Start by marking “For Rent” as Want to Read:
For Rent

For Rent

( The Apartment Manager Series)

What's another word for concierge/shrink/garbage collector/warden/adult daycare director? Apartment manager, of course!

When Cambria Clyne—a single mom down on her luck—gets the job as apartment manager at an L.A. apartment complex, she believes her life is turning around. But between having to talk to the retired couple in Apartment 22 about their loud bedroom
Published August 8th 2016 by Velvet Morning Press

Start your review of For Rent
BookLover
ARC requested through Netgalley, and kindly provided by Velvet Morning Press in exchange for an honest review.

This was a hilarious read! I quite enjoyed taking a ride inside the head of amateur sleuth Cambria Clyne. Her observations on life and constant commentary in her head had me laughing out loud the entire way through the book.

Cambria was down on her luck in so many ways. She was a single mom of Lilly, lusting after her drunken one night stand babydaddy, about to be evicted, no job and n/>This
Sara
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed for Chick Lit Central (www.chicklitcentral.com)

Having worked in property management for over a decade, I was very excited to read about Cambria’s experiences. I haven’t been part of that world in a few years, and I was looking for nostalgia, a way to relive my own zany and bizarre experiences. Erin Huss didn’t disappoint. Reading For Rent was like time warping back into my own days of dealing with residents, the highs and lows that come from try
Rachel Gilbey
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

There is that saying that an author should write about what they know, and in this case, it certainly shines through - Erin Huss clearly knows about managing apartments and as a result has written a pure delight of a novel that takes in some of the more bizarre occurrences that an apartment manager may have to deal with, in a very amusing book.

Cambria Clyne is of the breed of chick lit heroines that is the sort that jumps to conclusions very easily, doesn't necessarily weig
Brittany
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
For Rent was such an enjoyable ride, full of hilarious situations and quirky scenes. It was the perfect summer read filled with quick wit, and a light, breezy pace.

Cambria is a 28 year-old single mom who is really struggling with life's up and downs. Losing her job, feeling rejected by her daughter's dad, and facing apartment eviction, Cambria really needs a break. Cue the job she finds as an apartment manager, that includes housing and utilities. Too good to be true? She begins to wonder, when
Laura Henderson
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
The synopsis

Single mom Cambria Clyne gets a job as a L.A apartment complex manager. From having to talk to the couple in Apt 22 about their loud bedroom "activities" to babysitting the man-child in Apt 40, she tackles it all. So, when crime in the community breaks out she adds detective to that list. Joining her are her sexy maintenance man Chase and one time love baby daddy, Tom. As the case unravels,she finds that maybe she's been a naive accomplice all along.

The review

Jeri
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, netgalley
Cambria is a down on her luck single mom. She has applied for every job she can find but unfortunately nothing has came her way. She applies for an apartment manager job and crosses her fingers she'll be hired because it will solve so many of her and her daughter's problems. Thankfully she gets hired but she has no experience running an apartment complex and this one is more like a daycare run amok with all sorts of problems and odd people. The one bright spot is the cute maintenance guy, who ca ...more
Kathy Smith
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the funniest book I think I have ever read. Maybe its so funny because I can relate....Im a property manager and can tell similar stories. Great story line with lots of twists and turns. Great writing style, I have found a new author to read. I love this book and cant wait for the next book in the series to see what the quirky apartment manager Cambria is up to next! I received a free copy of this book for my HONEST review.
Galena
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy on LibraryThing, but I always give an honest review. And from what I read of the blurb, I expected this to be kind of awkward and pretend-funny like so many books with a similar format to this are nowadays. I was very pleasantly surprised to start reading it and see how well-written it is. Very funny, flows well, not too hokey or cliche, just a good funny, light book! I really, really enjoyed it. Now I'm looking for her other books since I really want to keep reading. I wo ...more
F.
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy for an honest review. This was a hilarious, wonderful book to read which had me in stitches the whole time. Cambria is desperate to move out of her apartment with her daughter and finds a job as a apartment manager. What happens next is a series of unbelievable, funny events that had me rooting for her along the way. A great, quick read.
Mary D
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sometimes you just need to read a book like this. For Rent has a bubblegum type writing style with daffy characters. It is a funny and entertaining light-read. The main character, Cambria is a hoot. She gets herself into a few “I love Lucy situations".

