Start by marking “My Brother's Husband, Volume 2” as Want to Read:
My Brother's Husband, Volume 2

My Brother's Husband, Volume 2

(Otouto no Otto #3-4)

The concluding volume in the story of Yaichi, his daughter Kana, and how their meeting Mike Flanagan—Yaichi's brother-in-law—changes their lives and their perceptions of acceptance of homosexuality in their contemporary Japanese culture.

Published September 18th 2018 (first published January 12th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about My Brother's Husband, Volume 2, please sign up.
Rowan Hampton Sept 18, 2018 according to both Amazon and the publisher's website.

Joce (squibblesreads)
SO GOOD IM CRYING. Gonna buy this for my collection and I rarely buy graphic novels because they’re just so damn expensive but omg it’s amazing.
David Schaafsma
The second of two volumes essentially about a family in grief. Yaichi loses his identical brother, Ryoji, and he also becomes divorced, in a relatively short period. The death and grieving are complicated by the fact that he and his brother were estranged, for reasons that begin to be clear in the first volume: Yaichi has never fully understood or accepted anything about his brother being gay. Yaichi also has a little daughter, Kana. One day his brother’s husband, Mike, a big bearish Canadian, s ...more
Krista Regester
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wish 👏 there 👏 was 👏 another 👏 one.
Richard Derus
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, returned
Rating: 4* of five

The Publisher Says: The concluding volume in the story of Yaichi, his daughter Kana, and how their meeting Mike Flanagan--Yaichi's brother-in-law--changes their lives and perceptions of acceptance of homosexuality in their contemporary Japanese culture.

As Mike continues his journey of discovery concerning Ryoji's past, Yaichi gradually comes to understand that being gay is just another way of being human. And that, in many ways, remains a radical concept in Japan even today. In
Raeleen Lemay
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I WANT MORE but I’m happy with the way this wrapped up. I love this little series!
Miriam
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic, realism
Don't wait on that rapprochement with your family member. If you delay it may be too late.
(This isn't the main point, but it is a point, possibly the one with the widest scope of application.)

Eloise
Excuse me while I go cry in the corner because this volume was utter perfection.
Martin
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Martin by: Adam
Shelves: favorites
The conclusion of Yiachi and Kana's story.

What can I say?

description

I definitely know how this story continues in my head...

description

5 stars!!!
Caroline
I didn't enjoy this volume as much as the first one because I don't think it had a hard-hitting moment which shaped the story. I still really liked it though, the family dynamic is excellent and the message is so beautiful. The characters and art are wonderful. It was a lovely ending to the series. Very wholesome!
Rod Brown
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got choked up a couple times reading this gentle book about recognizing and confronting homophobia in yourself and others. Highly recommended.
❄️Nani❄️
So deep and heartfelt.
Cathy  Pratt
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
RTC
Stewart Tame
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely! Now I'm all teary eyed, but in a good way. My Brother's Husband is the story of Yaichi, a single father raising his young daughter Kana. His brother Ryoji died recently. Yaichi and his brother hadn't spoken in a long time. He knows that Ryoji came out as gay and moved to Canada years ago, and that he’d gotten married to another man. And then Mike Flanagan shows up on his doorstep, intending to meet his husband's family and see where he grew up …

This is a story that's as big and welcoming
Andrea Belfiori
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Tanti pianti per questo manga. Consigliato anche a chi (come me) non legge questo genere di solito.
Ryan
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this manga so much. Volume 2 picks off where volume 1 ends and completes this wonderful story of love, acceptance, and family. After his husband Ryoji dies, Mike travels from Canada to Japan to meet his husband’s identical twin brother, Yaichi. Though estranged from his brother, Yaichi let’s Mike live with him and his daughter, Kana, over the next three weeks. This story explores Yaichi’s grief over his brother’s death and the shame of separation when his brother came out. In these books ...more
Andrew Reid
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shut up. I'm not crying, you're crying!
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
4.0 Stars
This is a super cute, bittersweet manga with a wonderful, positive message of acceptance. It was great to see so much character growth in the second volume of this duology.
David
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slightly better than Volume 1.
Matthew Hernandez
What a heartwarming conclusion! Hopefully, We get Kana and Yaichi's visit in Canada (for a future manga), but if we don't I'm happy to have known this two part series and I'm completely satisfied.
Charlos
A satisfying ending to the story arc, in a way that was not dull or obvious. "It" does not happen, if you were worried about it from the first volume. I liked the larger focus on the larger family in this volume.
Joshua
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This little book broke my sweet gay heart. I can't even begin to say how much I enjoyed this book.

