Start by marking “Love Unmasked” as Want to Read:
Love Unmasked

Love Unmasked

Aaron Loreto can’t lay claim to being anything as sexy as a werewolf or bearman. Once in a blue moon, he turns into a raccoon. With the predatory members of the shifter community looking down at him like he does actually spend his days rummaging through the trash, he prefers to keep his condition private.

When he meets Philip MacRory, Aaron falls head over heels. Philip is
Published June 1st 2016 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Love Unmasked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Unmasked

Start your review of Love Unmasked
Len Evans Jr
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG this is just the sweetest, most adorable yet sexy short story I think I have ever read. It is way more than worth the 99 cents it cost. It made me laugh, cry and have to adjust my pants all in just 31 pages! Aaron and Philip are awesome... and their shifter-sides are pretty cool too. I won't spoil the surprise about Philip's, but having Aaron be a raccoon shifter was priceless! Anyway, the only complaint I have is I want more stories about unusual animal shifters!!!
* A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Stars

I’m finding the short stories in this collection quite endearing and very original!

Aaron is an unlucky in love raccoon shifter. It doesn’t help that his kind is very rare and not necessarily an easy animal to contain. He’s feeling a lot down about his lack of love prospects, but his hopes are lifted when he connects with handsome stranger Phillip. Sparks fly and things progress quickly, and Aaron frets over keeping his dual nature a secret. Silly guy. Just wait until he discovers Phill
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
8 times!

8!

That's all I'll say.

Well, that & #ShiftersDoItBetter

photo 56f339bee9bd701d36616033470278c4_zpsqtqo8hcz.jpg
Ann
4.5 Stars

There have been some serious treasures in this round of DSP's daily dose series and some new-to-me authors that I can not wait to read more of. While Love Unmasked is seriously adorable, it also had a unique slant to the shifter trope that took it to a more memorable level. The MC's are so very likable and reading their banter when they flirted sucked me right into their relationship so I could wallow in all the swoony goodness.

I did not want Love Unmasked to be over and I can't wait t
Chappy
What a sweet sexy story...if only it could have been longer.

Very well written but I wanted more. In this world, shifters of all kinds are common. After a shift, however, the human doesn't retain any memory of being an animal.

Aaron and Philip were just made for each other. I hope to read more from this author.
Serena Yates
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay, shifters, read-2016
In the world of ‘Love Unmasked’, shifters are known to humans, and some shifters are better and more well-accepted than others. Predatory shifters like wolves, bears, lions, and other big hunter animals get all the attention and respect, and everyone else has to fend for themselves. It made me laugh because it just sounds so believable. Among humans, some are better than others too, so I could well imagine that, once shifters reveal themselves, the discrimination and inequality will just extend ...more
FantasyLiving
Read as part of the Boy Meets Boy Review Shifter Sunday Funday for Dreamspinner 2016 Daily Dose: A Walk on the Wild Side Anthology

4.5 Hearts

This was the cutest story EVAH!!! OMG so adorable.

Aaron is a raccoon shifter in a world full of predatory shifters, so he keeps it to himself. He meets Philip in a coffee house while working on some edits, and they hit it off immediately. Only he can’t seem to come up with a good way to tell Philip he turns into a raccoon. After a night of passion, Aaron l
Christy
I have a total soft spot for the underdog and I've seen more than my share of those (and loved them all) in this year's Dreamspinner Press Daily Dose package 'A Walk on the Wild Side'. These stories focus on shifters of all different kinds with a variety of world building and I haven't enjoyed myself like this in a long time.

In the New York City of this world, werewolves, bear shifters, and other large predator shifters are all the rage and get special treatment including designs to build them
Claudia
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sweet
such a sweet short story - love it
Annie ~ Queer Books Unbound
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, i-own, 2016-reads
This was adorable. And made me realise again why I don't like short stories. Novellas are fine, novel length is better but short stories are so short! Which yeah I realise is the whole point of a SHORT story, but I WANT MORE of these two! lol

You should read this anyway, if you like short stories or not because cuuuuute.
Mike
Full review

This was a charming, enchanting little tale that was the perfect escapist, “aww” story for me at the end of a craptastic, painful day. The parallels between discrimination and fear of discovery of one’s “dangerous” secrets between fictional shifters and the true life experience of LGBT folks is clear in quite a bit of paranormal fiction, and this story succinctly outlines the metaphor and incorporates both literally and figuratively it into the plot. Kudos to the author for
Morgan  Skye
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this! It was so cute. As you can tell by the blurb, both Aaron and Philip are hiding something – and discovering that secret is hysterical!

There’s no angst, just two guys falling for each other, then getting along famously once they realize the jig is up.

It had a bit of humor, some smexy times, and my favorite part was the world building. In this case, as shifted animals, they don’t retain their human cognition. This creates loads of problems, and solving them is pretty funny.

Highly reco
Elliot Cooper
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adorable! Loved everything about this and was left with a big smile and my heart warmed. Only issue was that I wanted it to be longer, but the length is just right. I didn't want to leave yet!

Highly recommended for shifter fans who like a fresh-yet-comfortable take on shifters, and anyone who needs a sweet and sexy read :)
A.M. Leibowitz
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A funny, smart, sexy story with a bit of piquant social commentary? Yes, please! This is possibly the best short shifter story I've ever read.

The writing is excellent and highly polished. Both POV main character Aaron and love interest Philip are wonderful. There are so many clever moments. On the surface, it reads like pure fluff, and it can absolutely be enjoyed that way. I liked that I was also able to peel back the layers, and it gave me some things to think about.

