Start by marking “Coming Home to Roost” as Want to Read:
Coming Home to Roost

Coming Home to Roost

Elliot's in need of a fresh start, so he's dispatched to a new city to work as an apprentice electrician. His boss, Arnie, is an ex-naval officer whose bad temper and frequent advice don't make for easy living — but Elliot's out of options.

Elliot is just settling into some sort of routine when a disturbing rumour surfaces about his ex-girlfriend, Lena.

As Lena tries to tra
Published May 30th 2016 by Penguin Random House New Zealand (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Coming Home to Roost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coming Home to Roost

Bridget
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a treat for me. Partly because I got to read it before it had a cover, when it was just a great big pile of A4 typed pages. I loved this story. I loved the people populating the pages, it feels like New Zealand, it feels just like the stories that students tell me of their lives, it feels homey and perfect and just exactly the kind of story that students need to be reading. They need stories of home. The need to read themselves. The need to have that feeling of home, Mary-Anne has c ...more
Jayne  Downes
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This coming of age book about a young man who had made some bad choices forcing him to move to Wellington to live with a grumpy, old family friend who can offer him employment held my interest and I will be recommending it to senior students. Great to find a well written book with themes we can identify with.
Mandy Hager
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great book - full of real life problems and very real feeling characters. Read it!
Rachael
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book. The relationships are so unique and so well drawn that I found myself completely immersed in the story with 100% emotional investment. I bawled my eyes out which hasn't happened to me since A Monster Calls. Not just for teens - adults will find much to enjoy here as well.
Adele Broadbent
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: older-teens-14
Elliot is trying to get his life on track after living with a girl who his family believe was a bad influence. He has to agree with that and when he moves to Wellington to an electrician’s apprenticeship, he sees a new future. He meets a gorgeous, intelligent girl (so different from his ex, Lena), and gets on well with his boss Arnie who is well into his 70’s and having Elliot board with him.

But the stuff he left behind soon catches up with him, tipping his world upside down. Fear, guilt at hurt
Kathleen Dixon
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Poor Elliot - he's a bit of an idiot. He moved in with his manipulative girlfriend, then got a ghastly tattoo done on his neck, by her friend, when he was very drunk. That's the last straw for his parents - last chance, off to the big city to apprentice to his father's old navy boss. Then when he's almost settled he hears a rumour that the ex-girlfriend is pregnant. To him.

Excellent teen fiction.
Lynn
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Really enjoyed this story and think many young people would too.
Sas
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rooster is a teenage boy who screws his life up for a girl who doesn't really deserve it. Rooster is a mess. He avoids his problems and he takes the cowards way out sometimes, but he's a good guy who is lucky enough to have some amazing people supporting him.
The book was well written, enjoyable, and easy to read. It's nice to have a more realistic tale of teens in NZ, one that says that yes, teens do have sex, and swear, and drink and occassionally get high, but it doesn't mean that the books h
Steph
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nbhs, read-2016
Great dialogue and an excellent understanding of how young people can behave (ie, I will just ignore this really big problem and hope that it goes away. Oh crap, that really big problem didn't go away and now it's a HUGE problem.). And I loved Arnie so much - though that's possibly because I'm turning into him!
NBHS Library
Jess Hale
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I know this book is a nominee in the 2017 New Zealand Book Awards for Children and Young Adults but I'm afraid I just don't see the appeal.

It fell down for me in two major areas:

First, I found the writing stilted and in places just plain bad. I didn't feel like people talked like real people and there was no vibrancy to conversations. I never got a good sense of the main character, Elliot. We didn't see inside his head a lot so I didn't see home actually THINKING about things. There was a lot o
Kelsey
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars -
Meh, It was just okay
Allie // Kitasai
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads, 2-5-star
'You're seventeen, left school, scarred for life,' Dad said, pointing to Elliot's tattoo, 'and living off us like a child.'

I had a few issues with this, and I expected that before I even read it. I picked this up cause it was on sale for $5 and I had no other books with me and I should've known I would not enjoy it that much. I had issues with the way characters were introduced and the general dialogue / writing style of this story.

However, in saying that, the themes addressed in this felt v
Mauzi
Jun 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I admit it, this would have been way down on my TBR pile, but someone from work read it and said it was amazing, so when I got my hands on a readers copy, I figured I'd give it a go. I really enjoyed it - it was a really interesting take on a topic that isn't tackled much in NZ, especially from a male POV. I thought it was a very realistic spin, and I liked the characters and Elliot's dynamic with his family and Arnie a lot. Well worth the read!
Sheryn
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Belinda Cullen-reid
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good work dealing with difficult teenage topics in a realistic manner Mary-anne. An important Young Adult book dealing with relationships and dealing with mistakes.
Julie James
Dee
May 27, 2016
Lily
Jul 04, 2016 rated it liked it
So at first I was like meh, but by the end I was like givememorethisisbrilliant!!!
Krystyna