Start by marking “Junk Mage” as Want to Read:
Junk Mage

Junk Mage

When technomancer Quillian Defote crash-lands on remote planet Marutuk, he has limited time to repair his ship and get off world. If he fails, he’ll forfeit his position as professor of mechanical transmutation at the prestigious Ivy Arcanarium and ruin his employment prospects in yet another sector.

Hunter, a cyborg guarding a junkyard that holds what Quill needs, is charm
Published July 4th 2016 by NineStar Press (first published July 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Junk Mage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Junk Mage

Nancy
Cross-posted at Shelf Inflicted and at Outlaw Reviews

I will start out by saying that I love short stories. Whereas a novel can take its time fleshing out characters and developing a compelling plot, a short story leaves the writer with little wiggle room for going off on tangents. A good short story should feel complete, and not like an outline of a novel.

The author did a superb job setting up the world and creating an interesting cast of characters. I liked that it was told from the quirky tec
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
This was such a TEASE for me! I can tell that Elliot Cooper has a ton of skill, but I needed more to go from "like" to "love."

I really enjoyed the set up for this story and the basic world-building. The whole "technomancer" concept was SUPER interesting for me, and I couldn't wait to hear more about it.

Honestly, this read like a prequel story. I was really fascinated by the cyborgs and mage magic aspects of the plot, but I didn't get to find out a whole lot about it. In fact, I kept wondering i
Ann
Soooooo . . . . . . FUN!

I am officially in love with Quill, Hunter and Elliot Cooper. I had a great time reading The Junk Mage from the very beginning and my only niggle is that it wasn’t longer. I wasn’t ready to let these characters go and I wouldn’t be mad if the author decided to conjure up a sequel. I know Quill has some more snark in him that I need to read.

I read The Junk Mage in one sitting and got caught up in the story so quickly I didn’t even look at my locations in the book until it
Karen
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounded up to 5 because still no 1/2 stars here on GR and that cover deserves the 1/2 star.

Ok so the first thing I want to do is get rid of the elephant in the room which is what I didn't like about this book...IT WAS TOO SHORT!!! Seriously people I need way more of this one. I loved it. It was different and the author did a fabulous job with the world building for a story that was all of 50 pages I was there on Marutuk seriously running through the forest with Quill to get away from t
Rachel
5 Stars

I love this story; it has become one of my favorite comfort re-reads. Of course, I never wrote a review (I have the hardest time writing reviews for my favorites!), but I highly recommend it!

"Junk Mage" by Elliot Cooper features a charming technomancer & a stoic cinnamon roll of a cyborg (who loves books). This story is so much fun! There is lots of magic and the most adorable cannibalistic critters! I would love to see more of these characters. Delightful!!
Skye Kilaen
Fun science fiction + fantasy M/M short story about a pansexual technomancer, Quillian, who crash lands on a planet full of criminals while late for his new job. The parts he needs to fix his ship are in a junkyard guarded by cyborg Hunter, who really doesn't want to hurt Quillian, but will if he has to. Very regretfully. Because he's starting to think the technomage is kinda cute. Unfortunately, Hunter's evil witch boss isn't similarly charmed.

Cooper does a great job with worldbuilding in a ver
Wart Hill
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
that was super fun!
Ami
Jul 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Ami by: Didi

Decent sci-fi adventure with technomancer, cyborg, and little furry bone-sucking creatures. I liked Quill's upbeat personality and he pretty much carried this short story.

I thought it really had potential... Unfortunately, it was also a little on the "too short" side. For me, it ended up a little unclear world-built and a little undeveloped friendship between Quill and Hunter. It will be nice if it's longer so both the futuristic world and characters can fully transformed on pages.

As
Karen Wellsbury
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great premise, for such a shortie the depth of character in Quill is impressive as is the world building. I wanted to know all about Hunter, and more about Quill and I really wanted to know what happens next.
It ended with me wanting more, which is I suppose a good thing. Anyway full review at Prism
Mel
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: genre-sff
This is a new author to be watched. After having read Elliot Cooper’s short story The Clockwork Menagerie, I was excited to be able to start his upcoming book right away – and I was not disappointed!