I received a free copy for an honest review.
Ronald Keeler
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
For Rent by Erin Huss is a novel with 39 chapters. I received the book from the Library Thing Member Giveaway program in return for a review. Each chapter is filled with sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek humor as the reader is led to possibly commiserate with the series of disasters that is Cambria’s life. The humor, the vernacular, and absurd situations make the book enjoyable. There is nothing deep, no philosophical messages here. I have used this phrase before to describe what I think of this type o ...more
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book; this book is part of The Apartment Manager series written by Erin Huss. Cambria Clyne is a single mom down on her luck. When she gets the job as apartment manager at an L.A. apartment complex, she believes her life is turning around. But between having to talk to the retired couple in Apartment 22 about their loud bedroom "activities" and babysitting the owner's man-child who lives in Apartment 40, Cambria realizes the job is nothing like she'd imagined. When crime takes ov ...more
Lee
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. This book was fun. It was laugh out loud hilarious. I'm planning to read more from this series/author. The only thing keeping it from being a 5 was that I wish it was a romantic comedy mystery. I also think you'd get more exposure if you could add it to the romance genre. This would be a great audible purchase if available.
Charlene Ross
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I found Huss's writing style hilarious and endearing - she's a cozy Sophie Kinsella. I loved the situations her character, Cambria found herself in and found myself laughing out loud throughout the novel. Cozy mystery & chick lit readers will love this novel.
Black Butterfly
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: ADULTS
QUIRKY-CRAZY AND FUNNY BUT AROUND 40% THE ZANY CRAZY HAPPENINGS STARTED WEARING THIN. IT STOPPED BEING SO FUNNY IT WAS TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING, BECAME SILLY AND SAPPY. THE STORYLINE WENT DOWNHILL AFTER ABOUT 50%, I FORCED MYSELF TO FINISH THIS. ;(
Sascha
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
4 1/2 stars
I have been acquiring all kinds of books that would make perfect beach reads. I just keep pretending I’m at the beach (I have a great imagination!) and enjoying these books that come my way. If we have the same tastes, hopefully you’ll find them as beach (escapist) worthy as I have.

Enter For Rent by Erin Huss.

Cambria Clyne is at a turning point in her life. She just lost her job and is about to be evicted from her very bad apartment, when she interviews f
Samantha March
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a review copy
This book was a blast! I was excited when I saw this was a part of a series, but this is actually the second book, and FOR HIRE was the first. That goes to show that these can definitely be read as a standalone, but I know I want to read FOR HIRE now as well! Fast-paced, full of funny moments, and deliciously exciting until the end, I was totally hooked. If you like a good chick lit mystery like myself, check out Erin Huss!
Carol
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Received free reviewer copy from LibraryThing. Crazy, funny story full of crazy and (sometimes) funny characters. Really enjoyed this, good light entertainment. Also liked the fact that the author actually researched her subject well
Vicki Lesage
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a fun book! A perfect blend of chick lit and cozy mystery. I couldn't stop reading -- I had to find out who the bad guy (or girl) was, and I had to see who Cambria ended up with! I laughed out loud more times than I could count. Great read!
TJ
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
An absolutely, delightfully fun and entertaining story! And, a very impressive beginning for a truly gifted new author!
Mathangi Sri
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hilarious writing and the suspenses are well maintained..some scenes though left a bad taste..other than that it had a good mix of mystery and humor
Fluff Smut & Murder
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it

Thank you to NetGalley.com for the opportunity to read an Advanced Reader Copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

