousel

Beyond Carousel

(Carousel #2)

All of us wanted to survive whatever was happening. Maybe even escape it somehow. But more than that – we wanted to know what it was.

Nox, Taylor and Lizzy have just escaped a nightmare. After months of being trapped inside a shopping centre they are finally free. Free to roam the streets of Perth and free to solve the mystery of what happened outside the doors of Carousel.
Paperback, 1st, 360 pages
Published October 1st 2016 by Fremantle Press

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Carousel, please sign up.
Brendan Ritchie Hi Jaz. I'm a huge fan of Tegan and Sara! But I also have twin sisters myself, so the whole inspiration thing is a little murky. The idea for Carousel…moreHi Jaz. I'm a huge fan of Tegan and Sara! But I also have twin sisters myself, so the whole inspiration thing is a little murky. The idea for Carousel actually came to me while at a Death Cab for Cutie gig in Perth. Super weird I know! Thanks for your interest and support. (less)

Start your review of Beyond Carousel
✨    jamieson   ✨
I reviewed the first book in this series, Carousel, back in August and I've been meaning to pick up the sequel ever since but other books got in the way (something we can all relate to, I think). But anyway, I finally read book two and I enjoyed it so much ! Even more then I did book one.

This is a super unique series for me, because it's set in the same state that I live in (Western Australia represent!) The first book follows three people, Nox, Lizzy and Taylor who get trapped inside the Carou
K.
Trigger warnings: Animal death. I think that's all????

So I was REALLY interested to get stuck into this book, because while I really enjoyed Carousel, it left me with approximately a million questions that I needed answered ASAP. And...this didn't really answer them. I mean, it DID? But it left me with a whole lot MORE questions.

Where Carousel focuses on the gang trying to get out of the shopping centre, this focuses on what happens next. It features Nox wibbling his way around Perth trying to
Katg
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Remember when you were a kid and you read a book & loved it's much you had to get a friend to read it too so you could talk about it for ages together? That's how I feel, wired, excited & buzzing to talk about how much I loved this book. Best sequel ever! I couldn't put this book down. No spoilers but just wanted to say this book did not disappoint, still resolved enough for me to be satisfied & left enough unresolved to keep me thinking about it ALOT. I have recommended Carousel to everyone as ...more
Lyndall Rae
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
While I enjoyed this read and am glad to see how Carousel has come to an end - I am still left with so many questions unanswered ?! More than anything I really just want to know if Chess is okay 😂
Kerran Olson
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-challenge
I really liked how this book expanded upon the narrative which started in Carousel, and explored a broader landscape. I think Nox developed a lot more as a character in this book, especially after he was split up from Taylor and Lizzy. I thought the whole Residency idea was really creative, and a great premise to expand the story and answer a lot of the questions raised in book one. I also liked some of the new elements introduced, and connected a lot with the story as it was set across so much ...more
Elise
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Was slightly disappointed after reading Beyond Carousel as I had absolutely loved Carousel. I felt the plot was much more predictable and jumped around in places as some scenes/situations were described so well and others were lacking. A good book for an easy read.
Aimee
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
While this book was a lot better than the first one and the writing style has definitely improved it still wasn't a fantastic read. The mystery surrounding all the disappearance of everyone except for artists intrigued me and I was glad it was finally explained and wasn't something generic like zombies I hated the way it ended suddenly and like it wasn't really finished which I should have been expecting since Carousel ended the same way. I still couldn't put it down though but I think that way ...more
Judy Nickless
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very different to what I was expecting but I loved it !!
Jacqueline Beal
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put in down. I really wanted to know how it finishes.
Alannah
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I did quite enjoy this.. though it possibly left me with more questions than answers than the first book!!
Anika Lammers
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the book however I think compared to the last book it was a lot less realistic.
Lucy
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Post apocalyptic stories give me anxiety because I would be useless and probably die in that situation, and this book being set in my city just made it so much worse
Emily
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Em
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australian, fiction
I bought this book the day it was released so I could find out what happens after Carousel, and it didn't let me down! Yay!

Carousel is set in the immediate aftermath of the catastrophic Disappearance, and Beyond Carousel is set later, when the struggle for survival is more intense and visible.

The book had the expected post-apocalyptic difficulties for the survivors, e.g. food and shelter, dealing with others, and finding their place in the new world. It also introduced some concepts I've not co
Kibbenza
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
The sequel to Carousel. I actually gave this one a less favorable review because of the circumstances surrounding the... disappearance? I don't know what to call it without being heavy on spoilers, so, let's just say the circumstances that lead to them being locked inside Carousel. When it became clear what was going on, I was pretty disappointed, because as original as it was, I just couldn't suspend my disbelief enough for this to make any sense at all. (view spoiler) ...more
Jessica G
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's been almost 2 months since I started reading this, and I finally, FINALLY finished it!
And yet...even though it was almost 2 months, it didn't take away from my reading experience. I absolutely LOVED this book.
If you read my review from last year on the first book, Carousel, you can see that I struggled with the general concept of the book - I thought it was a stand-a-lone at that point! But this book gave me the closure I needed and totally made sense of what happened in the first book.
Eas
Tahlia
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Was really disappointed by how this story turned out.
Was expecting something more mysterious and exciting! This was really boring and it took me lots of effort to get through this.
Carousel was full of excitement and mystery and how?
Beyond Carousel tries to explain this but ultimately fails, and most readers (I WAS) will be let down by the reason they were locked in Carousel - it never really gets explained properly.
Nicola
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great follow up to the first book.
Ngaire
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's not often that a sequal wows me as much as the first book, but that is what happened here. If anything it was better then the first book! Action packed, great world building, beautiful written, engaging characters, this book has everything. For myself reading this book felt so familiar, as I'm a Perth local and a former ECU student, this book felt like it could actually happen.
Elizabeth Fitzgerald
This book is an entry in the Aurealis Awards for 2016, for which I am a judge. Any review will be withheld until the results of the awards are announced.
Darian
Lisa
Jan 03, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• After the Lights Go Out
  • Hades (Archer & Bennett, #1)
  • The Bunker Diary
  • Saving Francesca
  • A Semi-Definitive List of Worst Nightmares
  • Beautiful (Beautiful Bastard, #5)
  • Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1)
  • Raelia (The Medoran Chronicles, #2)
  • The Van Apfel Girls Are Gone
  • The Novice (Summoner, #1)
  • To Hold the Bridge
  • Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer (Theodore Boone, #1)
  • Dog Boy
  • The Last Garden
  • The One Who Got Away
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
  • The Accused (Theodore Boone, #3)
  • The Scandal (Theodore Boone, #6)
Brendan Ritchie is a writer and filmmaker from Fremantle, WA.

In 2015 he published his debut novel Carousel and was awarded a PhD in Creative Writing. Carousel has been critically acclaimed and was longlisted for the 2016 Gold Inky Awards. The sequel, Beyond Carousel, is now available.

In addition to writing, Brendan spends his time lecturing across a range of creative disciplines.

Carousel (2 books)