Like The Clockwork Menagerie, Junk Mage is also rather short, but in only a few pages Elliot Cooper creates not only distinct and interesting characters, but also a complex world and setting.

I liked both adorable and funny, kinda clumsy Quill, as well as Hunter with his mysterious and gruff demeanour
Samantha
May 26, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: gb-shelf, mm-to-read
Elliot, can I please just climb in your head for a day while you create all these awesome worlds? Kthnxbye.
Daniel Mitton
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it
(Originally reviewed for Love Bytes Reviews with a copy provided by the publisher / author for an honest review.)

I’ll be honest, the cover is what sold me on this story. It caught my eye, and I signed up immediately to read/review the story. Unfortunately, this is the second short book that I’ve read this week that I thought needed a little more. I really liked the story in this one, but there just wasn’t enough to it, in my opinion.

In Junk Mage, we meet a character named Quill who has crashed h
Len Evans Jr
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Even though this story is not that long the author did an amazing job of not only creating two fully fleshed out MCs but a complete world for them to live in. The SciFi/Fantasy aspects of the story are well polished and I loved the way the author worked a nice dollop of romance in as well. All in all a thoroughly fun and enjoyable read!
Joyfully Jay
Jul 08, 2016 added it
Shelves: sue
A Joyfully Jay review.

Normally I’m not a fan of short stories because I find them decidedly too…short. I prefer a long story arc for my fiction but the plot of Junk Mage caught my attention and I decided to give it a try. Alas, while it had its moments of entertainment, it’s pacing was somewhat uneven and I didn’t have enough information or time with the characters to really appreciate them. Aside from the pacing issues, which are patchy, the writing was fairly strong and the author m
Gillian Kevern
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Junk Mage is the latest novelette by Elliot Cooper. I’ve been anticipating it ever since my last interview with Elliot. I thoroughly enjoyed The Clockwork Menagerie–Elliot’s deft characterisation and his ability to tell a strong, compelling story in a short space of words really impressed me, so I was eager to see his take on sci-fi. I was not disappointed!

We are introduced to Quill immediately. He is an irreverent technomancer in a lot of trouble. Crash-landed on a hostile planet without the su
Rain Merton
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sff, m-m
This is a wonderful little book!

I loved its light, humour-filled tone from the very beginning, and found myself rooting for the protagonist with his self-deprecation and humility. Underneath the seeming breeziness, there are complex issues interwoven in the narrative, like the limits and possibilities of humanity and the power of ideology to control and direct life.

The only grumble I have with this book is that I wanted more at every step: more development of the scenes, more of the interactio
QuietlyKat
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to QuietlyKat by: http://www.elliotcooperwrites.com/jun...
Cute. Engaging. Interesting. Short, sweet cyberpunk story with very likable characters. I really enjoyed my first Elliot Cooper read and look forward to reading more.

3.5 stars rounded up.
Tam
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This felt like a slice of a story that I was missing some of the pieces. Quillian is on his way to his new job as a professor (he's a mage) when his ship crashes on a planet known for criminals. He manages to find a junk yard guarded by a part cyborg named Hunter who works as the "guard dog" for one of the meanest witches in the west. Just when Quill has about convinced him to give him some parts, the witch is onto them and the battle is one, cyborg style. Eventually they manage to escape and pr ...more
Janeylou
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: punk-cyber-steam
Jacque
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Junk Mage was a very much unexpected read for me. I'm not quite sure how to articulate what I think about that. I knew coming into to the book at only a page count of 58 pages, everything was going to happen hard and fast. I just didn't expect to feel fulfilled and yet unfulfilled at the same time. Let's see if I can make better sense of this all.

Quill crash-lands on a remote planet. He makes contact with his employer who basically tell him, get back in X amount of days or you are out a job. Pe
Victoria Zagar
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
When Quill crash lands on Marutuk, he has only a few days to repair his ship and escape, or he risks losing his job. Hunter is a cyborg who guards the junk yard that has the parts he needs, and stubbornly refuses to allow Quill to steal from his mistress. Stuck at an impasse, Quill must find a solution... or find himself frozen out of work in yet another sector.