For something short enough
Melissa
Aww, this was an adorably cute short story. Aaron is a shifter, but not something "cool" like a wolf or panther. Nope, he turns into a raccoon. His previous boyfriend's didn't stick around because they aren't "pet sitters." What a bunch of douches. Aaron pretty much gave up hope of finding love, but then he meets Philip, (view spoiler) and he senses Philip is different.

They are too cute with t
Sadonna
This is a really cute story about two guys who meet and are each hiding a secret ;-) Part of the shifter Daily Dose series from last summer, I really enjoyed this story of Aaron and Philip. Aaron hasn't had much luck in the love department. Then he meets Philip at the local coffee shop and he is a bit smitten. Philip seems to feel the same way. When they discover they have something in common, well thing get a bit more interesting.

Diane
I received an ARC from the author.

I loved this short story! The guys are perfect for each other and in all romantic tales, that end in a HEA, there is lots of soul searching and worrying. The ending is perfect and I wish I lived in a world where 'little non aggressive' shifters lived right next door!

Thank you so much, Dale Cameron Lowry, for gifting me with this little gem. I'll be sure to read other books you've written.
Courtney Bassett
Aw, this was adorable. I wish it had been a little bit longer, because I was intrigued by the world and the characters. I don't want to spoil an important plot line, but the two main characters were awesomely perfect for each other, and the story made me giggle several times. I'll definitely read more from this author.
Katherine
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is exactly the cute fluffy pickup I needed! A sweet story where two hopeless guys find each other and work out their oddities with each other, and even match. They make for a cute couple with a hot sex life and a bit of shifting fun. Fluffy fun!
Antonella
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5
Probably this was perfect for me because I've read it exactly when I needed something light and funny. The shifter angle is also quite unique, also because I don't think I've ever read of a raccoon shifter, let alone a (view spoiler).
Crownoyami
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
OMG this was so cute. My only complaint was that this wasn't longer, I would love to see more of this world with shifters in society and the ones who transform into smaller animals instead of the larger wolves and predators. This was absolutely adorable.
Rissa
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: dsp, 2019-read
I really like reading shifter stories with different animals! The unusual ones like the two in this story! <3

(Not really unusual, I guess. I mean the ones usually not used, lol. You know what I mean!)
Gerisgrltrl2
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cute, short story about a shape-shifting raccoon and his search for love and acceptance
Elaine White
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pov-3rd-person
This is one seriously adorable story. Who ever thought that Racoons could have a love story?

Not only was the writing spot on - I've been a fan of Lowry's writing for a while now and was not disappointed - but there was some novel-worthy detail here. Just because it's a short story, some authors skim the important details of the how, the why, the background, but Lowry does an amazing job of giving us the same level of detail, characterisation and plot in just 28 pages that some authors can't give
Tam
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, other-shifters
Oh come on, a raccoon and a (view spoiler)? How could you not love this story.

Aaron's had issues with past boyfriends not accepting that he turns into a raccoon. He tends to go a bit nuts and trash apartments. He meets cute guy Philip who seems amenable to shifters but... Aaron holds off revealing the truth until after their first night together and oooops, Philip has a secret too.

It was really very cute and nothing to dramatic, just two guys both wary about revealing the
Curtis
Aaron Loreto is a shifter, but he's not one that's well-known or often appreciated. In a world where shifters are known to humans, raccoon shifters aren't exactly considered highbrow. And Aaron's other self has proven to be too much for past boyfriends.

When Aaron meets Philip MacRory, he's drawn to the man immediately. There's something about Philip that makes Aaron think he can let his guard down. But past experience still makes him wary of divulging his secret.

But as they spend more time toget
Katy Beth Mckee
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a fun romantic comedy. I always think is nice to have a look at different kinds of shifters. I love Aaron's shyness. It was so much fun to see the attraction and fun between Aaron and Phillip.
Saba
Jul 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I love atypical shifters. This was cute.
Lindsay
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet read

Loved this story, I'm a sucker for shifter stories anyway but this was adorable in how they accepted each other was sweet and they are great together.
Scott  McQuiston
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every so often you find a book that is far too short for its own good. This was so incredibly sweet! I would love to see this expanded. I think the MCs are just adorable.

• Changing the Things You Can
  • Quiet as a Mouse
  • Mission Mistletoe (2015 Advent Calendar - Sleigh Ride)
  • Son of Santa (2015 Advent Calendar - Sleigh Ride)
  • Ranger Station Haven
  • Bloodline (Whyborne & Griffin, #5)
  • Nice and Snow (With A Kick #6)
  • Hoarfrost (Whyborne & Griffin, #6)
  • Hainted
  • The 13th Hex (Hexworld, #0.5)
  • Man's Best Friend
  • Popcorn Garlands
  • A Dove's Wing
  • Werewolf PTA
  • The Night Porter (Night Porter, #1)
  • Almost Paradise (Pine Hollow Wolves, #1)
  • The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal
  • Green the Whole Year 'Round
Dale Cameron Lowry lives in the Upper Midwest with a partner and three cats, one of whom enjoys eating dish towels, quilts, and wool socks. It’s up to you to guess whether the fabric eater is one of the cats or the partner. When not busy mending items destroyed by the aforementioned fabric eater, Dale enjoys writing gay romantic, erotic, and speculative fiction; wasting time on Tumblr; listening t ...more