While a stormy narrative filled with conflict, Tagame is able to tell a beautiful story about a man recognizing that he has been possessed and driven by the homophobia of his culture. When his brother's husband, a burly Canadian named Mike, appears wanting to know him better he begins to recognize that he was not emotional support for his brother. This second volume then follows Yaichi as he and his
Rachel Macklin
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, lgbtq, manga
I loved the pacing of this story. It's sweet and gentle, and watching these characters become a family is a lovely experience.
Sherry
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-bl, in-english
This was so, so good. In the beginning of the story Yaichi was a guy who, I think, kind of inadvertently, thought bad about gay people. He didn't really know anything about homosexuality because it isn't talked about in public and when it happens, it's usually negative or very hush-hush. Even though his brother came out to him Yaichi never really thought about what it meant for him or his brother and they both didn't approach the topic after that, so that Yaichi was never really confronted with ...more
Nore
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
While I still found it very obvious that this is a series drawn by a man who usually draws nothing but bara manga (leading to some slightly awkward scenes), you really can't hold that against the story.

A bittersweet but heartwarming conclusion, with some fantastic character growth and a gentleness to the introspection that really invites the reader to think about what beliefs they may hold without even realizing it. I really hope this ends up popular enough in Japan that it helps along the chan
Jake Hill
If you've read the first book then you don't need a review. The quality content of this book remain 100% Pure Quality, just like in the first one, except with character growth abounding and it's wonderful and I have no shame in admitting I spent the last part of the book mostly with tears in my eyes.
I could not see very well.
It was rather hindering.
Took a lot longer to finish the book because of it actually.
Super freaking fantastic book. Absolutely a favourite.
Chessa
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*cries cries cries* I didn’t have any expectations about what this second volume would be like - the first was so perfect. There is a lot more growth for Yaichi in this - and it was amazing to see. Kana continues to be so earnest and adorable. And Mike! I love Mike. I’m so sad that there is no more of this story arc (but maybe we can cross our fingers for a story about Yaichi and Kana’s first trip to Canada?)
Stanislav Lozanov
Оhhh I want more chapters!!!
Carmen
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, glbt
As Yaichi comes to term with his twin brother’s death, he also finds that he cares about his brother-in-law and faces his views on homosexuality and realizes that he has changed. Sadly, he did not get to welcome his late brother with open arms after he grows to realize his former views may have hurt him, but he can welcome Mike into his family now and in the future. In this heartfelt final volume, we watch Yaichi and his family spend time together and hope for a better future.

After reading the f
Dylan
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars.

I wanted to love this one, I really did. Just...nothing happened? Vol 1 was pretty slow as well, but this one didn't seem to have the same amount of magic for me.
  • What Did You Eat Yesterday?, Volume 4
  • Husbands
  • Only Serious About You 2
  • Emma, Vol. 04
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 2
Gengoroh Tagame is a Japanese manga artist who specializes in gay BDSM erotic manga, many of which depict graphic violence. The men he depicts are hypermasculine, and tend to be on the bearish side.

Born into a family descended from samurai, Tagame began his career as a manga artist in 1982, while he was studying graphic design at Tama Art University (多摩美術大学). His works have been published in sever

Otouto no Otto (4 books)
  • My Brother's Husband, Volume 1
  • 弟の夫 3 (Otouto no Otto, #3)
  • 弟の夫 4