This was a light-hearted read and I loved it. It was fun from the first page through to the last. Quill is a lovable rogue with the abil
Alison
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: queer, sff, my-e-things, lgbtq
Enjoyable. Spaceships and magic! I liked this, but I wanted more from it. It was fun, but maybe a little underdeveloped and maybe too short to tell the whole story properly. I loved the blurb and the cover is cool and I love sci-fi/fantasy blends, so I was looking forward to this, but it fell a little short of my expectations. There's great ideas here and lots of potential and nice writing, but something was missing. Quill's a great character and very likeable, but I didn't feel like I really go ...more
Josephine
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, mm, mm-romance
Lillian Francis
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure when I first started reading. The start seemed a little jumbled. But once Quill met Hunter everything slipped into place. Think space steampunk.
The story moved at a fast pace and is a quick read. About an hour from start to finish.
Would happily read more from this author and of this couple. To that end this is low/no steam; the MCs share one on page kiss.
Ceillie Simkiss
Junk Mage is a novella that I’ve been wanting to read for a while. When Cooper got the rights back from NSP and self-published it, I knew the time was right! I read this sweet story in one sitting and was delighted the whole time. If you want sweet ownvoices m/m science fiction, I highly recommend it!
Didi
A short fun and action-pack story of a hyperactive mage and a cyborg. The world-building's a bit blurry but the story pretty much leaned on Quill's personality and I for one liked his optimism and take-charge attitude. A rounded up stars to this bit of space adventure. :)
Misty

** 3.75 Stars **

Great world building and very imaginative but again too short. Right now, I'm terribly frustrated!

What a beautiful cover!

Aveline Reynard
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 stars

My lasting impression of this story was simply, "that was fine." Not great or amazing, but a pleasantly short and enjoyable read. The characters were endearing, the prose and pacing were sharp, and I appreciated the glimpses of intriguing world-building that we were offered.

The characters were the highlight for me: Quill's arc was definitely not new (impulsive, immature guy who tries to manipulate his way out of situations and gets in trouble when he can't keep things in his pants lea
Kaa
I've had the same reaction to both of the Elliot Cooper stories I've read so far - I really want to like them more than I actually do. The author has interesting settings, entertaining plot ideas, and cute characters, but they don't quite come together for me. I wanted more development of all aspects of this story, but especially the romantic relationship. I was starting to get a sense of each of the characters as individuals, but I didn't feel the level of chemistry between them that I think th ...more
❤Sharonica❤
Delighted!!!💜

Confession time:
The only reason I started reading this story is because it was part of a reading challenge. I have never read this author nor this genre (cyber-punk) before. I was very leery but, figured I had nothing to lose but a small window of time.

To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement, as I believe I have found a new author to add to my list of faves.

The story was out of this world in quality writing, world building, character development, and plot. Even
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Gay Science Fiction: Blog Tour for Junk Mage 5 22 Jul 05, 2016 08:48AM
Gay Science Fiction: Junk Mage Pre-order Discount 1 16 Jun 08, 2016 05:16PM

• High Five Dive
  • Making Contact
  • Grown Men (HardCell, #1)
  • Laser Visions
  • Freedom
  • When You Were Pixels (Syntax #0.1)
  • In Heaven and Earth
  • Storms and Stars
  • Signal to Noise (Psionic Frequency, #1)
  • The Slave Catcher
  • Once Upon a Time in the Weird West
  • Galen and the Forest Lord
  • Broken Phoenix
  • El Presidio Rides North
  • Aklesh
  • Kidnapped (The Infinitum Government, #1)
  • An Unauthorized Field Guide to the Hunt
  • Clockwork Tangerine
Elliot Cooper is all about happy endings and positive queer rep in genre fiction - specifically subgenres of romance and erotica. His stories range from sweet to scorching hot, light to dark, humorous to serious, and everything in between. He loves to experiment with genre mash-ups and old favorite tropes, turning some on their heads, meeting others head-on.