As someone who worked for a worldwide apartment management company for almost 15 years, I thought I would get a kick out of the trials and tribulations of an Los Angeles apartment manager. Yes, Cambria has a huge heart and is a terrific mother, but I’m shocked she is able to walk upright on those legs after to jumping to conclusions as often as she did. Seriou
Lindsay
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was the first book I have read by Erin Huss, but it won't be the last. From the beginning of the book, I was hooked and laughing. The characters were so funny, and just so realistic. Cambria, single mom needing a job, accepts a job as an apartment manager and is basically left to train herself. Shortly after she begins, a series of events (hilarious events) and some pretty hysterical paranoia of some apartment traffic AND of course, Kevin. The apartment owner's son. Kevin was the highlight ...more
Kimberly Dietrich
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book should come with a warning!!

This book should come with a warning!! Like caution you will stay up too late reading it, and possibly be late to work because you couldn't stop reading to get in the shower and warning you will laugh out loud in public while reading!!! This book is seriously hilarious!!! I can not wait to read more about Cambria and the crazy life of apartment managing. Thanks Erin, your my new favorite author!! !
Nicki
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a fun and funny book! I really enjoyed following the apartment manager, Cambria, as she worked her way in and out of one fiasco after another. It seemed if it wasn't for bad luck then Cambria would have had no luck at all. She fibbed a little to get the apartment manager's job so it was no wonder things started to go badly on her first day at work. She reads like the kind of person I'd like to be friends with....quirky, amusing and smarter than she looks!
Felicity
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it
I thought this would be a more descriptive book as it is part of a series so I expected very complex characters but in reality for me It was ok but nothing unique. I was a bit disappointed that in parts it read more like a screenplay than a novel but it was an easy read and the story flowed successfully from chaos to the end. The ending however was a bit weak for me and i would have liked a bit more complexity. If you are looking for a light holiday read it is probably good.
Larry T. Tabb
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Light, entertaining, suspenseful and well written!

Great book for something light hearted, occasionally laugh out loud funny, mysterious, crush novels. Frankly, I was surprised about The 'Who dunnit' part :) and glad to see the love triangle twist :)

I'm downloading the next book :)
Tanya Pickruhn
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can completely relate!

Being in the property management industry for 20+years, I can completely relate to the craziness Cambria experienced in her early stages as a manager. Being a manager you wear many hats and that was expressed quite well in this book. Thanks for making this something we can all relate to.
Gina Schwartz
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This novel started off slowly but built into a very interesting well balanced story with an eclectic and sometimes hilarious cast of characters. A nice addition to the "careers" series I have been building up this year.

InD'tale Magazine
4.5/5.0

“For Rent” is a one of a kind, genre-busting tale.

Read full review in the 2016 September issue of InD'tale Magazine.

• The Measure of Love
  • Neptune’s Lair
  • Java Frost (Cupid's Coffeeshop, #1)
  • Where There Is Life (A New Start, #2)
  • Rose Bride (Lust in the Tudor Court, #3)
  • Pretty Bad (Recipes with Romance, #5)
  • A Whyte Christmas
  • Do It Yourself
  • 52 Fights: A Newlywed's Confession
  • Carpool Diem
  • Twilight Siege (The Fae Games, #2)
  • The Void Weaver (Half-Lich, #2)
  • Maybe for You (Whiskey and Weddings, #3)
  • Undressed (Ashton/Rosemoor, #3)
  • Under the Hood (Under the Law #2)
  • Next Time Lucky: Confessions Of Dating Guru
  • Falcon's Prey
  • Cowboy SEAL Christmas (Navy SEAL Cowboys, #3)
My name is Erin Huss. I'm a thirty-something mom of five, wife of one, author and blogger. I enjoy long walks through Target, romance novels, See’s Candy and musicals. I'm originally from the beautiful Central Coast of California, and now reside in Thousand Oaks with my family, which also includes two dogs and a lot of fish.

I worked as an on-site apartment manager for six years. One day, while b

The Apartment Manager Series (4 books)
  • For Hire