Start by marking “Stonewall Jackson's Book of Maxims” as Want to Read:
Stonewall Jackson's Book of Maxims

Stonewall Jackson's Book of Maxims

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  141 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
A thoughtful look at the maxims Stonewall Jackson collected as a cadet at West Point. Each maxim is explained and considered in terms of how it may have affected his actions at various times.
Published September 1st 2005 by Cumberland House Publishing (first published 1853)

To ask other readers questions about Stonewall Jackson's Book of Maxims, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stonewall Jackson's Book of Maxims

Hal Johnson
"'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you' was a household adage in nineteenth-century America. It may have originated in one of Aristotle's thoughts…" (p36).

I hope it's clear to everyone that the Golden Rule did not originate in Aristotle's thought. I wanted to start by making that clear.

So apparently General Stonewall Jackson once wrote down some cliches. This is not in itself a damning or embarrassing act: Cliches are only bad if you're a poet! Cliches may help you get through life
Rachel Brummet
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
I found these maxims extremely inspiring, and they are consistently referred to in my day to day life now. The main categories under which the maxims are placed, according to Jackson, are Choice of Friends, Rules of Conversation, Guides for Good Behavior, Motives to Action, Politeness and Good Breeding, and Objects to Be Affected by Ellie's Death.

My personal favorite maxim falls under the Guides for Good Behavior. It states: "Disregard public opinion when it interfears with your duty." And yes,
Susan O'Bryant
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
It was the lifelong desire of General Stonewall Jackson's to be a kind person, a devout Christian, a gentleman and friend that compelled him to keep a notebook of sorts, his "book of maxims". He researched and reflected upon things that he felt would help him succeed in achieving his personal goals. Who knows, had he been alive in the 21st century, maybe he would have had a blog!

I don't know if it was one of General Jackson's dreams to become a military leader, but fate propelled him and his com
Andrew
Aug 20, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, religion
This was a loan from a friend. I was excited to read it because of the author and I was hoping to find some interesting references to his TTPs in battle and the way he lived his life. However, it is instead chock full of 19th century tips on how to be a gentleman. I have nothing against manners, but its super boring and doesn't really apply to today's culture. He may be a cultural icon and a military genius but he was a bore....boo-yah.
Captain Curmudgeon
Jun 29, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: non-fiction
Stonewall cribbed tons of it from Benjamin Franklin (not sure the editor was aware of that -- at least he doesn't mention it). I'm sure Franklin didn't think he was being particularly original and everyone has cribbed from him since.

The is no new self-help advice; there are only new self-help
books. Maybe only new self-help book covers.
Joelle Haskell
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
My father, a history buff, especially of the Civil War, bought this book for himself, and I read it out of curiosity, and found myself quite pleased. The many maxims concerning etiquette and the treatment of others I've tried to take to heart. It's a great book for becoming a better person, not to mention it offers a direct view into the head of a historical figure.
Spencer
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'd recommend this book for anyone and everyone, not just Stonewall fans, Civil War buffs, or men. It's an incredible peek into the personal moral/manners guide for one of the greatest minds the world has ever seen. A must-read.
Mark Lacy
Disappointing. I had wanted something that would help me understand better what I thought I had heard about Jackson's faith. But this didn't get at that. And what was there was not interesting or useful.
Jferrara
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Jackson's Maxims. He had a very disciplined life and it shows. More people should have such values and dedication to always achieving self perfection.
Michael J
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
quick, and easy to read. helpful, simple, unpretentious. I would recommend this to teenagers of both sexes.
Pamela Poole
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Readers who apply the maxims Jackson lived by will be challenged in light of their own character in comparison.
Scott Bohn
Dec 22, 2008
Paul Graham
Oct 01, 2014
Matthew Smathers
rated it did not like it
Jun 03, 2016
Ezra Adams
Sep 22, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Stonewall Jackson and the American Civil War
  • The Recollections and Letters of General Robert E. Lee (Civil War Library)
  • Beloved Bride: The Letters of Stonewall Jackson to His Wife
  • Robert E. Lee on Leadership: Executive Lessons in Character, Courage, and Vision
  • Call of Duty: The Sterling Nobility of Robert E. Lee
  • Thereby Hangs a Tale
  • Gray Fox: Robert E. Lee and the Civil War
  • The Life and Campaigns of Stonewall Jackson
  • R E Lee:  A Biography:  Volume I
  • Sua Sponte: The Forging of a Modern American Ranger
  • Robert E. Lee: A Biography
  • Shackleton's Way: Leadership Lessons from the Great Antarctic Explorer
  • Economic Thought Before Adam Smith: An Austrian Perspective on the History of Economic Thought, Vol. 1
  • War Room
  • One knee equals two feet
  • The South Was Right!
  • Called to Coach: The Life, Faith and Career of College Football's Most Popular Coach
  • Carry a Big Stick: The Uncommon Heroism of Theodore Roosevelt
Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson was one of the most prominent Confederate generals during the American Civil War.

After attending the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York, Jackson served in the Mexican-American War from 1846 to 1848.

Jackson took a teaching position at the Virginia Military Institute (VMI), in Lexington, Virginia. He became Professor of Natural and Experimenta
More about Thomas Jackson